Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

FoxTerrier posted:

Ooo I don't suppose the Christmas spirit could inspire you to share those pintos, eh??

I love pintos and have no good recipe

It's a pretty basic recipe that probably could use some more fancy stuff to it. I'm not really good with proportions since I tend to just eyeball things but I tend to buy my pinto by the kilo and use a third of the bag of a time to a half. They're dry so you need to soak them overnight. So the magic happens the next day.

-Drain the water from the soaked pinto beans, wash them a bit and put them back in a pot and cover them with water. Add to this pot a large carrot and a peeled GREEN plantain. Make sure everything is covered by at least 1.5 inches of water. I also add 2 bouillon cubes at this point for flavoring. Pork is ideal but I don't even know if that exists. Anything will really do.

-Get that water boiling and then drop it to low and keep the pot semi-covered and simmering for probably 2.5 to 3 hours, sometimes longer if you've got a lot of beans going. By the end of this process your beans should be cooked, and the carrot and the plantain should be mushy. In fact mushy enough you can take them out and mash them (like you would do with potatoes) or just straight up purée it in your blender. You'll want add a handful of the cooked beans and the water to that purée.

I should add that by the time they're cooked there won't be much water. If you're ever low on water, everything should always have some water over them, add enough salted water, to keep the flavor.

-You should before making the purée put some bacon to cook. Doesn't matter if it's in strips, or if it's thick or thin or chopped up, the key here really is the bacon grease itself. You're going to add that grease to the purée, or even directly the beans.

-Add the purée back to the beans which will thicken it and there you are! Serve with rice (obviously). I also like serving it with the cooked bacon, the greens from a scallion, and cilantro because everything is better with cilantro. Traditionally you'd eat this with chicharron (pork rinds), a steak, and morcilla (blood sausage).

I'm sure there are ways to gussy it up but it's pretty good as is. It takes a while to get the salt and pepper ratios right but you'll get it soon enough. The purée should really be quite mashed. You'll get it perfect with a blender every time but if you've just got a fork it may be a bit chunkier but it'll taste fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

you don't believe that

i might?

Lane's fine too.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Its as bad or worse this season.

drat, that's almost impressive.

I feel like they don't even write a story for the season, they just come up with cool scenes or interesting shots and figure that will carry them through a season.

The show always looks fantastic, but there is just nothing going on.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

drat, that's almost impressive.

I feel like they don't even write a story for the season, they just come up with cool scenes or interesting shots and figure that will carry them through a season.

The show always looks fantastic, but there is just nothing going on.

Is this your first Ryan Murphy show?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

i might?

Lane's fine too.

lane is the most annoying of all

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Getting on your nerves isn't a moral failing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pinterest Mom posted:

Getting on your nerves isn't a moral failing.

I'm glad you think that, it's important to be able to view oneself as a good person.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I'm glad you think that, it's important to be able to view oneself as a good person.

No it isn't :grin:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tremendous Taste posted:

everyone in gilmore girls is the worst

it's like seinfeld but unintentionally

yeah but not really

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

You guys should try living in hermetically sealed ideological bubbles, it's working out pretty great for me.

(I have a [1] Conservative friend and he's much too well-behaved to talk about his views. He asked a prof a leading question about the Laffer curve once is all I can recall.)

You can get idiots of the correct ideology though they will complain why don't people have some other country's flag on their fb profiles or even worse how can you sympathise with france when it did an imperialism? posts and they are every bit as aggravating as dumb anti-Islamic poo poo imo.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

A law of politics is that everybody to the right of you is an rear end in a top hat and everybody to the left of you is utterly insufferable.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Puntification posted:

You can get idiots of the correct ideology though they will complain why don't people have some other country's flag on their fb profiles or even worse how can you sympathise with france when it did an imperialism? posts and they are every bit as aggravating as dumb anti-Islamic poo poo imo.

Oh, yeah, I have more people posting "let's all remember the real tragedy that took place on September 11th, the US-sponsored Chilean coup" than talking about the WTC attacks on my friends list~

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

yeah but not really

every gilmore is trash, maybe not richard

every gilmore S.O. is garbage except maybe luke

every rory friend is subhuman waste

every quirky townie is a disease unto themselves

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

trix is fine

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Asiina posted:

Has it gotten any better. I got burned by Coven and Freak Show, so when I haven't been watching beyond the second episode of this new season. It felt like more of the same flashy mess of a story from the last two seasons.

I think the current season's better than Coven and better than like the last 2/3rds of Freak Show? Like, it seems to be doing something way more consistent but at the same time it isn't really interesting. I feel like over the last two seasons I've just gotten numb to it.

Scream Queens is way more fun and has way less baggage, it's got that later Nip/Tuck complete lack of fucks that I kinda enjoy even though the last two episodes (I haven't seen yesterday's yet) were pretty blatant filler.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Why would you watch American TV when you could instead watch repeats of the bill or father Ted???

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

Why would you watch American TV when you could instead watch repeats of the bill or father Ted???

busb, 73 years young

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

busb posted:

I'll go with neither because I'm busy watching Mastermind.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's a pretty basic recipe that probably could use some more fancy stuff to it. I'm not really good with proportions since I tend to just eyeball things but I tend to buy my pinto by the kilo and use a third of the bag of a time to a half. They're dry so you need to soak them overnight. So the magic happens the next day.

-Drain the water from the soaked pinto beans, wash them a bit and put them back in a pot and cover them with water. Add to this pot a large carrot and a peeled GREEN plantain. Make sure everything is covered by at least 1.5 inches of water. I also add 2 bouillon cubes at this point for flavoring. Pork is ideal but I don't even know if that exists. Anything will really do.

-Get that water boiling and then drop it to low and keep the pot semi-covered and simmering for probably 2.5 to 3 hours, sometimes longer if you've got a lot of beans going. By the end of this process your beans should be cooked, and the carrot and the plantain should be mushy. In fact mushy enough you can take them out and mash them (like you would do with potatoes) or just straight up purée it in your blender. You'll want add a handful of the cooked beans and the water to that purée.

I should add that by the time they're cooked there won't be much water. If you're ever low on water, everything should always have some water over them, add enough salted water, to keep the flavor.

-You should before making the purée put some bacon to cook. Doesn't matter if it's in strips, or if it's thick or thin or chopped up, the key here really is the bacon grease itself. You're going to add that grease to the purée, or even directly the beans.

-Add the purée back to the beans which will thicken it and there you are! Serve with rice (obviously). I also like serving it with the cooked bacon, the greens from a scallion, and cilantro because everything is better with cilantro. Traditionally you'd eat this with chicharron (pork rinds), a steak, and morcilla (blood sausage).

I'm sure there are ways to gussy it up but it's pretty good as is. It takes a while to get the salt and pepper ratios right but you'll get it soon enough. The purée should really be quite mashed. You'll get it perfect with a blender every time but if you've just got a fork it may be a bit chunkier but it'll taste fine.

Thank you! This all looks easy to follow and delicious...I will tell you how my making it goes!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Dear Santa,

Kickass. Are you local to me because my address doesn't seem to be on here anywhere

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dear santee,

Post something so I know the kind of stuff you're in to that isn't Mafia or hating other stuff

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Dear santee,

Post something so I know the kind of stuff you're in to that isn't Mafia or hating other stuff

hmm
either Taste or Allen imo

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Birdstrike posted:

busb, 73 years young

When I was in the UK earlier in the year every time I walked past a police car I had to sing "baddum buddum bowww! do dooo dee dooww dowww" etc it was great.

I was mainly joking though. Forbrydelsen, Börgen and Wallander are where its at nowadays

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I've already revealed my Christmas wish

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Dear Santa,

Kickass. Are you local to me because my address doesn't seem to be on here anywhere

Hey Kash, a little elf told me that they're happy that you liked the give haha! They also said they'd be back. Oh yes, oh yes they'd be back, as long as there is work in Boston and they have a plain unmarked white van.

I've included a picture so you can try to spot them!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Hey Kash, a little elf told me that they're happy that you liked the give haha! They also said they'd be back. Oh yes, oh yes they'd be back, as long as there is work in Boston and they have a plain unmarked white van.

I've included a picture so you can try to spot them!

Keane you traveled a long way just to make use of your selfie

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Keane you traveled a long way just to make use of your selfie

Whoa who is saying it's be me haha, I'd never do anything so whacky, haha.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

I've already revealed my Christmas wish

You didn't say if you wanted them on vinyl or compact disc.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Who even collects CDs

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

Who even collects CDs

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I've a box full of Kylie Minogue and indie band CDs at my parents' house :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there anyone here in the auto repair industry? I've decided I want to look into becoming a mechanic as a career option, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Especially since I dropped out of college a few years back, so my total GPA is a terrible ruin. :v:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Some chains might have programs to put you through, if they can hire and coach up a blank slate etc

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I ain't dead yet Fuckers.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I just spent thirteen hours more or less straight in a studio working on three completely separate productions and have subsisted on three cups of coffee and a granola bar but it takes more than that to kill the mother loving rooster, let me tell you.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
You are going to have to cut off my loving head to get rid of me. I'm going to coordinate three separate camera teams on three loving projects and oh yeah I'm also 1st AD on an indie film so I got that going for me. I can't die. I'm too loving pretty.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bad news: We lost to Akron in basketball lol we are going to be so bad this year

Good news: My aunt that works at nintendo called today because they are having their garage sale so I got some cheap games and controllers :toot:

Net positive imo.

Watching Catface in the music room, come watch with me or put on actual music. Either way works.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 19, 2015

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Yeah that's right I just ate some yogurt and now I'm going to go to bed. Before that I'm pacing furiously in a circle tapping into a phone shouting out 'chyeah' whenever I nail a particularly heavy bit of loving bullshit right goddamn here. Immortality bebeh. Chyeah.

Im worldstar hip hop if it was a shirtless white guy shouting at his phone while he posts. Unbelievable and unstoppable, those are going to be the words on my tombstone that I won't ever goddamn need since I will never die . Gonna put that poo poo above my mantle.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I probably should drink a bunch of rum and cokes and stay up til four am posting right now. gently caress work. gently caress it. I don't care. I can do whatever I set my mind to and my mind is set to destroying this beautiful blue marble some people call Earth. Mad villain. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I ain't kidding about the pacing I have not stopped this it has been fifteen minutes. I fear that if I look up from my phone it won't be the same world that it was when I started pacing . I feel like I'm falling down pitching forward forever and I can live forever so long as I don't come to a sudden stop. If I stop posting I'm gonna die and I ain't ever going to die and that means I'm going to live forever .

Edit: so long as I keep posting. Hard to fact check your posts when you are undulating back and forth in a mad march towards the heat death of the goddamn universe. But that's cool. I like it.