Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

wouldn't the independent option be the Minutemen? The Minutemen are the people of the Commonwealth and their only stated goal is protecting people from assholes and monsters.

EDIT: Wow beaten hard

Stingwings are horrible, awful bastards but they don't kill you quite as fast as cazadores did.

Don't forget Bloodbugs, they seem really really resilient for what are giant mosquitoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Accidentally threw a smoke grenade inside Diamond City.

Thank gently caress it didn't work/there wasn't anything close enough to hit.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So, Preston won't really interact with me. This happened after retaking The Castle. I was still getting Minuteman Settlement quests, but I can't trade or really talk to him. I took him off guard duty at Sanctuary, but still nothing. I think he hates me. :ohdear: Maybe Splash damage from using the missile launcher during the Mirelurk Queen fight? Is this supposed to happen, or is there a way to fix this? I really want that "Unite We Stand" perk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kiggles posted:

So, Preston won't really interact with me. This happened after retaking The Castle. I was still getting Minuteman Settlement quests, but I can't trade or really talk to him. I took him off guard duty at Sanctuary, but still nothing. I think he hates me. :ohdear: Maybe Splash damage from using the missile launcher during the Mirelurk Queen fight? Is this supposed to happen, or is there a way to fix this? I really want that "Unite We Stand" perk.

have you completed whatever incidental minutemen quests you have active?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iceshade posted:

:eng101: To bring this scooby snack up again, if anyone is having trouble getting ammo or running out of it ... pick up enemy guns. You'll automatically empty them (and they always seem to be full). That means that basically every laser weapon you pick up will net you 30 fusion cells. It explains why that mission where I fought a lot of synths and picked up all of their lovely institute lasers gained me like 800 fusion cells, where I only had 150 or so the past 20 levels.

I had no idea this was a thing. That is super obtuse.

But man I am glad I pick up every gun to toss onto my follower to sell.

CJacobs posted:

Curie confirmed for the ultimate waifu, sorry other companions you just don't stack up

:swoon:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

sector_corrector posted:

Is there a decent guide to weapon mods? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth speccing into Science and Gun Nut 4. I definitely wish that there were more gun bodies... I'm getting sort of sick of the limited options even if the mods do add a little flavor.
If you don't feel like spending the points on Gun Nut but have already specced / plan to take Local Leader and the barter perk, the top-tier gun shop you can build will sell weapons that have the advanced mods on them.

Overdoze posted:

Where the gently caress could I get some underarmour that has ok stats and is not a vault suit? Actually, where can I get some decent looking armour in general? I'm tired of having this bright blue suit with like pipes and poo poo taped on my arms. I just wanna look cool :(
Personally I just choose whatever underarmor I find cool. Orange BoS plugsuit thing for right now. Road leathers always look cool, and military or army fatigues look good with combat armor parts.

Alternately, just put on a shiny dress and wear it under your power armor at all times.

E:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. That is super obtuse.

Picking up guns in video game gives ammo? Preposterous, how could they make this less intuitive?!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Speaking of Curie, she now switches to melee whenever anyone gets within fifteen feet of her and it suuuuucks

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
I found a mod to make the X-01 even better.

:black101:

Also I'm glad HTML works when renaming guns.

Ought to throw the scope on for authenticity, but I'm not wild on magnified optics :shobon:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I learned to hate scopes in this game when I tried to use one on a combat rifle

it was awful

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Overdoze posted:

Where the gently caress could I get some underarmour that has ok stats and is not a vault suit? Actually, where can I get some decent looking armour in general? I'm tired of having this bright blue suit with like pipes and poo poo taped on my arms. I just wanna look cool :(

if you do the railroad cache quests you can upgrade the army fatigues to have 100 DR with armorer 3.

titties posted:

If you don't feel like spending the points on Gun Nut but have already specced / plan to take Local Leader and the barter perk, the top-tier gun shop you can build will sell weapons that have the advanced mods on them.

Personally I just choose whatever underarmor I find cool. Orange BoS plugsuit thing for right now. Road leathers always look cool, and military or army fatigues look good with combat armor parts.

Alternately, just put on a shiny dress and wear it under your power armor at all times.

E:

Picking up guns in video game gives ammo? Preposterous, how could they make this less intuitive?!

best dress in the game imo, the sequins are properly sparkly:

and it is obtuse because that's not how your own guns/inventory work

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 18, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Could any of you test how long it takes to load a save somewhere inside Boston right after starting the game from Steam? It takes 55 seconds for me to load a save directly outside of Diamond City, and this is on a SSD which a character that ran straight from the vault to Boston (So messing around with 10000 items doesn't interfere). That seems a bit on the high side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

Could any of you test how long it takes to load a save somewhere inside Boston right after starting the game from Steam? It takes 55 seconds for me to load a save directly outside of Diamond City, and this is on a SSD which a character that ran straight from the vault to Boston (So messing around with 10000 items doesn't interfere). That seems a bit on the high side.

That is longer than a load takes on a PS4 so something is funky there.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I have something potentially useful here. A autohotkeys script that fixes all the key remapping and other problems I've run into while playing. It allows for weapon cycling using [ and ] keys, with a configurable number of weapons. It will keep track even if you switch weapons using the number keys. It also features aim toggling with the right mouse button, and while aim is toggled, you can toggle hold breath with the space bar. Other key maps are for use with the 'ijkl' movement style, and left-handed mouse play. Feel free to use and/or modify. If you come up with something cool, repost.

code:
; Fallout 4 General script
; features: cycle weapons with [], toggle scope with right click, toggle hold breath with space
; while in aim mode, various remaps for use with ijkl key movement and left-handed mouse

WeaponIndex := 0
WeaponIndexMin := 1
WeaponIndexMax := 5
WeaponKeyDelay := 50
JumpKeyDelay := 10
ToggleScope := 0
ToggleBreath := 0

#SingleInstance Force
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 99999
#IfWinActive ahk_class Fallout4
#Persistent
#UseHook
~u::e
~e::u
~\::TAB
~r::o
~o::r
~-::a
~=::d
~j::a

~1::WeaponIndex := 1
~2::WeaponIndex := 2
~3::WeaponIndex := 3
~4::WeaponIndex := 4
~5::WeaponIndex := 5

~]::
if (WeaponIndex = 0) {
	WeaponIndex := WeaponIndexMin
} else if (WeaponIndex = WeaponIndexMax) {
} else {
	WeaponIndex := WeaponIndex + 1
}

SetKeyDelay -1
Send {Blind}{%WeaponIndex% DownTemp}
Sleep %WeaponKeyDelay%
Send {Blind}{%WeaponIndex% Up}

return

~[::
if (WeaponIndex = 0) {
} else if (WeaponIndex = WeaponIndexMin) {
	WeaponIndex := WeaponIndexMax
} else {
	WeaponIndex := WeaponIndex - 1
}

SetKeyDelay -1
Send {Blind}{%WeaponIndex% DownTemp}
Sleep %WeaponKeyDelay%
Send {Blind}{%WeaponIndex% Up}

return

*RButton Up::
If (ToggleScope := !ToggleScope) {
	Send {Click Down Right}
} Else {
	Send {RButton up}
	if (ToggleBreath) {
		Send {Blind}{LAlt Up}
		ToggleBreath := 0
	}
}

Return

*Space Up::
If (ToggleScope = 0) {
	Send {Blind}{Space DownTemp}
	Sleep %JumpKeyDelay%
	Send {Blind}{Space Up}
} Else {
	If (ToggleBreath := !ToggleBreath) {
		Send {Blind}{LAlt DownTemp}
	} Else {
		Send {Blind}{LAlt Up}
	}
}

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So it turns out that the Gunners have vertibirds too. I saw one touch down and dispatch a squad, then stay touched down until it was blown up by me throwing a fatman at it. No clue if it was a bug or not, but it was definitely a surprise. Especially in the middle of that chaos.

Meanwhile a BOS knight squad, a second squad lead by two initiates, a small army of raiders and ghoul raiders, gunners, and super mutants duked it out as those poor bastards got gunned down in the no mans land between the flooded out town and radioactive quarry that the brotherhood were assaulting. Two mutants just sat on top of the buildings in the town they had cleared out of raiders and dakka'd the poo poo out of the poo poo out of them with miniguns.

The south side of the map is nuts. It's just a constant BoS offensive with bandits and ex-military looking raiders desperately duking it out and trying to hold off all the batshit insane post-apocalyptic threats.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 18, 2015

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

coyo7e posted:

Amazing job! I would KILL for more outdoor streetlamp-style lighting options though.

Hang some light bulbs/lamps from the Basketball hoops. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd_GfxhiFjo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wait are people really having trouble remapping their keys?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

have you completed whatever incidental minutemen quests you have active?

No actually. Couple are way off at the ends of the map. I'll worry about it until after those are wrapped up. Thanks. Kind of poo poo if they tied his Companion availability to whether there is an active quest with him. How can we Stand United, if United We do not Stand?!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
okay fess up, who else picked that lockpick door that was just in the middle of an open wall in that one apartment near goodneighbour? beth got me good on that one

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 18, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ImpAtom posted:

That is longer than a load takes on a PS4 so something is funky there.

HOLY poo poo Bethesda is incompetent. Switching to borderless windowed cuts loading time to under 20 seconds. Switching back to fullscreen....55 seconds.

DO NOT PLAY IN FULLSCREEN

(Though knowing Bethesda, something else will probably break in borderless windowed mode)

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
"I believe a sniper has found us . . . that is the right word, yes?"

says Curie as a bloodbug flies at her face

No, Curie. No that's not right.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So why the hell are we literally shacking up in Sanctuary when there's a perfectly nice vault less than a two minute hike away? Up on a nice, easy to defend hill no less? Just fortify that thing, do some farming up there, and keep everything else down below. Heck, we even have refrigeration once we move the popsicles out of their coffins

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the reason the Brotherhood lowered their recruitment standards beacuse they wanted a bunch of disposable grunts to send to their death against super mutants? Cause that's what it feels like when I see a squad of scribes armed with pistols boldly charging into a heavily fortified super mutant camp.

ymgve posted:

HOLY poo poo Bethesda is incompetent. Switching to borderless windowed cuts loading time to under 20 seconds. Switching back to fullscreen....55 seconds.

DO NOT PLAY IN FULLSCREEN

(Though knowing Bethesda, something else will probably break in borderless windowed mode)

For some reason my monitor's resolution isn't supported by this games borderless option. Never had that problem with any game before, even Bethesda ones. :shrug:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

So I follow Brother Simon into his office and the little poo poo tells me I can either give him all my stuff or he'll take it. I decide to make a threat of my own, but barely get two words out before a vertibird crashes violently into the building and decapitates him. That wasn't quite the threat I had in mind, but ok.

What do you lose if you accept?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
As someone with literally zero modding experience, how hard would it be to make a mod that shares food/water across all settlements if you have supply lines set up?

Because between Abernathy Farm/Sanctuary, I have enough food/water for years. Let me ship it to my other communities!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rookersh posted:

As someone with literally zero modding experience, how hard would it be to make a mod that shares food/water across all settlements if you have supply lines set up?

Because between Abernathy Farm/Sanctuary, I have enough food/water for years. Let me ship it to my other communities!

Pretty loving easy considering the base game already works like that.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The Brotherhood have probably lost about a dozen vertibirds and dozens of knights and scribes in my game so far, which is impressive given that the Prydwen has all of 6 beds in its crew area.

Speedball posted:

What do you lose if you accept?

Beats me. I thought about reloading to find out but the vertibird's antics triggered a load of nearby mutants and I got sidetracked by a battle with them. Couldn't be bothered after that.

EDIT: I was in power armour too at the time. For all the emphasis on power armour as this game's gimmick (as shouts were in Skyrim), it's a shame there aren't more dialogue options along the lines of "I'm wearing a fuckoff 7ft suit of augmented power armour with gleaming red eyes, and you're wearing a jacket that hasn't been dry-cleaned in 200 years. Would you like to reconsider your position?"

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a gimmick to the Boston Airport settlement? You can't build food sources there, nor can you build recruitment beacons.

Edit: Also, what happens if you pickpocket the Fusion core from the Brotherhood lady without legs walking around in the Power Suit area?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RentACop posted:

Speaking of Curie, she now switches to melee whenever anyone gets within fifteen feet of her and it suuuuucks

I just gave her the world series bat (not sure why any of this is in spoilers). Makes me smile hearing that "Crack!" <cheers>

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Wait, what?

Sanctuary is getting between 30-40 water right now, but only about 7 food. Abernathy is chock full of farmers, and mutfruits, which is getting me 20-30 food, but they are super waterstarved. Both are in the same supply chain.

Is my game just bugged or something, or are those resources spread out in ways I'm not noticing?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Technically, they are shared, but only for crafting stations. For example, when you go into the workbench storage and look at the junk stored there, it doesn't tally up to what you see listed as available from a crafting bench, or in build mode. I suppose the easiest solution would be to have every workbench point to the same container, but it might make supply lines pointless. Something more complex MIGHT require the construction kit, but I suspect it might be possible with whatever people are using to make mods already.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It does, but it doesn't. I have like 50+ water stored at Sanctuary, but only like 5 at Hangman's Ally, but they are definitely linked by a supply line. I DO have access to that water when crafting, but that is the extent. I can't just pull it out of the workbench storage and sell the water I have rolling in at Sanctuary hills and sell it at my vendors in Hangman's Ally unless I fast travel over there and pull it out manually.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rookersh posted:

Wait, what?

Sanctuary is getting between 30-40 water right now, but only about 7 food. Abernathy is chock full of farmers, and mutfruits, which is getting me 20-30 food, but they are super waterstarved. Both are in the same supply chain.

Is my game just bugged or something, or are those resources spread out in ways I'm not noticing?

I'm not sure what to tell you, in my game settlements are down resources without showing up red.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

NecroMonster posted:

Wait are people really having trouble remapping their keys?

yeah, man. try remapping the keys for a consistent one-handed map on the right hand. It's nigh-impossible without something like autohotkeys. Think of all the places where the hard-coded asdf keys are used, or frickin Tab for Escape. I am finally able to enjoy the game fully, with my keymap.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are there any good places to spend large amounts of money? I have more ammo than I'll ever need and 10k caps burning a hole in my pocket.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can I just rid of Bobbleheads and magazines/other miscellaneous or do I need them in my inventory to keep their effects?

Also, what is a good source of income in the game? Everything pays poo poo. Level 23 and I still just blow whatever extra cash I have on whatever ammo I'm low on.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Could someone tell me about the Brotherhood and your farms? I saw people mentioning that the Brotherhood will ask you to give them your farms. Is it only the ones that are marked on the map with a tractor+field icon?

Can you say no? Can you continue their quest line if you refuse?

If I do hand over the farms do I get a chance to scrap all the poo poo I built and clear out the workshops beforehand? How do I know if I'm getting close to that point?

I've finished the missing patrol quest and done at least 5 each of the murder and tech retrieval radiant missions but nothing has happened so far.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

NESguerilla posted:

Can I just rid of Bobbleheads and magazines/other miscellaneous or do I need them in my inventory to keep their effects?

they're permanent. you can build a bobblehead stand and a magazine rack/shelf to store them in if you like collecting stuff or just sell them for caps if you don't

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

titties posted:

Could someone tell me about the Brotherhood and your farms? I saw people mentioning that the Brotherhood will ask you to give them your farms. Is it only the ones that are marked on the map with a tractor+field icon?

Can you say no? Can you continue their quest line if you refuse?

If I do hand over the farms do I get a chance to scrap all the poo poo I built and clear out the workshops beforehand? How do I know if I'm getting close to that point?

I've finished the missing patrol quest and done at least 5 each of the murder and tech retrieval radiant missions but nothing has happened so far.

Actually, if someone could just go ahead and fully explain how this works that'd be great too. Because if I side with them I want to know if I get them back. Or if I can take them back later through another faction.

Also the reason we don't use Vault 111 is because it contains the corpse of your dead significant other. Given the remarks from the other companions it's clear that the PC is harboring some serious issues over what happened there. Moving in would probably not be something they'd consider. And with how deadly most vaults are I can't imagine that any residents that are aware of the vaults would think that that would be a good idea.

Plus it's not so much a vault so much as it is a glorified storage chamber. I mean, assuming the rest of it isn't off screen that is.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lester Shy posted:

Are there any good places to spend large amounts of money? I have more ammo than I'll ever need and 10k caps burning a hole in my pocket.

Go buy the gun from the shop in the vault west of Diamond city, if you haven't already it's basically a double damage combat rifle. You can also buy a house in diamond city from the mayor's PA for 2000

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

they're permanent. you can build a bobblehead stand and a magazine rack/shelf to store them in if you like collecting stuff or just sell them for caps if you don't

Excellent. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Archonex posted:

Also the reason we don't use Vault 111 is because it contains the corpse of your dead significant other. Given the remarks from the other companions it's clear that the PC is harboring some serious issues over what happened there. Moving in would probably not be something they'd consider. And with how deadly most vaults are I can't imagine that any residents that are aware of the vaults would think that that would be a good idea.

Plus it's not so much a vault so much as it is a glorified storage chamber. I mean, assuming the rest of it isn't off screen that is.
still better than suburban shitshacks starring my missing son's crib and the toys he'll never play with ever again :colbert:

• Locked thread