Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Niton posted:

Keith Adams

that guy shows up at my LGS sometimes. I've seen him film flip it or rip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Here we go Devotion to ♦ :v:

If it were a ▲ we could make illuminati jokes but nooo

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'd be pretty unhappy if this ends up being a mechanic and they don't use it as a chance to errata colorless mana to ♦ mana. It's pretty weird how adding 2 colorless mana says add {2} while for every other type of mana it says add {G}{G}, so I'd hope they use this as a chance to change that instead of only introducing ♦ for one set and making it somehow different from colorless mana.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

If they were going to errata colorless mana to produce this ♦, why would they print a card like Kozilek's Channeler in the set preceding OGW?

Anyway, I doubt this leak is real, most probably someone just got a hold of the art and slapped together some cards. New players would absolutely not get this new mana symbol (it's a color like the other ones but colorless? what?), and it would introduce a lot of new complexity for very little gains.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh neat, some rules technology being added to the back of a 20yo game and the grognards don't like it. It's clunky as-is and I'd rather a fresh start for magic where this could be better implemented but oh well. Works well enough.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
Interestingly, if this does mean can only be cast with colorless mana, it's one of the mechanics from The Great Designer Search 2:

quote:

1) Common Card #1 –
Being from Below
4@
Creature – Horror
5/4
(@ Can only be paid with colorless mana.)

[Mark Rosewater]: Let me start by saying I think the basic structure of your @ mana is solid. It manages to add a pseudo-sixth color in a way that is backward compatible. It's also pretty clean in its execution. I worry though that it isn't fun. We've messed around with this mechanic in the past and as I'll spell out through my notes on the @ cards, it's splashy but it doesn't have great play value.

Other issues I have with it: I don't feel like you gave it any real definition. The cards mostly feel like slightly harder to cast artifacts or colorless spells. Part of the fun of adding a new "color" is making it have some quality that you aren't finding in other colors.

15) Basic Land –
Cavern
Basic Land
(T: Add 1 to your mana pool.)

[Mark Rosewater]: I'm curious why you chose to go the basic land route rather than just having a bunch of common lands that tap for colorless mana. One of the major reasons Barry's Land's never made it to print has to do with its basic land status. The problems don't all just go away with your one rule addition.

This card makes me feel you were drawn to the forbidden design fruit more than you were trying to pick what best serves your set.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
FWIW I like these potential changes... mostly.

Adding a symbol for "must be payed with colorless mana" is good and could open up some new/cool things. Changing colorless mana production to that same symbol is weird though. It's a really sweeping change to make in a small set.

It makes it look like another color when it isn't and I can't wait to have to explain yet more rules weirdness to people. Not that I don't already have to explain poo poo to even our really good players (probably the best guy at our store plays Eternal Command in Modern and I keep having to tell him that if Cryptic only has 1 target and that target is removed, or otherwise becomes illegal, Cryptic gets countered and he doesn't get to tap all my dudes or draw).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

NivMizzet posted:

Interestingly, if this does mean can only be cast with colorless mana, it's one of the mechanics from The Great Designer Search 2:

"Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad." -Maro, after crumpling up test cards and stuffing them in his pocket.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Probably mentioned before, but another strong piece of evidence that this is a big evergreen change to the game is that "waste" would be a waste of a good name for a land. If this was just some stupid eldrazi snow mana they would have picked a different name for the land.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 18, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NivMizzet posted:

"Thanks for the free designs, loser!" -Rosewater, if Wastes et. al. were real, which they are not.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think its a really clean way to impliment a psuedo 6th color.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Is Menace an evergreen word? Why would they print a standard playable card with no reminder text. (And how ugly would Koz be with the text shoved in there?)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think its a really clean way to impliment a psuedo 6th color.

It's going to be an actual 6th color in limited...

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is Menace an evergreen word? Why would they print a standard playable card with no reminder text. (And how ugly would Koz be with the text shoved in there?)

Yeah Menace is evergreen.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yes.
It's a mythic.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Menace is evergreen. Regardless, they tend not to put reminder text on mythics since they show up so rarely there's no real point to reminder text. Plus it has more punch without it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
2R, sorcery, target land becomes a Waste

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Go big or go home.
◇◇◇, Enchantment, all nonbasics become Wastes.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
They're real and they're spectacular.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Naw, think more spreading seas-style.

◇R
Enchant Land
Enchanted Land loses all abilities and is a Waste.
?Draw a card? (this is too strong in the current environment)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

Naw, think more spreading seas-style.

◇R
Enchant Land
Enchanted Land loses all abilities and is a Waste.
?Draw a card? (this is too strong in the current environment)

Wouldn't it actually just say what Spreading Seas does, then?

"Enchanted land is a Waste.
Draw a card."

See not only does it match Spreading Seas' text, it also sounds cooler.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Abolish the color pie. Make a whole new game with 7 basics. It'll be the New Coke of Magic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reminder text on mythics? It varies.

Sometimes, there's just straight up no need. Nothing Anafenza does is actually that complicated. There's nothing reminder text could clarify on Archangel ofTithes.

More to the point, mechanics do tend to have reminder text.

Yes I know Emrakul and Blightsteel don't have reminder text, but that's because they have a lot of words.

Ulamog and other infect mythic Skittles do have reminder text. Ulamog isn't much wordier than that fake Kozilek up there. Hell, Kozilek probably has menace and flavor text entirely so the fakers could decline to put reminder text for ♦.

The flavor text is especially rotten. Elbrus, the Binding Blade is the one time a card has declined reminder text for flavor text, and it was the reminder text for the evergreen keyword Equip. Which is an entirely different league from declining flavor text for new paradigm-changing mechanic ♦ just so you can make some lovely comment about voids? They've never had a set's brand-new marquee mechanic not have reminder text in favor of flavor text.

And I don't see why they'd start here.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kozi underground, with diamonds

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The lowercase "a" in Emrakul's annihilator ability always pissed me off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If this is real, I don't think Kozilek is that good. At least for Standard/Modern.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Newlamog skips reminder text for flavour.

e: if this is actually a larger shift (ie colorless lands will always produce diamonds now to make them distinct from generic mana) then there may be no need for reminder text at all.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Newlamog skips reminder text for flavour.

He has Indestructible, an evergreen keyword. Everything else is instruction.

This is, hm, how we say, different from costing 8♦♦ and not having reminder text for ♦.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

NivMizzet posted:

Heh good catch.

That was Jonathon Loucks who worked as a designer till 2014. Considering how far in advance sets are designed/planned I wouldn't be surprised if MaRo took the idea and re-purposed it; though Jonathon isn't actually on the list of designers for the set.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If colourless lands now produce ♦ what would the reminder text even say? "(♦ can only be paid with ♦)"?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
There's no need for a reminder text if it's a new type of mana. It's not like phyrexian mana which was either a color or 2 life.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Wouldn't it actually just say what Spreading Seas does, then?

"Enchanted land is a Waste.
Draw a card."

See not only does it match Spreading Seas' text, it also sounds cooler.

That doesn't work because Wastes (as spoiled/faked) don't have subtypes.

It would read:

Enchanted land loses all abilities. (Lands with no other abilities have T: Add ♦ to your mana pool.)

Or possibly the land has to be basic with no types to get this ability? Obviously we don't know what the rules support for Wastes will be.

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 18, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Lancelot posted:

It would read:

Enchanted land loses all abilities. (Lands with no other abilities have [mc]T[/mc]: Add ♦ to your mana pool.)

Or possibly the land has to be basic with no types to get this ability? Obviously we don't know what the rules support for Wastes will be.

"Enchanted land loses all abilities and gains "T:♦"

e: Better yet new action word, "waste", which means "loses all abilities and agains "T:♦"".

1♦R, Waste target land.

♦U, enchanted land becomes wasted.

Kabanaw fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 18, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Frozen_flame posted:

Go big or go home.
◇◇◇, Enchantment, all nonbasics become Wastes.

I would be all about wastemoon

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If colourless lands now produce ♦ what would the reminder text even say? "(♦ can only be paid with ♦)"?

Why would they revolutionize the entire game, forever changing how every colorless mana generator works, to make a few cards in a small set more confusing?

Is my name Cassandra?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lancelot posted:

It would read:

Enchanted land loses all abilities. (Lands with no other abilities have [mc]T[/mc]: Add ♦ to your mana pool.)

It would be more:

Enchanted land loses all abilities and types, and gains T: Add ♦ to your mana pool.

Rules support will probs be along the lines of:

♦ is a mana cost that can only be paid by ♦ mana. For example 2♦ would need to be paid for by 2 mana of any type and one ♦; not 3 of any type.

♦ is colourless; spells, effects and abilities that refer to a colour do not include ♦. This means spells and permanents that cost ♦ are also colourless, unless they have other mana costs printed (1♦U would be Blue despite having a cost of ♦).

Spells and effects that add colourless mana do not add ♦ unless specified. This means Sol Ring still taps for 2 not for ♦♦.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2015

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Kabanaw posted:

♦U, enchanted land becomes wasted.

:weed: Moon.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

JerryLee posted:

Magic: The Gathering: Look Again, The Mana Is Now Diamonds

Matgic: The Gathering: Shine on you crazy diamonds

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gridlocked posted:

It would be more:

Enchanted land loses all abilities and types, and gains T: Add ♦ to your mana pool.

Rules support will probs be along the lines of:

♦ is a mana cost that can only be paid by ♦ mana. For example 2♦ would need to be paid for by 2 mana of any type and one ♦; not 3 of any type.

♦ is colourless; spells, effects and abilities that refer to a colour do not include ♦. This means spells and permanents that cost ♦ are also colourless, unless they have other mana costs printed (1♦U would be Blue despite having a cost of ♦).

Spells and effects that add colourless mana do not add ♦ unless specified. This means Sol Ring still taps for 2 not for ♦♦.

I think the idea is that (2) could pay ♦♦ in a cost

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My assumption is that the diamond symbol literally refers to colorless mana. It's not a new, sixth color, and you actually can pay for the new Kozilek by tapping five Sol Rings. However, you could not do it by tapping nine mountains and one mind stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cactrot posted:

Matgic: The Gathering: Shine on you crazy diamonds

Magic the gathering: Diamond is Unfathomable

• Locked thread