Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I'm sorry pookie :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

"we are not things"

- a nippley babe, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If women weren't objects, I wouldn't be able to pick them up. Check and mate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Larry Parrish posted:

well you can't, so this holds up at least

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
what's extremely sexy and goes OOOEEEEOOOOOOO

charlize theremon

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hey. Let me start by saying that I'm completely new to this sub and to reading scifi. I just started reading again after a looong (8 years) hiatus and I thought I'd read some SciFi classics since I really like the genre.
So I read Neuromancer and it was one of the hardest books I've read, and not in an engaging way. The story seemed to be all over the place, and was progressing really slowly among walls of description text. I had to re-read pages on multiple occasions because it had jumped locations and didn't realize, so I had to go see if I missed something. I could never keep a clear visualization of the environments in my head at any given moment.
The main character was uninteresting and I didn't connect with him at all. He seemed empty to me and his drug use was the only character development I ever saw from him.
It is said to be genre defining etc etc, but my enjoyment of it was contained withing certain chapters (near the end) while most of it was mostly tedious. I got through it though because I wanted to see if it would get better.
Honestly I don't know if I like it. I'm left confused (not by the story) and wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm missing something.
Is it one of these books that gets better the second time you read it? Is it just harder for a new-ish reader like me and that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I though I would?
What are you guys' opinions of the book? Should I read the next two of the Sprawl Trilogy or are they more of the same?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The main character was uninteresting and I didn't connect with him at all. He seemed empty to me and his drug use was the only character development I ever saw from him.

its u

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think gibson's writing style settles down a bit in the later novels, but they're structured much the same. if you found neuomancer to be a slog, you probably won't enjoy the others much

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
it's a reddit post you rubes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how could you tell in a thread like this?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
mona lisa overdrive's writing is a lot more in check than the other two

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
"The Time Dissolver" is a cool account name

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More like Timed Dick Solver.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://gizmodo.com/seiko-is-re-issuing-the-futuristic-watch-ripley-wore-in-1742998200

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I'm a huge gibson fan, but I've been reading The Peripheral and for whatever reason it's just not clicking like most of his other stuff.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
lol, key and peele are detective partners on fargo

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Amethyst posted:

"The Time Dissolver" is a cool account name

yeah too bad about his loving posts

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Cocoa Crispies posted:

scifi discussion thread: straight outta gibson

yeah it's time

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
just started the new GITS movie cause smoka said it didnt suck and i appreciate his anime opinion.

but as a broken body, every time i watch anything involving cyborgs i just dream of the day i can get a robo-back. i would literally give everything i am and own to be able to have a body that isnt crippled

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Trig Discipline posted:

The scene of Bruce Lee practicing in his island apartment in Enter the Dragon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9MI0nslrYo

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

infernal machines posted:

how could you tell in a thread like this?

because he called the thread a "sub", which is short for subreddit.

DiggityDoink posted:

just started the new GITS movie cause smoka said it didnt suck and i appreciate his anime opinion.

I watched it in theatre a few days ago( a strange experience for a millennial). I will agree with the fact that it didn't suck, but I feel like it's about time to put GitS down and go to some new IP, or at least try something with different characters in a different part of the setting. I feel like the more detailed scifi gets, the worse it is, and the best thing about scifi is that process of exploration of a concept that isn't (yet) real. GitS is getting to the point where the characters are flanderizing and the plot has run out of places to go.

Amethyst posted:

the robots in star wars are clearly sentient

painted bird posted:

you can't deny that we automatically gender both R2D2 and C3PO as dudes though
The chief problem is of course, that these are characters, and so they are actually just a subset of literary humans, rather than being a good predictor of a theoretical real robot. Star Wars droids are an interesting case- they're treated variously as realistic robots, human characters made of metal, and "slaves".

Larry Parrish posted:

oh baby, you wanna instantiate? I think we could try some of my private methods, if you know what I mean

Oh yeah, and if you haven't read it already, read True History , a piece of ancient roman scifi. It's not terrible.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

lol, key and peele are detective partners on fargo

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
forgot to convert house of suns to mobi before leaving the house, so starting on wasp factory instead

first impression: :stare:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Heresiarch posted:

the sprawl trilogy (neuromancer etc) all hold up okay as long as you can manage the obvious reverse anachronisms (like payphones). i re-read neuromancer and count zero this year and they're both still really good, i started mona lisa overdrive and it was also still good but i had a headcrash and never went back to it

what's a headcrash?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

what's a headcrash?

brain broke

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

what's a headcrash?

this sub-forum is sad brain central, you figure it out

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Keldoclock posted:

The chief problem is of course, that these are characters, and so they are actually just a subset of literary humans, rather than being a good predictor of a theoretical real robot. Star Wars droids are an interesting case

r2 is a boy he has a metal penis he uses to do sex on big busty computer babes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Gus Hobbleton posted:

forgot to convert house of suns to mobi before leaving the house, so starting on wasp factory instead

first impression: :stare:

now there's an interesting novel!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERYyFxc0lg&hd=1

watched this last night, holy lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

DiggityDoink posted:

but as a broken body, every time i watch anything involving cyborgs i just dream of the day i can get a robo-back. i would literally give everything i am and own to be able to have a body that isnt crippled

:( what happened, if you don't mind me asking?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

why has no one told me that this exists

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dodoman posted:

the poster used to be in like every photoshop phriday, that's how i found out about it

:goonsay:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Dodoman posted:

I only found out about it last week

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Jonah Ray is the star of the new MST3K:

I don't know much about him, does anyone here? I still don't know if the show will work without the original creators.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
joel is pretty good imo

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Fortress#Influence

wikipedia posted:

Influence

George Lucas has acknowledged heavy influence of The Hidden Fortress on Star Wars,[6] particularly in the technique of telling the story from the perspective of the film's lowliest characters, C-3PO and R2-D2.[7][8] Lucas's original plot outline for Star Wars also had a strong resemblance to the plot of The Hidden Fortress,[9] which would be reused for The Phantom Menace.

isnt this why c3po and r2d2 are defintely guys?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tanith posted:

I only found out about it last week

they did a rifftrax of it fairly recently so that may be why

i only recently saw robot jox for this reason

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

:( what happened, if you don't mind me asking?

poor genetics and lovely medical care for the most part. i was getting out of a car one day, blacked out in pain and woke up in the ER. i had ruptured 4 discs in my lower back, S1 to L2. everyone on my mom's side of the family has a hosed up back and i managed to get the full level of poo poo. ive tried to look back and see if there was a specific injury that lead to it but i have no idea.

i got to wait around for almost 2 years for surgery, unable to walk, because i had no insurance at the time. when i did get the operation, they just took out the hosed up chunks of disc instead of actually replacing them so im still in pain but not nearly as much.

i cant run, jump, dance, lift anything over like 20 pounds, do the job i went to school for and sex is painful in the not fun way

this was 6 years ago if im remembering right

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

DiggityDoink posted:

poor genetics and lovely medical care for the most part. i was getting out of a car one day, blacked out in pain and woke up in the ER. i had ruptured 4 discs in my lower back, S1 to L2. everyone on my mom's side of the family has a hosed up back and i managed to get the full level of poo poo. ive tried to look back and see if there was a specific injury that lead to it but i have no idea.

i got to wait around for almost 2 years for surgery, unable to walk, because i had no insurance at the time. when i did get the operation, they just took out the hosed up chunks of disc instead of actually replacing them so im still in pain but not nearly as much.

i cant run, jump, dance, lift anything over like 20 pounds, do the job i went to school for and sex is painful in the not fun way

:(

why the gently caress didn't they repair/replace the damaged discs, i assume you went in knowing they were just going to pull it out?

• Locked thread