Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

I was thinking a while back that this would be the best possible way of making weapon loadouts and ship selection more interesting. Then we would be able to have a wide range of weapon strengths balanced by the fact that you can't just fill your ship up with a ton of the same weapon. Combat-focused ships would have more flexible hardpoints or generally allow more powerful weapons such as beams and PACs. Then the relative strength of each weapon no longer needs to be balanced against every other weapon and suddenly missiles can be powerful again etc.

Missiles would still be garbage, but now the ships they're must-fit on would also be garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bushiz posted:

Missiles would still be garbage, but now the ships they're must-fit on would also be garbage.

Missiles aren't garbage, they're just exotic and hard to use.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Libluini posted:

they're just exotic and hard to use.

i.e. garbage

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Someone on reddit had a great idea re: missiles and torpedoes: instead of being a hardpoint weapon, they could make them like in the older games, where each ship had a set number of pylons you could mount them at.

Wouldn't exactly solve the too-low damage or ammo but they wouldn't take up precious hardpoints.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

Someone on reddit had a great idea re: missiles and torpedoes: instead of being a hardpoint weapon, they could make them like in the older games, where each ship had a set number of pylons you could mount them at.

Wouldn't exactly solve the too-low damage or ammo but they wouldn't take up precious hardpoints.

That would look sexy as gently caress on some ships.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

We're getting onboard ship manufacturies which can make ammo so at some point you'll be able to have that module + raw materials in your cargo and craft missile reloads in space. That'll be sweet for medium and large ships.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Chrysophylax posted:

I would be fine for medium+ ships having a dedicated extra hardpoint for tubular weapons, especially if custom ammo was a thing so you could have missiles that could act as utility

They could be really good at collapsing shields, or good at module damage, or they could EMP engines to slow down/stop a target for a while, or scramble gimbaled/turrets to target only friendly targets for a time, . Basically a fun utility hardpoint.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Horizons will require 64 bit Windows. I can't wait for the out flowing of outraged tears from on behalf of edge case users.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 18, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

RabidWeasel posted:

People were asking for shields to regenerate faster so that you could stay in CZs and RES for longer, SCBs were the solution they introduced. It wasn't great.

As opposed to the obvious solution of "hey maybe it shouldn't take literally 10+ minutes for the shields of a moderately sized ship to recharge out of combat".

At least they're starting to figure it out.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
To pay the extra 10 euros for Horizons Beta access or not to pay for it..

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'll just wait for full release for me to gently caress in all of these ships, SRVs, and dockable ports.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's not even the ships.. I'm sure the rest of the Horizons "season" content will feature beta periods. The question is, do I want into them? Do I care enough?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

no_recall posted:

Unsure this has been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAyaGyhiQ0

This made my day.

That man's friend interdicted me last week. We duked it out in our Condas and he eventually won the battle of the SCBs.

Fortunately he didn't kill me after he took out my drives and told me to await his friend who was a Huge Man. Hughmann eventually turned up and opened comms, he sang one of his songs and we chatted. Turns out they were doing some charity stream so my de-panting was watched by a fair few people :(

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

To pay the extra 10 euros for Horizons Beta access or not to pay for it..

I need goon pressure to help me make this decision.

please

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
How about don't loving do it.

Not enjoying this craze of games that charge for you to be a beta tester (do other games actually do this?) Fair play to them tho that people are willing to pay a premium for it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

How about don't loving do it.

Not enjoying this craze of games that charge for you to be a beta tester (do other games actually do this?) Fair play to them tho that people are willing to pay a premium for it.

Elite is the first I've come across where they give you the option to pay to beta test new content before it's released to the frothing masses.

Not doing it. That's all I needed because I'm not an adult and can't make decisions on my own.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Honestly I have realized I'm not really bothering with the current betas, so I wouldn't bother with beta access to Horizons.

Then again I haven't even purchased horizons yet so. :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I prefer to have new content delivered in a nice overwhelming truckload. Otherwise you get half of it in bug-ridden beta, and on release you've already seen half the stuff before. Doubly so in a content starved game like Elite.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I have access to all the betas but I only ever dick around in them for a few hours, then go back to the real game because the betas don't mean dick

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The only thing I really use beta access for is to test drive expensive ships without spending credits on it.

I'm not in any rush to pick up Horizons (waiting for things to release to see if it addresses my issues with the game's lack of real content - will probably buy in late next year when it is mostly done and on sale), but if I were I wouldn't spend any extra money on beta personally.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DarthBlingBling posted:

Not enjoying this craze of games that charge for you to be a beta tester (do other games actually do this?)

:agreed:

I've seen a lot of kickstarters that offer the "beta tester" tier. Like, literally, pay us more money to do our troubleshooting for us. It'll be fun, come on guys!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:agreed:

I've seen a lot of kickstarters that offer the "beta tester" tier. Like, literally, pay us more money to do our troubleshooting for us. It'll be fun, come on guys!

TBH in that way it's not a big deal

For an expansion pack of an established game that is already coming out seems really weird though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Adult Sword Owner posted:

TBH in that way it's not a big deal

For an expansion pack of an established game that is already coming out seems really weird though

honestly it rubs me the wrong way no matter how they couch it, but otoh i've actually worked in video game qa so the idea of people making it even more exploitative where you need to pay for the honor of doing it feels somewhere between "tom sawyer" and "gently caress you"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be fair, while paying for beta access is iffy, it's not like 95% of buyers are writing up bug reports or providing serious feedback. At most their clients are giving Frontier more data.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Early Access is also a form of beta testing, but you're generally not paying a premium to participate - in fact, it's largely the opposite, Early Access is a bit cheaper than retail. Paying extra for beta access doesn't seem like something I'd ever do.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Fancy_Lad posted:

The only thing I really use beta access for is to test drive expensive ships without spending credits on it.

I'm not in any rush to pick up Horizons (waiting for things to release to see if it addresses my issues with the game's lack of real content - will probably buy in late next year when it is mostly done and on sale), but if I were I wouldn't spend any extra money on beta personally.

beta is also a good way to test pvp fits in "ideal" environments because nobody runs away from a fight, though I did get in a fight with a corvette while I was in a clipper and we both mutually agreed it was going to take to long for either of us to get killed and just went our separate ways

that said, I would never consider buying beta access if I hadn't got the sneaky russian discount

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The pricing and marketing for horizons is probably the strangest thing I've seen out of a videogame ever. Between paying for beta access to an expansion and the way that buying the base game is basically a trap leading up to the horizons release, FDev have made some very strange decisions.

Honestly they should have given people with the base game a larger discount and given beta access to everyone or maybe made it some kind of special edition thing where you pay extra for something that will stay in the game forever (like a paintjob or decals) and get beta access as part of that. And really they should have just taken the base game down from the store when horizons was put up and just made it so preordering got you in, what they did just confused people who were new to the scene.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Tested the corvette in PVP. Get the prismatic shields guys. It'll be worth it. The bi-weave is good for PVE. But prismatic man. That thing holds.

The latest changes allowed me to fire off 2x7A SCB's with a single heat sink while firing off my weapons.

PVP load out : all MC 1 c3 pulse and 2 C4 PA's.

PVE: anything you want

Corvette can high wake out easy. Hard to mass lock because of its mass.

Cutter is really fast. Can disengage at will.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

no_recall posted:

The latest changes allowed me to fire off 2x7A SCB's with a single heat sink while firing off my weapons.
So much for fixing the SCB spamming meta :sigh:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
You can't mass lock any ship that's high waking...

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Mercurius posted:

So much for fixing the SCB spamming meta :sigh:

In my controlled testing environment, VS another Corvette, diff build. (he used 2x IMP hammers, c3 beam, c1 mc's, c4 cannons, +prism shields)

You can hull tank, I used bi-weave and silent running. Bi- Weave (even with 3 boosters) went down relatively fast. Bi Weave's recharge is extremely quick, had to micro boosters before popping scb and timing heatsinks. So lots of fiddling. I can foresee this as multicrew gameplay. It was quite intense.

Shield tanking is still viable, but a corvette in silent running, he couldn't target me with D sensors until i was 500-800m away. I felt there were many tactical choices opened with the heat from SCB, without heatsinks, your modules will fry, but you can always carry an auto field repair kit (another build option now) and FA OFF/ silent running to repair.

It starting to slowly feel very much like Diablo3.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

DarthBlingBling posted:

You can't mass lock any ship that's high waking...

I apologise, low wake, with PA's and MC's hammered on him at 25% he could still get out. He managed to get out at 19% with me right behind him.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

no_recall posted:

In my controlled testing environment, VS another Corvette, diff build. (he used 2x IMP hammers, c3 beam, c1 mc's, c4 cannons, +prism shields)

You can hull tank, I used bi-weave and silent running. Bi- Weave (even with 3 boosters) went down relatively fast. Bi Weave's recharge is extremely quick, had to micro boosters before popping scb and timing heatsinks. So lots of fiddling. I can foresee this as multicrew gameplay. It was quite intense.

Shield tanking is still viable, but a corvette in silent running, he couldn't target me with D sensors until i was 500-800m away. I felt there were many tactical choices opened with the heat from SCB, without heatsinks, your modules will fry, but you can always carry an auto field repair kit (another build option now) and FA OFF/ silent running to repair.

It starting to slowly feel very much like Diablo3.
I think bi-weave is intended more for use against NPCs in PVE or on ships like the FDL that can't fit many SCB's because of their internal layout. Alpha strike damage is still a big thing in PVP so more total shields are always going to be better if you're running with shields as your primary defence.

That's a really good point about silent running and hull tanking builds though, I hadn't thought about that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fancy_Lad posted:

This is why I love the Marvel Heroes beta test center (which is free). Its intended use is for players to demo whatever new stuff they have on it, but you can also use it to see what X character is like at high-levels without spending currency.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man, the FdL is beastly in the beta now.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some more stuff taken from reddit and ED forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82VGGFeOyI

============

quote:

The Elite Dangerous team are working very hard getting ready for the Horizons beta next week. I have been impressed at what I’ve seen, it’s looking really beautiful; they are doing amazing things.

As always we’ve come across and solved quite a few issues. Our game is already using 64 bit data structures internally, and has been since the Kickstarter, but we’ve had to make a late decision to move to 64 bit OS support only (for Horizons), as some of the things we are doing with compute shaders have proved unreliable on Windows 32, especially with certain graphics cards even with the latest drivers.

So 2.0 and the Planetary Landings beta will be Win64 only. Season one will remain supported on 32 bit as well as 64 bit, until sometime next year at least. The good news is this doesn’t affect the majority of players; over 99% of our existing players are already running a 64 bit OS, but I’m afraid the roughly 0.5% on our last hardware survey who were still running a 32 bit OS will have to upgrade to run Horizons (most of these people may have upgraded anyway as they were still on DX10).

The team are working very hard, including this weekend to get the beta ready. The compute shader issues have caused us some delays, but it is well worth it. We are pushing this technology harder than we think anyone else has pushed it, and the results are great – the quality has continued to get better than those shown in my sneak peeks so far.

It will be tight for Tuesday but hopefully we can still achieve this date. It is looking and feeling really good, but if we find another major issue before Tuesday, we’ll let you know.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=201524

============

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5kZqukWGQ

============

============

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man, the FdL is beastly in the beta now.

As a guy still in an Eagle with a desire to possibly fly an FDL one day, please tell me what you mean in intimate detail :allears:

There's only so long I can swing this around making engine noises:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tirranek posted:

As a guy still in an Eagle with a desire to possibly fly an FDL one day, please tell me what you mean in intimate detail :allears:

There's only so long I can swing this around making engine noises:

It's getting megabuffed.

Zorgon Peterson has offered all of its FDL customers a free upgrade kit: slight improvements pitch and roll rates, a larger power plant housing (size 6) and more efficient cooling systems.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Space Skeleton posted:

It's getting megabuffed.

Zorgon Peterson has offered all of its FDL customers a free upgrade kit: slight improvements pitch and roll rates, a larger power plant housing (size 6) and more efficient cooling systems.
Which means that you can just A rate everything and don't have to worry about fitting restrictions when it was one of the hardest to fit ships alongside the Vulture previously. It's still got terrible jump range but given how absurdly good everything else about it is I think that's probably needed to balance it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
So I started a couple days ago. Got a couple million and a well fitted Cobra. Is this Robigo thing just go to robigo, take missions, profit or is there some catch I can't find anywhere?

Just tired of shooting in belts for the time being so don't really even care if it's going to take forever to make a bunch of cash or w/e.

Edit: yeah I guess the big thing is there a minimum cargo size or standing or something I need?

A large farva fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 19, 2015

• Locked thread