Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

...employ people to go around redistributing the cars.

That sounds like damned carmmunism! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Redistribution of the means of transportation.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Redistribution of the means of transportation.

Nice thread title

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's worth noting that car shares have the same problem, and employ people to go around redistributing the cars.

I've also heard of this happening with one-way car or moving van rentals, and there being cheap rates the other way. Although I'm not sure what kind of routes would have that kind of asymmetry.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

smackfu posted:

I've also heard of this happening with one-way car or moving van rentals, and there being cheap rates the other way. Although I'm not sure what kind of routes would have that kind of asymmetry.

Routes from college towns to anywhere outward from the start of fall move in season into a month or so before move out. Especially when it's a college town that's hours away from large cities, but still gets a lot of out of state students.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't block the box don't block the box don't block the box gently caress you gently caress you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqXHE0WrzZA

This usually doesn't happen but there was some construction down the road which backed up traffic and people are inattentive idiots.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Don't block the box don't block the box don't block the box gently caress you gently caress you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqXHE0WrzZA

This usually doesn't happen but there was some construction down the road which backed up traffic and people are inattentive idiots.

Drive in Puerto Rico for a week. You will learn patience or end in jail.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stuff like that really comes down to enforcement and driving culture. Where I live getting stuck in an intersection like that is stressful and shameful and if a cop sees it you will absolutely get a ticket. Blocking the box is seen as a big no-no, so even without police around if you do it, the shame and stress you feel provides a wake up call not to do it again, at least for most functional adults.

In other places there just isn't enforcement, and blocking the intersection/gridlock is just the norm, it's just part of traffic. In fact in some countries you will be honked and yelled at for not proceeding forward into an intersection you can't clear.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I get honked at and screamed at by police for not blocking the box in Boston. Cop called me retarded for it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

smackfu posted:

Deadheading is a great way to book private jets at ordinary human rates

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I live in an area that is somewhere between suburban and rural. Near me there is a state road with two lanes of traffic in each direction and and a section with a couple traffic lights every mile or two.

At night the light timers are set such that if you're stopped at a red light and then drive the speed limit you'll be stopped at the next red (even if no cars are at the cross street). However, if you speed 7+ mph when the light turns green you'll sail through all the lights. Is there a reason to set the lights like this? I figured it would be set the opposite way, to encourage going the speed limit.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welcome to hell

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's wrong? Trains all broken?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's raining and people don't want to ride their bikes.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Malcolm XML posted:

Deadheading is a great way to book private jets at ordinary human rates

How do you actually do it, though? Know pilots?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ArcMage posted:

How do you actually do it, though? Know pilots?

Companies like these have contacts with charter jet operators to set up flights with you:
http://www.ellejet.com/featured-empty-legs.php
http://www.emptylegmarket.com/
https://www.stratosjets.com/one-way-charter/

Sometimes, a charter jet operating company will directly market their empty legs themselves even. One thing you'll notice is, many of them are having you fly in or out of smaller regional/general aviation airports even though the other end is at a standard major airport - so when trying to save money using them you'll also need to factor in getting out to some weird airport that probably isn't on any convenient route.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought nintendo kid was fishmech, everyone calls him that. Now I suddenly see an actual fishmech on the forums but Nintendo Kid is still here. Are you guys separate people ? Were goons always calling NT Fishmech because they have a similar posting style or something?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Nintendo Kid is one of fishmech's alt accounts.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Welcome to dig whistle bingo, Atlanta style.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/11/19/johns-creek-council-votes-full-and-complete-opposition-to-marta-rail-expansion/

"the expansion of MARTA would increase high density housing further increasing
traffic, straining the public school system, eroding the residential character of the
surrounding areas and reducing property values; and"

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Skeesix posted:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/11/19/johns-creek-council-votes-full-and-complete-opposition-to-marta-rail-expansion/

traffic, straining the public school system, eroding the residential character of the
"Reducing property values" yeah this is not a thing that happens when building density increases in an area (especially due to improved transport links). But people are dumb.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Skeesix posted:

This has been Atlanta ever since MARTA was first worked up. Though it's nice to see they've dropped the "criminal element (aka those scary africans)" part.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Deadly Hume posted:

"Reducing property values" yeah this is not a thing that happens when building density increases in an area (especially due to improved transport links). But people are dumb.

A lot of people still think "density" of any sort beyond single family homes equals mid century style projects. Only poor people don't own detatched homed, only poor people take transit. Adding transit and any built form other than single family housing = slums.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

John Dough posted:

Welcome to hell

In my area, we call those weekdays.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people still think "density" of any sort beyond single family homes equals mid century style projects. Only poor people don't own detatched homed, only poor people take transit. Adding transit and any built form other than single family housing = slums.
Oh yeah, well I keep forgetting there's a stigma around public transport about the US. It's a little bit different in Australia that transport access links are seen as generally a good thing and an investment opportunity for developers, but property developers in Australia are almost exclusively crooks, especially when it comes to new inner city developments, like Barangaroo in Sydney and Fishermen's Bend in Melbourne. Badly planned, with high-rise apartments with bad sound insulation (OK I guess it's not so bad if you want to hear your neighbours loving) with little thought given to local services and amenities.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You'd be amazed how fast people who were still ranting about how the rail is going to being professional robbers from the city to steal their tv, also cause all the houses to collapse, a day before the rail line opens, mysteriously shut up as soon as the property values start rising. And some have the gall to pretend like they were for it all along.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Skeesix posted:

How the hell does high density development increase traffic? I mean, there's dog whistle racism, but at least make some goddamn sense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fishmech posted:

You'd be amazed how fast people who were still ranting about how the rail is going to being professional robbers from the city to steal their tv, also cause all the houses to collapse, a day before the rail line opens, mysteriously shut up as soon as the property values start rising. And some have the gall to pretend like they were for it all along.

Robbing a house while traveling on public transportations strikes me as a proposition that would have some tricky logistics on the return trip.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Ahahahah. So bad. Yep, let's steal this TV and take it on a bus, which has video recording...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

How the hell does high density development increase traffic? I mean, there's dog whistle racism, but at least make some goddamn sense.

More people in an area = more traffic. I mean that part does make sense. When it comes to overall land-use strategy in an area "density" isn't a universal good, it has to be in the right places. Walking distance to most places people go, or transit that takes them there. A skyscraper condo with 1.5 parking spots per unit out in the suburbs isn't good density, and local residents probably have good reason to be against it, citing traffic. That same condo downtown with 1 or less parking spots per unit is going to be a good thing.

But yeah, "traffic!!" is one of the biggest go-tos for NIMBY's and I've heard crazy levels of disinformation about it. A project near my place was fought brutally by the local residents on the street and they kept parroting a stat saying traffic will increase 200% because of the new building. What they did was do a rough count of number of residences on the street and compared it to the building. The street had a few houses, a nursing home (which they didn't count), a church (no residences so no traffic!), an office (once again no traffic) and a couple small apartments. The new development added a bunch of condos which about doubled the amount of people living on the street. Thus 200% increase in traffic!

The developers and the city both brought out the traffic study showing they estimated only about a 8% increase in traffic at peak times on a very wide very not-busy road. The resident's group refused to believe the 8% number saying it was against common sense. Double the units, double the traffic! They could never understand that only a small amount of the traffic on their road were people who lived on that exact block and that the church and professional building were by far the biggest traffic generators.

But yeah, NIMBY's don't understand traffic at all.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Varance posted:

Ahahahah. So bad. Yep, let's steal this TV and take it on a bus, which has video recording...

It's questionable whether anyone who says that has ever actually been on a bus.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

Companies like these have contacts with charter jet operators to set up flights with you:
http://www.ellejet.com/featured-empty-legs.php
http://www.emptylegmarket.com/
https://www.stratosjets.com/one-way-charter/

Sometimes, a charter jet operating company will directly market their empty legs themselves even. One thing you'll notice is, many of them are having you fly in or out of smaller regional/general aviation airports even though the other end is at a standard major airport - so when trying to save money using them you'll also need to factor in getting out to some weird airport that probably isn't on any convenient route.

That's great for me actually because a lot of charter traffic comes out of Burke Lakefront which is right the gently caress here for me.

If, you know, I was getting on planes to go places. If that was happening.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

I always wonder if people who say that know you can rent a uhaul for like 20 bucks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut President posted:

I always wonder if people who say that know you can rent a uhaul for like 20 bucks.

Or considering what they're scared of, that you can steal a car for free, instead of carefully planning out a robbery based on the transit schedules.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Fear of bus routes, I can understand. Adding new bus routes or increasing frequency usually means there's also a Title VI reason, which translates in their mind to "teh poors." Rail is more of a middle class mode, but people tend to lump rail with bus because it's still public transportation and anyone can use it for cheap. DRT (Flex route) is starting to become popular with the middle class, especially with Uber/Lyft on the scene (our DRT ridership is exploding). The main problem there is education; people don't know what it is, on both the public and agency levels. Driving and flying are always going to be the modes of choice for upper middle and above, no matter what you do.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 22, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This kind of argument happened when the River Line (light trail between Camden and Trenton) was planned, so it's not just bus lines.

On the other hand, I'm still not exactly sure what kind of business are being linked to workers by the light rail.

Paging Fishmech.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

In my area, we call those weekdays.

So do we. Even all those full red routes are still faster than transit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

This kind of argument happened when the River Line (light trail between Camden and Trenton) was planned, so it's not just bus lines.

On the other hand, I'm still not exactly sure what kind of business are being linked to workers by the light rail.

Paging Fishmech.

Well yeah that's what I was referring to.

It's taken a lot of load off the roads for people commuting down to Philadelphia, and in the northern half also up to New York City/North Jersey (thanks to the PATCO link in Camden and the NJTransit/Amtrak link in Trenton). And since they opened the transfer station between the River Line and the Atlantic City Line, it's taken a decent amount of shoregoers. There's also been commercial, retail, and residential redevelopment near almost all the stations, which has added jobs on the line, as well as attracted people commuting elsewhere from other places. It manages over 9000 passengers each weekday, which is pretty decent improvement over the original goal of 5500.

And separately since it opened and even though the light rail service restricts freight traffic to 10 pm to 6 am on most of the line, freight traffic is up a good deal, including some spurs to industrial parks becoming reactivated that weren't used for years. And the industrial park they built behind the Florence station has freight service to most of the major buildings. Many of these business are also accessible for commuting by rail plus a shot walk, or county circulator buses.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Cichlidae posted:

It is so stupid. The North Dallas suburb of Plano recently released a new long term plan where they are going to encourage more urban density around the light rail line. They're smart and figured out that you can't keep having expanding suburbs when there's no more land to build out on. But anyway, the standard dumb complaint of "this will cause more traffic" happened. You'll never see these same people complain about the further expansion of the farther north suburbs causing their local freeway to get jammed up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Um how could people living in a place not within view of me cause an increase in traffic for my daily life???? People living in another suburb don't effect me in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Baronjutter posted:

Um how could people living in a place not within view of me cause an increase in traffic for my daily life???? People living in another suburb don't effect me in any way.

Well that and also typically there's not much that anyone can do to prevent suburbs from being built up, since developers will just go right outside of whatever growth boundary or zoning ordinance might try to block them. No one gets to vote on it and so people just shrug their shoulders and ignore it.