Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Sioux posted:

What's all this Nexus 9 hatred? I'm in the market for my first tablet and I was looking at that one too. I just want a nice tablet to internet browse with and use (Play Store) apps. 9+ inch in diameter. My wife has a Nexus smartphone which is really good, isn't the tablet ok? What about the Samsung tablets? Budget is ~300-400 euro's.

I got a Nexus 9 a few months back for similar reasons in one of the HTC 40% off sales and it's been great so far. Didn't seem to exhibit any of build quality issues people suffered early on, and with 5.1 it seemed to do just fine performance wise. Even better since Marshmallow, plus with the doze improvements I can now leave for a week in standby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Red Warrior posted:

I got a Nexus 9 a few months back for similar reasons in one of the HTC 40% off sales and it's been great so far. Didn't seem to exhibit any of build quality issues people suffered early on, and with 5.1 it seemed to do just fine performance wise. Even better since Marshmallow, plus with the doze improvements I can now leave for a week in standby.

I had seven N9s. Each one arrived with the case halves not snapped together all the way, the screen had so much bleed on it, the outer 2mm of the screen was like a solid white line around maybe 35% of the device, one was completely outlined in a while line, they all got absolutely burning how when in use, and the volume keys were so recessed in they were useless and barely worked.

I got two from Best Buy, and then got several from Amazon just as a crap shoot to see if I could get one that worked ok. For a while, I just opened them up, turned them on, saw it was junk and did a return immediately. After I gave up on them I kept ordering them to see if I could get one that wasn't falling apart, and I did not.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do manufacturers ever update the tiny wonky bits after the first few months of production if it turns out their product is a pos?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Probably depends on if it's a bastard child low volume device that spent most of its life running beta software that got canned in every review.

Also probably depends if it's an OEM that's circling the drain.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sioux posted:

What's all this Nexus 9 hatred? I'm in the market for my first tablet and I was looking at that one too. I just want a nice tablet to internet browse with and use (Play Store) apps. 9+ inch in diameter. My wife has a Nexus smartphone which is really good, isn't the tablet ok? What about the Samsung tablets? Budget is ~300-400 euro's.

It's both a great and frustrating device. I love mine 80 % of the time and hate it 20 % of it. The form factor is great, I can easily hold it in one hand and still have more screen than all the 8" devices. It's light and still sturdy. Battery life (since 6.0) is really great. The screen is really good. The sound is great. It's very fast most of the time.

But at times it is also extremely slow, and takes 2-3 seconds to execute some task, while being again blazingly fast a minute later. The odd CPU implementation is to fault here I assume. It regularly has memory issues (but so has my Nexus 10 - 2 GB don't seem to be sufficient any more for Android). It has light bleed. Only annoying when you have a black screen, but still annoying. The buttons are too flush and the power button should have a different texture like the Nexus 6, because this way you press the power instead of the volume buttons far too often.

A Nexus 9 for the 300 dollar you find them here and there? Yeah, would buy that again. For the 500 dollar I paid? No, you can get better ones for that, you just have to accept that you won't easily get future Android versions for it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Nvidia was finally able to get some stock out for Shield Tablets. They're re-releasing the tablet to the general public again and at a lower price point. However, they're not re-releasing the 32GB tablet.

The 16GB is available on their website for $199. http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1

Two caveats though
No included charger
No stylus holder anymore(No stylus included either)

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 17, 2015

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

SlayVus posted:

Looks like Nvidia was finally able to get some stock out for Shield Tablets. They're re-releasing the tablet to the general public again and at a lower price point. However, they're not re-releasing the 32GB tablet.

The 16GB is available on their website for $199. http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1

Two caveats though
No included charger

Also no cables at all. Ehh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

minusX posted:

Also no cables at all. Ehh.

At this point, I have so many USB cables and chargers I don't even take them out of the box when I buy a new phone, so when I sell it in a month I don't have to look for it.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I bought an Asus MeMo Pad 7 (me176cx model) and it works fine except that it doesn't want to check for updates and the last one that it did was on the 22nd of September. I don't really want to root my tablet, so is there any way I can fix this problem without doing so?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

SlayVus posted:

Two caveats though
No included charger

So it's the same thing under the hood but minus a bunch of accessories?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

HnK416 posted:

I bought an Asus MeMo Pad 7 (me176cx model) and it works fine except that it doesn't want to check for updates and the last one that it did was on the 22nd of September. I don't really want to root my tablet, so is there any way I can fix this problem without doing so?

Updates for the tablet itself, or updates for apps in Google Play?

The first wouldn't be unusual, updates especially for third party hardware tend to be few and far between.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JayKay posted:

So it's the same thing under the hood but minus a bunch of accessories?
Yes, it's the same internals in a slightly different shell that lacks a slot for the stylus.

And it's minus everything. The box contains the tablet, and a small pamphlet with the phone number for support. There is no charger, no cable, no stylus, no earbuds, nothing.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Rastor posted:

Yes, it's the same internals in a slightly different case that lacks a slot for the stylus.

And it's minus everything. The box contains the tablet, and a small pamphlet with the phone number for support. There is no charger, no cable, no stylus, no earbuds, nothing.

As long as it doesnt catch on fire :v: I wonder if it's at least the same dimensions for case purposes. From that Ars article, it seems it's the same size

Edit: Lack of stylus and other accessories isn't a huge deal for me. I might pick this up to replace my LG Gpad and supplement my Shield Portable.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 18, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

For £150 I'd say it's a steal and the easiest Android tablet to recommend to anyone.

That said 32gb would be better for a gaming device, I don't know what they were thinking there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They were thinking marshmallow has adoptable storage and it has an SD card slot.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

HnK416 posted:

I have one of those. It only gives you one chance to update it automatically. You'll need to download the update from asus, put it in the root of tablet and run the update again.

But if it's on Kitkat then you might want to stick with that. The first Lollipop release was slow as poo poo, and the next one made it run better but the battery life is terrible now.

Oben fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 18, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They were thinking marshmallow has adoptable storage and it has an SD card slot.

I didn't know that about Marshmallow, but support for removable storage by google has been so whimsical I wouldn't even consider relying on it for several more generations of Android. By contrast Apple are so certain they have gone up to 128gb.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Daimo posted:

I didn't know that about Marshmallow, but support for removable storage by google has been so whimsical I wouldn't even consider relying on it for several more generations of Android. By contrast Apple are so certain they have gone up to 128gb.

Google has historically hated on removable storage, because of needing to support FAT32/exFAT and the various security and privacy problems that go along with it.

With Marshmallow they added adopting, which throws out FAT compatibility and makes the storage just more storage. It took them too long to get around to just doing that, but they are unlikely to drop that feature now that it's in there.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Apple's entire schtick is you have no control over where your files are. It wouldn't mesh with Android users, and we've seen usage patterns that show people expect a lot more control over and transparent usage of their android devices.

Make it easy for mom/dad/idiots to lose every photo or memory on their hand computer coz "uh choices?", or stop the practice personally and go back to the drawing board till you engineer a better solution.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Google has historically hated on removable storage, because of needing to support FAT32/exFAT and the various security and privacy problems that go along with it.

With Marshmallow they added adopting, which throws out FAT compatibility and makes the storage just more storage. It took them too long to get around to just doing that, but they are unlikely to drop that feature now that it's in there.

I never understood why they didn't just make external SD cards "just another storage device". Like, I understand that somethings need to go on main storage device. But why not just implement JBOD type storage for Android. Granted it makes the SD card more vital to operation of the device itself.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

SlayVus posted:

I never understood why they didn't just make external SD cards "just another storage device". Like, I understand that somethings need to go on main storage device. But why not just implement JBOD type storage for Android. Granted it makes the SD card more vital to operation of the device itself.

Because they fail, or people remove them. If people remove it and VITAL SYSTEM FILE was on it then you can't boot. At least it's better than the PS Vita where if you have external storage (which cost way too much) it turns off any internal storage. Why? Iunno.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SlayVus posted:

This is, roughly, what adoptable storage is, available starting with Marshmallow.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding / lack of understanding of adoptable storage, here's a little writeup Android Central did:
Inside Marshmallow: Adoptable storage

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

minusX posted:

Because they fail, or people remove them. If people remove it and VITAL SYSTEM FILE was on it then you can't boot. At least it's better than the PS Vita where if you have external storage (which cost way too much) it turns off any internal storage. Why? Iunno.

Yeah but the Vita internal storage is just 1 GB, so it's not like it's useful. loving cheap rear end sony.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

SlayVus posted:

Two caveats though
No included charger

You know what, when they asked for the fire hazard tablets back they only wanted the tablets. No charger or stylus, just the tablets.

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Budgie posted:

You know what, when they asked for the fire hazard tablets back they only wanted the tablets. No charger or stylus, just the tablets.

The battery won't explode if you can't use it!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Budgie posted:

My replacement was full retail packaging, too. 2 stylus, 2 bricks, 2 cables now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Budgie posted:

You say it jokingly, but I'm now honestly wondering if they are scavenging the mainboards and displays and just putting them in a new casing with new battery sending them back out.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

You say it jokingly, but I'm now honestly wondering if they are scavenging the mainboards and displays and just putting them in a new casing with new battery sending them back out.

That's actually more expensive than making the stuff brand new. Considering that all the parts are assembled on China/Taiwan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Guillermus posted:

That's actually more expensive than making the stuff brand new. Considering that all the parts are assembled on China/Taiwan.

Well, that's probably where they are being sent anyways to be 'recycled.'

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I'm pretty sure legally you can't sell anything with used parts as new. You would have to sell it as a refurb.

There's also two things I read that may be wrong information: that they have to legally destroy anything part of a recall, and that the revision with the non explodey battery has physically different power management circuitry.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Heads up you can get a Samsung tab s 10.5 16gb for £225 as part of Samsung black Friday sale using code "SAMSUNG10".

Easy Xmas present for mother.

All sold out, probably to eBay assholes.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 23, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The entry level Kindle Fire is now on sale at its Black Friday price: http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-Wi-Fi-GB-Special/dp/B00TSUGXKE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448508224&sr=8-1&keywords=Kindle+Fire

$34.99 (before tax)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab s2 yesterday, and it seemed to work fine; however this morning the wifi won't turn on at all. Very strange, tried factory reset, still nothing. Android 5.1.1 if that matters. Any suggestions or ideas? Google turned up a lot of nothing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Going to order this for a family member, looking forward to an exciting new circle of tech support hell!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Light Gun Man posted:

Going to order this for a family member, looking forward to an exciting new circle of tech support hell!

"This is how you use the built-in Amazon tech support. Don't call me anymore, Grandma."

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 28, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GregNorc posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask, but does anyone know if those cheapo $50 kindle fires Amazon recently released are rootable?

Dunno, but they're $35 today.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

GregNorc posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask, but does anyone know if those cheapo $50 kindle fires Amazon recently released are rootable?

Yes. $35 is a steal for a tinker machine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-cm-12-1-2015-11-15-t3249416

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwguHoxTvo

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 27, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you have a Chase Freedom card, you also get 10% cash back at Amazon now through the end of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never owned an android device but poo poo $35 - 10% is cheap enough to not care too much to play with. I heard it's awfully slow though. Can anyone give me a point of reference I'd understand, iPhone 4 type of slow?