Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
world 8 in super mario 3 makes a lot more sense now thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

its like some poo poo out of battletech

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ded posted:

an interesting tank but why wouldn't they just put it all into 1 chassis instead of making poo poo even more complicated.

That same Ask Us About Military History thread had a guy post details on the inside of the S-Tank. What I remember is that it has two engine bays (because of the gun going so far back) with a separate turbine and diesel, and something like 4 gearboxes to connect the two and make them work in sync. It's hilariously overcomplicated for no good reason.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Wasn't the point of the S-Tank to destroy as many Soviet tanks as possible while falling back to a series of prepared positions until it was eventually destroyed? Who cares if the gearbox is hard to maintain when the tank's almost certain future was to eventually be overrun and smashed. So long as the gun could kill Ivan until that point

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
cool stug 2.0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Wasn't the point of the S-Tank to destroy as many Soviet tanks as possible while falling back to a series of prepared positions until it was eventually destroyed? Who cares if the gearbox is hard to maintain when the tank's almost certain future was to eventually be overrun and smashed. So long as the gun could kill Ivan until that point
It was designed not to be overrun. The 3rd crewman has full driving controls and sits facing the rear, and they were meant to fight from dugouts, running to the next set when Ivan got close (this is what the turbine's for). Having a diesel for low power operations is also p great if you have to sit around a bunch. Better for IR too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Didn't you also have to stop to switch gears?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

ded posted:

an interesting tank but why wouldn't they just put it all into 1 chassis instead of making poo poo even more complicated.

Probably the success of transport BV202 and it's even more succesfull sucessor, the BV206.

I guess they hoped they could get the same mobility in a heavier armored combat vehicle.

That gif would make a lot more sense if ISIS didn't just bomb a Russian passenger plane.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Paging TheFluff for a better explanation, but a solid no on the 'fighting while falling back point' as their prime reason for existing.

Dudes just made the decision to forego on building a straight-up tank and went for a high speed low drag weird-rear end solution. All was still part of your regular armor playbook in having a mobile, hard-hitting reserve that can do counterattacks.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Id be seriously interested in knowing how a turretless tank was meant to go on the offensive unless it was assumed that it would always be fighting in country that would allow it always have a defilade position to shoot from

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
they did some wargames against the baor and determined that the s-tank wasn't worse off than british tanks in the offense.

http://home4.swipnet.se/~w-42039/comparisons_with_turreted_tanks.htm

there is some other frequently cited study that i cant find but this is the gist of it

vains fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2015

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

there is some other frequently cited study that i cant find but this is the gist of it

quote:

The main drawback that the "S" has recieved critisism for is the inability to fire on the move.

That sort of jumps out at me. Perhaps it wasn't such a huge deal in 1982.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Despite being an armor officer I don't know poo poo about tanks in general other than the Abrams, and even that's somewhat limited as far as boot armor LTs go, during STX/CME I only did 3 tank missions compared to 20 scout missions.

Are there any foreign tanks that have anything like the Abrams' CITV? I know that the foreign officers in my class weren't allowed to use the A2 because of the CITV and some of the other upgrades it has. Seems like a pretty big game changer with the tank commander being able to acquire targets and designate the gunner onto them after he's done firing at another target.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leo's have a 360 periscope with a thermal imager, so does the leclerc.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Scratch Monkey posted:

That sort of jumps out at me. Perhaps it wasn't such a huge deal in 1982.

in the time period nobody had good enough stabilizers that firing on move was going to yield a high percentage first round/first burst hit from the move.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

French entry shield from this weekend. 27 hits from dudes wielding AKs wearing TATP suicide vests

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Does anybody smell almonds? #GETSOMME

look, this is going back a few pages but it really needs to be brought back up because look how perfect it is

loving lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong thread.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Syria in a nutshell - US backed rebels using US provided TOW ATGMs to destroy a US Humvee likely provided to Iraqi forces who are now supporting Assad in Syria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKTnvBTQGU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Brown Moses posted:

Syria in a nutshell - US backed rebels using US provided TOW ATGMs to destroy a US Humvee likely provided to Iraqi forces who are now supporting Assad in Syria.

Wait what? Have Iraqi security forces joined assad?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

12 years on and they're still coming up with ways of making that war a total waste of everything

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 17, 2015

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

GyverMac posted:

Likely the US gave them to Iraqi forces who shared them with militias backed by Iran, who have been fighting alongside them.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Tank fires mid-air

http://i.imgur.com/vBatKfc.gifv

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We need another European land war. Everything looks better in woodland/OD.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Godholio posted:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

GyverMac posted:

the iraqi militias and armyshia are backed by the iraniansshia, and the iranians pull the strings of hezbollahshia, who are helping the assad regimeshia fight against isissunni and al nusrasunni and the fsasecular, syke! theyre sunni etc. just like every war in the mid east its across sectarian lines

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Ya think the gunner had raccoon-eyes after that?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the iraqi militias and armyshia are backed by the iraniansshia, and the iranians pull the strings of hezbollahshia, who are helping the assad regimeshia fight against isissunni and al nusrasunni and the fsasecular, syke! theyre sunni etc. just like every war in the mid east its across sectarian lines

This is actually the best explanation I've seen since that Afghanistan.ppt mess.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Brown Moses posted:

For a second there i thought he was going to sail it through the things window.

Are TOWS this easy to use or are all these guys using them really loving good? It always seems to be the same few guys in all the videos.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

I'm sure Ukraine wouldn't mind.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Godholio posted:

I was just thinking how weird it is seeing US heavy armor in woodland camo again.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Keket posted:

Are TOWS this easy to use or are all these guys using them really loving good? It always seems to be the same few guys in all the videos.

If the intelligence of every TOW Gunner I ever met is an indicator, they're practically Fisher-Price levels of simple

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eel hovercraft posted:

I was just thinking how weird it is seeing US heavy armor in woodland camo again.

That reminds me of when the U.S. pulled out it's last Abrams from Germany a few years ago, and there was a minor show about it since it was the first time in sixty some odd years they didn't have MBTs in Europe...only for them to start redeploying them in Europe again this year thanks to Russia and their antics in Ukraine/Crimea.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Keket posted:

Easy as gently caress to be all ninja TOW sniper.

Assuming they don't just break the copper wire and shoot straight up in the air or any other random direction. And the engine doesn't fail. Or the warhead doesnt.

Lowest bidder contract monkeys I assume.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Keket posted:

Most infantry weapons are designed to be used by the dumbest hick motherfuckers on the planet.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

ded posted:

Most infantry weapons are designed to be used by the dumbest hick motherfuckers on the planet.

Tell that to the ones that designed the ERYX. Having the missile drop because you aren't continuously pressing the trigger is pretty silly

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Booblord Zagats posted:

If the intelligence of every TOW Gunner I ever met is an indicator, they're practically Fisher-Price levels of simple

Isn't it literally?

1. Set up tripod stand
2. Load missile
3. Lock in missile
4. Turn on sight
5. Place red dot on target
6. Hit button that spools up missile gyro and fires missile
7. Keep red dot on target as the missile leaves the tube and travels to target

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I've only shot the Eryx wire-guided missile, but if it's anything similar, poo poo gets harder when there's a great deal of target movement involved. Simulator work helps a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Speaking of Eryx.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=by97YbRFpjM

• Locked thread