Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

So are supply lines between settlements that important if you can just... fast travel to whatever place your poo poo is in? Everyone says the Local Leader perk is essential but I don't see why? I just restarted my game with 2 CHR and realized LL is like lvl 7 or something, whoops?

If you plan to do any base building then yes, its pretty essential unless you have the patience of the buddha or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

Sounds like it bugged out. You'll always end up fighting him, no way around that, but you're supposed to have a conversation first.

What does he say?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So I'm getting an even weirder version of the "Sent back to clear out a place where everyone's already dead" bug.

They're all alive again! But...lying in the "Dead on the floor" positions and they can't stand up, so I've got corpses that I can shoot and kill and yell and threaten me but don't actually do anything.

Also once re-corpsed they are not lootable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey Cirosan, your mod is on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-18-brilliant-fallout-4-mod-shows-you-what-your-character-will-say-in-dialogue

Dongattack posted:

What does he say?

He drops some cryptic things about Shaun being with the Institute and being "older than you remember." Then the conversation turns to, "Well, we both know how this is going to end," and you can choose what kind of badass boast you want to say before fighting him.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
So apparently Liberty Prime is in here somewhere. :gizz:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

So are supply lines between settlements that important if you can just... fast travel to whatever place your poo poo is in? Everyone says the Local Leader perk is essential but I don't see why? I just restarted my game with 2 CHR and realized LL is like lvl 7 or something, whoops?
Supply lines let you build places up without having to lug around all the crafting ingredients, no? Also, LL is necessary for all the shops, I think, which is super useful if you want to be a billionaire water baron

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Supply lines let you build places up without having to lug around all the crafting ingredients, no? Also, LL is necessary for all the shops, I think, which is super useful if you want to be a billionaire water baron

Ahhh okay you need it for the shops, gotcha. Well looks like it's gonna take me a minute to get it.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Also once re-corpsed they are not lootable.

I feel like The Re-Corpsening could be a B horror movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Great, I'm not trying to follow base building too much outside of Sanctuary, but if I don't look after another settlement, I just get a message that they were all wiped out by raiders. Abernathy Farms got hosed after I did one quest for them. There's no loving resources around there to scrap to make decent defenses unless I haul six tons of material there from Sanctuary, so they all died.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

gromdul posted:

Just turn of AA. Every step of AA doubles the math your GPU has to do.

this isn't MSAA though - the shader based solutions shouldn't work like that. i'll try it though, since as this is a bethesda game and there's a non-zero chance that a more or less free effect in other games could double your GPU usage here

[/quote]

quote:

code:
player.modav carryweight 10000
I hate inventory management. Just carry all the things.

I spent a fair bit of time putzing around in the later portions of skyrim with godmode enabled (which gives you infinite carryweight) after I got sick of the combat so i feel compelled to do a more purestrain bethesda experience this time around. Haven't used the console once, even to noclip out of getting stuck on world geometry which I'm fairly sure is a first.

Also in the spirit of asking questions i've bottled up over like 20 levels in this game; is there a trick to base building that I'm missing? actually building houses from scratch seems to be an absolutely maddeningly complex and janky ordeal, even on the flat building spots in sanctuary. am I missing a method to this? there's just a parade of issues; it's fiddly as hell to place your first piece so it's parallel with the edge of the lot you're building on, you can't really tell if you have enough space to get your floor placed so there's not an awkward gap on one side of the building, sometimes it arbitrarily prevents you from placing stuff etc. Am I just being too autistic about this? Should I just embrace making horrible monstrosities with missing floors and walls?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 18, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Great, I'm not trying to follow base building too much outside of Sanctuary, but if I don't look after another settlement, I just get a message that they were all wiped out by raiders. Abernathy Farms got hosed after I did one quest for them. There's no loving resources around there to scrap to make decent defenses unless I haul six tons of material there from Sanctuary, so they all died.

See above discussion re: Local Leader.

If you don't have it, just don't bother helping any settlements at all and just loot their crops every so often.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

it's pretty unoptimized (in that it looks worse and runs worse than far cry) but I don't think you'll have any major issues

I poked around my computer and found these specs:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 530

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Ram: 8 GB

That doesn't seem to look too good when I look at the Min Specs :sigh:

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

evilentity posted:

So apparently Liberty Prime is in here somewhere. :gizz:

yes, and its a lame rehash

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

just remember that the game doesn't actually care about walls at all. they're nice if you want to funnel attackers into a killzone, but they don't enter into the game's raid calculations.

i think the only thing that matters is your defense score, and if it's higher than the sum of your water and food production in a settlement, then i dont believe it'll get attacked. so if it's a smaller settlement and you don't give a gently caress about making it pretty right there and then, just plop down a few heavy machine gun turrets or something and you should be ok

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was honestly assuming he got tired of lugging around a couple of oil cans and telephones and w/e to make the turrets, myself.

I would be if I kept forgetting them at Sanctuary.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 530

that graphics card might give you problems, but the rest is a little better than my flipsy laptop and i can run it with some finagling. you might need to lower the resolution, but that's hardly the end of the world

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You can also send the inhabitants to some other settlement. I've built up two major hubs at sanctuary and The Castle and whenever I encounter some horribly misplaced settlement I just send the nuggets to one of the above.

Meant to write buggers, not nuggets, but it's staying 'cause it made me laugh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ How do you send inhabitants from one settlement to another? My greenhouse settlement is really overcrowded.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

See above discussion re: Local Leader.

If you don't have it, just don't bother helping any settlements at all and just loot their crops every so often.

I honestly recommend that if you're playing on PC and you're not going for a Charisma build of some sort, just console command yourself the first point of Local Leader. It's such an integral part of settlement building that I can't imagine why they thought it should cost a perk point and require a certain SPECIAL investment. Luckily I went high Charisma this time around so I don't have to, but I wouldn't feel like I was cheating if I did.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh poo poo that's the message I got in my previous game! I wondered why Tenpine Bluffs or whatever suddenly just had like, four corpses in it. There's probably enough scrap to build a few random watchtowers to buff up the defense score though, right? Most settlements are rife with random bullshit from what I've seen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

that graphics card might give you problems, but the rest is a little better than my flipsy laptop and i can run it with some finagling. you might need to lower the resolution, but that's hardly the end of the world

Any suggestions for how I can upgrade my rig for cheapish? I don't need the newest graphics card, just enough to get by. Would more RAM help?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Quick question about the end of the Kellog stuff. Does anything ever come of Nick channeling Kellog for a second there or was he just loving with me?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 530

*i thought this was a laptop at first oops*

that setup smacks of a ropey prebuilt - decent CPU and a good amount of RAM but a woefully underpowered graphics card. If you upgraded to something like a GTX960 or GTX 750ti you'd probably be able to play this at a similar level of quality to the nextgen consoles. Your RAM is fine and so is your CPU.

Just don't buy an AMD card #trustme

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 18, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Doctor Schnabel posted:

still better than suburban shitshacks starring my missing son's crib and the toys he'll never play with ever again :colbert:

He'll play with them again if you load them into the junk cannon and shoot him in the face.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo that's the message I got in my previous game! I wondered why Tenpine Bluffs or whatever suddenly just had like, four corpses in it. There's probably enough scrap to build a few random watchtowers to buff up the defense score though, right? Most settlements are rife with random bullshit from what I've seen.

Watchtowers require settlers to be assigned to them and they don't give a lot of Defense points. You're better off just carrying a bunch of junk that you can auto-scrap for oil, circuitry, gears, and steel.

Or use Local Leader to set up a supply line from settlement to settlement to save you the inventory space, as well as the hassle of constantly fast-traveling to make quick supply runs for stuff you already own but don't have on you, physically. It takes assigning one Settler to Provisioner duty to set up a supply line but the instant you do you have access to all the building materials and crafting ingredients you've stored in your other workshops.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I've gotten my first repeatable crash on PS4. Entering a certain area while doing the Silver Shroud quest causes an error. Trying a reinstall, but that is pretty much never the answer on console.

It has been running so well up until now, I was really hoping we had moved past this :smith: Hopefully I can come at the objective from a different direction and it will sort itself out.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Harrow posted:

^ How do you send inhabitants from one settlement to another? My greenhouse settlement is really overcrowded.

You go into the workshop mode and look at a settler, when it is highlighted you should be able to give him/her orders. On PC I think it's "R" to get a menu of places where you can send them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Sounds like it bugged out. You'll always end up fighting him, no way around that, but you're supposed to have a conversation first.

The Kellogg fight is real buggy. I had to reload because after I shot him once I strafed right eternally, on reload the conversation stopped mid-sentence and never returned. The third time I nuked him immediately after the conversation was over. :v:

Since there are few weapons starting with 't' I've been naming my stuff "The <X>". The 10mm pistol I got at the start is The Classic. It's also now an automatic machine pistol so that name is a little misleading I guess.

e: The unique revolver from the fight we're talking about is now The Adversary. I don't really have a lot of ammo for it though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

gromdul posted:

code:
player.modav carryweight 10000
I hate inventory management. Just carry all the things.

Agreed. This is an automatic. I have a bag of holding damnit.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Watchtowers require settlers to be assigned to them and they don't give a lot of Defense points. You're better off just carrying a bunch of junk that you can auto-scrap for oil, circuitry, gears, and steel.

Or use Local Leader to set up a supply line from settlement to settlement to save you the inventory space, as well as the hassle of constantly fast-traveling to make quick supply runs for stuff you already own but don't have on you, physically. It takes assigning one Settler to Provisioner duty to set up a supply line but the instant you do you have access to all the building materials and crafting ingredients you've stored in your other workshops.

Didn't know they required settlers assigned to them. I build a few for the Sanctuary settlement-quest stuff and it still upped my defense level. Does assigning settlers just up it even more?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You know what's fun? Getting a settlement quest from the guy who is responsible for the trade route. Good luck finding that rear end in a top hat ever again to complete the quest. If you fast travel to him, when you get there he will be somewhere else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Didn't know they required settlers assigned to them. I build a few for the Sanctuary settlement-quest stuff and it still upped my defense level. Does assigning settlers just up it even more?

Well, unassigned settlers will look for tasks to do and then do them, otherwise they'll just be in idle scavenger mode. Those tutorial settlers from Concord are unassigned by default.

Settlers in those two-man farms that you recruit are usually already assigned to food production, so you'd need to manually take one off food and put them onto the tower.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

*i thought this was a laptop at first oops*

that setup smacks of a ropey prebuilt - decent CPU and a good amount of RAM but a woefully underpowered graphics card. If you upgraded to something like a GTX960 or GTX 750ti you'd probably be able to play this at a similar level of quality to the nextgen consoles. Your RAM is fine and so is your CPU.

Just don't buy an AMD card #trustme

Yeah, it's a Dell that my Grandfather bought me for Christmas in 2011, honestly it's served me pretty well but the *fans* have been loud when I've played a few games like Far Cry 4, so I think an upgrade has been coming for a while.

Re: GTX 750ti, which of these would be best? Also, how hard is it to install a graphics card if you're a moderately alcoholic Luddite?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ravenkult posted:

You know what's fun? Getting a settlement quest from the guy who is responsible for the trade route. Good luck finding that rear end in a top hat ever again to complete the quest. If you fast travel to him, when you get there he will be somewhere else.

I didn't know there even were any. What do they usually involve?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I generally have enough supplies to build a couple of turrets so I just slap them down - seems to up the defense in the tiny shithole settlements just enough to top them badgering you about raider attacks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, it's a Dell that my Grandfather bought me for Christmas in 2011, honestly it's served me pretty well but the *fans* have been loud when I've played a few games like Far Cry 4, so I think an upgrade has been coming for a while.

Re: GTX 750ti, is this it? Also, how hard is it to install a graphics card if you're a moderately alcoholic Luddite?

It's easy enough, the PC user manual should have info on what to do.

Since we're asking about graphics card, is there a good online resource to find one that'll work for me? All the names people post are just a bunch of numbers with X or ULTRA and mean nothing to me, the whole area seems surprisingly newb-unfriendly. My PC is one of those thin ones so I need a small card specifically. I'll never be playing Witcher 3 on Ultra on this machine but I'd like at least a boost over the integrated GPU.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Since we're asking about graphics card, is there a good online resource to find one that'll work for me? All the names people post are just a bunch of numbers with X or ULTRA and mean nothing to me, the whole area seems surprisingly newb-unfriendly. My PC is one of those thin ones so I need a small card specifically. I'll never be playing Witcher 3 on Ultra on this machine but I'd like at least a boost over the integrated GPU.

Just ask the the Parts-picking megathread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do energy weapons benefit from the rifle/pistol damage perks?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Do energy weapons benefit from the rifle/pistol damage perks?

Yes.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Any suggestions for how I can upgrade my rig for cheapish? I don't need the newest graphics card, just enough to get by. Would more RAM help?
i'm really out of the loop when it comes to this kind of thing, sadly. You should give Serious Hardware / Software Crap a try. I found them to be pretty helpful whenever I've upgraded stuff in the past.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i'm really out of the loop when it comes to this kind of thing, sadly. You should give Serious Hardware / Software Crap a try. I found them to be pretty helpful whenever I've upgraded stuff in the past.

Doing so now, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Re: GTX 750ti, is this it? Also, how hard is it to install a graphics card if you're a moderately alcoholic Luddite?

It's literally a 2 minute job; take off the side of the case, unscrew the old grahics card, unplug it from the motherboard, replace it with the new one.

Yeah that's a 750 ti. You'll have to do some looking at your current pc to see whether it'll actually fit though.

a)that's a dual slot card, so you'll need to check if there's a free slot (opening for the ports) at the back of your case, next to your current card. There probably is, but make sure!

b) That card you linked requires a 6-pin graphics card plug that comes from your power supply to function - I doubt your current card needs this extra power so your power supply probably doesn't have this plug. The card you linked does come with an adapter that fits two standard 4 pin connectors together to provide this power but it would be best to check beforehand if you have these spare connectors on your power supply (again, you probably do.

^^^^That being said, I believe the 750Ti is the most powerful card you can buy that comes in editions that don't require the 6-pin connector and just run off the motherboard, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127784 So you could get that if you didn't want to faff with the power supply, which I totally understand.

So really all you need to do is check if you have a spare slot. If you don't (and you probably do), you could step down to the GTX 750 which comes in single slot variants.

Hope this helps

2house2fly posted:

GTX 750 or 750 ti from nvidia is the default choice for 'cheapest gpu worth buying' and is a good starting point. Do ask in SHSC though.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 18, 2015

• Locked thread