Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Bruery does have pretty sweet RS swag, I like their insulated coolers! Hill Farmstead has nice hoodies and hmm I think I'd like one from de Garde...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I loving love my Tired Hands hoodie.

Jester King is a really fun place to drink even though most of their stuff is just so-so to me. Blanc du Bois was very nice to try on tap and I scored a few bottles for later, and I thought the long name collaboration with Live Oak was decent enough. The actual spot is as beautiful as advertised and I imagine second to just about no other brewery in the US. When I went to HF it was winter and snowing. Probably my favorite brewery building of this particular trip was Bluejacket though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I loving love my Tired Hands hoodie.

Jester King is a really fun place to drink even though most of their stuff is just so-so to me. Blanc du Bois was very nice to try on tap and I scored a few bottles for later, and I thought the long name collaboration with Live Oak was decent enough. The actual spot is as beautiful as advertised and I imagine second to just about no other brewery in the US. When I went to HF it was winter and snowing. Probably my favorite brewery building of this particular trip was Bluejacket though.

When I was at Jester King in January, it was raining and lovely. It made me sad since it made it really uncomfortable to walk around and see the area.

But Ommegang is still the prettiest brewery I've ever been to.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Weird delayed double post.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Probably my favorite brewery building of this particular trip was Bluejacket though.

It does have a nice vibe. But how was the beer? :v

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Bruery hoodies are good if you're looking for a 'heavy' hoodie. Lightweight ones I love the poo poo out of my Noble Ale Works hoodies and they're discreet enough that you're not going to get funny looks in public since it's just an embroidered badge on the chest.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Virginia Goons: I have a guy in the DC/MD/VA area offering to send some beer for me to check out, what's some of the more interesting/noteworthy stuff I should ask for that's fairly readily available?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

MunchE posted:

Virginia Goons: I have a guy in the DC/MD/VA area offering to send some beer for me to check out, what's some of the more interesting/noteworthy stuff I should ask for that's fairly readily available?

Well there was pretty much a full page talking about Resolute and it's variants plus Trickery... Hardywood in general is a good choice as well as Lickinghole Creek and Ardent. DC Brau On The Wings Of Armageddon cans if it's around maybe.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MunchE posted:

Do you like peanut butter beers? A frienmd sent me a bunch of good west coast beers for some Sweet Baby Jesus a couple years ago. :shrug:

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

MunchE posted:

Yea if that person is able to get any Resolute or Trickery you want that. As far as readily available Hardywood Gingerbread Stout is pretty easily available at the moment. Lickinghole Creek Bourbon Three Chopt Tripel is around and I think it's pretty good. Their stout (Virginia Black Bear) I'm not a huge fan of. Anything by Brothers brewing I like, and if they can send you growlers get some Ocelot IPAs (some bottle shops get their kegs). I'm not sure if you get Troeg's but Mad Elf is out now. Three Notch'd made a stout called Biggie S'mores last year and they're bottling it this year, I thought it was pretty good (tastes similar to GBS). I think a recent batch of Wings of Armageddon was canned so it should be available at the brewery. We also get Alesmith now which is obviously not local but if you're looking for Speedway or something it's easy to get.

VVV
Union goes to NoVA too now and I think Double Duckpin is good and heard a new batch might be coming around.

nosleep fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 18, 2015

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MunchE posted:

are you in California?

as noted, Hardywood's Gingerbread Stout is an obvious one and they made a fuckload of it this year- 1800bbls- so it should be easy to find. Trickery is amazing, but very few accounts got more than a case, so it might be a bigger ask. since you say DC/MD, i'm gonna assume that this person wouldn't be getting far south of DC, so that limits most other Richmond beers, including Ardent (thanks, air!). Alewerks recently released another batch of Cafe Royale, their seasonal Coffeehouse Stout, and they also started bottling Marley's lament if you're into Christmas beers (which i'm not). Resolute was brewery-only, so that might be a big ask, as well. Devil's Backbone makes excellent lagers and Port City Porter is one of the best year-round beers in the state in my opinion. if he's in DC, Right Proper is excellent, but they don't do any packaged beer at the moment. Maryland... well, i dunno, i don't think there's much in Maryland to brag about at the moment except for maybe Union Brewing, but i think their distribution footprint is really small.

oh, and DC Brau is good, yes.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Probably my favorite brewery building of this particular trip was Bluejacket though.

does that mean you're back home?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
If there's any 3 Stars Desolation still around that would be a great beer to get. I like their peppercorn saison also (and most of their other beers, but not usually enough to buy a 750).

funkybottoms posted:

Maryland... well, i dunno, i don't think there's much in Maryland to brag about at the moment except for maybe Union Brewing, but i think their distribution footprint is really small.

Have you had or heard anything about Denizens in MD? I've been told a few times recently to go there but I don't know the people who recommended it very well.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

air- posted:

Well there was pretty much a full page talking about Resolute and it's variants plus Trickery... Hardywood in general is a good choice as well as Lickinghole Creek and Ardent. DC Brau On The Wings Of Armageddon cans if it's around maybe.

I honestly had no idea where that brewery was when I read the thread :q:

funkybottoms posted:

are you in California?

If I say yes, will you tell me the bad stuff? "One beer please, it's for the Californian...."

Swansonite
Jan 9, 2006
I'll be visiting Kansas City next month. Does anyone have any suggestions on breweries to check out other than Boulevard? Also good areas to stay?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
So uh this might be a dumb question but what are the best books about beer? Im more interested in general history but a reference book like the food lovers encyclopedia would be cool as well.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

So uh this might be a dumb question but what are the best books about beer? Im more interested in general history but a reference book like the food lovers encyclopedia would be cool as well.

The Oxford Companion to Beer

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mosher's Tasting Beer

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Tasting Beer and Jeff Alworth's Beer Bible are informative, easy-to-read, and contain a lot of good information for both budding and experienced beer enthusiasts. The Oxford Companion to Beer is an excellent reference book, but it is truly a reference book and isn't necessarily something you can just sit down and read straight through (although it's fun to open to a random page and read a few entries even if you think they might not be of interest). Pete Brown's Man Walks into a Pub is a fun, Bryson-esque look at the history of beer, although it is largely concerned with English pub culture rather than the rest of the world.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Is anyone else insanely tired of trying to track down new beer?

We had this really chill bottle shop open up in my town, about a 5 minute drive, and they do 6-10 dollar growler fills for 32oz or 12 to 20 depending on the beer, and I've found I much prefer just stopping by there and having some beer, as opposed to all this mail trading, IP trading, waiting in line for 3 hours for a bottle of beer, etc.

That being said, I guess I'll wait in line today for What Supp at McKenzie, and I'll be in line on Black Friday for BCBS....

I just can't keep up on the trade forums for all these different acronyms and different beers, and this vintage vs that vintage, etc..

I'm turning into a bitter old man

air-
Sep 24, 2007

In a nutshell, that's a big part of why I'm moving to Portland. I'm over what the beer culture in Texas has become plus a lot of introspection last year made me realize that I wasn't enjoying myself due to being so fussed about the chase. Focus more on having a good time hanging out with everyone on the thread by turning up for the occasional share/festival/release away from home :yayclod:

e: landing my white whales helped make me feel like I beat the final boss to be fair

air- fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 18, 2015

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Vertigo posted:

Yep. I hit that wall about a year or two ago. Especially with living in PA, near Philly, where we have some pretty awesome distribution. But at the same time, there is some insane price gouging, and that, combined with the whale dick wagging that takes place in this area, turned me off from the scene big time. It's nice to have some trusted spots that I can walk into and find something a bit rare, and I still get the urge to whale chase, but really, us folks in southeast PA have it so good. There are many local or semi local options that are high quality for a great price that just keep the shelves warm.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Schpyder posted:

The Oxford Companion to Beer

I was going to link the wiki in case you wanted maximum :sperg: on this, but apparently their hosting expired.

http://ocbeercommentary.wikispaces.com/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I think a major part of the problem, and everyone's burnout, is the whole hype machine of "everything is whales now" and everything is an ordeal or F5ing tickets or waiting in line.

I don't want to wait in lines anymore. I have no interest in whatever hype stout from loving Georgia is blowing up the trade boards. I'm not buying Max Allotments to make sure I get extras to trade off.

I want to drink lambic that I buy on the internet and approximately 7 US brewers' beer and not worry about poo poo. I'd rather drink literally anything on tap than stand in line to get a bottle of it.

Now of course this is all hypocritical of me to say because I stood in line for hours and paid $100 for a single bottle of old lambic, and will probably go wait in line at McKenzie today but whatever.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

Now of course this is all hypocritical of me to say because I stood in line for hours and paid $100 for a single bottle of old lambic, and will probably go wait in line at McKenzie today but whatever.

Any idea what time I need to be there by to get bottles ? (embarassed)

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

WaffleStomp posted:

Yep. I hit that wall about a year or two ago. Especially with living in PA, near Philly, where we have some pretty awesome distribution. But at the same time, there is some insane price gouging, and that, combined with the whale dick wagging that takes place in this area, turned me off from the scene big time. It's nice to have some trusted spots that I can walk into and find something a bit rare, and I still get the urge to whale chase, but really, us folks in southeast PA have it so good. There are many local or semi local options that are high quality for a great price that just keep the shelves warm.

I agree. I live up in Reading area, and a quick one hour drive will get me to almost any stop with A+++ beer..... then our local sh ops also get some insanely good stuff.

I just... I'm kinda tired of hunting down the next whale... every "whale" I've gotten recently has pretty much been good, but not worth the trade plus shipping.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I don't go to releases, I don't do trades, I don't hunt for whales or tradebait. I drink good shelf beers at home and whatever looks interesting at my local breweries/bars, and whatever doesn't have a ridiculous line at whatever festivals I go to. If I find something special or rare in one of those instances, great! If not, I don't stress about it. Beer for me is an enjoyable pastime, not a serious hobby, and I definitely don't want to make a job out of it. Life is pretty good when everything about beer is chill and effortless! :cheers:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I like where this is going, everyone. Keep drinking local and poo poo and in a few years I will be drowning in whales that no one wants to drink.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

danbanana posted:

I like where this is going, everyone. Keep drinking local and poo poo and in a few years I will be drowning in whales that no one wants to drink.

You know that'll never happen. There is no bigger dick swinging hobby than beer. "Oh.. you just have stuff from... (upturn nose) The Bruery?" Pssh... come talk to me when you have the latest nano release from Boiled Squirrel Nuts in East Bumblefuck Montana. There were only 45 bottles and so far they all have had no carb and taste of exhaust fumes, but i'm hoping the one I traded away 10 year vertical of Dark Lord, my 2 pre Hunas, and some ultra hard to get Cantillons will taste just perfect, but I'll never know because I put it on my cellar list and I'll never drink it"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
CHICAGOONS (or I guess anyone who wants to come in for it): A buddy of mine has an extra for the Saturday night FOBAB session. Any takers? Let me know ASAP.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Vertigo posted:

We had this really chill bottle shop open up in my town, about a 5 minute drive, and they do 6-10 dollar growler fills for 32oz or 12 to 20 depending on the beer, and I've found I much prefer just stopping by there and having some beer, as opposed to all this mail trading, IP trading, waiting in line for 3 hours for a bottle of beer, etc.

That being said, I guess I'll wait in line today for What Supp at McKenzie, and I'll be in line on Black Friday for BCBS....

I just can't keep up on the trade forums for all these different acronyms and different beers, and this vintage vs that vintage, etc..

I'm turning into a bitter old man

I still haven't hit that wall, but I've largely stopped trading for "flavor of the month" bottles and instead send boxes to people I've already traded with over the past few years - many of which I've met in person at various events.

I'm still batshit crazy, and I'm willing to drive 12 hours to get certain releases (Mornin' Delight comes to mine as of recently), but I largely ignore trading forums and the "hype" culture.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm extremely out of the loop with all things beer since having a kid 9 months ago, and haven't checked in to this thread in ages. Hope to see some of you all out at FOBAB on Friday evening.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Ambitious Brew by Maureen Ogle is a fantastic look into the history of beer in the US. It talks about how beer became popular (the US was historically a spirit drinking country before the 19th century) and how the big companies became the big companies, what led to prohibition and how the market changed postwar. It's a really fascinating reality based look into the history of beer that breaks from the common "wisdom" of "BEER WAS AWESOME, THEN PROHIBITION AND BIG BREWERIES CONSPIRED TO RUIN IT UNTIL FRITZ MAYTAG SAVED THE DAY"

It was written in 2007 but it only covers history up until around when Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams came around so it's a fun history piece.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I don't have nearly enough time to try even a part of what is available in Amsterdam bottle shops and bars, even if I never drink the same beer twice. Even if I only go to supermarkets and occasionally a pub and ignore the bottle shops there's still more than I can try. So, I don't exactly feel like I have to go chasing after specific beers.
It's fun to try the local things when I'm on a trip though, and find the best places to try those beers.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Every great beer experience I've had is because of people I've met and shared beers with, not because of the beer itself, no matter how "whalez bro" it was. I go to releases and visit breweries mainly because I meet cool beer people everywhere. The 1% that are tick obsessed can be a pain, but in general they're a big minority. That said, if getting the biggest, baddest beers is what gets you going, more power to you. I can see the attraction of having the rarest of the rare and being king beer nerd, but it's never seemed worth the effort to me. Especially with the quality of beers that are readily available, or the fact that this month's whale will be next years shelf turd (in a lot of cases).

Florida trip report:

Would drive again.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Re: Beer Scene Fatigue

I think I land somewhere in the middle of most of you guys. I refuse to wait in lines - I hate lines in every situation and especially in beer. But I do grab a lot of online releases and I'm driving 3 hours to Kern this weekend to grab some Citra, so I'm not immune to chasing beer. I am pretty much over trading for out of market stuff, though. I think the overall quality bar is high enough that most trades are a net neutral. I've had a lot of out of market hype beer and most of them - especially stouts - aren't all that different than similar stuff I can get in market.

Personally my favorite thing is to try to find the unappreciated gems/next big thing breweries and share them with my friends. It still involves long random drives to chase beers down and whatnot but at least I'm not drinking in a parking lot at 3AM and pretending my vagrancy is a "bottle share"

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

danbanana posted:

CHICAGOONS (or I guess anyone who wants to come in for it): A buddy of mine has an extra for the Saturday night FOBAB session. Any takers? Let me know ASAP.

Sent you a PM.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MunchE posted:

Re: Beer Scene Fatigue

Personally my favorite thing is to try to find the unappreciated gems/next big thing breweries and share them with my friends. It still involves long random drives to chase beers down and whatnot but at least I'm not drinking in a parking lot at 3AM and pretending my vagrancy is a "bottle share"

I'd rather wait in line in a parking lot and drink over driving hours to pick up online bottle sales.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'd rather wait in line in a parking lot and drink over driving hours to pick up online bottle sales.

as Black Friday, Disneyland, Comicon and iPhone releases have shown me, there is a large portion of the population that thinks lines are the funnest thing ever. I don't fall into that category.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MunchE posted:

as Black Friday, Disneyland, Comicon and iPhone releases have shown me, there is a large portion of the population that thinks lines are the funnest thing ever. I don't fall into that category.

What I mean to say is that driving long distances is a worse experience than waiting in line, in my opinion. You have to be 100% attentive or you might die. You can do everything in line that you can do while driving (listen to music, bullshit with friends), and then some (gently caress around on your phone, drink beer in certain parking lots, etc).

I'm a product of being raised an hour away from Cedar Point, though. Waiting in line was something I did throughout my childhood.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think waiting in line is a fairly terrible waste of time due to a possibility of not getting anything; thankfully almost all of the CA bottle releases have moved to online ticket sales with a few exceptions consisting of special events and one-off beers.

Yet, with regards to beer fatigue, I've pretty much focused on buying from breweries directly and only buy from stores when I'm there for other reasons, i.e. Costco. I've also made three separate trips from LA to de Garde over this year so I could also be considered fairly insane in terms of travel distance and time.