Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I read that one of the Picket Fences books lets you build planters. Are those like decorative plants, or can you actually put food plants in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how the gently caress did anyone play this game and go "yes. every enemy having infinite molotovs that never miss is a good thing"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Played through first time as a Minuteman, went back through on the Institute track and it's really never very well explained but basically what I can figure is this:

The Institute sat in it's hole doing science stuff for years and years, poked it's head out on the surface when they started running out of stuff, found there were other people still alive and tried to help those people get going. It's mentioned by Father that they tried to help the surface develop and it always turned in on itself and the factions collapsed rather than work together. Now I'm guessing since they never revealed how much they had, they never had to worry about anyone coming after them so they simple fell back in their hole, and they realized that in order to keep things moving with resources from the surface they needed to have agents on the surface, rather than actually send anyone there, they decided it would be best to build robots to accomplish this task. The robots would also function as their army should they need to defend their resources on land, which is where Kellogg comes in. They quickly realized that an army of Gen 1s on the surface would be too obvious and limited, so they branched off into making Gen 2s, and that's where Shaun's DNA comes in as radiated/mutated blood doesn't have problems for whatever reason. Deploying these synths on the surface was a start but still would be too obvious, so instead they started having them replace people in order to better manage their connections and not have any obvious army or supply lines. Around this time the "Patriot" starts sending the ones that are showing free will to the surface so they can have a better life. These synths get picked up by people and the Railroad gets formed. Poorly performing replacements reveal their ruse to the common man and anti-synth fear starts to spread and the Institute becomes vilified.

Meanwhile the Institute continues to progress it's various random projects in the name of science, believing that they are the last hope of humanity. Not a particularly uncommon theme in Fallout. What is the hope for humanity? Well SCIENCE! Seriously, it's poor writing but remember that the Enclave wanted to colonize Mars or whatever, so it's not a far out theory to think that a group of scientists would be deluded into thinking that making android gorillas was somehow going to lead to a golden age of mankind. Yeah they could expand on this a little better and have you actually question Father and have him just spout rhetoric about science being the savior or whatever but the dialogue is pretty lazy in this game to be honest.

So anyway, the next big problem for the Institute is power, and they need to get their reactor going, which relies on them getting prewar tech, which is where you come in. Then they find out that the Brotherhood and Railroad are both trying to take them out so you get tasked to stop them first. Game ends, and the Institute lives happily ever after digging deeper into the earth, occasionally scavenging from the lesser beings on the surface, and continuing to make random arbitrary scientific advancements.

I think my only complaint is that the Institute wasn't bogged down in ridiculous levels of idle scientific/technological achievement like we are now in real life. Getting down there and having Father tell you that they're better because they all have pipboy 7s which allow them to control their "clean toaster" via radio waves, and having everyone be addicted to Dandy Boy Crush would have been hilarious. Then Father asking you to help refocus everyone as the new director, to get everyone back on track in figuring out how to continue to advance humanity in meaningful ways would make sense. Instead it makes no sense as you have exactly 0 vision of what the best of humanity should look like, or rather if the intent was to focus the Instutute on trying to recreate prebombs America then you'd be perfect. Again poor writing.

So there, some speculation on my part but from what I was able to read between the lines, I think that's how things played out. Still unclear what the ultimate goal is, but I think it's sort of a science for science's sake thing rather than a concrete plan.

This is a good write up. And about the science for science's sake part The FEV virus research seems to be just that. The guy working on it says there is nothing more to be learned and they haven't learned poo poo in a decade(or decades), but they keep at it because :science:.

Also my take away from this is that everything bad is because of the Railroad so gently caress them. :colbert:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

There is in fact a hidden modifier to damage... on survival, where you do half damage and enemies receive more damage.

I'm pretty sure there's also a damage multiplier for the other difficulties but I don't know for sure and it's not an alterable GMST in any event.

he could also be playing on very easy or something, but I recommend setting your game to survival for the enhanced AI and healing/resistance changes, and using my mod to rebalance the damage:

Captn Kurp posted:

I was having the same problem, I was playing on hard and it was quite boring putting 25-50 rounds into someone to kill them, I turned it down to normal and the game is a bit more enjoyable now. If that's not the case, are you modding your weapons? It seems mobs don't level with you, so maybe you're in a more difficult area than he is?
We are both playing on normal. I really don't get it. The game didn't start out this way either, normal trash spawn raiders have gotten harder as the game has gone on. I feel like some quest must give you a temporary debuff, and some how that has gotten stuck on.
I have all my craft skills, rifleman, and bloody mess maxed for my level, I don't really know how I could get any more damage.

It almost feels like I am playing oblivion again, where I hit level 10 just from spamming jump and I can't kill anything. I feel like I would have been better off not leveling up at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't know why everyone in this Vault is acting so worried. They're acting like I have some horrible disease, but those Molerats never laid a claw on me thanks to my semi-auto explosive combat rifle :smuggo:. Incidentally, thank you for the general warning about that. It's kind of a shame the game's clearly not prepared to consider you getting through the secret area of the Vault without getting the disease yourself.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ok I didn't really give a poo poo about scarcity of crafting materials, but scrounging for cans for aluminum to repair my power armor is pissing me right off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlternateAccount posted:

Ok I didn't really give a poo poo about scarcity of crafting materials, but scrounging for cans for aluminum to repair my power armor is pissing me right off.

Clean out the institute

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Get yourself to the northeast corner of the map and have a look through the fish packing factory.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

eSporks posted:

We are both playing on normal. I really don't get it. The game didn't start out this way either, normal trash spawn raiders have gotten harder as the game has gone on. I feel like some quest must give you a temporary debuff, and some how that has gotten stuck on.
I have all my craft skills, rifleman, and bloody mess maxed for my level, I don't really know how I could get any more damage.

It almost feels like I am playing oblivion again, where I hit level 10 just from spamming jump and I can't kill anything. I feel like I would have been better off not leveling up at all.

yeah but are you modding your weapons?

Also install that mod I forgot to link: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Collaborating with Russian modder shadwar, I've released a mod that makes the game display the full lines of what your character is going to say in conversation, instead of just a paraphrase. It also revamps the interface so that the game will now display dialogue options in a list and use the number keys for input, instead of clustering all of them together and forcing you to use the arrow keys.

Here are some examples of what it looks like in action:

Download it here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235

Enjoy!

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

So I hosed up somehow and I can't interact with or command Mama Murphy to do anything in Sanctuary Hills any more. I gave her a piece of armor which made her strip naked with no clothing in her inventory, and in a panic I used the console to disable/enable her to get her outfit back, but now she's uninteractable. This was a few days ago, so going to a save prior would wipe 80% of my progress.

Does anyone know of anything I could possibly do to fix this, or am I just stuck with what is now a perpetually unemployed immortal old lady?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why do you care about Mama Murphy in the first place?

EDIT: Yeah this game definitely has physics fuckery on loading into a zone sometimes. Case and point;

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 18, 2015

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do you care about Mama Murphy in the first place?

Mostly at this point because I can't kill her, and if I just disable her I'll be stuck with a higher population count.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Collaborating with Russian modder shadwar, I've released a mod that makes the game display the full lines of what your character is going to say in conversation, instead of just a paraphrase. It also revamps the interface so that the game will now display dialogue options in a list and use the number keys for input, instead of clustering all of them together and forcing you to use the arrow keys.

Download it here:

Enjoy!

This seems pretty great. How's it work with a gamepad?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is a good write up. And about the science for science's sake part The FEV virus research seems to be just that. The guy working on it says there is nothing more to be learned and they haven't learned poo poo in a decade(or decades), but they keep at it because :science:.

Also my take away from this is that everything bad is because of the Railroad so gently caress them. :colbert:
So basically The Institute is like The Big MT, minus the jokes and mad science?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Rookersh posted:

Also am I the only person running 9 Cha/10 Int? Because this is outright broken.

I'm set at permanent 19% HP, thanks to my rads pushing me down that far. That means I'm at permanent Nerd Rage, which boosts my damage by 40% at all times. I also have Bloody Mess ( 15% ), Lone Wanderer ( 25% ), and Black Widow ( 15% to the majority gender type in the game ). I've also got Heavy Gunner ( 100% ), but really, whatever weapon type you like can go in there.

Between Toughness/Nerd Rage/Lone Wanderer perma procced up, plus being always in Power Armor thanks to Nuclear Physicist, I take between 1-2 damage per hit, if I do get hit. I can go afk in combat and come back, and I'll still be around 15% health. Nothing can kill me, or hell, even do damage to me, which makes my perma 19% health to keep Nerd Rage up basically a nonissue. And since I'm doing 195% increased damage to everything around me, nothing can survive any of my attacks.

Which would be silly enough, except for Wasteland Whisperer. I'm now of the level I can use it on Deathclaws I meet in the world, and well. You can whisper multiple creatures. They don't despawn/run off, they only stop following you when they die. So I have a pack of about 3-4ish Deathclaws that just follow me everywhere, and will MURDER EVERYTHING that attempts to get near me. From testing, they actually get all the benefits of Inspirational ( like Dogmeat ), while also not taking away Lone Wanderer ( like Dogmeat ).

This is amazing and the only thing that's stopping me is that I started with 1 int so I could be hot unfrozen caveman lawyer. Once I saw that the game really wanted me to have Gun Nut and :science: I bumped it to like 4 but it broke my heart.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Cirosan posted:

Enjoy!

holy poo poo, finally i can see how hard my character is gonna snark
also i can stop using the arrow keys yesss

Tupperwarez posted:

they're the big MT minus good writing yes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Archonex posted:

So each faction gets some sort of special power later on. IE: Vertbirds, cannons, etc, etc. What does the Institute and Railroad get?

Edit: Also I think the Minutemen are really bugged in my game. I haven't seen a single spawn of them since the start of the game and after I took the Castle. This is on top of the transmitter still being bugged.

Institute gets synth relay grenades which spawn some synths to help you out.

Railroad gets nothing? Or the ability to put ballistic fibers on your underarmor outfit but you can keep doing that anyways from a workbench if you murder them so :shrug:

titties posted:

Picking up guns in video game gives ammo? Preposterous, how could they make this less intuitive?!

well seeing as you can pick up their ammo separately it doesn't make much sense

but i guess all the enemies died with a full magazine :jerkbag:

Tupperwarez posted:

Yea basically. A previously established idea rehashed and done poorly by Bethesda.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cirosan posted:

Download it here:

Enjoy!

and to think I was cursing your name for overshadowing my weapon crafting mod :P

Seriously fantastic work. Did you do all this by hand?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Cirosan posted:

Download it here:

Enjoy!

HATE BETTER INTERFACE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love some of the silly stuff the designers put in the middle of nowhere :allears:.

I'll... I'll come back later... :cripes:.

I don't think he's a licensed surgeon of the Teddy Bear Hospital :ohdear:

My favourite so far was a box of Sugar Bombs sitting in a toiletbowl, with a spoon resting on the rim.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
For all the problems this games has, I can't believe that people complain about the graphics. Some parts of the game look gorgeous. They may have went too far with the god rays though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ToxicAcne posted:

For all the problems this games has, I can't believe that people complain about the graphics. Some parts of the game look gorgeous. They may have went too far with the god rays though.

Really? Because the game is kinda ugly even on max settings on a PC.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Roughly how far am I through the Main Quest if I'm tasked with killing a Courser to get his teleport thingie?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

well seeing as you can pick up their ammo separately it doesn't make much sense

but i guess all the enemies died with a full magazine :jerkbag:

No. Since it was being discussed I took a look, and I have picked up drum-mag equipped weapons with 3-7 rounds in them. You don't always get 30+ rounds from picking up a gun. There's nothing strange or confusing about the idea that there is a varying amount of ammo both in the gun and on the body.

What doesn't make sense is that as far as I can tell you don't get the extra ammo when you take the gun from the body's container menu, only when you pick the gun up from the ground.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Vargs posted:

This seems pretty great. How's it work with a gamepad?

I just made an alternate version compatible with gamepads and added it to the mod's page. Thanks for the input.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know why everyone in this Vault is acting so worried. They're acting like I have some horrible disease, but those Molerats never laid a claw on me thanks to my semi-auto explosive combat rifle :smuggo:. Incidentally, thank you for the general warning about that. It's kind of a shame the game's clearly not prepared to consider you getting through the secret area of the Vault without getting the disease yourself.

I hope you didn't take a companion with you, because if they got bit, you caught it anyway! Have fun with that!

Needless to say I think that's the only time I've used console commands because that's just bullshit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

in terms of texture and model quality it's not the hottest but the lighting/effects are unbelievably good, especially considering the last several outings of the gamebryo engine
the bonus is that texture/model stuff is a lot more workable than the other stuff so it's a great base to work from for modders to make the game look exceptional

also whoever decided that you can't share a settlement's salvage supply with your home base/diamond city home is a moron
seriously why is it like that, who the gently caress is gonna lug in all the supplies needed there

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

titties posted:

No. Since it was being discussed I took a look, and I have picked up drum-mag equipped weapons with 3-7 rounds in them. You don't always get 30+ rounds from picking up a gun. There's nothing strange or confusing about the idea that there is a varying amount of ammo both in the gun and on the body.

What doesn't make sense is that as far as I can tell you don't get the extra ammo when you take the gun from the body's container menu, only when you pick the gun up from the ground.

haha that second part makes no sense at all. someone make a mod to just dump all the ammo onto the corpse or at least the gun you loot from the body container.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Icedude posted:

I hope you didn't take a companion with you, because if they got bit, you caught it anyway! Have fun with that!

Needless to say I think that's the only time I've used console commands because that's just bullshit.

I checked my Status periodically to make sure. It's a real poo poo design thing though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Uh, Piper now sounds like a generator. Anyone else encounter that bug and is there a fix?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So i am around level 9 and a did a ton of quests for the minutemen and haven't done anything for the main story. should i head to diamond city now? every time i head south i get destroyed by super mutant suicide bombers. Also can i raise my SPECIALS at all?

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
When I get Vertibirds and brotherhood guys in power armor spawning and running around, if I kill them, does something bad happen? I am part of the Brotherhood

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Uh, Piper now sounds like a generator. Anyone else encounter that bug and is there a fix?

Had this problem with Sturges sounding like a drat Vertibird. It corrected itself after a while. Just leave to a far away cell. Save and quit. If that doesn't work, do the same but pass like 3 in-game days or something. At any rate, it will probably correct itself if you leave her alone for a couple of days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i am around level 9 and a did a ton of quests for the minutemen and haven't done anything for the main story. should i head to diamond city now? every time i head south i get destroyed by super mutant suicide bombers. Also can i raise my SPECIALS at all?

Use VATS to shoot them in the bomb-carrying arm :ssh:. Power Armor can also withstand the detonation, incidentally (I actually had one bomb me in the back and all I did was go "...what was that?" while murdering his buddies with a minigun).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use VATS to shoot them in the bomb-carrying arm :ssh:. Power Armor can also withstand the detonation, incidentally (I actually had one bomb me in the back and all I did was go "...what was that?" while murdering his buddies with a minigun).

I have poo poo perception, so its crapshoot if i can make good vats shots.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Kiggles posted:

Had this problem with Sturges sounding like a drat Vertibird. It corrected itself after a while. Just leave to a far away cell. Save and quit. If that doesn't work, do the same but pass like 3 in-game days or something. At any rate, it will probably correct itself if you leave her alone for a couple of days.

I'll try that. Gotta get more relationship points with Cait anyway.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Four Score posted:

shhh we don't talk about actually funny successful goons

Oh cool so by your first criteria we can talk about Ben Croshaw all we want

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Did anyone manage to get the shotgun "Justice"? If so what's the ID for it if you know. I missed it before cleaning the town out and the game must refer to it by a different name internally because it doesn't show up on the help list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More data on how bonkers well 4 is doing, this time in the UK. The line about the Starcraft 2 expansion opening at 23rd place is extremely hilarious to me.

• Locked thread