Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Straight up steal the Opera from FFVI for background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Prison Warden posted:

Also steal Ultros pushing that 5-ton weight for exactly five minutes.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Just make FF6 into an Eberron campaign, which it basically is.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Bleu posted:

Just make FF6 into an Eberron campaign, which it basically is.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Backgrounds and themes no. I'd like to have them start with Versatile Expertise and Improved Defenses.

Inherent bonuses yes.

Sorry I took so long on these, I worked a lot more then I anticipated over the past two days.
Anyhow, got a chance to play around with some this morning.
Dropbox Link
Current Prefabs are:
Bilbo - Halfling Rogue
Bowser - Dragonborn Warlord (Bravura because I couldn't help it.)
Galadriel - Eldarin Wizard
Gimli - Dwarven Fighter
Legolas - Elven Ranger
Lucius - Tiefling Warlock

.dnd4e files are up, and PDFs are currently being created. I have to head to work now, so if there is an issue, I won' tbe able to fix it until much later.

Future prefabs I'm working on for this folder (including 2 PHB2 classes because y'know)
Conan - Human Barbarian
Leanne - Half-Elf Bard
Moses - Dwarven Cleric

I'll update when those are done.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 20, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's legit a shame now that the WotC forums are dead; if I recall the charops forums once had a project to make a generic level 1 pregen for each class along with tips on how to level up and how to play the class, and a small score on how complicated it was for a new player to use.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If you're lucky someone might have ported it to ENworld.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you Moriatti for those pregens, they worked perfectly for my game yesterday!

That was actually my first time running 4th Ed in-person/in-real-time, and despite my apprehensions about taking too long to set-up and run combats, we did manage to do 6 combat encounters and about 6 non-combat scenes in 6 hours, which I think is quite fast for a game that's infamous for dragging. One player even died, which also puts paid to the notion that that doesn't happen in 4e.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

4e runs pretty quick at low levels.

It starts dragging more by Paragon and is super-draggy at Epic if you're not careful.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you Moriatti for those pregens, they worked perfectly for my game yesterday!

That was actually my first time running 4th Ed in-person/in-real-time, and despite my apprehensions about taking too long to set-up and run combats, we did manage to do 6 combat encounters and about 6 non-combat scenes in 6 hours, which I think is quite fast for a game that's infamous for dragging. One player even died, which also puts paid to the notion that that doesn't happen in 4e.

That's actually really fast. Death in 4E is much more likely at low-level than even late heroic tier, though it's less likely with experienced players.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Loosely related to difficulty talk: I ran a flashback session for my group yesterday. We started our game with the party already knowing each other, so we thought it'd be fun to work out how they met the very first time. We decided we wouldn't roll back to level 1, rather we'd stay where we were at (level 7) and reflavour higher level powers accordingly. (For example, the Paladin refluffed all his level 3/5/7 powers to consumable dwarven runes.) Still, to keep them on their toes, I made all encounters according to a level 8 XP budget and featured enemies ranging from level 7 to 9.

It was a massacre. I had some uncommonly good recharge rolls on monster powers, and in the end at least two characters went below 0 HP in every fight and usually stayed down for several rounds. Apart from higher numbers and more options it felt in every way like playing level 1 encounters, except we didn't have this many near-deaths at actual level 1. Super fun experience. I actually had to start thinking about TPK contingencies mid-battle.

(This was what the opera house was for and it worked exactly like expected, the far away archers did their job incredibly well.)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Prison Warden posted:

Add an actor who is not a combatant but on stage, trying to stay in-character to stop the audience realising that this isn't part of the performance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Whybird posted:

Add an actor who is not a combatant but on stage, trying to stay in-character to stop the audience realising that this isn't part of the performance.

And two hecklers up in one of the boxes. :stat: :wal:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

4e with the math fixes can actually be pretty brutal if you run on the higher end of your EXP budget, build encounters with monsters that can work as a team, and actually play them to their strengths. With all the "4E is a minis game" talk, few people remember that a strong part of minis games is team building and strategic positioning.

My current game of Keep on The Borderlands in 4e has had 1 outright death, a near party wipe, and a player getting knocked below 0 and captured, all in 3 sessions. (Most of these are because bad roleplay decisions out them in a terrible situation, but hey, what better way to show off the OD&D and AD&D settings?)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Awesome! I'm glad they worked out!
For my own curiosity, what characters got played?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I wanted to dumb down wealth-by-level even more, how would I do it? A quick google indicated some guidelines from WOTC for their lair assaults:

We use straightforward rules to equip characters for their deadly battles. Each character receives one magic item of one level higher than their level (level + 1), one of their level (level + 0), and one of one level lower than their level (level – 1). In addition, characters receive gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of one level lower than their level (level – 1) to buy other equipment they think they’ll need. Each character may have no more than two consumable items (like potions or magic ammunition) equal to or less than the challenge’s level, and no more than one rare magic item. Note that players may equip their characters with magic items that are less than the stated levels if they so choose.

Would this work?

Moriatti posted:

Awesome! I'm glad they worked out!
For my own curiosity, what characters got played?

The Wizard and the Paladin. The rest of the players knew how to make their own characters.

One minor bit of feedback is that Ardent Strike says "and the target is subject to your divine sanction until the end of your next turn", but "divine sanction" itself is never referenced within the sheet so I had to dig it out from the Divine Power book. Otherwise though it was all good, breaking up the powers into cards really helped the players take to it like fish to water.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Interesting, I'll have to edit the PDF at some point to include that. Odd that the Char Builder doesn't already.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I wanted to dumb down wealth-by-level even more, how would I do it? A quick google indicated some guidelines from WOTC for their lair assaults:

We use straightforward rules to equip characters for their deadly battles. Each character receives one magic item of one level higher than their level (level + 1), one of their level (level + 0), and one of one level lower than their level (level – 1). In addition, characters receive gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of one level lower than their level (level – 1) to buy other equipment they think they’ll need. Each character may have no more than two consumable items (like potions or magic ammunition) equal to or less than the challenge’s level, and no more than one rare magic item. Note that players may equip their characters with magic items that are less than the stated levels if they so choose.

Would this work?
This is how char gen is usually done, and between that and inherent bonuses, you should be fine.

That said, one of the cool parts of D&D is getting loot, and there are few motivators stronger than someone having their loot stolen, so consider this.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, it'll be fine. If you want a broadly functional treasure scheme just check out the Living Forgotten Realms campaign guide, which starts in much that way but also adds a way to add treasure by level at the player's choice..

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
My computer failed it's 3rd death save and keeled over.
I'm looking for advice about reinstalling the character builder (and the cb loader) - I have all my old files as they were installed on another drive. The character builder thread is locked so I can't ask there.
Any help would be appreciated.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Install the Offline Builder. (Some people run into problems if this is installed to Programs, but I've never had that issue)

Install the October 2010 patch. (To confirm this worked, races like Dwarf should be able to pick a flex stat)

Unzip CBLoader into your builder's directory.

Put your .part files in the "custom" folder.

Run CBLoader, and give it some time to merge all those .part files.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Generic Octopus posted:

Install the Offline Builder. (Some people run into problems if this is installed to Programs, but I've never had that issue)

Install the October 2010 patch. (To confirm this worked, races like Dwarf should be able to pick a flex stat)

Unzip CBLoader into your builder's directory.

Put your .part files in the "custom" folder.

Run CBLoader, and give it some time to merge all those .part files.

Thanks. Will give it a go later. I was missing the October patch.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
Does anyone know what happened to the CBloader wiki? The page says their subscription expired.

With CBloader, is it possible to make a custom list of banned feats/classes/races/items? I'd like to make the character creation process require less paging through hundreds of obsolete, weird, or janky cruft.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

wallawallawingwang posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the CBloader wiki? The page says their subscription expired.

With CBloader, is it possible to make a custom list of banned feats/classes/races/items? I'd like to make the character creation process require less paging through hundreds of obsolete, weird, or janky cruft.

Unsurprisingly, the subscription expired. Luckily for us, archive.org has a mirror.

As for your second question, I'm pretty sure that'd be more effort than it's worth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can go into campaign settings and check/uncheck pretty much every element you want. Only checked stuff will even show up. It is a pain in the rear end because it's very slow, and it leads to some weird interactions where items appeared in more than one book, but it doesn't take that long and you can save it as a separate file. And you can do it by source or by type (i.e. all feats, all items...) within a source.

Or go into the custom .part files and delete/comment out the ones you don't want. Even if you don't know XML it's all pretty unobscured.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 26, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think I know the answer to this, but what classes compete with Seeker for worst?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Seeker is a lot more competitive than it used to be with a solid chunk of support in the latter days of Dragon.

Worst classes:

Vampire
Binder
O-Assassin if you don't give it the stupidly generous reading of the rules about shrouds and Black Flame Form
Hunter
Sentinel
maybe Blackguard

Most of the rest are at least passable, although some are more or less strictly worse than others despite being decent otherwise (most notably Witch vs Wizard).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why are Hunter and Sentinel bad?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I forgot the Sentinel was even a class.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why are Hunter and Sentinel bad?

Hunter is bad because it can't come close to the area effect or conditions that other controllers can bring, and is actually worse at control than the standard Ranger. Sentinel is bad because they completely forgot to give it any decent powers. It is a nice gimmick for hybriding with Shaman, then taking the Fey Beast Tamer theme and druid summoning dailies to control five different minis at once.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
This terrible class list needs more Bladesinger.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
You'll note all but one of these classes have something in common!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Seeker is a lot more competitive than it used to be with a solid chunk of support in the latter days of Dragon.

Seeker's bad from a char-op point of view, but I think it's pretty solid for the average case and that Seeker would fit into a solid majority of 4E games without any major issues. Maybe not games by people who post here, but this thread has a char-op level that's well above average.

I'd roll Seeker in most 'normal' games without hesitation. There are times when shooting spiders at people is more important than optimization.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ProfessorCirno posted:

You'll note all but one of these classes have something in common!

Is the answer "Heroes of _______"?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

P.d0t posted:

Is the answer "Heroes of _______"?

Essentially.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So what's with the lack of 4e recruits around here, these days?

It's not like there've been a ton of 5e games, but since the new edition dropped the well kinda seems to have run dry on SA :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I didn't have any trouble recruiting people for my Slaying Stone game. I had to rely on PbPs back when I worked nights and running live games was pretty much impossible, but things change and I'd definitely run a 4e game regularly now that I'm confident I can keep combat moving quickly enough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

P.d0t posted:

So what's with the lack of 4e recruits around here, these days?

It's not like there've been a ton of 5e games, but since the new edition dropped the well kinda seems to have run dry on SA :shrug:

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah I've been watching the recruitment thread like a hawk, hoping to get into a 4e game.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Really Pants posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Is it acceptable to start a recruitment thread if you do not plan to GM? I wad under the impression that it wasn't.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is it acceptable to start a recruitment thread if you do not plan to GM?

Doctor, I think we've found the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Really Pants posted:

Doctor, I think we've found the problem.

It is possible to find GMs even if all you have is willing players, though. There was talk of wanting to play in the Chuubo thread and Rand Brittain himself stepped up. We are like six sessions deep in the Glassmaker's Dragon (Chuubo's pre-made campaign) now.

I imagine it is not as common, since GMing is much more work, but still. It might be worth a try.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 27, 2015