Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Generally I'm uneasy with the idea of members of the public open carrying assault weapons and wearing paramilitary costumes in urban areas.
If the threat is legitimately that great, call the armed forces and admit that it's come to that, don't sneak in domestic ops through a semantic back door.

The police are supposed to work within the community and execute warrants by a judge or magistrate as members of the public, the army are supposed to occupy and secure areas and neutralize threats, and a blurring of the lines between the two has generally set a dangerous precedent elsewhere, with the police being regarded more as occupiers than folks you can talk to.
Whether that's more or less dangerous a precedent than domestic troop operations is debatable, but it does at least maintain the separation and avoids the warrior cop mindset.

Then again police-as-public has generally been far more blurred in parts of the UK outside the British mainland :cryingmrtayto: but I'm not sure that's the best path for the mainland to follow.

Without knowing all the laws about using military as police in the UK, that sounds like a terrible idea. It would require special military units on alert at all times trained in domestic law with special ROE who know the area well via regular patrols without so much combat gear who know and talk to local law enforcement and-- waitaminute I just described police with body armor and rifles who respond to special situations.

Militarization of the police is a problem but the answer isn't to literally turn the police into military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Allegation referred to is a rape allegation.

american_media.gif

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 18, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*whispers no*

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PYF > Post Yourself is thataways --->

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

mlmp08 posted:

Without knowing all the laws about using military as police in the UK, that sounds like a terrible idea. It would require special military units on alert at all times trained in domestic law with special ROE who know the area well via regular patrols without so much combat gear who know and talk to local law enforcement and-- waitaminute I just described police with body armor and rifles who respond to special situations.

Militarization of the police is a problem but the answer isn't to literally turn the police into military.

I don't know, I think it depends a lot on your governmental stucture. A pretty strict separation of concerns between patrol/enforcement/investigation and aggressive intervention seems pretty reasonable. We only really creeped back in the US as a result of increasingly violent 'domestic' crime.

I mean, this seems fairly relevant:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/18/13-syrian-refugees-wed-take-immediately-photos/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mlmp08 posted:

There's precedent in deploying troops in NI, which went over about as well as you'd expect, but I really don't think giving the RUC bigger guns and having them mall-ninja all over the place would have gone over any better. Probably even worse.

On the mainland there's long precedent of troops being used for disaster relief and for emergency services when firefighters are on strike, usually ones from the local area. Not in 'active' roles though.

The problem with SWAT is a tendency towards mission creep. I understand the aversion to putting yourself in harm's way, but they were supposed to be for high stakes hostage crises and active shooters, then someone says "I have to serve this warrant for minor drug possession but he has a prior for punching someone, I don't want to get punched. Wait, let's send SWAT" and the next thing you know there's a baby on fire and an old woman in bed shot dead at the wrong address.

That kind of thing then filters down to the rest of the public, and is a big part of the 'police as occupiers' instead of 'police as public' mindset. That and bullshit crimes, but that's not really their fault.

I think they'd at least think twice if their option was 'call the army' instead of 'call base and get tactical', although like you say that could just lead to an over-reliance on military assistance that would be even worse.

In the case of the stadium, where it was a case of a chance of significant violence from organized terrorists (or putting on a security show for the foreigners), that really doesn't seem like a peace officer thing though. Maybe they could have put on a couple of the redcoats with the big hats on the door instead, they have SA80s now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've been using dumb hyper-patriotic FB meme images to motherfuck chickenhawk conservatives all day and it's been just the best!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've been using dumb hyper-patriotic FB meme images to motherfuck chickenhawk conservatives all day and it's been just the best!

Thank you for this.

Venn diagram of "Gamers" and "Nazis" would be interesting to see.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Have a Vine of Jeb!?!! being awkward/petting someone's shoe

https://vine.co/v/eYKBzEthXjq

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Here's one more for you to post:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
meanwhile, in Lebanon...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How else do you get more virgins?

Or is :thejoke: and the only way we'll ever get world peace is if we stop loving for a few decades?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JFairfax posted:

meanwhile, in Lebanon...

Thats FEMEN in Paris in 2013, not Lebanon. And thats not the IS flag (you didn't say that, but a lot of places online who have been reposting that image with wrong info have)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was lied to

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

More of these, please. I'm about as "conservative" as the come, but I can't truck with this whole "Screw'em" attitude about people trying to have some safety and stability for their families.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Avatarized for someone's convenience. I dunno I only used ezgif so the dollar signs aren't that distinctive.
Well at least someone's trying to counteract the bullshit on imgur however infantile they may be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Well at least someone's trying to counteract the bullshit on imgur however infantile they may be.

imgur - "But MLK Jr. was no angel because... :heritage:"
/pol/ - "And they're all controlled by bad Jews. :godwinning:"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dog Survives 10 Story Jump Off Texas Freeway

http://www.peoplepets.com/2015/11/18/article/dog-survives-10-story-jump-texas-freeway

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

There's precedent in deploying troops in NI, which went over about as well as you'd expect, but I really don't think giving the RUC bigger guns and having them mall-ninja all over the place would have gone over any better. Probably even worse.

On the mainland there's long precedent of troops being used for disaster relief and for emergency services when firefighters are on strike, usually ones from the local area. Not in 'active' roles though.

The problem with SWAT is a tendency towards mission creep. I understand the aversion to putting yourself in harm's way, but they were supposed to be for high stakes hostage crises and active shooters, then someone says "I have to serve this warrant for minor drug possession but he has a prior for punching someone, I don't want to get punched. Wait, let's send SWAT" and the next thing you know there's a baby on fire and an old woman in bed shot dead at the wrong address.

That kind of thing then filters down to the rest of the public, and is a big part of the 'police as occupiers' instead of 'police as public' mindset. That and bullshit crimes, but that's not really their fault.

I think they'd at least think twice if their option was 'call the army' instead of 'call base and get tactical', although like you say that could just lead to an over-reliance on military assistance that would be even worse.

In the case of the stadium, where it was a case of a chance of significant violence from organized terrorists (or putting on a security show for the foreigners), that really doesn't seem like a peace officer thing though. Maybe they could have put on a couple of the redcoats with the big hats on the door instead, they have SA80s now.

That's why a lot of European countries (including France), keep a separate militarised police force alongside regular law-enforcement. The Gendarmerie/Carabinieri/Guardia Civil/etc provide high visibility security in busy areas as well as riot control, disaster management and a bunch of other things where having a centralised command structure comes in handy, not just for storming hostage situations.

This is the Spanish Guardia Civil. The symbol they use (the bundle of sticks with the axes) is called the Fascio which is the etymological root of the word 'fascism'.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Called a Fasces in congress:

I think it's an old Roman symbol.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with Franco (Who is still dead)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
All from my faulty memory, but the fasces was a symbol adopted by Italian and Spanish fascists, with the origin in a ceremonial object carried by bodyguards of Roman judges to symbolise state authority.

Here is my picture tax.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Used in France as well:

As well as a bunch of other countries.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Helen Highwater posted:

That's why a lot of European countries (including France), keep a separate militarised police force alongside regular law-enforcement. The Gendarmerie/Carabinieri/Guardia Civil/etc provide high visibility security in busy areas as well as riot control, disaster management and a bunch of other things where having a centralised command structure comes in handy, not just for storming hostage situations.

This is the Spanish Guardia Civil. The symbol they use (the bundle of sticks with the axes) is called the Fascio which is the etymological root of the word 'fascism'.

Carabinieri are kept around in part because in Italy it is important that there be enough police to watch all the other police. This is true of Mexico as well.

Roma

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dilkington posted:

Carabinieri are kept around in part because in Italy it is important that there be enough police to watch all the other police. This is true of Mexico as well.

Roma

Yes, and US police certainly don't need some bunch of federals interfering in their affairs

oops that might be a canadian

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
A public radio reporter recovers from being maced in Minnesota.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yes, and US police certainly don't need some bunch of federals interfering in their affairs

oops that might be a canadian

That's a hell of a lot of Timbits.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

Rest in Peace, Fellow Worker Hill. The Struggle carries on.

xthnru fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 19, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nXdMcVSkU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Joe Hill was murdered by the State of Utah 100 years ago today !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUR2PDTptO0

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGuHCsjXro

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

suck it government

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Dark One posted:

A public radio reporter recovers from being maced in Minnesota.

I'd like to see her right after that "treatment". Because you need to wipe the stuff away from your eyes, nose, mouth. She's just washing more of it in there.

Damp rag in a ziplock in your pocket, or some wetwipes for the win.

• Locked thread