Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SpaceDrake posted:

Now this, right here, I love:

A Study In Psychology Vis-a-vis Color Usage: Political Maps Edition.

Unrelated, here's a map of governors' mansions control:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

sinking belle posted:

Volume of JPEG Artifacting By Ideological Position

That's how it was posted, sadly.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Unrelated, here's a map of governors' mansions control:

why_democrats_are_fucked.png

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I actually like our governor (MI).

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Weird double post.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Eskaton posted:

I got real salty when he signed off on the right-to-work legislation after explicitly and repeatedly denying having any interest in doing so, and now I'm doubly-salty because I'm rather proud of our state's Arab-American community and this closure he announced just kind of shits all over that. This was a prime opportunity for us to show off how we work with new immigrant communities and with the decently large Arab community in our fine state, and but no, Lansing just had to let our a big wet fart instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Torrannor posted:

Also, as far as I understand, immigration is a wholly federal issue and no state legislature or governor can prevent the Feds from relocating refugees to their state.

This is 100% correct.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

I got real salty when he signed off on the right-to-work legislation after explicitly and repeatedly denying having any interest in doing so, and now I'm doubly-salty because I'm rather proud of our state's Arab-American community and this closure he announced just kind of shits all over that. This was a prime opportunity for us to show off how we work with new immigrant communities and with the decently large Arab community in our fine state, and but no, Lansing just had to let our a big wet fart instead.

I don't really have any opinion on RtW, but iirc he did push for immigrants before what happened in Paris despite it not being very popular (There was dumb stuff about it that showed up on snopes). I can't imagine it being politically sound to support it afterwards.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Pakled posted:

As I understand, governors can de facto close their state to refugees by ordering state agencies, which the federal government relies on to place refugees, to not cooperate with federal agencies on the matter. This may or may not be legal, but some governors are threatening to do it anyway.

If sanctuary cities are a-OK, I don't see how this would be any different.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Craptacular posted:

If sanctuary cities are a-OK, I don't see how this would be any different.

Unequal enforcement is generally more legally palatable than unequal provision of basic services. It might be a line of argument some states might go with though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SpaceDrake posted:

Now this, right here, I love:

Isn't this basically a map of the 'the good states to live in, plus Minnesota I guess?'? Like when the premier of Saskatchewan started yelling about not wanting to accept refugees, the Beaverton (Canada's imitation of the Onion) immediately ran with "Syrian refugees relieved they won't end up in Saskatchewan".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Isn't this basically a map of the 'the good states to live in, plus Minnesota I guess?'? Like when the premier of Saskatchewan started yelling about not wanting to accept refugees, the Beaverton (Canada's imitation of the Onion) immediately ran with "Syrian refugees relieved they won't end up in Saskatchewan".

Yes, with some edge cases (Seriously Massachusetts, what the hell).

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Isn't this basically a map of the 'the good states to live in, plus Minnesota I guess?'?

Pennsylvania? California?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kavak posted:

Yes, with some edge cases (Seriously Massachusetts, what the hell).

Their governor is a Republican.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Their governor is a Republican.

Same with Maryland.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Eskaton posted:

In don't mean this question as an insult I'm genuinely honestly curious.

why? Even my conservative friends hate the man

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 18, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Freudian posted:

I'm surprised there's none in the Persian Gulf, I figured that always had at least one.

Yeah, I was confused as to how they were conducting air strikes against ISIS otherwise - but then I guess there are still American air bases in Poland and Djibouti or wherever?

edit - looked for a map for this but they all seem out of date, going back to the height of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

freebooter posted:

Yeah, I was confused as to how they were conducting air strikes against ISIS otherwise - but then I guess there are still American air bases in Poland and Djibouti or wherever?

NATO bases are enough, and Turkey opened their Incirlik air base near the Syrian border for US planes last month or so.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

freebooter posted:

edit - looked for a map for this but they all seem out of date, going back to the height of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
There are a lot of US and French planes based at Al Dhafra in Abu Dhabi. There are also US bases in Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain. I know that several NATO air forces are using Jordanian bases for the ISIS campaign.

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 18, 2015

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

How did they even do that? Did they install New Hampshire upside down?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kavak posted:

How did they even do that? Did they install New Hampshire upside down?
After looking at it for a bit, it looks like Connecticut and everything northeast of it (Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine) was detached, and then the western border of Connecticut was attached to northeastern Vermont.

How and why the gently caress this happened is still a mystery.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd love a link to someone using this map to make a serious point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I heard a depressing little bit on NPR yesterday about how, among Republicans, it's now just established fact that there are terrorists among Syrian refugees. It's not a maybe, it's not up for debate, it's just been decided to be 100% true. This bummed me out a lot.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

I'd love a link to someone using this map to make a serious point.

It was on Ben Carson's twitter/facebook this morning according to Talking Points Memo. The ones I see are correct but they could've pulled them and fixed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cheerfullydrab posted:

I heard a depressing little bit on NPR yesterday about how, among Republicans, it's now just established fact that there are terrorists among Syrian refugees. It's not a maybe, it's not up for debate, it's just been decided to be 100% true. This bummed me out a lot.

I read a comment somewhere (not from the US) that its "proven" that 5% of the refugees are terrorists.

This was accompanied by the usual atrocious grammar, which honestly bugs me more than the statement itself.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A map made by a Japanese student during the Russo-Japanese War.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pakled posted:

I am the "cremia" peninsula.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does that kind of map have a name? I always find them amusing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pakled posted:

As the tentacles slowly wrap around Turkey, Japan blows a load.

i'm the pope doll

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pakled posted:

Good ol Formosa. Also, what's up with Arabia?

ed: Port Arther

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Pakled posted:

i'm the independent tibet

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Being grabbed by Russtopus while clinging to China for safety. Politically loaded indeed.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm the Japanese guy staring at the tentacle in Manturia. Looks like he's getting some ideas.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Nobody foresaw the shift in use for tentacles in Japanese society at the time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Except the guy who painted The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Nobody foresaw the shift in use for tentacles in Japanese society at the time.

Except the fisherman's wife.

e: ^^^^ gently caress you! :argh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

I'm the clown Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Guavanaut posted:

Except the guy who painted The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife.

Well he arguably started the whole thing, so...