Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My undergrad charged for 3 months in a shared apartment (4 rms, 1 student each with common area) what a six month or year lease on a good apartment costs for one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Liquid Communism posted:

Back when dorms were the cheap option compared to lovely apartments in campustown ghettos, it was a good idea. Then schools raised their room and board high enough that it's cheaper to live off campus.

And then schools compound the issue by requiring all first and second year students to live in the dorm, even if they already live within commuting distance of the campus. A lot of people I went to school with refused to go to Kent State (nearest big school to where I grew up) because of this policy, figuring if they were going to have to mortgage their future on lovely student housing might as well be a necessity instead of just lining the university's pockets.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nodoze posted:

I think I'm gonna try and scoop a 970 and a watercooler on black friday/cyber monday

I've been getting the Blue Screen of Death on startup occasionally. I am taking this as a sign that it's probably time to finally upgrade my 1st generation i5 system that has worked so well for so long. Hoping to get some smoking deals on various parts around the black friday/monday thing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

literally a fish posted:

Not only does the WRT54G have crappy wifi performance from factory but it also has a tendency to brutally murder its wireless chip over time; the transmit power of the thing just gradually peters out the longer you use it for, making the wifi slower and slower and slower until you just straight up can't connect. DD-WRT can help to some extent as you can go in and manually wind up the TX power, but that just generates more heat and makes it die faster, so you can't win...

Well, this explains why my WRT54G has been making GBS threads itself lately. No time like the present to replace it, I suppose. Any other options besides the Archer C9 or is that the best under $150 option?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kind of blows my mind the WRT54G is still kicking in places. I mean, I cut my teeth on firmware modification (not just downloading packages, but compiling and pushing via a custom DB9 serial port soldered onto the headers) on them, and I can go into a Goodwill/Salvation Army today and build towers from the stacks of them on the shelves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was a stupid loving day. I found out my goddamned taxes were never filed. What's the best way for me to do this myself online?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Kind of blows my mind the WRT54G is still kicking in places. I mean, I cut my teeth on firmware modification (not just downloading packages, but compiling and pushing via a custom DB9 serial port soldered onto the headers) on them, and I can go into a Goodwill/Salvation Army today and build towers from the stacks of them on the shelves.

Ive had the thing for probably 5 years. Its never given me a problem until the last few weeks when it started losing signal downstairs and occasionally crapping out. Its hard to justify replacing something that works.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can understand that, but my Chromecast was having issues streaming even with the early Draft-N routers, and transferring files or streaming from the local box has been a gigantic pain until I moved to full N and A. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to drop back to G.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BoostCreep posted:

I'm trying to get tickets to the San Diego show. It's gonna be hard with so few shows scheduled so I'll be happy with nosebleed tickets.

See you there, hopefully. I'm hearing prices starting at 80+, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I can understand that, but my Chromecast was having issues streaming even with the early Draft-N routers, and transferring files or streaming from the local box has been a gigantic pain until I moved to full N and A. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to drop back to G.

Change bad! Same good! :saddowns:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

This was a stupid loving day. I found out my goddamned taxes were never filed. What's the best way for me to do this myself online?

How do you just now realize you didn't file your taxes?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Geoj posted:

And then schools compound the issue by requiring all first and second year students to live in the dorm, even if they already live within commuting distance of the campus. A lot of people I went to school with refused to go to Kent State (nearest big school to where I grew up) because of this policy, figuring if they were going to have to mortgage their future on lovely student housing might as well be a necessity instead of just lining the university's pockets.

At Northwestern, first year students were required to live on campus, 2nd year didn't have to, but you had to be at least a junior to be considered for a parking permit (which were super scarce).

Commuters were not subjected to these rules

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

How do you just now realize you didn't file your taxes?

I had a local tax service prepare them (or so I thought). This year I agreed to an unpaid tax settlement with the IRS and was told my return would go straight to them. Today I got a packet (dated from loving April) telling me that payment was never received. Made a call and they had no record of my tax filing. So now I have to sort that poo poo out AND pay a penalty. The penalty is frustrating because I've been sending them $100 a month but I guess I needed to make a minimum payment to meet the terms of the settlement first.

Taxes are stupid.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I go to a uni that is mostly commuters and it loving sucks because there's never anything fun to do and it's nearly impossible to make friends outside of class

And being a CS student, most of the people in my classes are not someone I want to hang out with except for like networking and hooking each other up with potential jobs

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Great Beer posted:

Well, this explains why my WRT54G has been making GBS threads itself lately. No time like the present to replace it, I suppose. Any other options besides the Archer C9 or is that the best under $150 option?

There are other options, but like all nerds I recommend what I've personally had good experiences with. You can't go wrong with a C9.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I am so loving tired of driving. 25k of boring freeway driving in the past year, which isn't objectively bad but is too much for me. Recently moving to a new house thats 15-30 min from anything doesn't help. I have a lot of life left on my cars, but I hope I can swing something more quiet and comfortable for whatever's next.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I bought a fritzbox as my last router- seems to handle the fibre connection fairly well.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
welp, mum's mini (2005 supercharged drop-top), which you may remember from a couple weeks ago's episode of "OH GOD HOW LONG HAS THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE BEEN PEGGED?!" has developed a lifter tap

good thing the new fiat 124 spider is coming out soonish

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Saw an Alfa Romeo 4C on my way to work this morning. It looked pretty awesome, like a baby Ferrari.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

literally a fish posted:

welp, mum's mini (2005 supercharged drop-top), which you may remember from a couple weeks ago's episode of "OH GOD HOW LONG HAS THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE BEEN PEGGED?!" has developed a lifter tap

good thing the new fiat 124 spider is coming out soonish

I love that the press car is an auto.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

I love that the press car is an auto.

Why would you want anyone to have any fun in a car? Down with manual transmissions!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Obvious advice to say - riding in 41C heat AND a 50-60kph headwind is a bad idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Great Beer posted:

Archer C7, Archer C5 are also good.

I paid around $100 for my C5 several months ago, looks like it's down to $85 shipped on Amazon. Unless you're transferring massive files over wireless, the C5 will handle about anything you throw at it (internally it's very similar to the C7, just slower wireless speeds).

I'm running a 200/20 connection through it, I'm able to peg the connection @ 235mbit down via Speedtest even over wireless. There's 7 PCs on it (mix of desktop and laptop), 3 Android phones, 1 Android tablet, Nest thermostat, Chromecast, Roku, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

bolind posted:

Saw an Alfa Romeo 4C on my way to work this morning. It looked pretty awesome, like a baby Ferrari.

Its a good car

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What's the Fuji like in crosswinds? I want to switch frames to full Tri next year (Pull out all the Di2 off my Venge, put it on a Tri specific frame) and looking for something good. Anything But Cervelo

To be honest, if I had the ability to do it all over again, I'd have bought a Cervelo. The fuji is alright in crosswinds, I guess the problem with those huge 808 knockoffs is that a crosswind can start to feel like a headwind. On flat ground, they roll great. The frame, however, makes a lot of tradeoffs that I don't really care for. It's so flexy that it just accelerates like poo poo and feels like I'm losing a lot of power to the frame. it's fairly stiff and yet it rides like a cadillac. I am happy about the bottom bracket being threaded english and not this press fit bullshit. I've lost a frame to BB30 already. The seatpost is neat as poo poo, you can do fore-aft adjustments to set your own seatpost angle.

The braking system really is appalingly bad. It's got straight-pull canti brakes and I've almost crashed a couple times because I couldn't stop as effectively as I could with my rival brakes on my other bike. I was lucky enough the first time that I only slid past the dismount line at my first triathlon :v: I think the Fuji Norcom has addressed a lot of these issues, but I think it's still a heavy fat pig like this bike. So yeah, I'd go for a Cervelo or a giant. I hear giant is really kicking rear end at tri bikes these days.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BloodBag posted:

It's got straight-pull canti brakes
Seriously? :monocle: Can you at least convert to mini v-brakes?

quote:

and I've almost crashed a couple times because I couldn't stop as effectively as I could with my rival brakes on my other bike. I was lucky enough the first time that I only slid past the dismount line at my first triathlon :v: I think the Fuji Norcom has addressed a lot of these issues, but I think it's still a heavy fat pig like this bike. So yeah, I'd go for a Cervelo or a giant. I hear giant is really kicking rear end at tri bikes these days.

I've never really understood the tri-bike thing after bikes modernized in the mid-'90s. I understand them for literal triathlons, but not for an everyday ride.

Either way, Cannondale 4lief.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

meatpimp posted:

Seriously? :monocle: Can you at least convert to mini v-brakes?

I've never really understood the tri-bike thing after bikes modernized in the mid-'90s. I understand them for literal triathlons, but not for an everyday ride.

Either way, Cannondale 4lief.

Look up TRP 925R, that's the brakes it's got. Awful.

The tri bike thing is to basically rotate the riding position foreward by making a super steep seatpost angle. Modern road bikes are much more relaxed with a shallower seatpost angle. You engage different muscle groups on either bike. I find I'm pretty okay on a road bike and desperately weak on the tri bike. For everyday riding, you're basically training for a tri, there's no good reason to ride one of these otherwise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Found out a... second cousin? My cousin's son, anyway - was in a bad wreck. I've never met him (and haven't seen his mom/my cousin in probably 15-20 years), but I'm still pissed off after hearing how it happened.

Someone pulled out in front of him on a highway without looking. He tried to swerve around them, lost control, and hit a pole head-on. Other car took off. From what I was told, there was brief contact between both vehicles, so the driver of the other car is facing at least one felony (probably two since there was bodily injury, and the helicopter ride alone was likely tens of thousands - maybe more since it was across a couple of counties).

Meanwhile, cousin's son had to be airlifted to a trauma center. He's doing okay, but he's not going to play any sports again - he's got a bit of titanium in him now, and will probably need some physical rehab to learn how to walk with metal inside his legs.

Thankfully there were witnesses, one of which was a firefighter, so hopefully the rear end in a top hat who caused the wreck gets to meet the legal system.

gently caress assholes who don't pay attention, and goatse people who cause an accident and take off.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 18, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BloodBag posted:

Look up TRP 925R, that's the brakes it's got. Awful.

The tri bike thing is to basically rotate the riding position foreward by making a super steep seatpost angle. Modern road bikes are much more relaxed with a shallower seatpost angle. You engage different muscle groups on either bike. I find I'm pretty okay on a road bike and desperately weak on the tri bike. For everyday riding, you're basically training for a tri, there's no good reason to ride one of these otherwise.

From the URL:

quote:

Minimize frontal area. Reduce turbulence. Eliminate drag. These phrases all target a single objective: Aerodynamic Efficiency.

It's a TT brake, it's not interested in actual braking performance, just offering a vague idea of slowing down. $110 too. Haha.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Join the rest of us AI cycle nuts, get on Strava and I'll kudos the gently caress outta everything you do
May look into it this winter if I start going stir crazy. Figuring out how to work it into lifting four days a week and eating enough is my issue. :argh: my stupid high calorie requirements.

88h88 posted:

Online courses can be fantastic but often they're not.
Online training for the most part sucks. For work I have one a month, for one customer I have four a year and for another I have about fifteen and they keep adding more. A few are offered in text version but most are 'interactive' and require you to sit there and click on random poo poo or listen to the narrator.

trouser chili posted:

So the Mercedes is gone and I've bought a motorcycle, just in time for winter...
You did the right thing. Watch this video, it will make you want to go out and ride or buy a dual sport - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh88exSsQ-g

Darchangel posted:

On the Xbox versions, there's a setting to let the game monitor the Kinect, so you HAVE TO BE QUIET OR THE ALIEN WILL HEAR YOU! gently caress. That. Noise. (pun unintentional.)
Oh gently caress that holy crap. I haven't played the game yet but I've been in the room when a few people were playing.

bolind posted:

I really love the look of that car and it also drives really really nice. If I was just slightly stupider and had space I would have bought one by now.

corn in the fridge posted:

sneak and snipe/stab is the only way to play a Bethesda game imo
Started another play through in New Vegas going this route. While smashing everything in the face is fun throwing on a disguise and wiping out an entire camp with a straight razor may be better. edit:then my brother tells me about his FO4 unarmed 'tard strength build...max Strength/Endurance/Luck and 1 in everything else

I bought this one sometime this spring when my WRT54G from college started dying. It seems to be working fine even with multiple devices streaming. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0085WN7YQ

Flu symptoms are gone and feel decent other than a headache that swings from mildly annoying to :suicide: every 30-45 minutes.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 18, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

December is fuckig killing my savings account. My mom's birthday was on Sunday, GF's is Dec. 12, pop's is Dec 21, then Christmas presents for both my parents, lil bro and the girl. Then two Yankee Swap gifts as well. I sold two Supreme t-shirts on eBay for $125 a pop and bought some stuff with that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I hate the holidays, it always ends up feeling like a big money swap anyways. But this year both my wife's and my families decided no more gifts between adults - and small stuff for the kids.

Yeah gifts are nice, but honestly I have enough stuff. When we moved this year I cleaned a ton of stuff out and it was (as much as I hate letting the world know I am an ungrateful bastard) was stuff that was given to me. I am tired of things, I'd rather just spend time with friends and family.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Forgot my tablet at my mom's house 2 hours away. I suggest she brings it with her when she drops my brother off at the airport in a few days and I'll meet them there. She informs me after the fact that she decided to overnight it to me via USPS because...reasons? She actually didn't have a reason. Tracking number this morning shows it was undeliverable and returned but has no return address so it's basically lost now. She only insured it for $50.

:suicide:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yankee Swaps are the best. My mom's side is vicious with steeling gifts and there is a running gag of the same 20yr can of cheeze wiz in the mix.

So last night I applied to an fiber splicing apprenticeship. I actually worked alongside them last year with my old company on a big project. I called HR today to talk to them a little bit more and they were excited at the prospect of not being totally green. It's hard to break into the fiber optics field around here so I am excited. They do mostly huge backbone systems along telephone poles so it is right up my alley.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A guy I know got in a bad wreck and has frankenstein stitches across his head now.

He's kind of a fat piece of poo poo so I don't know how smug I should be.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Did an indian scalp him?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

When it was suggested he should cut his hair because he's going bald this wasn't what he should've done...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Looks like the men of the Night's watch have stopped using practice swords when fighting Samwell Tarley :chord:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

Looks like the men of the Night's watch have stopped using practice swords when fighting Samwell Tarley :chord:

snort

I thought his face was all swollen because of some accident but nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Go see a real accountant. Between this and your healthcare related fines you need to have someone who knows what they are doing straighten this out for you.

• Locked thread