Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hey guys this is probably a pretty lame request

It sure is. Tell your Gf to get a new friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

eightysixed posted:

Yea, but you have to use YouTube through Safari, because the app is no longer compatible, right? At least that's the cake for me.

Edit: posting from my new Retina Mini btw :v:

I haven't upgraded my youtube app for a while, mainly because I'm lazy. The native old YouTube iOS app I don't think works anymore, but the official YouTube app I have on here still works just fine. Glad I haven't upgraded if new versions break it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

tuyop posted:

Stuff like taxes, receipts, warranty forms, all that poo poo. Every couple of years we prune the stuff that doesn't need to be saved anymore. Registration forms for old cars, receipts for items that are years old or gone, that kind of thing.

I know what you meant :rolleyes: You'd be a Top Forum Poster in the DIY forum though.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Unacknowledged posted:

I haven't upgraded my youtube app for a while, mainly because I'm lazy. The native old YouTube iOS app I don't think works anymore, but the official YouTube app I have on here still works just fine. Glad I haven't upgraded if new versions break it.

This is exactly why I should jailbreak then :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This probably got talked about and I missed it but what is up with the embedded browsers in apps these days?

I'm on 9.1 and usually use Purify blocker (but I tried with it shut off) and the browsers in apps like Awful and Tweetbot 4 just go to a blank page, forcing me to open the link in Safari. Did I futz something up or is this a 9.1 issue hopefully fixed in 9.2? Any workarounds?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

priznat posted:

This probably got talked about and I missed it but what is up with the embedded browsers in apps these days?

I'm on 9.1 and usually use Purify blocker (but I tried with it shut off) and the browsers in apps like Awful and Tweetbot 4 just go to a blank page, forcing me to open the link in Safari. Did I futz something up or is this a 9.1 issue hopefully fixed in 9.2? Any workarounds?

I use Peace still and have had no issues with embedded browsers in either of the apps you mention.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

priznat posted:

I only get that trouble with certain websites - Forbes and the like.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:downs: I thought I had done a reset but after I did one just now pages load again in in-app browsers.. :toot::hf::downs:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

priznat posted:

:downs: I thought I had done a reset but after I did one just now pages load again in in-app browsers.. :toot::hf::downs:

How do you reset it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hadji murad posted:

How do you reset it?

Phone reset, hold down lock button til the slide to power down, slide it, press it again to start up and voila.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

priznat posted:

Phone reset, hold down lock button til the slide to power down, slide it, press it again to start up and voila.

Ah, thought you meant reset the app, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a decent app to stream a youtube playlist? A quick search yields a whole pile of results but a lot of them look pretty sketchy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of a decent app to stream a youtube playlist? A quick search yields a whole pile of results but a lot of them look pretty sketchy.
The... YouTube app?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Except the youtube app is garbage.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xzzy posted:

Except the youtube app is garbage.

The youtube music app?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Couldn't you just just use Safari? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eightysixed posted:

Couldn't you just just use Safari? :v:

That's what I've been using, and it's okay, but I was wondering if there was some kickass awesome app that I didn't know about and made playing music from youtube rad.

If I'd known I was going to get profiled for asking a simple question I wouldn't have bothered.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 20, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So RDio is shutting down, so I am one of probably 5 people to have to switch services.

Spotify would have been fine, but you cant add albums to play on Sonia (have to add songs individually). That right there is a deal breaker, as dumb as that is.

Trailing Apple Music, isn't bad so far. Waiting for that to hit Sonos to see how good it is.

Any opinions on best steaming app? I'm an album person, so I just want to go to my list of artists, browse by artist, then when I click it I see albums. And it has to work well with Sonos. That's it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was on Rdio too a while back and switched to Google Play unlimited streaming. They had a promo that made it $2 a month less than Rdio so that is what lured me away.

The only thing I miss from Rdio is the ability to pause on one device and resume on another but it's not a huge dealbreaker. A plus is being able to upload your own tunes to fill in any gaps of their library.

I tried spotify but I just didn't like the UI on the app at the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've used them all and Spotify is probably the best in terms of it not being a buggy piece of poo poo (Apple Music).

Google Play music is much easier for your locally stored files, it uploads them much more efficiently than the way spotify does but Spotify is just so much more polished.

Avoid Apple Music, it's total garbage. Saying this as someone who was really looking forward to it.

\/\/\/\/

this is also another big plus for Spotify as it natively scrobbles.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 23, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Google play music is great, it's just a real shame it doesn't scrobble.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Apple Music all the time and yeah it has its bugs and quirks but it works fine for me. And it's nice having Siri integration.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

sharktamer posted:

Google play music is great, it's just a real shame it doesn't scrobble.

There is a Chrome extension that does this.

GPAA is far and away the best of the lot. The ability to upload and stream up to 50,000 of you own tracks is amazing, especially when you have a penchant for obscure prog-rock. :rock: This does include the ability to upload songs that you have purchased on iTunes without conversion.

They are soon adding a podcast service as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

XBenedict posted:

There is a Chrome extension that does this.

Doesn't work on iOS though.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I have a question, but I'm not sure how common/stupid it might be:

I have an iCloud save for a game/app on one of my iOS devices (iPhone4S), and would like to load/transfer it onto another (iPad2). Apparently iCloud saves are device specific, though, and not universal? At least, that's the way it appears. I also have a Mini Retina, and with the same game on all three with iCloud saves, they'll only ever give me the option of loading an iCloud save that originated on that device. Is there any way I can use iCloud to transfer the save over? I have full jailbroken access on the original device, so if it needs some weird magic that way, I can manage that if needed. Maybe hex editing a device ID?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iCloud saves should be universal. If they're not, it's something the game developers are doing.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Endless Mike posted:

iCloud saves should be universal. If they're not, it's something the game developers are doing.

Thanks. I Kind of remember being able to transfer an X-Com save, so that why I was a little confused by this. I guess app designers get the option to make them non-universal to avoid "sharing" of the benefits of microtransactions?

At this point I'm just curious if anyone knows the ins and outs of this.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it's not a consumable thing look for a restore purchases option somewhere, otherwise yeah it should be syncing save progress to the same file in iCloud. I guess make sure you're signed in to the same account on everything, that's all I can think of...unless yeah, maybe the game was designed for independent play on each (or had an option for that). Contacting the devs about it might be the easiest route to see what's going on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks. I Kind of remember being able to transfer an X-Com save, so that why I was a little confused by this. I guess app designers get the option to make them non-universal to avoid "sharing" of the benefits of microtransactions?

At this point I'm just curious if anyone knows the ins and outs of this.

A lot of it depends on the game. WIth a lot of them there are ways to transfer your information to another device. SOme use a recovery code, and on others you can delve into the file system using any one of a number of utilities and manually copy the save info over to your other device. Other offer an option to link it to another account, frequently facebook.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

priznat posted:

I'm on 9.1 and usually use Purify blocker

Now that ios 9 has been out for a few months, and the dust has settled on the blockers, which one should I get?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I've got crystal, purify, and 1blocker, and have found (for me) that 1blocker is fastest and works best.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
You can use pretty much any of them. This guy did a huge comprehensive series of articles early on and found 1blocker to be the fastest, but they're honestly all pretty similar.

The one downside to 1blocker is that it's upgraded via IAP, so if you use family sharing you have to spend $3 again. I'm using BlockBear because I like the company behind it and I don't have any problems or see ads, so it seems fine to me. Really just pick one of the normal ones that pull from Easylist or whatever and use it.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Great, thanks both of you!

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I use 1Blocker. It was fine before the IAP, but I like using the tracker and social blockers, as well. I loved Peace, but didn't like the idea of it being abandoned - if another Ghostery app came out, I'd yank that fast.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Refine is another one, has the usual big lists but I basically use it for blacklisting stuff if I run into something annoying often enough. It can be used just as a blacklist in conjunction with another blocker, like with BlockBear since that only does whitelisting. I used to use 1Blocker I think for that (as the one free blocker in it) but I liked something better about entering the stuff in Refine iirc.

It also has some sharing feature so you can share your own and search for other user created block lists. Biggest annoyance I have with it is that it doesn't have an iPad view so it's just a big iPhone app on there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

maduin posted:

You can use pretty much any of them. This guy did a huge comprehensive series of articles early on and found 1blocker to be the fastest, but they're honestly all pretty similar.

The one downside to 1blocker is that it's upgraded via IAP, so if you use family sharing you have to spend $3 again. I'm using BlockBear because I like the company behind it and I don't have any problems or see ads, so it seems fine to me. Really just pick one of the normal ones that pull from Easylist or whatever and use it.

You should be able to get the app on the other device, then sign in to the App Store as yourself on that device, Restore Purchases, then sign back in as the primary user.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm using both Crystal and Purify but they're letting a lot of stuff go through their "filter", unlike proper browser ad blocks. What gives? Am I the only one?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

I'm using both Crystal and Purify but they're letting a lot of stuff go through their "filter", unlike proper browser ad blocks. What gives? Am I the only one?

Two blockers will cancel each other out, like anti-depressants.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Two blockers will cancel each other out, like anti-depressants.

No they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what the gently caress is a joke.