Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I'd say that Mike Pence actually did those people a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While half of America is trembling in fear of the thought of toddling Syrian refugees taking over good Christian preschools, here's how the country where the attacks actually happened is dealing with it.

quote:

“Life should resume fully,” Hollande told a gathering of the country’s mayors, who gave him a standing ovation. “What would France be without its museums, without its terraces, its concerts, its sports competitions?

“France should remain as it is. Our duty is to carry on our lives.”

In the same spirit, he added, “30,000 refugees will be welcomed over the next two years. Our country has the duty to respect this commitment,” explaining that they will undergo vigorous security checks.

Hollande noted that “some people say the tragic events of the last few days have sown doubts in their minds,” but called it a “humanitarian duty” to help those people … but one that will go hand in hand with “our duty to protect our people.”

“We have to reinforce our borders while remaining true to our values,” he said.

I don't ever want to hear another American make fun of the French for being cowards.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama calling them out as being scared of questions and toddlers was pretty apropos.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
We have 6800 abandoned homes here in Indianapolis. Split it between homeless vets (who we also have a huge amount of) and refugees. 3 birds, 1 stone

Oh wait, this is Indiana.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

So how long before we cycle around to Donald Segretti-esque ratfucking again?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radish posted:

Obama calling them out as being scared of questions and toddlers was pretty apropos.

Meanwhile, Mother Jones is concerned that we look weak on defense for not calling them loving idiots and mocking them.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'd say that Mike Pence actually did those people a favor.

Agreed, at least they can get some kickass pizza in new haven

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meanwhile, Mother Jones is concerned that we look weak on defense for not calling them loving idiots and mocking them.

I'm really exhausted of good normal Republicans allowing these poo poo heads to control their party because of a pet gun or tax issue. We complain that left leaning voters always eat their own but supposedly reasonable Republicans remain quiet while members of their own party call for a billion Muslims to take responsibility for ISIS.

gently caress it I'm done being nice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's no such thing as a normal good Republicans.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

zoux posted:

While half of America is trembling in fear of the thought of toddling Syrian refugees taking over good Christian preschools, here's how the country where the attacks actually happened is dealing with it.

I don't ever want to hear another American make fun of the French for being cowards.

I want this rubbed in the face of every governor, every armchair pearl clutcher, every presidential candidate who took free shots over this. The country that was actually attacked is accepting triple what we are. This entire debacle makes me so loving angry.

This was a test of character for America. And we failed it miserably.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Fried Chicken posted:

We have 6800 abandoned homes here in Indianapolis. Split it between homeless vets (who we also have a huge amount of) and refugees. 3 birds, 1 stone

Oh wait, this is Indiana.

Hell, just give them Detroit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. Our President had choice words to say about people being lovely to the refugees and a lot of Governors are committed to still taking them in. I don't think it's something the country as a whole has failed but the "I'm so scared I need my precious AR to protect me from hordes of The Others :ohdear:" people certainly did. Apparently even the Evangelical Christians are unhappy with the tone of gently caress Refuges.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm doing my part.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Raerlynn posted:

I want this rubbed in the face of every governor, every armchair pearl clutcher, every presidential candidate who took free shots over this. The country that was actually attacked is accepting triple what we are. This entire debacle makes me so loving angry.

Excuse me, but if we don't drop everything we're doing and change our entire way of life and kill every Muslim in a knee-jerk reaction, the terrorists win. :colbert:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Radish posted:

I dunno. Our President had choice words to say about people being lovely to the refugees and a lot of Governors are committed to still taking them in. I don't think it's something the country as a whole has failed but the "I'm so scared I need my precious AR to protect me from hordes of The Others :ohdear:" people certainly did. Apparently even the Evangelical Christians are unhappy with the tone of gently caress Refuges.
Unhappy enough not to vote for the assholes, though? I doubt it.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Excuse me, but if we don't drop everything we're doing and change our entire way of life and kill every Muslim in a knee-jerk reaction, the terrorists win. :colbert:

Ah yes. Forgot, America. The character can be described as "more dakka".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you were upset that you missed the most hateful, ignorant and xenophobic public rhetoric against black people during the Jim Crow era, have we got a deal for you!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

From a purely political standpoint, doesn't taking in refugees make an assload of sense? Even if you're a republican, you can take them and split them between districts and then come 2020, you've got a lot more people in your state allowing a shift in EVs. Add in some gerrymandering and you've got another 1 or 2 people in the House without much effort on your part.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Raerlynn posted:

If you wanna feel really bad, try to think of the last time America passed a test of character. And let me know, because I can't come up with anything right now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grey Fox posted:

Unhappy enough not to vote for the assholes, though? I doubt it.

I thought that Evangelicals were actually the type to stay home if they weren't specifically pandered to. I'm not sure if this would be enough to do it but at least they are expressing something positive for once.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Riptor posted:

Agreed, at least they can get some kickass pizza in new haven

And they can even be gay while eating it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

AmiYumi posted:

If you wanna feel really bad, try to think of the last time America passed a test of character. And let me know, because I can't come up with anything right now.

Well refusing to bid for future World Cups is a good start...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

From a purely political standpoint, doesn't taking in refugees make an assload of sense? Even if you're a republican, you can take them and split them between districts and then come 2020, you've got a lot more people in your state allowing a shift in EVs. Add in some gerrymandering and you've got another 1 or 2 people in the House without much effort on your part.

From a purely political standpoint: immigrants and the children of immigrants don't vote Republican.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hollismason posted:

And this is the real problem.

You should not feel constantly at war with ones neighbors. If the election doesn't go my way, the outcome should be acceptable even if it isn't optimal. Not everything should be some political battlefield where it is a war to the knife.

Instead we are at the point where one party is advocating secret prisons, indefinite detention, torture, mass racial targeting, en-mass racial deportation, religious supremacy, lowering wages, pervasive surveillance, where every realm of culture is now some battle in a war against the literal Nazi concept of "cultural Marxism", and they are pushing all sorts of in group supremacist laws, be it for sexual orientation, race, or gender.

It's one side completely off the drat rails. There isn't anything any democrat is pushing that is anywhere near what the moderate mainstream republicans are pushing. Look at the democratic extremists: Sanders is an extremist for wanting to hike the top tax rate less than 10%to pay for college and family leave and to drop the enrollment barriers to existing programs. TNC is an extremist for wanting enforcement of anti-housing discrimination laws and a jobs program. That's how far it goes in the left.

Things have amped so much that you can't sit back anymore without being complacent in villainous poo poo. And there aren't any places to relax in between working against it because everything is some sort of drat "war on" these days, from my terrible nerd poo poo books to my morning coffee to my going to the movie theatre.

This isn't a sustainable life, and it's because one side is so broken you can't even parse it simply in words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fite me irl, says man aspiring to nation's highest office.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

AmiYumi posted:

Cuban Missile Crisis? Anyone wanna bid higher?

Although my understanding is that JFK basically went around most of his advisers and had to keep the deal secret from the American public so even that might not count.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Last year the value of all civil asset forfeiture was greater than the value of all burglaries in the US

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

- says man to another man through a television camera

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

So how long before we cycle around to Donald Segretti-esque ratfucking again?

I'm not entirely sure it ever really stopped. I think we've just been lucky that Republicans of the last 15 to 20 years are thankfully not as talented as Richard Nixon or Reagan

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

The base will LOVE this. If Cruz literally punched Obama in the face, he would be polling at 98% the next day in the primary.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

The GOP is full of men with the literal maturity of a middle-schooler on the Internet. And their constituents eat this poo poo up because they too never matured beyond the age of 12.

This is so sad it's funny, honestly.

Edit:

mcmagic posted:

The base will LOVE this. If Cruz literally punched Obama in the face, he would be polling at 98% the next day in the primary.

Watching Cruz try to punch Obama, resulting in him having his head crushed in by a very large Secret Service agent before being tossed in a federal prison to rot for the next 20 years would be the greatest thing I'd see in my life, and I would play the video each night as my favorite bedtime story. :allears:

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 18, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

I say Obama should do this. He's in better shape and has longer reach, I think he could take Cruz

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

George W Bush

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fried Chicken posted:

I say Obama should do this. He's in better shape and has longer reach, I think he could take Cruz

Rafael couldn't handle a portly asian staffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHgQ-ippPA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think you're allowed to challenge the POTUS to a duel Mr. Cruz.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

Dunno, judging from the pictures of him Cruz might be too slippery to get in a headlock.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh and Trump is now calling for the GOP to shutdown the government over refugees.

if they don't do it, he captures the base's anger and racism

If they do it and lose (which they will) he can argue he would have gotten a better deal and capture the base's anger and racism

If they do it and win (not gonna happen) he gets acclaim for it (though here Cruz et al join in)

He really gets this group

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ripoff posted:

The GOP is full of men with the literal maturity of a middle-schooler on the Internet. And their constituents eat this poo poo up because they too never matured beyond the age of 12.

This is so sad it's funny, honestly.

It's not sad, it's just funny.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 18, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I don't think you're allowed to challenge POTUS to a duel Mr. Cruz.

Christie could. Everything is legal in New Jersey.

Careful how you proceed good man, intemperate indeed, good man, answer to the accusations I lay at your feet or prepare to bleed, good man.

I am have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - T.Cruz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Imagine a Cruz rally interrupted by the President's limo rolling up through the crowd, Hail to the Chief blaring from a black SUV following it.

"By Gawd, that's Obama's music!"

• Locked thread