Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dark Souls 2 has the best gameplay of the Souls games (I haven't played Bloodborne, though) but has some enemy and level design issues that hold it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Dark souls 2 was worse than 1 because it wasn't your first time playing a souls game (demon souls is for loser nerds)

I've played all the Souls games in order + King's Field, and Bloodborne, the most recent one, is my favourite.

WHOAhoahoaoaha I just shattered everything you believe in

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

you just don't quit these days DO YOU

I'm not arguing DS2 is better than Bloodborne. But it's false or at least hyperbolic and strange to say that Bloodborne fixed everything wrong with DS2 while losing nothing in the transition.

Sorry to have nuanced opinions on games :agesilaus:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just started playing Lords of the Fallen and I enjoy it a lot more than Dark Souls (I have not played DS2, I still find Demons a little better).

Also like... 90% of my Steam library. HuniePop is a decent game in bad clothing. I can probably think of others when not at a shite Denny's. I JUST WANTED A SANDWICH, ANGELA, YOU CAN TAKE MY ORDER ANY TIME.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
3 Moves Ahead have started a patreon to fund a monthly paradox only podcast? Sign me the gently caress up

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

House project weekend left me with an exhausted supply of podcasts by Sunday, so I went back and started listening to DS1 BFSC episodes again. It is such a good series that now I just want to play Souls games with my between-project free time even though I only have a grand total of about 15-20 collective hours invested between MGSV and Fallout 4. drat you Gary and Kole (and Miyazaki) :argh:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So I skipped a few pages because I was tired of Undertale argument and I come back to see people saying not to play Pathologic!?

gently caress off, anyone who says that. Pathologic is one of the coolest games ever. Also The Void looks really dumb and stupid, but to be fair I've never played it so maybe I'm wrong.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The Void owns, actually. It's too bad a lack of colorblind mode strikes again for Gary.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

So I skipped a few pages because I was tired of Undertale argument and I come back to see people saying not to play Pathologic!?

gently caress off, anyone who says that. Pathologic is one of the coolest games ever. Also The Void looks really dumb and stupid, but to be fair I've never played it so maybe I'm wrong.

Who's saying not to play Pathologic? I just think The Void would be a more interesting game to discuss. Also you're wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like half the game podcast network is filled with colorblind people.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh man listening to the Dragon Quest Retronauts episode makes me want to go back and try out 4 or 5 again. I played maybe a dozen hours of 9 and had a decent time with the stories in all the different towns, but I totally forgot what the main plot was. Also listening to it after they announced the localizations of 7 and 8 on 3DS is pretty great.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon Quest 8 is insanely charming, I didn't get more than a dozen hours in but I can easily blame that on having hooked up my decade old ps2 in a cold attic :classiclol: Would love to give that game a fair crack in hand-held form.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I haven't heard an IGN podcast in over 7 years or so, if you wondered what you were missing out on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8AEyqb50l0

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Jippa posted:

I haven't heard an IGN podcast in over 7 years or so, if you wondered what you were missing out on:

That dude is really salty about some IGN guy getting a relatively innocuous fact wrong.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jippa posted:

What am I supposed to be looking at/listening to?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Opposing Farce posted:

That dude is really salty about some IGN guy getting a relatively innocuous fact wrong.

It's almost as dumb as actually judging IGN's podcasts one thing one dude said on a podcast. I mean, it was even about video games. It's not like he suddenly went "also, the holocaust never happened".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And why do we need to go to some passing non-fact or whatever that was on about when we've always got "squids aren't actually animals".

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jippa posted:

GAMING JOURNALISM AGAINST FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

And why do we need to go to some passing non-fact or whatever that was on about when we've always got "squids aren't actually animals".

Ha I remember that. :)

No, anyway it just reminded me of a time when I listened to gaming podcasts and people would read out sales figures for consoles and have arguments about which one was best and was winning the "war" etc. I suppose I've just completely moved on from that type of thing it was sort of a flashback.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tae posted:

It's like 10% of all guys, so it sort of makes sense that there are a bunch of them around.

I have pretty bad red / green colorblindness and I made it through The Void without too much trouble. Well, I never completely finished it but I stopped due to screwing up in ways that had nothing to do with the type of color I was using. I actually had more trouble telling Amber from Gold than Emerald from Crimson, because they used distinct enough shades and the world is usually stark enough that it stands out. It was quite playable with my dumb eyes, but it depends on the relative dumbness we're talking about here.

Just having a list of the Sister's color preferences helps a ton, because the little splashes of color it shows when you're talking to them are one of the only times it's not specifically labelled. It can stink if you move hell and high water to get what you think is a splash if violet that turns out to be azure but you're usually concerned with hoovering up whatever drips of color you can manage so the specific type isn't that important.

Basically, play The Void. It has a really distinct atmosphere that leads to an unparalleled sense of tension and existential dread.

E: Man, the new Starcraft release and the announcement of a VR thing called The Void really makes it hard to dig up videos. Maybe try this.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2015

trw
Dec 24, 2003
The Void would be interesting to hear a discussion about because it's mechanics blends in with the narrative in a way that I don't think any other game even gets close to doing. It's the only game I've played where the story and the "playing" didn't feel like two separate things.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

Not able to play this at work, but it looks like a bunch of gamergate people are mad in the comments? What did they say?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some nerd who plays video games doesn't know about all of the various screen recording programs that are available and how "easy to use" they are. I bet the IGN people don't even play video games since they screwed up such an easy to confirm real life fact. It's about ethics in games podcasts.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Phone posted:

Some nerd who plays video games doesn't know about all of the various screen recording programs that are available and how "easy to use" they are. I bet the IGN people don't even play video games since they screwed up such an easy to confirm real life fact. It's about ethics in games podcasts.

Nah, they're mad about the fact that a video pointing out the mistake was taken down due to a copyright claim, which is.... a bit more of a legit beef? Like, the person that put up the original 'lol these game journos don't know their asses from holes in the ground' video was a butthole, but whoever it was at IGN that told youtube to pull down the content was also a bit of an idiot. Now the buttholes get to crow about censorship (their favorite subject) in addition to the above. I think?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't know any of this story, but when the account has a bunch of OPEN YOUR EYES and FOLLOW THE HATE in the video description, they get zero room for interpretation.

Why was the first video created? Probably to expose some hot take on someone in the games journalism industry. I mean the title is "How does IGN Producer Sean Finnegan have a job again?"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just posted the video because I randomly clicked on it and laughed at some one that works at ign not realising that a computer can record videos of games playing on them and it transported to me back too 2007 and shane bettenhausen shouting at people about playstation's and the pc being dead etc.

I didn't realise it was a gamergate youtuber.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Video pointing out some dumb poo poo a gaming journo said gets taken down :confused:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Colorblindness is not something that a whole lot of people put thought into when designing things, so it's very interesting to hear about all the journos who are colorblind and have issues with some games. I'm not colorblind, but in a similarly male-dominated field (Engineering), I regularly encounter people who are, so when making graphs or other visual displays I go out of my way to make them not rely solely on color to make categories visually distinguishable from one another.

One great example: some dude teaching a continuing ed class that I took went on this super condescending rant about how customers (specifically operators in a production plant, also predominantly male) will always find a way to screw things up. His product had two parts that were provided in five gallon pails, and he was bitching about how stupid people are that he had to go to extremes to make sure that they wouldn't mix up the two parts. After enough complaints, he went to the extreme of providing the product in colored pails. It was pretty tough to keep a straight face when he finished the whole thing with "How much more obvious could it be? Part A is in a green pail, and Part B is in a red pail!!"

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

For me, it's honestly a lot more complicated to explain. If you put a red bucket next to a green one, I can tell the difference but it's all about the amount of red in a color, intensity rather than presence. I also have some minor green issues, thus the Undertale stuff. People don't always understand that it can be about amount of contrast rather than presence of contrast at all.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Tae posted:

It's like how being blind turns you into daredevil; being colorblind allows you to see the deeper aspects of the game. :tem:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

NickPancakes posted:

It's like how being blind turns you into daredevil; being colorblind allows you to see the deeper aspects of the game. :tem:

I thought it was radioactive waste that turned you into Daredevil.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Woffle posted:

For me, it's honestly a lot more complicated to explain. If you put a red bucket next to a green one, I can tell the difference but it's all about the amount of red in a color, intensity rather than presence. I also have some minor green issues, thus the Undertale stuff. People don't always understand that it can be about amount of contrast rather than presence of contrast at all.

Jeff (indirectly) hit on the contrast thing a bit in this week's Bombcast talking about Fallout 4 and the speech checks. Default text is light-ish green, and speech checks are indicated by words being yellow (easy), orange (medium), and red (hard). He mentioned having to change the text to blue because he played for a while and realized he was missing easy speech checks.

People having such wildly different issues with colors is probably one of the major reasons that colorblindness isn't usually considered when people communicate visually. Excel is far and away the most popular program to make graphs, and it defaults to color as the sole distinguisher for most types when it could just as easily vary both color and shape. After witnessing multiple incidents of someone needing to ask for clarification on data that was being presented, I now take an extra minute or two in order to clearly make things as distinguishable as possible.

Sorry for the mostly unrelated babble, but clear presentation of information has been drilled into my head to the point that it is distressing for me to see areas where it could so easily be improved. Not everything has to be shapes and patterns in the world to accommodate everyone on the spectrum of colorblindness, but it would be nice to see a checkbox in the options menu to put brackets on the Fallout 4 speech checks, or have Excel use both shapes and colors. Maybe 98% of the population would be able to tell the difference between that dude's red and green buckets, but why not just make it black and white and avoid having to deal with the repercussions when one of the 2% has an issue?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Woffle posted:

I'm in this boat as well. Protanopia confuses the heck out of people because it's not seeing things in grayscale, but, rather that you need more than only colour information to distinguish things if they're blue/purple, green/yellow, or anything else where the red or green colour component is the difference.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Depths posted:

Video pointing out some dumb poo poo a gaming journo said gets taken down :confused:

TIHS GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Jeff (indirectly) hit on the contrast thing a bit in this week's Bombcast talking about Fallout 4 and the speech checks. Default text is light-ish green, and speech checks are indicated by words being yellow (easy), orange (medium), and red (hard). He mentioned having to change the text to blue because he played for a while and realized he was missing easy speech checks.
h checks, or have Excel use both shapes and colors. Maybe 98% of the population would be able to tell the difference between that dude's red and green buckets, but why not just make it black and white and avoid having to deal with the repercussions when one of the 2% has an issue?

Haha wow. I didn't realize there were three tiers of difficulty on those... I can definitely recognize the difference between the default green and the non-green ones, but apparently the yellow and the orange are too similar for me to distinguish.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Maybe 98% of the population would be able to tell the difference between that dude's red and green buckets, but why not just make it black and white and avoid having to deal with the repercussions when one of the 2% has an issue?

That's is one of the weirdest things to me. Take Dota, or more specifically pro Dota matches. There's a major tournament underway right now that has around 200K viewers on Twitch as I write this. Assuming 5% red / green colorblind (which is probably an underestimate) that's ~10K people who have a really hard time telling which team is which in the middle of a busy fight. And Dota has a colorblind option built in that changes life bars to blue / green! Why major events (or streamers in general) don't default to colorblind mode is completely mystifying to me. There's literally no downside!

For what it's worth, the very worst game to play with dumb eyes is Puzzle Fighter. How I wish I could play Puzzle Fighter without sitting a foot away from the TV and squinting a lot.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I bet a bunch of people would complain about them turning on colorblind mode for absolutely no reason, especially since these are already the kind of people who play dota.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't know why Gary started referring to other people and himself as [Insert Adjective Here] boys, but I sincerely hope he never stops.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

For what it's worth, the very worst game to play with dumb eyes is Puzzle Fighter. How I wish I could play Puzzle Fighter without sitting a foot away from the TV and squinting a lot.

Puzzle Quest on the DS was terrible for that, too. The PC version was okay, but man did green and yellow look exactly the same on the portable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's hard enough to figure out what's going on in Dota even if you've played it for 1500 hours. That said, the mini map has teardrops and Xs, so that helps a bit.

• Locked thread