Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Where can I go to get some good armor if I'm level 16 and still wearing the vault suit with some stuff over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is there a complete list out there of clothing that can be modified with ballistic weave and still have other armor layered over it?

I feel like military fatigues are "the best" but I am getting bored of them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Meridian posted:

Is there a complete list out there of clothing that can be modified with ballistic weave and still have other armor layered over it?

I feel like military fatigues are "the best" but I am getting bored of them.

I feel like ballistic weave should have only effected the Clothing sets that prohibit armor.

That way you could run around with your favorite cool looking set and still have good protection.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Xae posted:

I feel like ballistic weave should have only effected the Clothing sets that prohibit armor.

That way you could run around with your favorite cool looking set and still have good protection.

I don't disagree, but if I can abuse it I am going to.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

speaking of timeline wouldnt fallouts 3 and 4 make more sense if they took place like 50 or 100 yrs after the war

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

So the diamond city blues quest is incredibly buggy. Here's the bizarre franken reality that my game ended up in after I "finished" it.

After convincing cooke to just leave pauls wife alone peacefully, he randomly asks me to ambush a chem deal, apparently that's normal? Seemed very out of nowhere. I said ok and went to the deal with him. Didn't talk to Paul or anything. Ambushed the deal and made the goul lady give me the password. Cooke shoots her and says he's leaving (why? reasons.) It says "report back to paul" and optionally go to the chem lab. I decide to go to the chem lab but I leave it for a few days first. I get inside the chem lab and it auto triggers the whole quest as done without giving me any pop up or xp. I can no longer "report" to paul. When I get back to diamond city, cookes daughter accuses me of killing Cooke and that paul told her I did so (I haven't even talked to paul since he gave me the quest). I told her paul was lying, since he was, and she got angry but gave up. Then I went and found paul, who told me I'd ruined his life, but when I actually talked to him, he just asked me how I dealt with Cooke. I told him I persuaded cook to leave his wife alone and he goes ok and that's it. Nothing about chems. He then tells me I ruined his life again once I've exited conversation. And to top it off, his wife thinks Cooke "wont let her in his bar anymore".

So apparently Cooke is missing/dead/still at his empty bar. Really disappointing and confusing.

I don't like having my game this disjointed. Really killing it for me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah for sure have shop keepers at your main base where you plan to do all your logistics. The question was if it's worth it to fully build out every town. Not really, the shops and stuff are there for you as the player's convenience so you can set up a one-stop crafting and shopping zone. But you only need one really.

Yeah, town building is a really wasted potential. With a better interface and some more options/policies it could have been really cool. Let towns specialize in certain things and trade between them selves. Let your towns trade with the outside world for profit, so actually sell excess food and water. Set up workshops and industries, have some simple production chains. I mean you don't have to turn it into Anno 2287, but I'd have a blast setting up little economies and actually seeing the wasteland become more civilized over time due to my actions. It would also open up a lot of quest solutions and opportunities, things bigger than a lone wanderer. Maybe a whole town is starving, so you offer some of your network of town's surplus food (if you have a surplus that is). Assign patrols to areas to increase their safety, making hostile encounters there much more rare while making civilians more happy/productive. I'd love to actually slowly take back the wasteland, pacify and civilize it. gently caress, that could be the whole plot of a game. gently caress finding a stupid single baby, there's a whole commonwealth to save.

Yeah, a lot of the new systems are rough and rudimentary, but they're natively in the game now for modders to expand instead of hack in. And with the popularity of crafting and survival games as well as a massive modding community I think this game will go places. The nerdiest, most autistic places :)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dongicus posted:

speaking of timeline wouldnt fallouts 3 and 4 make more sense if they took place like 50 or 100 yrs after the war

Yeah, after 200 years pretty much any steel/iron exposed to the elements would have rusted to dust.. And everything would have been looted a long, long time ago.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dongicus posted:

is tehre any speech checks inthis game besides "i'll do it.,............ for a price" garbage

Occasionally you can convince people not to fight you. Every now and then. But usually people fighting you are bad people so why wouldn't you just kill them.

Also for the vanishingly few charisma checks you might actually want to pass, carry some grape mentats and reload when you hit one so you can take some Sperg-away.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xae posted:

Yeah, after 200 years pretty much any steel/iron exposed to the elements would have rusted to dust.. And everything would have been looted a long, long time ago.

Yeah I love how there's still useful items all over the place, tons of undisturbed skeletons. It's like you're the first person to ever explore the wastes. Bethesda really wants fallout to take place like maybe a generation after the bombs fell.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BadLlama posted:

You need armorer and science 4 to make them.

Or you could finish the game with the Brotherhood and Maxon gives you one for free.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Judge Tesla posted:

Or you could finish the game with the Brotherhood and Maxon gives you one for free.

Son of a bitch! Well at least I have his sweet rear end coat

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I love how there's still useful items all over the place, tons of undisturbed skeletons. It's like you're the first person to ever explore the wastes. Bethesda really wants fallout to take place like maybe a generation after the bombs fell.

I don't remember FO1/FO2 having nearly as many ruins still filled with stuff. The building or two that did was usually unlooted for a reason like Mines or Robots.

Regardless of the "REALMIZM" scavenging is a fun mechanic that I do enjoy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Occasionally you can convince people not to fight you. Every now and then. But usually people fighting you are bad people so why wouldn't you just kill them.

Speaking of persuasion and Bad People, I was walking across a bridge and a raider jumped out and demanded a toll of 100 caps to cross. I, of course, said 'no', and then used VATS to shoot her multiple times at point-blank range before she could even draw.

It was only after I'd killed her that I discovered that the rest of her raider party had already died taking down a super mutant. I don't think this was a scripted thing. Just funny wasteland happenstance that she was so certain she and her crew could take me down...and they were all already dead.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

It's great, though it's one of my least favourite songs in the soundtrack. I really like "Of Green and Grey", "Standoff", and "The Last Mariner".

I'm more of a fan of the Oblivion-style folkier stuff than the Skyrim-style bombastic film score bullshit. I'm in the minority for that probably, but Skyrim's soundtrack was just so loving generic.

skyrim itself was pretty loving generic. perhaps generic isn't the right word - there were plenty of interesting ideas but the execution was so dull. fight the same looking enemies in the same looking caves while doing the same randomly generated quests that are compulsory before you touch a story a human wrote and designed. that and talking to the dullest characters imaginable who all seemingly have the same voice (the actual VA count is pretty good but they all seem to have been directed to do the same 'bored sounding nordic accent' voice.) and it's all viewed through some bastard grey filter

parts of that game are absolutely marvellous but not for want of them desperately trying to send you to sleep at times. FO4 is a lot better in that regard; you feel compelled to sift through the dungeons and the characters are all better animated with actual voice direction and uniqueness to them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any way of fixing the walls of the Castle? I hate the giant open spaces and don't want to be stuck just filling it with junk fences :(

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Danaru posted:

Is there any way of fixing the walls of the Castle? I hate the giant open spaces and don't want to be stuck just filling it with junk fences :(

Use that wood floor option with the concrete to fill the holes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah for sure have shop keepers at your main base where you plan to do all your logistics. The question was if it's worth it to fully build out every town. Not really, the shops and stuff are there for you as the player's convenience so you can set up a one-stop crafting and shopping zone. But you only need one really.

Yeah, town building is a really wasted potential. With a better interface and some more options/policies it could have been really cool. Let towns specialize in certain things and trade between them selves. Let your towns trade with the outside world for profit, so actually sell excess food and water. Set up workshops and industries, have some simple production chains. I mean you don't have to turn it into Anno 2287, but I'd have a blast setting up little economies and actually seeing the wasteland become more civilized over time due to my actions. It would also open up a lot of quest solutions and opportunities, things bigger than a lone wanderer. Maybe a whole town is starving, so you offer some of your network of town's surplus food (if you have a surplus that is). Assign patrols to areas to increase their safety, making hostile encounters there much more rare while making civilians more happy/productive. I'd love to actually slowly take back the wasteland, pacify and civilize it. gently caress, that could be the whole plot of a game. gently caress finding a stupid single baby, there's a whole commonwealth to save.

Yeah that would have been really cool.

Hoping for a mod or some DLC maybe to expand on it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

frajaq posted:

Use that wood floor option with the concrete to fill the holes.

"Shack Foundation" or something, right?

Also: There's three unconnected Laser Turrets in storage once you unlock the Castle's armory. Just place them next to wires and you're good to go.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dongicus posted:

is tehre any speech checks inthis game besides "i'll do it.,............ for a price" garbage

Most speech checks are just for additional information/character interaction.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

M42 posted:

Can someone explain why my pipboy is so zoomed out? It was fine on my first character, then I started another and it's like this. Right click doesn't move it much, restarting game/computer didn't help :confused: It's a pain in the rear end to read anything on it.

I am willing to be its because you modified your FOV.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Post game spoilers!

So I sided with the Brotherhood and wiped out the Institute and all that jazz, but upon visiting Diamond City I overheard a few people talking about the Mayor being a synth, and one of the guards was shot, I was then given a quest to deal with the Mayor.

Piper was outside his office trying to kick the door in, yelling at him about how she always knew he was a synth, you can lockpick your way in but 80% of the time this will start a fight instantly with the Mayor, but if you can manage to talk to him, he's holding his secretary hostage, you have a choice to allow him to leave, or kill him.

I must warn you, if you kill him, be very careful as his secretary will sometimes pick up his gun and start firing, if she does this, do not kill her, as Piper will immediately turn hostile and attack you, I don't know if she'll do this if she's with you at the time, but she turned on me and Cait bashed her brains out instantly, I reloaded of course and just ran away, leaving everyone else to deal with the Secretary, consequence free.

She's probably not meant to do this but the Mayor is probably still flagged as an Innocent NPC, even though he's not anymore.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I initially went 10 charisma for the ability to go all nonlethal Metal Gear Solid with that skill that lets you hold human enemies up. But then pretty much every time I got a few raiders to surrender I'd walk 10 steps and find a bunch of butchered settlers on meathooks or whatever, and ended up deciding "nah, actually I'm gonna have to turn around and blow all of your heads off for exp, you horrific monsters".

Ended up console respeccing right out of that.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 19, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vargs posted:

I initially went 10 charisma for the ability to go all nonlethal Metal Gear Solid with that skill that lets you hold human enemies up. But then pretty much every time I got a bunch of raiders to surrender I'd walk 10 steps and find a bunch of butchered settlers on meathooks or whatever, and ended up deciding "nah, actually I'm gonna have to turn around and blow all of your heads off for exp, you horrific monsters".

You know now that you pointed your gun at me, its time to not fight you.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Generic Monk posted:

this isn't MSAA though - the shader based solutions shouldn't work like that. i'll try it though, since as this is a bethesda game and there's a non-zero chance that a more or less free effect in other games could double your GPU usage here

You are right, but it is more work of course, and an easy thing to lower to try to get better frame rates. Anistropic isn't as intensive as it once was either, but frankly with the bloom I can barely notice the difference whether its on or off.

quote:

is there a trick to base building that I'm missing?

One of the big tricks is to use structures>wood>floors>shack stairwell when moving to a second level. It makes a floor on the next level that you can snap stuff too. Typically I start with a foundation, either the wood or concrete ones. When you have your basic pad laid out you can throw a shack stairwell on the side and continue from there. If you use the all-wood shack foundation then no one can tell its misaligned!

There are some things that just don't work, like putting walls on an inside corner (think a U shaped building). Just keep plugging along and you'll figure it out.

E: messed up the quote

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 19, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Vargs posted:

I initially went 10 charisma for the ability to go all nonlethal Metal Gear Solid with that skill that lets you hold human enemies up. But then pretty much every time I got a few raiders to surrender I'd walk 10 steps and find a bunch of butchered settlers on meathooks or whatever, and ended up deciding "nah, actually I'm gonna have to turn around and blow all of your heads off for exp, you horrific monsters".

How does that hold up perk work? Do they just go into a 'fear' state or do they actually put their hands up/get on the ground?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Probably more expense than laziness. There is original music in the game, the theme and background ambient music, but creating a whole selection of imitation bands from an alternate 1960's, 70's, 80's etc on top of that would be a pretty massive project either for their own composers or for whatever bands were hired to do it and it would end up being a huge amount of money and hours spent on something probably only a very small part of the playerbase pays any attention to. Licensing old songs is often cheap, and if they are old enough (75 years I think) you don't even need to license them.

There are thousands of songs to choose from that era in the public domain. Bethesda chose to recycle a few they already used and add a few from that archive, for a grand total of like 12 tracks. It's a shame the only radio mod out now jankily splices extra audio tracks into existing radio audio files.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

gromdul posted:

I spent a fair bit of time putzing around in the later portions of skyrim with godmode enabled (which gives you infinite carryweight) after I got sick of the combat so i feel compelled to do a more purestrain bethesda experience this time around. Haven't used the console once, even to noclip out of getting stuck on world geometry which I'm fairly sure is a first.

I dont know how you could play this game with god mode or unlimited everything. Its like you beat the game with a keystroke. I guess you could just like run the main story quest and be done in like 5 hours.

The combat would have to get super dull after a few hours because you are never improving.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

There are thousands of songs to choose from that era in the public domain. Bethesda chose to recycle a few they already used and add a few from that archive, for a grand total of like 12 tracks. It's a shame the only radio mod out now jankily splices extra audio tracks into existing radio audio files.

My radio is called "foobar2000" I can play almost any music I want on it without caring what a game developer decides to add, its pretty cool.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here, goon made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSw6iDSujg

:gizz:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Danaru posted:

How does that hold up perk work? Do they just go into a 'fear' state or do they actually put their hands up/get on the ground?

Some dude earlier said that at the highest level he basically got the thing he held up as a follower, but that was with the animal one. He said he had an army of deathclaws.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Baronjutter posted:

Which just makes it all the more baffling that they decided it had to be set after Fallout 2. Nobody was forcing them to set it 200 years after the war, and it was in another part of the country from previous games so there was no requirement for there to be references to the other games.

There was some rule I once heard about for fantasy writers, suggesting to them that virtually every fantasy setting would be more interesting if time was compressed tenfold, so that events from a thousand years ago happened 100 years ago instead, and so on. Bethesda's fallouts would benefit from that significantly.

Except, I guess, that the plot of Fallout 4 would then not make any sense.

Oh wait

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Reveilled posted:

Except, I guess, that the plot of Fallout 4 would then not make any sense.

Oh wait

Dont worry about that one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

hellfaucet posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here, goon made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSw6iDSujg

:gizz:

That was a masterwork of timing

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

gromdul posted:

One of the big tricks is to use structures>wood>floors>shack stairwell when moving to a second level. It makes a floor on the next level that you can snap stuff too. Typically I start with a foundation, either the wood or concrete ones. When you have your basic pad laid out you can throw a shack stairwell on the side and continue from there. If you use the all-wood shack foundation then no one can tell its misaligned!

There are some things that just don't work, like putting walls on an inside corner (think a U shaped building). Just keep plugging along and you'll figure it out.

I just built boring two-story rectangle houses on top of the concrete foundations in Sanctuary. If you get one wooden floor piece aligned the rest just snaps right in. Plenty of room for beds and one has a functioning TV (in a world with no service so it's always on stand-by). I'm trying to make something resembling a bar in one, but I need to scrap a lot of wood again.

What I'd really like is for the ghoul corpses to disappear from Sunshine Tidings. I think they're actually respawning because I know I dumped some of them outside of town and one that was on a table I scrapped is now levitating. But I haven't seen Professor Goodfeels in a while.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

What I'd really like is for the ghoul corpses to disappear from Sunshine Tidings. I think they're actually respawning because I know I dumped some of them outside of town and one that was on a table I scrapped is now levitating. But I haven't seen Professor Goodfeels in a while.

pretty sure he gets killed offscreen by the settlers and then despawned

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Danaru posted:

You press the use button while aiming at them and they stand there and put their hands up. If you shoot them by accident they'll go hostile again. If you have the higher rank of the perk, you can use it again to get them to side with you. I didn't spend much time at all with rank 2 but it felt a little finicky. Maybe you need to be closer for that part to work?

I didn't particularly like it. Your cursor needs to be directly on them for it to trigger, and at that point why not just shoot them instead? Especially since you need to wait around to see if it worked, which it often doesn't and you've just wasted a few seconds while he and his buddies continue to lay into you. Maybe it's better on survival where it could be really useful to have a potential damage spongy guy on your side, but on hard it just seems like a waste of effort.

Anyways, does anyone know exactly how to get that railroad upgrade that lets you improve your underarmor? So far I've done some "main" stuff for them, all 6 of those dead drop Randolph missions, 2 missions for PAM, and god knows how many of Tinker Tom's weathervanes. At this point there doesn't seem to be anything else except the repeatable weathervane quests. And still, I can't upgrade military fatigues or anything of the sort. Someone mentioned that when that stuff unlocks, Tom starts selling "armored" items, which he has not done. I'm getting pretty annoyed at this point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimmalah posted:

I just built boring two-story rectangle houses on top of the concrete foundations in Sanctuary. If you get one wooden floor piece aligned the rest just snaps right in. Plenty of room for beds and one has a functioning TV (in a world with no service so it's always on stand-by). I'm trying to make something resembling a bar in one, but I need to scrap a lot of wood again.

Get cannibalism.

<man eating a corpse>
<new settler walks into town>
new settler: "what the gently caress is that guy doing"
settler: "Hes the general of the minutemen"

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Mod thread is a go.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Tesla posted:

Post game spoilers!

So I sided with the Brotherhood and wiped out the Institute and all that jazz, but upon visiting Diamond City I overheard a few people talking about the Mayor being a synth, and one of the guards was shot, I was then given a quest to deal with the Mayor.

Piper was outside his office trying to kick the door in, yelling at him about how she always knew he was a synth, you can lockpick your way in but 80% of the time this will start a fight instantly with the Mayor, but if you can manage to talk to him, he's holding his secretary hostage, you have a choice to allow him to leave, or kill him.

I must warn you, if you kill him, be very careful as his secretary will sometimes pick up his gun and start firing, if she does this, do not kill her, as Piper will immediately turn hostile and attack you, I don't know if she'll do this if she's with you at the time, but she turned on me and Cait bashed her brains out instantly, I reloaded of course and just ran away, leaving everyone else to deal with the Secretary, consequence free.

She's probably not meant to do this but the Mayor is probably still flagged as an Innocent NPC, even though he's not anymore.

This is awesome.

I already tried to shoot that dude in the head upon learning that fact but lol of course he is essential.

• Locked thread