Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

I realize that you've beaten him by now, but by the point you're at, it's actually possible to manage to get Zodiac just with high end quartz. My final Kloe setup has (... spoilers? Maybe?) Sapphire Gem, Water Gem, Ingenuity (why would you not want Ingenuity), Yin-Yang, Topaz Gem, Wood Gem, and Gold Gem. The only thing she's really missing at that point is the high level attack time magic.

Hm, I thought I tried that combo and it didn't work but I must have just missed it. Thanks for the info though. I'm taking a slight breather before the very end and I'll try that setup for the final final stuff.

EDIT:on that's what it was, I didn't want to lose cast 2

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh man, New Game Plus is hilarious. Your grade 3/tier 5 quartz are usable right off the bat.

Granted I imagine I'm going to need that extra edge for Nightmare. Can't wait. I think.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Zodiac is also pretty easy to get on Olivier fwiw, since you can put the silver gem in his one locked slot and just slot in what you need from there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh man, New Game Plus is hilarious. Your grade 3/tier 5 quartz are usable right off the bat.

Granted I imagine I'm going to need that extra edge for Nightmare. Can't wait. I think.

Wait, what? I just tried that; I only got the option to upgrade to level 2 slots and I couldn't jam the Gems into them. What did I do wrong?

Edit: Oh, hold on. Did you carry over your Status, with levels and stuff? That could explain it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, what? I just tried that; I only got the option to upgrade to level 2 slots and I couldn't jam the Gems into them. What did I do wrong?

Edit: Oh, hold on. Did you carry over your Status, with levels and stuff? That could explain it.

Yeah, I carried everything over. The slots show as level 2 but I can jam Gems in no problem. They also show as level 2 in the Quartz list, which is funny.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Levantine posted:

Hm, I thought I tried that combo and it didn't work but I must have just missed it. Thanks for the info though. I'm taking a slight breather before the very end and I'll try that setup for the final final stuff.

EDIT:on that's what it was, I didn't want to lose cast 2

I managed to squeeze out Zodiac on Kevin while still retaining Action/Cast. Onyx Gem, Attack 4, Wood Gem, Gold Gem, Defense 4, Mind 4, with Cast 2 in the other line gets it. It also happens to pick up Lost Mobius, which is probably the best AOE attack spell if you can get past its 100 base cost. Despite it saying Area (M), it has a larger area than White Gehenna by default (though not quite Aero Storm level), and I think it also has better damage. What it does also do is pull all the enemies to the center of the AOE, letting you hit them with smaller area things.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I carried everything over. The slots show as level 2 but I can jam Gems in no problem. They also show as level 2 in the Quartz list, which is funny.

Is there a way to get final boss rush equipment/quartz to carry over? It looks like the game only carries over what's in your inventory, which is awkward.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Is there a way to get final boss rush equipment/quartz to carry over? It looks like the game only carries over what's in your inventory, which is awkward.

I imagine you could unequip Joshua and Estelle in the "escape" sequence and carry that over, but that's about it, I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cyouni posted:

I managed to squeeze out Zodiac on Kevin while still retaining Action/Cast. Onyx Gem, Attack 4, Wood Gem, Gold Gem, Defense 4, Mind 4, with Cast 2 in the other line gets it. It also happens to pick up Lost Mobius, which is probably the best AOE attack spell if you can get past its 100 base cost. Despite it saying Area (M), it has a larger area than White Gehenna by default (though not quite Aero Storm level), and I think it also has better damage. What it does also do is pull all the enemies to the center of the AOE, letting you hit them with smaller area things.

I'll try another character when I do New Game + down the road. Kloe's S-Craft was useless thanks to the final boss being able to suck out all my CP on a whim and the boss was so goddamned fast that even with Clock up EX she barely had time to heal. It'll be interesting to try one of the other casters next time through. Fun fight though.

What a game! So post-ending question: Does Ouroboros get dealt with in The Third or are they recurring throughout the entire series?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the entire series. The Grandmaster has literally yet to appear in any game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

I'll try another character when I do New Game + down the road. Kloe's S-Craft was useless thanks to the final boss being able to suck out all my CP on a whim and the boss was so goddamned fast that even with Clock up EX she barely had time to heal. It'll be interesting to try one of the other casters next time through. Fun fight though.

What a game! So post-ending question: Does Ouroboros get dealt with in The Third or are they recurring throughout the entire series?

Oh no. They are very throughout the series. They're pretty much the biggest commonality.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Oh no. They are very throughout the series. They're pretty much the biggest commonality.

I was really really hoping this was the case.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Great, I hoped that was the answer. Dovetailing that, Do characters like Olivier and Mueller appear in Cold Steel? Are events from the Liberl games referenced later? It seems like something the writers wouldn't miss doing given how big they are on worldbuilding

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Great, I hoped that was the answer. Dovetailing that, Do characters like Olivier and Mueller appear in Cold Steel? Are events from the Liberl games referenced later? It seems like something the writers wouldn't miss doing given how big they are on worldbuilding

Not only is Olivier in the game, and fairly important, but we also get the rest of his family. Including his sister, who I understand is essentially a female version of him.

And while there are references, obviously, Erebonians don't generally tend to talk about Liberl in general. Since, yknow, their last real contact was the war where they got wrecked by Cassius.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Olivier is somewhat important in Cold Steel, Estelle and Joshua are party members in Zero, so there's lots of carry over. Some obscure ones too like Kilika making her way to Crossbell for those games

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Levantine posted:

As far as I know, Olivier is in every Trails game so far.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

As far as I know, Olivier is in every Trails game so far.

I don't think he actually shows up in Zero, but he's in Ao, yeah.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

Olivier is somewhat important in Cold Steel, Estelle and Joshua are party members in Zero, so there's lots of carry over. Some obscure ones too like Kilika making her way to Crossbell for those games

I'm kinda assuming Kilika will get a lot less obscure really fast. I think Kondo said the next arc was going to be Calvard.

... why did I double post for this. Argh. Whatever.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

Ah poo poo, we're not getting Zero are we?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Short of me winning the lottery, no

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Ah poo poo, we're not getting Zero are we?

We don't know yet. Though Zero is no problem whatsoever, having an official PC version (XSEED isn't doing PSP ever again, and the PS3/Vita remake versions are pretty much untouchable), Ao is presenting some problems.

The reason we're getting Sen first is because Falcom wanted it out first, since Sen is only on "dying systems", whereas Zero and Ao are on PC. It's still entirely possible that we aren't going to get it anyway, but they did have good reason for Sen being first.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

We don't know yet. Though Zero is no problem whatsoever, having an official PC version (XSEED isn't doing PSP ever again, and the PS3/Vita remake versions are pretty much untouchable), Ao is presenting some problems.

The reason we're getting Sen first is because Falcom wanted it out first, since Sen is only on "dying systems", whereas Zero and Ao are on PC. It's still entirely possible that we aren't going to get it anyway, but they did have good reason for Sen being first.

I'll wait forever. This poo poo has stolen my heart.

Cake Attack posted:

Short of me winning the lottery, no

I'd also spend my lottery winnings on getting it all translated.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Well poo poo now I REALLY want to play Zero.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

TitS 3rd is probably a lot more likely than Zero right now, for a number of reasons but notably because it has considerably less text to translate than FC or SC due to its structure.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Actually Zero is problems since Falcom isn't the only license holder for its PC version--it has a chinese license holder since it was for china/korea rather than japan. Japan only later got a localization of that.

The short of it is that we're not going to be able to get the Zero or Ao PC versions unless XSEED is able to get the chinese holder to play ball--they'd have to port the PSP version themselves again.

There's been an ongoing psp fan translation of Zero though, with plans to do Ao after. On the translation side of things it sounds like they're aiming for 50% completion by christmas and hopefully 100% sometime over the summer and TC finished by the christmas after but you never know with that stuff--zero has around 4x the text of SC. On the hacking side of things everything has been moving at a decent pace because the guys working on it are very open and willing to share tools/problem solve together with the community.

edit: Yeah, 3rd is more likely from XSEED depending on what staff they have available in terms of working on 3rd alongside all of the Cold Steel titles. Really depends on a lot of factors, in terms of how many people bought FC and SC and will buy Cold Steel with a Vita, and possibly what the PC prospects are.

Decus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 18, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Decus posted:

zero has around 4x the text of SC.

:catstare:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Decus posted:

zero has around 4x the text of SC.

This one doesn't sound right. Tom said on the XSEED forums a few months back that they checked the character totals for Zero and Ao, and each had significantly less text than SC. Specifically around the 2 million mark, compared to SC's 3.2 million.

(Third is around 1 million, by the way. Shortest game in the series, thanks to a comparative lack of NPC text)

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 18, 2015

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Decus posted:

Actually Zero is problems since Falcom isn't the only license holder for its PC version--it has a chinese license holder since it was for china/korea rather than japan. Japan only later got a localization of that.

The short of it is that we're not going to be able to get the Zero or Ao PC versions unless XSEED is able to get the chinese holder to play ball--they'd have to port the PSP version themselves again.

There's been an ongoing psp fan translation of Zero though, with plans to do Ao after. On the translation side of things it sounds like they're aiming for 50% completion by christmas and hopefully 100% sometime over the summer and TC finished by the christmas after but you never know with that stuff--zero has around 4x the text of SC. On the hacking side of things everything has been moving at a decent pace because the guys working on it are very open and willing to share tools/problem solve together with the community.

edit: Yeah, 3rd is more likely from XSEED depending on what staff they have available in terms of working on 3rd alongside all of the Cold Steel titles. Really depends on a lot of factors, in terms of how many people bought FC and SC and will buy Cold Steel with a Vita, and possibly what the PC prospects are.

From what I've heard, Falcom can just license the Japanese PC version of Zero to XSeed without having to go through Joyoland. That's what Tom always implied. The main issue is the fact that Ao hasn't been backported into Japanese yet and the crazy amount of text both games have.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I have faith we will eventually be able to play all the games in English. It may take one or several decades, but it will happen at this rate.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zaggitz posted:

I have faith we will eventually be able to play all the games in English. It may take one or several decades, but it will happen at this rate.

They did a really good job making interested in the whole "what's happening over there" aspect thanks to the world building. So they've tackled Liberl, Crossbell and Erebonia so far?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

I don't know about a decade. The CS trilogy (... assuming it ends with 3, anyway) has it's own team, so that leaves Third, Zero, and Ao. They'd have to take over 3 years each to take that long.

... yes, SC took even longer, but that wasn't on purpose, and they probably won't have that kind of clusterfuck again!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supremezero posted:

I don't know about a decade. The CS trilogy (... assuming it ends with 3, anyway) has it's own team, so that leaves Third, Zero, and Ao. They'd have to take over 3 years each to take that long.

... yes, SC took even longer, but that wasn't on purpose, and they probably won't have that kind of clusterfuck again!

Oh I know, I'm just setting myself up with worst case scenario expectations at the jump, nowhere to go but up from there!

Realistically though, we are looking at a timetable where in a two years span we are getting 3 of these goddamn games, and as you mention the Sen games have their own team who are done with 1 and mostly through 2. Doing 3rd is a no-brainer and given the nature of that game shouldn't take very long.

How they handle Zero and Ao will be the bigger question, but I'm not worried. Every other earnings report from Falcolm mentions how much loving bank they are making thanks to all the steam ports xseed have been handling. Them doing the work to get Ao to PC in Japan so xseed can then license it is both a show of good faith to the japanese pc audience and a good financial move.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Supremezero posted:

Hell, even if Carpe Fulgur helps with future games (which is, admittedly, no sure thing) it'll never be that big a cluster again.

Decus posted:

--zero has around 4x the text of SC.

Patently untrue, so far as I know - a game that large would be impossible to develop in a reasonable timeframe in any language. Both Zero and Ao are ~2 million JP characters, I believe, to FC's 1.5 and SC's stupidly huge 3+. Zero and Ao together are bigger than SC, which is... Something, but as individual projects they aren't as big.

Levantine posted:

They did a really good job making interested in the whole "what's happening over there" aspect thanks to the world building. So they've tackled Liberl, Crossbell and Erebonia so far?

Yes. Mr. Kondo, President of Falcom, has indicated there'll be one more Erebonia game, followed by a Calvard-based series which may close out the story.

Levantine posted:

Cold Steel more or less directly follows up on Olivier's actions at the end of act 8 of SC. And yes, events do get discussed, though not so much in Cold Steel 1 - it's just some nonsense happening in a foreign country to our living-in-the-Imperial-Heartland Erebonian student crew. At first, anyway... dun dun dun!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
You're making me want to play them all right now SpaceDrake :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

huh whoops I've been repeating for ages that both zero and ao are bigger than SC. If they're actually only slightly longer than FC each I am slightly more optimistic

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Good, good... Let the hype flow through you...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Levantine posted:

He's a very good dealer. :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yes, it's Kotaku, but: http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-best-jrpg-of-the-decade-so-far-1743320035

Please everyone, everywhere buy Trails in the Sky and make it extra popular, kthx

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

huh whoops I've been repeating for ages that both zero and ao are bigger than SC. If they're actually only slightly longer than FC each I am slightly more optimistic

I think it's a difference between going by extracted lines and total characters. By extracted line count they might individually be more? Since I'm almost positive I read that in a fan translation topic--and you probably got the idea from somewhere similar--but going by characters is definitely the more accurate picture so it's good to know that they are in fact shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Decus posted:

I think it's a difference between going by extracted lines and total characters. By extracted line count they might individually be more? Since I'm almost positive I read that in a fan translation topic--and you probably got the idea from somewhere similar--but going by characters is definitely the more accurate picture so it's good to know that they are in fact shorter.

I can't see any way that you could finagle extracted lines to get it 6 times longer than it is in comparison to SC via characters... I mean, I can definitely see there'd be differences, but that's just way too much of a leap.