Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

odiv posted:

Instant

Destroy Exile target Creature or Planeswalker.

edit: Wait, that's out of flavour. Fixed.

Time to start speculating on Shivan Reefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

bhsman posted:

3 is what Mirari costs to Twincast spells, though, and you're also comparing a Mythic Rare to Uncommon in abilities. Obviously MIrrorpool isn't a card they'd want to be as common in draft pools as Foundry.

In addition, Foundry creates its creatures regardless of the board state (Mirrorpool's clone is useless if you have nothing to clone), Foundry creates two creatures rather than one, and Foundry creates creatures with evasion even if you have no evasive creatures on the board. Unsurprisingly, they're different effects and drawing a direct comparison is difficult. Mirrorpool has a better upside and worse downside, while Foundry is essentially completely static.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wurzag posted:

Seems weird that kozilek doesn't have indestructible or a similar ability.

I think the idea is that Ulamog is just incredibly tough and doesn't give a gently caress, whereas Kozilek distorts reality to protect itself (via the countering mechanic).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wurzag posted:

Seems weird that kozilek doesn't have indestructible or a similar ability.

He didn't have indestructible on his old card either, though.

And he protected himself less than this new one.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

OFS mentioned this. It's the ONLY snow card that doesn't have reminder text.
Mythic rares would probably be a good candidate for that same treatment. Although I maintain that if the symbol for colorless mana in general is being changed to ♦ (as opposed to (1), which means "any kind of mana") there is no need to put reminder text on any individual card, they'd just have to convey that rules change on a wider level.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mythic rares would probably be a good candidate for that same treatment. Although I maintain that if the symbol for colorless mana in general is being changed to ♦ (as opposed to (1), which means "any kind of mana") there is no need to put reminder text on any individual card, they'd just have to convey that rules change on a wider level.

I can see having a ♦ cost on cards to represent that it must be paid with colorless mana, but why have lands make ♦ when (1) is the same thing?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The Human Crouton posted:

I can see having a ♦ cost on cards to represent that it must be paid with colorless mana, but why have lands make ♦ when (1) is the same thing?

The thinking is that the diamond replaces {1} in those cases. If they introduce this symbol as "the colorless symbol" and say that it functions in the same way as "the red symbol" it makes sense.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Voyager I posted:

I'm going to be pissed if Wastes are real and a bunch of good Diamond cards come out that make painlands spike in value, destroying another avenue for cheap dual lands in this loving standard.

I'm not because I have 100 of each of them I'd like to move!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Presumably to emphasize that Colorless mana has its own identity now and drive home that ♦ and (1) are not universally interchangeable.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Someone posted Kozilek on Aleksi Briclot's Facebook and asked if it was his art.

Aleksi Briclot's Facebook posted:

It seems to me reality is (not) greatly distorted right now...

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
PV being completely unable to comprehend how diamond mana works on twitter, even after having it painstakingly explained over and over, is: funny.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean it's all speculation because there's not really strong evidence, hopes aside, for whether diamond mana is

1. Mana produced by any colorless-only source (makes sense wrt backwards compatibility)

2. Mana produced by diamond-specific sources (makes sense for the sake of simplicity)

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

EatinCake posted:

All the discussion about a new mana symbol has got me and a buddy talking about 'snowdrazi', and, well

Quoting this for the new page.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

2. Mana produced by diamond-specific sources (makes sense for the sake of simplicity)

This is the more likely explanation since it's infinitely less dumb

A typeless basic producing it still means its hideously fake though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The way things are now is weird, we've just played it enough that we don't realize it. If you see "add to your mana pool" it means "add colorless mana to your manapool". However, if you see in a cost it doesn't mean "colorless mana", it means "mana of any kind".

Under the hypethetical new paradigm ♦ now means "colorless mana" in the same way that means "green mana". Then can consistently mean "any kind of mana, including but not limited to colorless".

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is the more likely explanation since it's infinitely less dumb

A typeless basic producing it still means its hideously fake though.

Yeah I would also think 2 is more likely, assuming that it isn't fake.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zoness posted:

I mean it's all speculation because there's not really strong evidence, hopes aside, for whether diamond mana is

1. Mana produced by any colorless-only source (makes sense wrt backwards compatibility)

Not any colorless-only source, but actually any colorless mana at all.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

Yeah, he's unable to comprehend why 1) makes any sense, though, when it's trivially easy to understand conceptually.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The issue with them being fake is that the art is new, fits the style of the credited artists well and includes themes that have been hinted at but not directly displayed in other cards. I think the art at least has to be real.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

If this is real, I don't think Kozilek is that good. At least for Standard/Modern.

Kozilek's ability is actually pretty good in GR tron. The only removal that can typically kill him in modern are terminate or path. He draws you cards, and tron runs plenty of 1 and 2 cmc spells. Discard this chromatic sphere to counter your path. Would need playtesting of course, but it isn't outright bad by any means. It is gas, and his ability is a protection ability.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The issue with them being fake is that the art is new, fits the style of the credited artists well and includes themes that have been hinted at but not directly displayed in other cards. I think the art at least has to be real.

I recall the fable of the Falkreath Embermage. It was an obviously fake piece of poo poo due to its absurd power level, but it used Flames of Undeath's art.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Kozilek's ability is actually pretty good in GR tron. The only removal that can typically kill him in modern are terminate or path. He draws you cards, and tron runs plenty of 1 and 2 cmc spells. Discard this chromatic sphere to counter your path. Would need playtesting of course, but it isn't outright bad by any means. It is gas, and his ability is a protection ability.

I don't think it's better than exiling 2 permanents which is what it has to be better than to see play. (GR Tron is playing 1 Ulamog now...)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I recall the fable of the Falkreath Embermage. It was an obviously fake piece of poo poo due to its absurd power level, but it used Flames of Undeath's art.

That's a different case, though, Flames of Undeath's art had already been spoiled, as far as I can remember.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The interesting thing about this game mechanic is really if WOTC can manage to actually use it well, since this mechanic already exists as void will in force of will. So far FOW really hasn't done much with it.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Now you can play colorless commander decks without spending $1500 on land. Thanks Maro, you finally show us what the one true format is

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

GonSmithe posted:

Someone posted Kozilek on Aleksi Briclot's Facebook and asked if it was his art.

This seems like strong evidence for them being real

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

stinkles1112 posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation have confirmed that they are real.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Via what?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

More like it's strong evidence that it's his art, which in fact means that's probably what the new Kozilek card is going to have for art?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Inside the threads. A usual source confirmed them. They are in the spoiler also. The dropdown for OTG says 0, but if you actually click on it, the three spoiled cards will be there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This isn't the first time they've been wrong and had to quietly remove the fakes and hope no one notices!

They're fake!

*begins sinking in quicksand* They're faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

But what do the Rockers have to say?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Mods on mtgsalvation also confirmed ideas unbound as an instant and a rare.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This isn't the first time they've been wrong and had to quietly remove the fakes and hope no one notices!

They're fake!

*begins sinking in quicksand* They're faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Molybdenum posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation also confirmed ideas unbound as an instant and a rare.

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thank you.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

EatinCake posted:

All the discussion about a new mana symbol has got me and a buddy talking about 'snowdrazi', and, well

Diamondsdiamonddiamonds, whatever. Best post of the new thread.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The flavor text is especially rotten.

Confirmed real then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.

If you're so confident about it then put the :10bux: on it ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The way things are now is weird, we've just played it enough that we don't realize it. If you see "add to your mana pool" it means "add colorless mana to your manapool". However, if you see in a cost it doesn't mean "colorless mana", it means "mana of any kind".

This sounds like a distinction that could not possibly bother anyone except Maro, so they're probably real and you're probably right.

• Locked thread