Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I've seen more than a few of the "ISIS just destroyed Paris, "My I.Q. is one of the highest" Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump's wall isn't looking so stupid now, is it?"

It's like, come on, the terrorists, as far as we currently know, all entered Paris through normal methods of entry with fake passports. A wall would have done nothing to stop them because the normal points of entry would still exist. It's a pretty bad attempt to shoehorn the wall idea into legitimacy.

Edit: Also, I have that Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump Chrome addon that inserts a random dumb Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump quote any time he's mentioned and this was pretty perfect.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I got a little inebriated last night and shared a speech given by a vet who works at KFC demanding demanding a $15 minimum wage, instead of just hitting like and moving on. This morning the boyfriend's old high school classmate who he hasn't seen in two decades comments "THE FREE MARKET will determine the minimum wage." I responded by saying the market will just have to respond to the wage increase. I realize I just opened myself up to this guy wringing his hands over small business owners and layoffs. But poo poo, I get tired of engaging any deeper in these stupid conversations. Thisguy also asked "Where's Israel" on a Poli Toon I posted showing hands labeled "the media"making a frame around Paris while out of frame a number of places, like Syria, are under siege. gently caress you guy.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've seen more than a few of the "ISIS just destroyed Paris, Donald Trump's wall isn't looking so stupid now, is it?"

It's like, come on, the terrorists, as far as we currently know, all entered Paris through normal methods of entry with fake passports. A wall would have done nothing to stop them because the normal points of entry would still exist. It's a pretty bad attempt to shoehorn the wall idea into legitimacy.

Plus if you are pushing to put up a wall then France probably isn't the best example to cite.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've seen more than a few of the "ISIS just destroyed Paris, Donald Trump's wall isn't looking so stupid now, is it?"

You don't understand. The proposed wall will be like a cell's wall. It'll naturally allow law abiding citizens in while keeping out evil terrorists. And you know how well cell walls work! *is currently fighting off the flu for the 4th day*

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
My therapy for seeing "TIME TO ARM
UP, REFUGEES ARE COMING" and "CALL CONGRESSMAN HUCKLEBUCKLE AND TELL HIM NO REFUGEES" over and over from my HS friends and neighbors (who I try not to antagonize unless they're being gross) has been to go on local media FB articles with headlines like "SYRIANS IN OUR CITY? THERES MORE THAN YOU THINK!" and post "Vote for Doonald Tromp! Like if u agree!" or "like if u agree We should send ISIS BACK TO MEXICO."

I get a frightening amount of likes.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I did a quick scour and couldn't find it (maybe it was in the USPol thread? Given the state of the Right these days, these two threads are generally the same) but I seem to recall someone having posted the exact number of how often the Paris attacks would have to occur in the US to even equal, let alone surpass, the amount of gun homicides we have.

Can someone please share that? I have a dumbshit old friend on FB who's arguing on better-safe-than-sorry statistical nonsense that we ought refuse refugees, but who has also always been very pro-second amendment. I'd like to give her the exact numbers on just how much more likely she is to be murdered by an American with a gun than a Syrian with an anything.

Not sure what the post was, but I found the numbers you'd need. There were 8,124 firearm homicide victims in 2014, which is actually fairly low compared to previous years. The current death toll from the Paris attack is 129. Quick math says that we'd need 63 Paris-attack-level incidents every year here to match the firearm homicide rate, or about one every 5.8 days. This is only homicides, mind you, so it doesn't count accidents or suicides.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 18, 2015

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Plus if you are pushing to put up a wall then France probably isn't the best example to cite.

Maginot burrrrrrrn :golfclap:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nolanar posted:

Not sure what the post was, but I found the numbers you'd need. There were 8,124 firearm homicide victims in 2014, which is actually fairly low compared to previous years. The current death toll from the Paris attack is 129. Quick math says that we'd need 63 Paris-attack-level incidents every year here to match the firearm homicide rate, or about one every 5.8 days. This is only homicides, mind you, so it doesn't count accidents or suicides.

I did some quick research yesterday and even if you add the new attacks unadjusted for population france still has less than half the murder rate of the us.

People keep saying we have to worry about our own citizens, but I'm finding these numbers don't make me worry much about our citizens being killed by syrians so much as each other.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 18, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I did some quick research yesterday and even if you add the new attacks unadjusted for population france still has less than half the murder rate of the us.

People keep saying we have to worry about our own citizens, but I'm finding these numbers don't make me worry much about our citizens being killed by syrians so much as each other.

Anybody who says we have to take care of our own citizens of ${DISENFRANCHISED_GROUP} doesn't actually give a gently caress about that group; and has a high probability of calling them horrible names and leeches of society in the past. All while voting to destroy welfare.

Those people can go gently caress themselves with a cactus.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy email forwards: seriously contemplating getting my face tattoo removed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had a fun chat with a kid I work with.

He said that he thought income tax wax wrong, because money was being taken from people who earn it, but people who get welfare don't even work.

"Or can't work," I added, which got the "yeah but you know what I really mean" non-treatment.

I then said well if you can't agree that income should be taxed to provide a basic living wage for those unable to work, surely you can agree that capital gain taxes are a good thing.

After all, capital gains are taxes on money that was not made through labor or sales of manufactured goods, meaning it's literally money made from "earned" money.

Somehow he denied that there was any difference, that the purchase of shares or bonds and knowledge of how to make profits off of that system was all that required to make that money also "earned".

I wasn't sure how to continue with him, this is a really clear distinction for me. If a person is making money off of money they already have, how the hell can you think it's unfair or awful that some of that money is distributed to fund the BAREST essentials of people without incomes?

I can kind of almost see income being considered sacrosanct, but a bunch of money made off big-boy gambling?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man if we're allowed to post what our coworkers say I got one that believes the "15-20% of Muslims are radical extremists that want to kill us all" stat. Over 16 MILLION terrorists just champing at the bit to kill them some Americans.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You don't understand. The proposed wall will be like a cell's wall. It'll naturally allow law abiding citizens in while keeping out evil terrorists. And you know how well cell walls work! *is currently fighting off the flu for the 4th day*

Well your cells don't have walls so...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

I wasn't sure how to continue with him, this is a really clear distinction for me. If a person is making money off of money they already have, how the hell can you think it's unfair or awful that some of that money is distributed to fund the BAREST essentials of people without incomes?
Landlordism? Usury? Speculation? Inheritance? Nepotism?

If he's not against any of those, he wants a return to feudalism and probably isn't worth dealing with.

tehllama posted:

How do you know they're not a plant?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

tehllama posted:

Cell membranes then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Landlordism? Usury? Speculation? Inheritance? Nepotism?

If he's not against any of those, he wants a return to feudalism and probably isn't worth dealing with.

How do you know they're not a plant?

25 years old and he's giving lip-service to tactics which are probably loving him daily.

Of course, this kid also selected a non-union electrician company to intern for, then complained constantly about the poor treatment, lack of money, and resulting job insecurity. There's a union one that also does (paid!) internships, my buddy is the same age as this guy and having a ton of fun learning new things and he's treated well and has a job secured for him when the internship ends. So I'm starting to think he's either a political masochist or doesn't know how the gently caress anything works.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Brawnfire posted:

25 years old and he's giving lip-service to tactics which are probably loving him daily.

Of course, this kid also selected a non-union electrician company to intern for, then complained constantly about the poor treatment, lack of money, and resulting job insecurity. There's a union one that also does (paid!) internships, my buddy is the same age as this guy and having a ton of fun learning new things and he's treated well and has a job secured for him when the internship ends. So I'm starting to think he's either a political masochist or doesn't know how the gently caress anything works.

Seems he's already made his choice. Have you thought about telling him that he made the wrong choice and should just gently caress off and die?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
More from the bassist with big opinions about the military.

I literally cannot fathom what it must be like to walk around this scared of everything all the time.

quote:

I have a VERY bad feeling that this ISIS/refugee issue is going to spark the 2nd American civil war. We, as a country, are as divided as we ever were... And, it's mostly because of the "leadership" (or lack thereof) in this country AND the MORONS that want to bring foreign refugees here and leave an open door for people who want to destroy us from the inside to just walk right on through with little to no opposition. It sickens me.
Even though I never served my term for various reasons, I took an oath to protect MY country and MY constitution from ALL enemies both FOREIGN and DOMESTIC... And I stand on the side of the land that my father, my uncle, my grandpa and many of my friends fought and sacrificed to maintain for me and my son... NOT for the twats over seas that didn't wanna be here til their buddies started killing them...
I KNOW which side I stand on... Hope y'all do too. I'll see my friends... My brothers and sisters... In the field when the shot gets deep.

I wanna know what "various reasons" are. But that post was accompanied with this image.

Edit: Missed this gem

quote:

The South will rise again... Just like they said they would... to show OUR people what it is to love their country above all others... This is the stance of a true patriot... Its not about race or bigotry people... Its about pride in one's self, one's home and one's family... And ill be there this time... And WE THE PEOPLE will win over the oppressors called "government"

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

quote:

The South will rise again... Just like they said they would... to show OUR people what it is to love their country above all others... This is the stance of a true patriot... Its not about race or bigotry people... Its about pride in one's self, one's home and one's family... And ill be there this time... And WE THE PEOPLE will win over the oppressors called "government"

http://www.theonion.com/article/south-postpones-rising-again-for-yet-another-year-377

Every time.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Dylanthulhu posted:

More from the bassist with big opinions about the military.

I literally cannot fathom what it must be like to walk around this scared of everything all the time.

I wanna know what "various reasons" are. But that post was accompanied with this image.

Edit: Missed this gem

The combination of military worship with Confederacy worship just breaks my loving brain every time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rick_Hunter posted:

Seems he's already made his choice. Have you thought about telling him that he made the wrong choice and should just gently caress off and die?

In slightly different words, I informed him I consider him to be a class traitor.

Wow, that "disobey the commander in chief when he gives an order he'd literally never give" rant was hilarious. These people live in a fictional setting.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

I have a a friend on Facebook who's quite reasonable, but he has some batshit insane friends.

He's John Windawind, Peta Sarira is Vladimir Putin (who was tagged by his follower for some reason).

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Duke Igthorn posted:

Oh man if we're allowed to post what our coworkers say I got one that believes the "15-20% of Muslims are radical extremists that want to kill us all" stat. Over 16 MILLION terrorists just champing at the bit to kill them some Americans.

Shoutout for "champing"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tequila25 posted:

I have a a friend on Facebook who's quite reasonable, but he has some batshit insane friends.

He's John Windawind, Peta Sarira is Vladimir Putin (who was tagged by his follower for some reason).

Tell all the ones saying 'Russia Best Country' that you're reporting them to the HUAC.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Facebook is great for finding out what people you think are pretty nice area really horrible shitbags who would dig through your pockets if they saw you have a heart attack.

I've seen that loving "I worked my way through school PLUS RAISED A NEWBORN AND WAS A HUSBAND AND TITHED 10% WITHOUT ANY DEBT SO WORK HARDER, YOU LEECHES" poster meme a dozen times. And everyone comments how THEY did it too, so anyone who whines about having debt during college, get a job and don't demand a handout! It's like...I tried to explain that not everyone has the same chances as everyone else but it gets shot down. If people just weren't afraid of HARD WORK. Some of the hardest working people I know barely speak a word of English and bust their asses 15 hours a day working two jobs part time because neither place will make them fulltime.

But they're leeches.

I also found out a old friend is a huge Truther now and almost every post he makes is about chemtails or how Sandy Hook hired the same actors as the Colorado theater shooting.

That and all the racist poo poo about the refugees. I miss the days when everyone was pissed about a Starbucks cup.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Assuming this is people who went to college in the 70s/80s, you might want to point out that it was a lot more feasible back then just due to the ratio of school cost to minimum-wage job pay. In the 70s, it was theoretically possible to work full time in just the summer and pay for your entire year of college.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bobulus posted:

Assuming this is people who went to college in the 70s/80s, you might want to point out that it was a lot more feasible back then just due to the ratio of school cost to minimum-wage job pay. In the 70s, it was theoretically possible to work full time in just the summer and pay for your entire year of college.

Well then clearly today's youth aren't working hard enough to pay that $30,000+ out of state tuition. Lazy moochers!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bobulus posted:

I actually had this conversation with two of my super-conservative coworkers today (in the same conversation they said that the Fed's imminent interest rate raising was going to wreck the economy, just in time to blame the next *presumably Republican* president. quote "It's all a conspiracy", also Hillary is basically an international criminal and the worst person ever.)

Anyway, I think I gave them a moment of pause. They talked about how they worked for a dollar an hour, and I asked them what they could buy with that dollar or how much school cost, and the fact that McDonald's has a lower acceptance rate than Harvard.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
People thinking that Full Metal Jacket is a movie about how awesome the army and war is are never not hilarious.

I don't see how you could watch a film about a man who is physically and mentally unsuitable for service snapping and killing his officer, followed by his unprepared squad being sent to war and dying horribly for no real reason and go ""yep, go 'Merica" :911:

lol they've never actually watched the entire movie, just R Lee Ermey yelling out of context

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Donowitz posted:

Man, I wish I was cool.

Interesting. I wonder if that little button on his chest is a prize of war, because I think that's Lebanese Hizballah's emblem.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Well you know, the enemy of my enemy.... Also, I forget if America and Hezbollah are on the outs currently or not.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

V-Men posted:

Interesting. I wonder if that little button on his chest is a prize of war, because I think that's Lebanese Hizballah's emblem.

WONDER NO LONGER: http://www.snopes.com/abu-azrael/

WHAT'S TRUE: Ayyub Faleh al-Rubaie (known as Abu Azrael) was reported to be a well-known ISIS opponent in Iraq.

WHAT'S FALSE/UNDETERMINED: Abu Azrael is Christian, or has more than 1,500 "confirmed kills."

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Woah, when did snopes get a facelift? Last I checked they were still rocking that late-90s webring look.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Wanamingo posted:

Woah, when did snopes get a facelift? Last I checked they were still rocking that late-90s webring look.

The sheer volume of web traffic that the GOP All-Stars from the last few years has probably padded the budget a bit.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

OldMemes posted:

People thinking that Full Metal Jacket is a movie about how awesome the army and war is are never not hilarious.

I don't see how you could watch a film about a man who is physically and mentally unsuitable for service snapping and killing his officer, followed by his unprepared squad being sent to war and dying horribly for no real reason and go ""yep, go 'Merica" :911:

lol they've never actually watched the entire movie, just R Lee Ermey yelling out of context

It is because there is no such thing as an anti-war war movie. Truffaut was right.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Duke Igthorn posted:

WONDER NO LONGER: http://www.snopes.com/abu-azrael/

WHAT'S TRUE: Ayyub Faleh al-Rubaie (known as Abu Azrael) was reported to be a well-known ISIS opponent in Iraq.

WHAT'S FALSE/UNDETERMINED: Abu Azrael is Christian, or has more than 1,500 "confirmed kills."

That original post sounds like it was written by an 8 year old describing his make believe persona.

"He uses a sword and-and he has killed over...umm...over 90 BAJILLION bad guys!"

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 19, 2015

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can anyone tell me where people are getting the idea that we're just going to open the gates and let just whoever in without a vetting process? I keep seeing people saying/acting like this is what Obama is going to do yet all I see is one of the most stringent vetting processes in the world which takes 18-24 months.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

moist turtleneck posted:

Can anyone tell me where people are getting the idea that we're just going to open the gates and let just whoever in without a vetting process? I keep seeing people saying/acting like this is what Obama is going to do yet all I see is one of the most stringent vetting processes in the world which takes 18-24 months.

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I HAVE COME TO HATE THE MUSLIM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

People are freaking out because the normal process is a bit hosed, since they are coming from a country that doesn't have records of their citizens (because the country has been blown to hell). This "lack of databases" makes the process become more about what little paper documents they do have, psychological exams and repeated interviews. A bunch of republicans have latched onto the idea that because no home national databases exist that we can query against during the process, it must me that there's no vetting at all. It's stupid but there you have it.