Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Remember when ipods were not just Mac only, but firewire only too? Lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have one of the very first ones. 5gb, firewire only, mechanical rotating wheel with opto-encoder slots underneath like an old school mouse. all it could do was play mp3s and also breakout if you held some buttons down on the about screen

it was cash

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There was a very real chance of Steve Jobs not allowing ipods to switch off Firewire only for additional years, and it could have ended up with the ipod being niche forever (since only macs and a few random pcs had firewire ports). Apple was real lucky he was talked out of that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

aw poo poo remember when Pepsi gave away all those iTunes songs? poo poo was cash and you could tilt the bottle a certain way and see if it had the free song or not

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingexecutive posted:

aw poo poo remember when Pepsi gave away all those iTunes songs? poo poo was cash and you could tilt the bottle a certain way and see if it had the free song or not

I did that with lemon ice Gatorade and got free gatorades it owned.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Pinball Wizard posted:

In 1997, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. The next year, it turned a profit of over $300 million. How was this possible? They admitted to themselves that their products needed to change radically.

“You know what’s wrong with this company?” said Steve Jobs at the time. “The products suck.” The company went on the release the iMac, and later, iPods, iPads, and iPhones. Today it is the most valuable company in the world.

Can this happen for BlackBerry? It’s more possible than you think.

Last month the company released its most innovative product in years: the BlackBerry Priv. This new phone solves nearly every issue that contributed to the firm’s epic collapse, namely a lack of apps, a clunky user interface, and outdated hardware. BlackBerry may have found its version of the iPhone in one product.

jesus christ lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

has anyone said blackberry privy yet

cause it's toilet

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

flakeloaf posted:

has anyone said blackberry privy yet

cause it's toilet

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
yo blackberry I will do John Chen's job for literally 1/2 of what you're paying him and you will get the same results

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'll do it for the same amount but drive the company into the ground twice as fast

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ill turn the corporate hq into a series of reality tv shows where i force my corporate slaves do embarrassing poo poo on camera

we won't even have to pay them extra because anyone loving stupid enough to still work for blackberry at this point will do anything to stay

this will generate more revenue than blackberry is currently making

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it'll be like undercover boss except without medical bankruptcy or crushing racial inequality, and at the end of every episode all of the employees get blacksberry instead of cash or vacations

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

it'll be like undercover boss except without medical bankruptcy or crushing racial inequality, and at the end of every episode all of the employees get blacksberry instead of cash or vacations

you monster

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

:911: lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Blackberry believes in a “balanced” approach to encryption, incorporating lawful intercept capabilities, and the company prioritizes cooperation with law enforcement, Chief Operating Officer Marty Beard said Tuesday.

“We very much take a balanced approach” to the issue of encryption, he told the FedTalks government IT summit, differentiating Blackberry’s approach from that of some of their competitors who are “all about encryption all the way.”
lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

"Use us if you want to be secure*!"

*we can let anyone see what you're doing if someone asks nicely enough

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lolll

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

THATS UNFAIR
THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mishaq posted:

lol

"Use us if you want to be secure*!"
*we can let anyone see what you're doing if someone asks nicely enough

i've been saying that for years. they willingly give out their encryption keys to any government that asks. the only thing your BB communication is secure from is opportunistic non-state actors

that in itself isn't a bad thing, at least your phone won't get mitm'd on some airport cafe hotspot, but touting it as unbreakable security is a bit much. not to mention bby has access to all of your communications since everything is routed through them, any compromise of their network (see nortel and chinese hackers having access for a decade) means every bby customer is compromised

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i've been saying that for years. they willingly give out their encryption keys to any government that asks. the only thing your BB communication is secure from is opportunistic non-state actors

that in itself isn't a bad thing, at least your phone won't get mitm'd on some airport cafe hotspot, but touting it as unbreakable security is a bit much. not to mention bby has access to all of your communications since everything is routed through them, any compromise of their network (see nortel and chinese hackers having access for a decade) means every bby customer is compromised

if you design something where the platform owner has keys to give out, it's inherently insecure

some opportunistic hacker can just hack into bb hq and get the keys theoretically

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the blackberry priv

because you only get 4/7 of privacy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

the blackberry priv

you get the PRIVilege of 4/7ths worth of PRIVacy :smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mishaq posted:

if you design something where the platform owner has keys to give out, it's inherently insecure

some opportunistic hacker can just hack into bb hq and get the keys theoretically

they may not even need the keys themselves. based on the outages a few years ago and bits of information from former rim employees it's likely there's only two DCs handling all worldwide bby traffic. if traffic is unencrypted at any point internally, it's all compromised

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

didn't the book "losing the signal" admit in the first chapter that they killed their EU POP and only have one in Waterloo now?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

didn't the book "losing the signal" admit in the first chapter that they killed their EU POP and only have one in Waterloo now?

yeah it was during that big downtime event a few years back

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pinterest Mom posted:

the blackberry priv

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
bb told us they were going to have dcs in south america/africa/multiple in asia/new ones in europe/new ones in america

after sniffing around diagnosing some perf issues we realized all the "new dcs" had never been brought up and they were just lbs that redirected to waterloo/europe

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've been told the story a few times by ex employees and I think it was something like this. They either shut down a data center or redirected Euope's traffic to Waterloo without any kind of stress test. Fail-over systems didn't work and they scrambled to buy hardware from IBM to get infrastructure in place.

You would think that this would be a lesson learned right? Well, there is another local tech company that hired most of the RIM managers that were laid off. This same company brought down the University of Waterloo's online learning portal for days because they switched storage mediums on PRODUCTION without doing any testing in DEV or QA.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unbreakable security (key is under the doormat)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bonzo posted:

I've been told the story a few times by ex employees and I think it was something like this. They either shut down a data center or redirected Euope's traffic to Waterloo without any kind of stress test. Fail-over systems didn't work and they scrambled to buy hardware from IBM to get infrastructure in place.

You would think that this would be a lesson learned right? Well, there is another local tech company that hired most of the RIM managers that were laid off. This same company brought down the University of Waterloo's online learning portal for days because they switched storage mediums on PRODUCTION without doing any testing in DEV or QA.

how the gently caress do you even get cowboys like this in corporate it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

useless b school roommates/frat bros need jobs too

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I've worked in Enterprise IT for the last 8 years and you would be surprised what goes on. I have no idea how the world has not blown up by now.

I've seen upgrades done with no backups, schema changes applied to production databases during peak access, you name it. I've even seen guys bounce a machine by yanking the power cord because all of the terminal server sessions were full.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

a corporate culture with an over-fattened middle management, which creates an compounding set of rules that are meant to hide the true reason of fuckups (incompetent employees) while covering rear end

fun example, losing the signal starts with a waterloo noc failure. since then it is corporate policy that all discussions during a noc outage need to be recorded
so a noc outage happened, a massive email thread was spawned, and eventually everyone figures out you need a call so the 8+ teams that need to coordinate on the outage can do so
the only acceptable way to record a noc outage teleconference is through a special noc teleconference conference line, in which you need to dial in or be called into by an actual operator
...but the noc teleconference conference line was having issues, and people were waiting 40+ minutes and not getting added to the calls, or would get a buggy call in that would say a few sentences in french and hang up
and no one wants to be the target of the 20+ middle managers that need "make serious changes" aka find someone to lynch, so everyone just sat around with a noc down. eventually someone at the noc restarted a router and things got unfucked. no postmortem, except to ask why there was no noc conference line transcription to go over

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what the gently caress is a blackberry?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackberry are such a loving joke.

"here's the priv it stands for privacy!"
"why yes we will unlock your device for any government that asks nicely"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rim/blackberry has never been about actual privacy, let alone privacy for any given user. it's been about helping corporations cover their asses. that means total control over the device's data -- sometimes hiding it from the public, sometimes revealing it to the executives or hr depts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bonzo posted:

I've worked in Enterprise IT for the last 8 years and you would be surprised what goes on. I have no idea how the world has not blown up by now.

I've seen upgrades done with no backups, schema changes applied to production databases during peak access, you name it. I've even seen guys bounce a machine by yanking the power cord because all of the terminal server sessions were full.

i'm used to small/medium business it where this poo poo happens on the reg because the infrastructure just sort of accreted around whatever shitlord fell into the position when the company started as a mom and pop shop or whatever. the problem there is no one ever bothers with silly things like standards or best practices. to see the same bullshit in a (formerly) large scale player like rim would be surprising if not for them being a terribly company throughout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

the data center hosting the business critical software my company makes has gone down 5 times in 3 months so none of our customers can log in for a good half day or so

no changes have been made to data center personnel

• Locked thread