Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe Brook is the first person to ever have let their flesh rot away before returning his spirit? All prior users got back straight away and died of being stabbed or whatever, Brook just happened to luck into higher 'spirit strength' or whatever which allows him to recapitate himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe Brook is the first person to ever have let their flesh rot away before returning his spirit? All prior users got back straight away and died of being stabbed or whatever, Brook just happened to luck into higher 'spirit strength' or whatever which allows him to recapitate himself.

Yeah, his explanation made it sound like that. Imagine all those chumps returning to their bodies immediately and not gaining any powers. He's also said that he had more spirit powers due to his prolonged time spent as a spirit.

It's funny that he had 50 years to train, but it only took 2 to gain a whole new dimension to his powers after joining the crew. Must be the Luffy effect. (But how did he learn he could run on water when he was alone at sea? Seems like a dangerous thing to test.)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Also he spent those 50 years in isolation in a fog bank and possibly learning to move and stuff again.

Then the intense "leaning against the wall" training began.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, his explanation made it sound like that. Imagine all those chumps returning to their bodies immediately and not gaining any powers. He's also said that he had more spirit powers due to his prolonged time spent as a spirit.

It's funny that he had 50 years to train, but it only took 2 to gain a whole new dimension to his powers after joining the crew. Must be the Luffy effect. (But how did he learn he could run on water when he was alone at sea? Seems like a dangerous thing to test.)

He probably just fell overboard and was forced to find out the hard way.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
what still bugs me is his body didnt rot away ON the ship his body rotted away in the sea. oh. it washed ashore on thriller bark and his shadow was stolen ...i think?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im pretty sure it just rotted away on the ship.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KoB posted:

Im pretty sure it just rotted away on the ship.

Yeah, rotted away and picked clean by birds and bugs. Leaving just a sun bleached skeleton on the deck of his ship. Then a few decades after reviving he got caught up by Thrillerbark.

Hes actually surprisingly sane and minimally eccentric for a dude who woke up a skeleton and then spent 50 or so years in effective solitary.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 18, 2015

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't forget that Brook died when Roger was a rookie, well before Thriller Bark even existed. Him losing his shadow was a very recent thing.

Not really sure Moria's plan since all the people whose shadows he stole die in sunlight, which seems rather likely (ex, those Marines at Marineford). I guess if you die, your detached shadow doesn't disappear?
It also seemed they were a bit confused on if the body or the shadow gave the result its personality, especially the samurai Brook zombie and the lady slave zombie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If you die, your shadow dies. Moria didn't really care about losing the shadows of people too weak to make it by living like a vampire.

As for personality, zombies only keep aspects of the personality of the original person. Which is why Sanji's zombie eventually was fine with kicking women but still fought with Zoro's zombie.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

With the Shadows, a strong personality from the shadow will influence the original, though it's meant to fade over time.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

If you die, your shadow dies. Moria didn't really care about losing the shadows of people too weak to make it by living like a vampire.

Yes, but there's a scene in Marineford where he steals some marines' shadows to fight Jimbei in mid-daylight. Wouldn't they instantly die and then they'd lose their shadow and be worthless to Moria?

Also, he really should consider imprisoning his victims instead of letting them loose to die / coalition against him like they obviously are going to. Making an army from strong people is great, but you better make sure your zombie versions are significantly better than the originals because you instantly make enemies with said strong people who now are united in having only the goal of defeating you.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Is it stealing the shadow that causes you to die in sunlight, or is it the act of merging it with a corpse to make the zombies that does it? If the latter then the Marineford thing would be no issue.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The stealing of the shadow, definitely. Remember the Straw Hats half-melting away in the sun at the end of Thriller Bark? Though I guess at that point their souls were part of Mega-Moria, so I guess either could technically be possible, but I'd lean to the former.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The stealing of the shadow, definitely. Remember the Straw Hats half-melting away in the sun at the end of Thriller Bark? Though I guess at that point their souls were part of Mega-Moria, so I guess either could technically be possible, but I'd lean to the former.

The shadows at Marineford were also used to form Mega-Moria. But yes, it's the lose of the shadow. That's also why they were still dying even after Moria was defeated - because the shadows didn't go straight back to their owners, but arced around to build *tension* while they all burned away.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When Marco had the seastone handcuff on his wrist he should have just cut his hand off and then regenerated it.

e: Marco is still my boy though

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It just occured to me that Brook doesn't actually need food or water, since he was drifting on that ship for nearly 50 years.

Then again he was sipping tea so mqtbe they were really well stocked.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

When Marco had the seastone handcuff on his wrist he should have just cut his hand off and then regenerated it.

I imagine he didn't because that would hurt like a motherfucker and also has the chance of doing permanent damage since his regenerative powers don't work while he's still wearing the cuffs, so he could chop off his hand and then it wouldn't grow back since he didn't have no powers to grow it back with until after he dismembered himself. Also, again, hurt like a motherfucker.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shadow0 posted:

During the timeskip Brook had an urgent reason to innovate and find ways to break through his limits to be ready for the New World with Luffy and co.

Chilling on a dead ship for X amount of years doesn't have nearly the same urgency or need to innovate or explore your DF powers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

It just occured to me that Brook doesn't actually need food or water, since he was drifting on that ship for nearly 50 years.

Then again he was sipping tea so mqtbe they were really well stocked.

He drinks milk/eats high-calcium food to regenerate his bones.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

On occasion I want to go read One Piece and then I see the chapter count and it feels like I want to climb a mountain that I know I could never reach the end of.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mindblast posted:

On occasion I want to go read One Piece and then I see the chapter count and it feels like I want to climb a mountain that I know I could never reach the end of.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step. Read a few chapters a day and you'll be caught up pretty quickly. If you've been watching the anime you can pretty much just jump in where the anime left off and be caught up in a day or two.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Mindblast posted:

You have no idea how quickly it goes. I've read One Piece probably 4x in its entirety.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
If you do read it, be sure to post your reactions as you go, I miss back when Waffleman was still catching up, it's nice to have some young blood to invigorate this dry husk of a thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I imagine he didn't because that would hurt like a motherfucker and also has the chance of doing permanent damage since his regenerative powers don't work while he's still wearing the cuffs, so he could chop off his hand and then it wouldn't grow back since he didn't have no powers to grow it back with until after he dismembered himself. Also, again, hurt like a motherfucker.

Right but he could regenerate as soon as the cut was made and separated the seastone from the rest of his body. Yeah it'd hurt like hell but probably less than losing Whitebeard and Ace. Though I think his regen has limits anyways but if not he should have done that. Spoilered cos of person new to series in thread.

RE: This week's episode. You just got Frogwelled, son!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Just saw this on FB. Forgive me:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is that an actual announcement for a new movie?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
People are excited for the Warcraft movie?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am sad that the guy from Vikings is in it because he is cool and good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Any dork that is excited for the Warcraft movie but is unimpressed to rolling their eyes at Batman vs Superman and Civil War needs to go ahead and turn in their dork card. That is unacceptable levels of fanboyism, and they should be ashamed.

But yes, the true crime of Warcraft will be failing to show how awesome Ragnar can be.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gyges posted:

But yes, the true crime of Warcraft will be failing to show how awesome Ragnar can be.

His Warcraft character better headbutt something to death.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Gyges posted:

Any dork that is excited for the Warcraft movie but is unimpressed to rolling their eyes at Batman vs Superman and Civil War needs to go ahead and turn in their dork card. That is unacceptable levels of fanboyism, and they should be ashamed.

Why would being excited for a Duncan Jones movie but not another lovely rear end Superman movie be shameful?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="453047692"]
Why would being excited for a Duncan Jones movie but not another lovely rear end Superman movie be shameful?

If he can zug zug a Moon out of Warcraft I'll be very surprised.

Also MoS was good and BvS also looks good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The latest superman movie was so terrible it was the first movie I've ever actually walked out on

So I don't really have great hopes for superman batman even if the trailer was good

KoB
May 1, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="453047692"]

Because Blizzard clearly has a lot of control over the movie and they cant write a story worth poo poo anymore.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mindblast posted:

I started rereading it last week and I'm over halfway done.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pica seems crazy overpowered. Seems like he can casually wreck a whole island whenever he wants. Though Zoro can effortlessly cut mountains in half so.

I was very excited the preview showed Mihawk. I thought this was a perfect moment to expand on his time training with him. Learn the secret of how he acquired haki. I was very excited. It was exactly what I thought they were going to use the timeskip for. Now I realize the next few weeks are going to be half recaps and also we're still not going to get anything about the timeskip.

I guess Zoro and Robin's stories at least should pop up since they are relevant to the some of the plot. I'm still holding out hope.

Some of these overhead shots of the city make it look crazy populated. It looks like there are more houses on Dressrosa than on all other islands combined. All the same houses though.

I feel like this arc has used more recycled animations than any before. That footstep animation was shown like 3 or 4 times. And that crowd in the coliseum...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It is pretty sad that the current arc is mostly filler and stock footage :(

At least it's approaching the end, there's only Bellamy, Trebol and Doffy left to deal with, right? So like 50 more episodes full of flashbacks within flashbacks or something.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Holy hell that was good. I ended up finding out what chapter ep 719 was and read it before this episode because I couldnt wait to see what Zoro's fifth plan was. Of course the episode was drawn out, but you know Zoro is super strong when he makes a few thousand people :aaa:. I always love Zoro's fights and he doesn't even have a devil fruit power!

Getting really sick of Luffy vs Bellamy. I bet the manga didn't show the same footage over and over again like the anime, which makes it feel as if Luffy has been fighting Bellamy for a long time. Just loving knock him out already.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Holy hell that was good. I ended up finding out what chapter ep 719 was and read it before this episode because I couldnt wait to see what Zoro's fifth plan was. Of course the episode was drawn out, but you know Zoro is super strong when he makes a few thousand people :aaa:. I always love Zoro's fights and he doesn't even have a devil fruit power!

Getting really sick of Luffy vs Bellamy. I bet the manga didn't show the same footage over and over again like the anime, which makes it feel as if Luffy has been fighting Bellamy for a long time. Just loving knock him out already.

Even in the manga this whole section just draggggggggggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah that fight totals a few-ish pages and in the manga, but spread out over like 2 or 3 chapters.