Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MadScientistWorking posted:

Worst part is that its reminding me of the 4E Goodman Games products that I do own and making me realize that their products are horrendous.
Eh, I think it's fair to suck at 4e adventure design when (a) you're trying to make it fit a genre it doesn't work great for, and (b) WotC's own adventures around then sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah the funny thing is a lot of old school people constantly still whine about The Satanic Panic too.

They're whining about my high school band?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

Eh, I think it's fair to suck at 4e adventure design when (a) you're trying to make it fit a genre it doesn't work great for, and (b) WotC's own adventures around then sucked.
It was class design though. In fact I want to say that the material they published for 4e that I own had an infinite loop in it RAW.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Satanic Panic is basically the OSR's version of the Crisis of Treachery.

In other news, Interface Zero: Fate Edition has a week left, and still needs like six grand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Keep in mind that it was only that small and insignificant because the artist couldn't make it work the way he originally wanted, and that we wouldn't ever have known if he hadn't decided to tell us.

Seriously, I don't know how this can be made any clearer. All Goodman had to do was keep his stupid anecdote to himself and no one would have been the wiser. Instead he just had to let everyone know how much he thinks 4E is bad and dumb and sucks and he hates it ugh, and if you think, say, the comments section full of people crowing over 4E's "failure" are obnoxious then ask yourself why Goodman felt the need to give a big pandering essay to that demographic when he had absolutely no need to. This sort of thing is precisely why the OSR has the rep it does.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Any opinions on the Trash Bash Bits? Anybody here back the previous Kickstarter?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, Interface Zero: Fate Edition has a week left, and still needs like six grand.

I want to back it but 40 bones + shipping for a small book that isn't even full color is tough.

Edit: oh it's Fate. Failed to read the last part of the title. No thanks.

alg fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 14, 2015

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, to be fair it was a real problem for a lot of people 20-30 years ago. It's just that freaking out about it now is a bit like freaking out about the Soviets - even if you had a point once, you're a little late.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Benly posted:

even if you had a point once, you're a little late.

There's your OSR in a nutshell.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cthulhu Wars is down to its last 48 hours. If you have the original Cthulhu Wars, the $1 pledge level gives you a bunch of errata stuff for it. Pledging $150 gets you a bunch of (large) glow in the dark minis if you're the type to care about minis.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Cool Mini or Not has a new game. It's got some cute little demon minis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/arcadia-quest-inferno?ref=category_newest

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So this is a troll, right? The image posted has a red midget stripper, and you use the word "cute"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lord Frisk posted:

So this is a troll, right?

Yes.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A troll? It says right in the picture that it's a demoness :downsrim:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think the last half dozen CMoN projects have just blended together for me

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lord Frisk posted:

So this is a troll, right? The image posted has a red midget stripper, and you use the word "cute"

Don't hate

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That's like all I do

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Interesting to see CMoN try and compete with Soda Pop right down to the anime skeeve, tho. Probably not the best bet, because about the only thing Soda Pop are pros at is anime skeeve.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lord Frisk posted:

Huh? It's cute.

What strip clubs do you go to where the strippers have horns and carry tridents?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's an aggressively bad and bland design. Your love of baps has blinded you to the truth, boom.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Huh? It's cute.

What strip clubs do you go to where the strippers have horns and carry tridents?
You go to aggressively boring strip clubs.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's a shame they decided to resort to that kind of crap, Arcadia Quest seems halfway playable for a CMON game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arcadia Quest is a pretty fun game.

EDIT: The campaign system I really like since you still get a sense of accomplishment if you do well in a mission, but the store system is designed so that if you do poorly you aren't hosed. It does a good job of avoiding the snowballing problem a lot of games with campaigns have where the players that win early continue to win because of the advantages they get and by the end you know who is going to be on top and a lot of enthusiasm is sucked out and everyone that isn't the top dog and the one person that might beat him or her loses interest. In the campaigns I've played the winners of the individual missions have better stuff but the losers never feel like they are out of the game which is a big deal for me. It also does a good job of encouraging PVP play without people getting knocked out of the game and just sitting there while everyone else continues.

I don't think it's the tightest ruleset (the heroes are also not well balanced but the drafting system mitigates this somewhat) however in terms of interaction and fun it's high up there in my opinion.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 17, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Blood Rage seems to be the best CMoN game, by all accounts. Arcadia Quest I have heard is second-best, but that's because competition slims down real fast after Blood Rage.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Blood Rage slightly annoys me as I missed out on the KS because it seemed like just another 'ton of minis, little gameplay' game by CMON but I keep hearing it's actually good (similar with Dogs of War).

Is it worth tracking down a regular copy?

How much doe the KS Exclusives add?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My friend got it and it seems like it just adds another faction and some monsters so nothing that crazy. I need to see if he's had a chance to play it and get a verdict.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zark the Damned posted:

Blood Rage slightly annoys me as I missed out on the KS because it seemed like just another 'ton of minis, little gameplay' game by CMON but I keep hearing it's actually good (similar with Dogs of War).

Is it worth tracking down a regular copy?

How much doe the KS Exclusives add?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/blood-rage

4 exclusive figures that add to gameplay and a bunch of cosmetic stuff, like alt sculpts and upgraded components. I'm in the same boat as you, in that I assumed that the game was gonna be trash since it's CMON, but it's also CMON so I'm pretty okay with not supporting their business model.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The Mystics are good and are an expansion module but aren't kickstarter-exclusive.

The KS-exclusive minis are cool I guess, only particularly interesting one is Fenrir.

5th player expansion is as expected, but also isn't KS-exclusive.

Gameplay is solid - it's the only CMoN game I own but I've generally not been impressed by them, but it's based off Midgard which Eric Lang published under Z-Man except it's heavily refined and plays very smoothly. I posted some impressions here a while back.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/blood-rage

4 exclusive figures that add to gameplay and a bunch of cosmetic stuff, like alt sculpts and upgraded components. I'm in the same boat as you, in that I assumed that the game was gonna be trash since it's CMON, but it's also CMON so I'm pretty okay with not supporting their business model.

A friend of mine backed Blood Rage and still hasn't got it. It was his first Kickstarter and he wasn't aware that he had to answer a poll to provide his shipping address, so he missed their window. Their response was basically "well LOL we'll ship it when we ship it." Kinda lame, honestly.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Didn't they send like five emails about the survey? I feel bad for your friend and all but when somebody doesn't give an address it's not as simple as just sending an intern to the warehouse and popping it in the mail...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A friend of mine backed Blood Rage and still hasn't got it. It was his first Kickstarter and he wasn't aware that he had to answer a poll to provide his shipping address, so he missed their window. Their response was basically "well LOL we'll ship it when we ship it." Kinda lame, honestly.

I don't know about Blood Rage, but on the Arcadia Quest Kickstarter they explicitly say that if you don't fill out your survey in time, they'll ship your stuff last.

That seems pretty fair to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Andarel posted:

Didn't they send like five emails about the survey? I feel bad for your friend and all but when somebody doesn't give an address it's not as simple as just sending an intern to the warehouse and popping it in the mail...

Oh, I agree. There are logistics involved. I guess that their subject lines weren't particularly urgent, they were just "Project Update" stuff that he was ignoring.

The Conan KS that I backed had like seven emails screaming for shipping addresses and warning of multiple delays and at the end they revealed that some crazy-high percentage of people still hadn't entered their address. Well it was no surprise - all their pleas had subject lines as "Project Update #12X" from KS which, after the 20th update, a lot of people start tuning out. If survey stuff is that important it should probably be sent outside the context of KS and you should have a bunch of tickler emails. Start sending it every day of the last week counting down to the cutoff.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh, I agree. There are logistics involved. I guess that their subject lines weren't particularly urgent, they were just "Project Update" stuff that he was ignoring.

The Conan KS that I backed had like seven emails screaming for shipping addresses and warning of multiple delays and at the end they revealed that some crazy-high percentage of people still hadn't entered their address. Well it was no surprise - all their pleas had subject lines as "Project Update #12X" from KS which, after the 20th update, a lot of people start tuning out. If survey stuff is that important it should probably be sent outside the context of KS and you should have a bunch of tickler emails. Start sending it every day of the last week counting down to the cutoff.

If they use the Kickstarter survey function it shows up with the subject line 'Reponse needed! Fill out your survey for Kickstarter X' or something to that effect. Conan is using their own pledge manager though so the 'confirm your details' emails would go out as just 'update #20' or whatever, and yeah, those start getting tuned out eventually. I had one Kickstarter send out the survey more or less as a reminder to people to log into their pledge manager, since the survey mail gets more attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Andarel posted:

Gameplay is solid - it's the only CMoN game I own but I've generally not been impressed by them, but it's based off Midgard which Eric Lang published under Z-Man except it's heavily refined and plays very smoothly. I posted some impressions here a while back.

I'm not impressed with CMON's minis games, but I like several of their games with minis in. Dogs of War is tight and brutal, Guilds of Cadwallon is a good filler and World of Smog is a clever little action economy race game.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
New stretch goal for Arcadia, you get to play that one demon girl as a hero.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Here's another metal dice kickstarter. You can get them in tungsten!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Here's another metal dice kickstarter. You can get them in tungsten!

I was going to make a snide remark about needing tungsten to live, but those are some drat nice dice. The meteorite ones are stunning. Not 300 dollars for a d20 stunning, but drat nice.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Is it weird that I think that $2,000 for the meteorite dice is a little cheap or am I way overestimating how rare that material is?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

zachol posted:

Is it weird that I think that $2,000 for the meteorite dice is a little cheap or am I way overestimating how rare that material is?

They run about 2-20 dollars a gram depending on the quality of the pattern and percentage of the content that is metal. My ex girlfriends Dad used to collect meteors and there is whole weirdo community of space rock collectors. People really like knives made from it as well, but they tend to be entirely decorative since you obviously have to cold forge them in order to keep the patterns which is what people usually like about meteoric ore.

Edit: and for reference it would probably take in the area of 20-40 grams to make a reasonable sized die, I think. I'm not 100% sure, the die would probably weigh less than that when it's been through the CNC/Laser/Whatever they're using process but you're cutting geometric shapes out of irregular blobs so you'd need to get something a bit bigger than your final product. Obviously if he didn't care about the patters and pits and stuff (which is TBH what makes it cool) they would be cheaper because it's just iron (often with less than ideal mineral makeup but still) and he could melt it down to forge but that would require a spin mold and expensive molding plates so this might be a case where using a CNC or a laser guided saw is actually more cost efficient.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Echophonic posted:

I was going to make a snide remark about needing tungsten to live, but those are some drat nice dice. The meteorite ones are stunning. Not 300 dollars for a d20 stunning, but drat nice.

They look nice, but they're absolutely unusable. One of the display models has a huge chip out on one corner. I'm also not sure of the sanity level of magnesium dice - a misplaced spark and your table's got a hole burned in it.

Cthulhu Wars Onslaught Two finished at just over the $1m mark and with more backers than the original project. Sandy Petersen is currently the World's Happiest Mormon.

• Locked thread