Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vahalla posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my Vulture into something larger. FDLs and Pythons are similarly priced, and I mostly intend to do bounties. Is there a glaringly right choice? Seems like the FDL is the shootier option to the Python's more multi-faceted capabilities.

The FAS is cheaper and a lot more agile than the FDL / Python, it fells down in shields and firepower but it's the closest to a straight upgrade from the Vulture than anything else is.

With the coming buffs the FDL is going to be objectively better though, other than the terrible jump range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Doctor Soup posted:

The largest thing I've flown is a vulture, I guess I was assuming that your shields would never go down on larger ships in PvE because they only go down on my vulture when I'm low on shields anyway and I do something dumb because I'm bored.

What size RES were you doing? When you start getting wings with multiple Condas shields stop being a thing you have towards the end

Especially as an iRammer, since a full boost hit vs a large ship will take off a full level of shields (but take off 20%+ of a Conda hull and I swear if you hit a module it has a good chance of taking that out completely)

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Vahalla posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my Vulture into something larger. FDLs and Pythons are similarly priced, and I mostly intend to do bounties. Is there a glaringly right choice? Seems like the FDL is the shootier option to the Python's more multi-faceted capabilities.

Right now the Python is pretty clearly the best at PVE, especially endurance-oriented activites like grinding out bounties or combat zones.

- The outpost docking is pretty significant
- Its hardpoints are second only to the conda and the distributor is big enough to use them well
- It's still reasonably quick and maneuverable
- Shielding is second only to the conda
- With the best power plant it can run dual SCBs with hardpoints deployed
- It easily converts to being one of the best ships at certain trade/mining roles too

The hardest part is adapting to the lower maneuverability when you're used to the zero-effort flight model of the vulture.

The picture might get shaken up some with the balance changes in beta, but that's all speculative and subject to change right now.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Vahalla posted:

A fighting weight FDL is incredibly cheap compared to a python, and a little cheaper than a clipper. FDL is also poised to become a total beast with the next patch, but it and the clipper are more pvp ships

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

What size RES were you doing? When you start getting wings with multiple Condas shields stop being a thing you have towards the end

Especially as an iRammer, since a full boost hit vs a large ship will take off a full level of shields (but take off 20%+ of a Conda hull and I swear if you hit a module it has a good chance of taking that out completely)

I've been doing hazres. I've rarely seen an anaconda in a wing with a ship bigger than a vulture, and I only attack anacondas in wings if I can vaporize the other ships quick or if the wing is engaged with other pirates. I've also never had a wing I couldn't take open fire on me instead of scanning and leaving. Maybe I'm getting easier spawns because my combat rank is lower?

Between chaff and bad AI, my shields don't get hit that much in the first place, which is why I sometimes do something dumb like engage an anaconda with barely any shields left. Most of the time I can get away with it because the anaconda will just spin in place and/or decide it has to point it's nose at me before it's allowed to open fire and since I just hug its butt the whole time that doesn't happen.

So far my shields have been great for when I mess up. I take damage rarely enough that their base recharge rate is self sustaining and it's only when I get bored or feel like doing something silly that I have to start using chaff and shield cells. My assumption was that larger more expensive ships would be the same way, only sturdier and faster killers. That's the reason I assumed shields were better for PvE. You can shoot things in hazres until you need to refuel (if you're also using only lasers).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Did a few tests for DBB involving heatsinks and shields on an Anaconda equipped with one heatsink launcher, one 7b SCB, one 4B SCB and switching between a 6A, 6C and 6C Bi-Weave shield generator.

Heatsinks and Shield Cells Banks:
- activating both shield cells with no heatsink: temperature peaked at 220%
- activating both shield cells and afterward the heatsink: temperature peaked at aprox 120%
- activating the heatsink and then both shield cells: temperature peaked at 107%
- activating the heatsink and both shield cells while firing C3 Pulse Lasers and the C4 PAC: temperature peaked at aprox 120%

Shield recharge
- 6A Shield: 1 minute 35 seconds to come back online at 50% strenght from 0%
- 6C Shield: 1:24
- 6C Bi-Weave: 58 seconds

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

Right now the Python is pretty clearly the best at PVE, especially endurance-oriented activites like grinding out bounties or combat zones.

- The outpost docking is pretty significant
- Its hardpoints are second only to the conda and the distributor is big enough to use them well
- It's still reasonably quick and maneuverable
- Shielding is second only to the conda
- With the best power plant it can run dual SCBs with hardpoints deployed
- It easily converts to being one of the best ships at certain trade/mining roles too

The hardest part is adapting to the lower maneuverability when you're used to the zero-effort flight model of the vulture.

The picture might get shaken up some with the balance changes in beta, but that's all speculative and subject to change right now.

Don't fit 3 beam lasers though. Just don't.

They run very hot.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I don't know why burst lasers aren't more popular. Similar fitting requirements, but as far as I know they do just a smidge less DPS in exchange for much better heat and WEP efficiency and maybe also better penetration?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

I don't know why burst lasers aren't more popular. Similar fitting requirements, but as far as I know they do just a smidge less DPS in exchange for much better heat and WEP efficiency and maybe also better penetration?

They're good, yeah. The problem is, they're still worse then beams and drain the capacitor astonishingly fast, since you're effectively firing three times every time you pull the trigger.

Also to get better firepower than the pulse laser you need to hit with all three separate shots. If you miss one or two of them, tough luck. Especially small targets can be annoying to fight with burst lasers.

There are some edge cases where you're better off with them, of course. The Python is a good example: If you have a good capacitor, having burst lasers instead of hot-running beams can be an advantage.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sard posted:

They're anti-shield gimmick lasers that do poo poo damage against bare metal. They're fine if you can follow up with some cannon-style physical weapons, but most people prefer beam or pulse for better overall penetration to begin with unless you're doing a PVP gimmick build.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

They're worse damage against hull than the other two. Each of the lasers has a niche though:
  • Pulse Lasers: excellent sustained damage to both shields and hull, poor burst DPS, least power use, low heat generation. Best used on ships like the Vulture that are extremely agile and have no problems staying on target
  • Burst Lasers: balance between burst DPS and sustained DPS, medium heat, high power use, excellent damage to shields but lowest hull damage of the three types. Great for ships that are fairly agile but can't quite stay on target all the time. Pairs exceptionally well with kinetic weapons like cannons
  • Beam Lasers: enormous damage to everything balanced by high power use, high heat generation and rapid capacitor drain. Very effective for ships that fight by jousting. Some ships with huge PDS like the Python can afford to run a single large beam indefinitely effectively allowing them to be used as a high DPS sustained fire weapon

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Huh, good to know. I guess I haven't noticed the hull difference because I usually do run burst lasers alongside kinetics, like my FGS has two medium and two small burst lasers, with a single large and two medium cannons on the ventral mounts. Chews up small ships, and punches through the shields to core out larger ones. Is there a better reference for this information than this topic on the official forums, then? It only lists shield damage and is probably outdated anyway.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sard posted:

Huh, good to know. I guess I haven't noticed the hull difference because I usually do run burst lasers alongside kinetics, like my FGS has two medium and two small burst lasers, with a single large and two medium cannons on the ventral mounts. Chews up small ships, and punches through the shields to core out larger ones. Is there a better reference for this information than this topic on the official forums, then? It only lists shield damage and is probably outdated anyway.
At the moment the current thinking for PvP is that shields are the only thing that matter (especially when it's more than 1v1) so that's probably why they only tested those. With 1.5 there are going to be nerfs to Shield Cell Banks, new shields that trade capacity for recharge time and massive buffs to hull reinforcements so this is likely to shift a lot and you'll probably see more concrete numbers about hull damage as people do more testing.

In terms of how we know, it's basically a combination of looking at the in game descriptions/statistics of the various weapons and personally trying out various guns and seeing how they work. Burst lasers are actually reasonable in PvP due to the aforementioned prevalence of shields (since they're really good against shields) but NPC ships tend to have significantly less shields compared to hull than players do so they're less effective there because you spend comparatively more time shooting their hull than shields.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

(I don't know poo poo about the FDL because I think it's ugly as gently caress)

If you sought to anger me, you have succeeded

I mean look at this stylish motherfucker:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^i wish you could add cop lights, i would just listen to Starski and Hutch soundtrack while playing
Those 8a modules are more expansive than an anaconda hull. :smith:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Heh. Thanks for the answers. Im looking for a ship that doesn't require a rank grind, as I'm about to start power play and don't really want to do both at once until I have a credit cushion. Just want a solid, shooty ship to carry my rear end through Powerplay/imperial rank grinds until I've got the credits for a Conda or a Cutter. I like my vulture but I'd prefer to upgrade to something that plays/flies more like the large ships as practice.

E: that said, probably a python then?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Toplowtech posted:

Those 8a modules are more expansive than an anaconda hull. :smith:

Wait until you start dealing with bulkheads, mirrored composites cost more than twice the bare hull :shepicide:

Vahalla posted:

Heh. Thanks for the answers. Im looking for a ship that doesn't require a rank grind, as I'm about to start power play and don't really want to do both at once until I have a credit cushion. Just want a solid, shooty ship to carry my rear end through Powerplay/imperial rank grinds until I've got the credits for a Conda or a Cutter. I like my vulture but I'd prefer to upgrade to something that plays/flies more like the large ships as practice.

The Python is, as others have said, an extremely versatile ship that's flexible enough to do a little bit of everything without much compromise. The one thing it absolutely excels at is, weirdly enough, cargo hauling since properly fitted it can carry as much as a Type-7 but with the ability to land on outposts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you can swing it the python is amazing at <<REDACTED>> runs since with a pair of C3 pulses and missile launchers you can earn some bounties on the ships that interdict you.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Vahalla posted:

The Python is a very good shooty ship that you can't go wrong with. The only other no-rank-grind, non-anaconda-sized, shooty big ship is the FDL, which is a lot less versatile than the Python.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of missile launchers. I'm still annoyed as gently caress at magazine capacity and the lack of size 3 launchers.

Especially considering the physical models of the size 2 launchers with their 17 tubes.

SciFi, the FDL looks like poo poo. I'm sorry. I love you but it looks like a stuffed turkey with a zit on top.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Rah! posted:

The Python is a very good shooty ship that you can't go wrong with. The only other no-rank-grind, non-anaconda-sized, shooty big ship is the FDL, which is a lot less versatile than the Python.
The Python is honestly the best well-rounded ship in the game since it's got a huge powerplant/PDS, amazing hardpoints, a ton of internal slots and can land on a medium pad. It's the single best mission running ship if you'll ever need to dock at outposts. Because of how well-rounded it is, it will always be a worthwhile ship and IMO everyone should aim to eventually own one in addition to their other ships.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The outpost landing alone means the python will probably always have a niche for any future [redacted] which require it, even after future ship releases and balance changes. It's just way too good in too many ways for a medium pad ship

That said, a good A-fit costs 150-200 million, so keeping one around just 'cause will sting a bit once you're trying to scrape cash together for a reasonable cutter or corvette.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
So as might have been evident before now, I am an unapologetic member of the Church of Pulse Laser Supremacy. On several different ships I tested all sorts of mixed variety builds and tried to assess which weapons were better for what things.

The pulse lasers ended up being better for nearly everything and some people have backed that up with math or science or whatever, but the sum argument is that you are better off just packing nothing but pulse lasers so that you can output more total DPS for a ridiculously long time without having to worry about overheating or how much energy you have to spare from your already maxed out powerplant.

In every single fight i got in with anyone, ever, I just pointed my pleb lasers at the offender and chewed out their shields with constant and sustained fire, won the sustained damage fight by leaps and bounds, and had them all lose shields and high wake or unplug.

well except for one special snowflake who tried to low wake and got caught in my clipper's fat mass field and died so i guess there's that.

I recommend it especially for RES farming! Watch how much more efficiently you murder big fat bounty ships! Look at all the energy space you have left over for shield boosters and poo poo! Go nutttttssssssssss

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kavros posted:

So as might have been evident before now, I am an unapologetic member of the Church of Pulse Laser Supremacy. On several different ships I tested all sorts of mixed variety builds and tried to assess which weapons were better for what things.

The pulse lasers ended up being better for nearly everything and some people have backed that up with math or science or whatever, but the sum argument is that you are better off just packing nothing but pulse lasers so that you can output more total DPS for a ridiculously long time without having to worry about overheating or how much energy you have to spare from your already maxed out powerplant.

In every single fight i got in with anyone, ever, I just pointed my pleb lasers at the offender and chewed out their shields with constant and sustained fire, won the sustained damage fight by leaps and bounds, and had them all lose shields and high wake or unplug.

well except for one special snowflake who tried to low wake and got caught in my clipper's fat mass field and died so i guess there's that.

I recommend it especially for RES farming! Watch how much more efficiently you murder big fat bounty ships! Look at all the energy space you have left over for shield boosters and poo poo! Go nutttttssssssssss

I'd like to offer a counterpoint: :homebrew: :supaburn: beams :supaburn: :homebrew:

it is kind of depressing how one-trick-pony the weapons setup is though.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

The outpost landing alone means the python will probably always have a niche for any future [redacted] which require it, even after future ship releases and balance changes. It's just way too good in too many ways for a medium pad ship

That said, a good A-fit costs 150-200 million, so keeping one around just 'cause will sting a bit once you're trying to scrape cash together for a reasonable cutter or corvette.

tbh if you're already willing to grind the 600 million for a reasonably fit cutter the 200 million you have tied up in a python won't even warrant a footnote in the paperwork your family/loved ones/landlord will file to have you involuntarily committed

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kavros posted:

:black101: PULSE LASERS :black101:
I think it's because pulse lasers are probably a little too good at doing hull damage combined with their absurdly good capacitor use:damage ratio.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mercurius posted:

I think it's because pulse lasers are probably a little too good at doing hull damage combined with their absurdly good capacitor use:damage ratio.

I think it's only going to get more pronounced with SCBs making GBS threads out so much heat, Beams are going to be unheard of pretty soon.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Unsure this has been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAyaGyhiQ0

This made my day.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think it's only going to get more pronounced with SCBs making GBS threads out so much heat, Beams are going to be unheard of pretty soon.
Given that hull reinforcements are also going to be more prevalent I'm expecting more use of kinetics, particularly multi-cannons. On a related note, Frontier, please, add C3/4 multi-cannons and C4 pulse/burst/beam lasers as well while you're at it. Please. I need this. They even already have the models (at least for the C4) in the form of the dual autocannons that are used on the stations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mercurius posted:

Given that hull reinforcements are also going to be more prevalent I'm expecting more use of kinetics, particularly multi-cannons. On a related note, Frontier, please, add C3/4 multi-cannons and C4 pulse/burst/beam lasers as well while you're at it. Please. I need this. They even already have the models (at least for the C4) in the form of the dual autocannons that are used on the stations.

Probably depends on if the "stack 2A/B SCBs in every slot" makes it into the meta or not. If the buff to their regen is still better than hull reinforcements...

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Probably depends on if the "stack 2A/B SCBs in every slot" makes it into the meta or not. If the buff to their regen is still better than hull reinforcements...

I stacked a bunch of 4A's in a Corvette and they worked without having fire off heatsinks.

However, FDev is addressing this making sure its not the next meta. If smaller SCB (lighter) and less heat, provide additive amounts of shield replenishment equal or greater to their bigger counterparts, its not balanced.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200980&p=3112931#post3112931

quote:

Hello Commanders!

Once the next update goes live, shield cells will only have increased effectiveness at class seven. As the class drops, so does the effectiveness, both in terms of energy replenishment per second and time off effect.

Cell banks, whilst still providing a powerful benefit to the class of ship they are appropriate for, should have a much harder timer servicing the shields of larger ships. So whilst stacking is still an option, the benefits and costs should be more appropriately matched.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

no_recall posted:

I stacked a bunch of 4A's in a Corvette and they worked without having fire off heatsinks.

However, FDev is addressing this making sure its not the next meta. If smaller SCB (lighter) and less heat, provide additive amounts of shield replenishment equal or greater to their bigger counterparts, its not balanced.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200980&p=3112931#post3112931

Small favors, although I still don't know why they don't just make them unique and increase the ammo size instead of continually trying to turn it into a trap option.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Small favors, although I still don't know why they don't just make them unique and increase the ammo size instead of continually trying to turn it into a trap option.
The cynical part of me wonders if the only reason they haven't done so is because they can't work out how to remove the extra modules that players might already have on their ships for when the patch goes live.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I like how they've spent like a couple of months dreaming up an SCB nerf then immediately walk it back.

When the whole loving thing could have been fixed in 5 minutes "Module Limit: 1". One day developers will stop trying to be clever and just fix something instead of tip toeing around.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200980&page=39&p=3112503&viewfull=1#post3112503

quote:

Hello Commander Alexander the Grape!

Notwithstanding that laser arrays are better at taking down shields (they have the highest thermal damage component): we have one more set of changes that we will likely be pushing through in this beta for shield cells. A sliding scale decrease in active replenishment time based on size (so the smallest shield cells would be active for the shortest amount of time) along with a decreasing regeneration rate.

Whilst this will obviously reduce the effectiveness of smaller cells, the effect should not be completely catastrophic as shield values are much lower for smaller ships.

However, what it should also do is penalise Commanders stacking up on smaller cell banks in larger ships, such as your video shows.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I still kinda wish they just hadn't introduced Health Potions at all. Nobody asked for them, then they came out of the blue in a patch and have been loving up the game ever since.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

People were asking for shields to regenerate faster so that you could stay in CZs and RES for longer, SCBs were the solution they introduced. It wasn't great.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

RabidWeasel posted:

People were asking for shields to regenerate faster so that you could stay in CZs and RES for longer, SCBs were the solution they introduced. It wasn't great.
Given they've made it so that collapsed shields recharge in 1/3 of the time they used to and there's shields that regen 50% faster anyway they're almost in the position where they could just remove them from the game again.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

I'd like to offer a counterpoint: :homebrew: :supaburn: beams :supaburn: :homebrew:

it is kind of depressing how one-trick-pony the weapons setup is though.

Yeah especially considering how i love the feel of beams and would use them in a heartbeat if they weren't so depressingly against-the-grain for how the entire game's capacitor power supply structure is set up. Pulses are the best weapon but they are one of the game's very very few sound design annoyances.

I would have preferred it if the game was setup with different types of weapon hardpoints.

Imagine if some hardpoints can only fit certain weapons or classes of weapons, some hardpoints can only fit turrets or fixed weapons, etc, but each came with their own inherent capacitor supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kavros posted:

Imagine if some hardpoints can only fit certain weapons or classes of weapons, some hardpoints can only fit turrets or fixed weapons, etc, but each came with their own inherent capacitor supply.

I was thinking a while back that this would be the best possible way of making weapon loadouts and ship selection more interesting. Then we would be able to have a wide range of weapon strengths balanced by the fact that you can't just fill your ship up with a ton of the same weapon. Combat-focused ships would have more flexible hardpoints or generally allow more powerful weapons such as beams and PACs. Then the relative strength of each weapon no longer needs to be balanced against every other weapon and suddenly missiles can be powerful again etc.

• Locked thread