Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emy
Apr 21, 2009

CJacobs posted:

1. "prid (whatever their id is)" to select them, without quotes. IDs can be found on the various wikis under Object ID.
2. "player.placeatme"

That should place them wherever your crosshair is looking or right in front of you. No quotes on either command.

edit: Note that sometimes this doesn't work for some inexplicable Gamebryo reason, so you can also just try "player.placeatme (whatever their id is)" instead if it decides not to.

placeatme spawns a new instance of that ID at your position.

To move something, you want "moveto player".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mr. Stingly posted:

So basically you can't ever get it.

You can get it at lv.41, so depends on when you stop playing.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Harrow posted:

Seriously, someone get Inon Zur some kind of award for his work on this game's soundtrack. This iteration of the main theme is just stupidly good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvZE4BY0hY

It's great, though it's one of my least favourite songs in the soundtrack. I really like "Of Green and Grey", "Standoff", and "The Last Mariner".

I'm more of a fan of the Oblivion-style folkier stuff than the Skyrim-style bombastic film score bullshit. I'm in the minority for that probably, but Skyrim's soundtrack was just so loving generic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like the soundtrack in all the Bethesda games. I don't like that the sound files in Fallout 4 don't appear to be normally accesible through the folders like New Vegas' were. Somewhere I can download the whole thing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Emy posted:

placeatme spawns a new instance of that ID at your position.

To move something, you want "moveto player".

Both work, but placeatme doesn't create a new instance if you select something first iirc. Note that I did not check this before saying it, it's just something I read, so if I'm wrong then whoops my bad enjoy Cait's new twin MooCowlian.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I like the soundtrack in all the Bethesda games. I don't like that the sound files in Fallout 4 don't appear to be normally accesible through the folders like New Vegas' were. Somewhere I can download the whole thing?

Starting with Skyrim, they started packing that poo poo in an archive with a special (I think raw? Don't remember) format. I remember because I distinctly remember replacing most of Skyrim's files with poo poo from Oblivion. I don't think anyone can remember anything except for the "Tobe! Dovahkiin!" song or whatever it was called.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The jet pack on the power armor isn't that great anyways. You can travel maybe 15 feet tops before it cuts off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Noyemi K posted:

Starting with Skyrim, they started packing that poo poo in an archive with a special (I think raw? Don't remember) format. I remember because I distinctly remember replacing most of Skyrim's files with poo poo from Oblivion. I don't think anyone can remember anything except for the "Tobe! Dovahkiin!" song or whatever it was called.

I like all the exploration tracks in Skyrim :shobon: Also the town track for Whiterun a lot. Fallout 4 probably has the soundtrack that best captures the feel of the game so far though. It even has unique exploration tracks for the various overworld areas (I think)!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Noyemi K posted:

Well there's your problem, you shouldn't even think about taking on the Mirelurk Queen until you have semiautomatic weapons that deal 60 damage/shot or automatic weapons that deal 20/shot. My Model 29 deals 120 damage per shot because I've got 3 ranks in gunslinger, 3 in rifleman, and kitted out weapons. Fight was a cakewalk and I hardly took damage because I could see the acid spit coming a mile away.

Everyone had built up that fight so much that when I finally had it, in my BOS/synth armour and full arsenal, I was a bit disappointed at how quickly she got shredded eating bullets from me, MacCready, and the minutemen. :shrug:

I guess but Preston didn't exactly provide me with an excel spreadsheet to plan my assault. Granted, the fact that the trip to the castle was a harrowing running gun battle that sapped me dearly of resources was a hint. But hey he gave me the mission when I was like level 3 and I waited until level 9 or so to take it!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Noyemi K posted:

holy poo poo that would be an awesome song

MOEAGARE, MOEAGARE, MOEAGARE DOVAHKIINU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BadLlama posted:

The jet pack on the power armor isn't that great anyways. You can travel maybe 15 feet tops before it cuts off.

There's a mod that lets you jet pack infinitely and I'm probably going to download it because I was super excited for the jet pack and yeah it's underwhelming.

I can at least get up high enough to get the explosive vent legs to gently caress people up but still... I can't even get to the roof of a 1 story building.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BadLlama posted:

Worth it for rule of cool.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

There's a mod that lets you jet pack infinitely and I'm probably going to download it because I was super excited for the jet pack and yeah it's underwhelming.

I can at least get up high enough to get the explosive vent legs to gently caress people up but still... I can't even get to the roof of a 1 story building.

The jetpack is something that I was considering speccing into power armor later in the game to get, so it's really funny to see how badly they hosed it up.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

Deified Data posted:

You can get it at lv.41, so depends on when you stop playing.

By the time I get it though I'll be super bored of terrifying the hooting natives of the wasteland.

That reminds me, a major mod I want is upgradeable Power Armor gauntlets to include built in weaponry, like machine guns, auto cannons, rocket punches, and flamethrowers. Maybe a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. Moving around in Power Armor finally has a great, weighty feel, and it would be totally badass in first person view to throw out a gauntlet and see a small minigun attached shooting explosive rounds, or spraying liquid fire.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sector_corrector posted:

The jetpack is something that I was considering speccing into power armor later in the game to get, so it's really funny to see how badly they hosed it up.

It was cool jumping from a high rise though. Stupid NPCs had to use the elevator.

That's not a jet pack thing that's just a power armor thing but still.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Stingly posted:

By the time I get it though I'll be super bored of terrifying the hooting natives of the wasteland.

That reminds me, a major mod I want is upgradeable Power Armor gauntlets to include built in weaponry, like machine guns, auto cannons, rocket punches, and flamethrowers. Maybe a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. Moving around in Power Armor finally has a great, weighty feel, and it would be totally badass in first person view to throw out a gauntlet and see a small minigun attached shooting explosive rounds, or spraying liquid fire.

Though I guess that's not canon or whatever but who really cares at this point, Fallout 1 and 2 are irrelevant.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

holy poo poo that would be an awesome song

MOEAGARE, MOEAGARE, MOEAGARE DOVAHKIINU

:golfclap: A man of taste.

Internet Kraken posted:

I like all the exploration tracks in Skyrim :shobon: Also the town track for Whiterun a lot. Fallout 4 probably has the soundtrack that best captures the feel of the game so far though. It even has unique exploration tracks for the various overworld areas (I think)!

It all sounded too film-like. They took their huge budget and decided to make a generic film score, when films have completely different OST requirements than video games (and lately, I'd argue film scores have been slowly declining since the mid-70s with peaks here and there).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, Pain Train rank 3 is pretty fun to use to charge into a swarm of ghouls.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Starhawk64 posted:

I kinda wished they had some more original songs for the radio. Like where's all the weird retrofuture 50s music to go with the weird retrofuture they have? Surely they would have written some new songs between the 1950s and 2077, don't tell me that the only thing future 50s people listened to was 100 year old music. I mean I guess you can chalk it up to only old records surviving but I think holotape music players were a thing and you still find working holotapes all over the place.

I chalk it up to laziness on Bethesda's part. Much easier to license some old songs than to come up with fresh material. At least get some Caravan Palace shoved in there, that stuff sounds like crazy future 50s music.

I don't understand, do you think the games take place in 2077? And people have just been doing absolutely nothing since 1950? :psyduck:

Noyemi K posted:

:golfclap: A man of taste.

It all sounded too film-like. They took their huge budget and decided to make a generic film score, when films have completely different OST requirements than video games (and lately, I'd argue film scores have been slowly declining since the mid-70s with peaks here and there).

The instrumental scores are pretty much always a highlight of these games. And Fallout 4 is no exception.

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s
Do I need to keep magazines on me to benefit from their perks of can I put them in my rack back in the shack I built?

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007

Danaru posted:

Is there any major benefit of having multiple settlements as opposed to one big one?

You can get more settlers faster and send them to your main settlement to occupy tons of shops,

and also setup caravans to get access to all the scrap stored in the different workshops around the map
Also sanctuary stopped growing for me for some reason so I had to send in more people from other settlements which really helped

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Danaru posted:

Is there any major benefit of having multiple settlements as opposed to one big one?

Other than being a place a plop artillery and having enough defense so they don't bother you, settlements are useless. Shops make almost no money, if you want to make money off towns manually harvest and sell your crops. Just pick one town, like the castle, and build all the things you want. Don't build it for "them" build it as a base for your self with a workshop and storage and everything you want laid out how you like.

I like building the towns because it's fun, but there's basically no benefit. If you want good artillery coverage just "conquer" every town possible. Plop an artillery and a couple turrets then forget about it forever.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I don't understand, do you think the games take place in 2077? And people have just been doing absolutely nothing since 1950? :psyduck:

No, I do realize the games takes place in 2287, I meant that they had no new music after the 50s until 2077, when the bombs fell. Must be some huge cultural stagnation if all people in the 2070s listened to was music that over a century old.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

cb rocks posted:

Do I need to keep magazines on me to benefit from their perks of can I put them in my rack back in the shack I built?

You can put them on the rack, once you pick them up you have the bonus.

Baronjutter posted:

Other than being a place a plop artillery and having enough defense so they don't bother you, settlements are useless. Shops make almost no money, if you want to make money off towns manually harvest and sell your crops. Just pick one town, like the castle, and build all the things you want. Don't build it for "them" build it as a base for your self with a workshop and storage and everything you want laid out how you like.

I like building the towns because it's fun, but there's basically no benefit. If you want good artillery coverage just "conquer" every town possible. Plop an artillery and a couple turrets then forget about it forever.

I don't really agree, having shopkeepers with more money than the diamond city vendors means one-stop shopping when you are unloading gear in between adventures. Also industrial water purifiers are basically money printing machines and glue farms make adhesives a non-issue.

That said, there is a ton of wasted potential with settlements.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 18, 2015

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

is tehre any speech checks inthis game besides "i'll do it.,............ for a price" garbage

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Starhawk64 posted:

No, I do realize the games takes place in 2287, I meant that they had no new music after the 50s until 2077, when the bombs fell. Must be some huge cultural stagnation if all people in the 2070s listened to was music that over a century old.

Don't think about it that hard. Fallout has a 50's futurism design to it, which means just the 1950's but with robots and atomic stuff and everything else for some reason exactly stuck in the 50's. Also do you expect Bethesda to hire a bunch of musicians to come up with alternate-history musical genres spanning over a century of alt-history USA?

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Dongicus posted:

is tehre any speech checks inthis game besides "i'll do it.,............ for a price" garbage

No unfortunately you can't convince the Master to kill himself and then go back to your My Dinner With Andre simulator.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dongicus posted:

No

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Fun fact, both Metro and Stalker are inspired by the same novel, Roadside Picnic. Metro was further inspired by Fallout, however! :eng101:

and, y'know, the metro book

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Aw, you can't send your companions to your Diamond City house? That's lame.

Music chat:

Harrow posted:

Seriously, someone get Inon Zur some kind of award for his work on this game's soundtrack. This iteration of the main theme is just stupidly good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvZE4BY0hY

I love the Fallout theme, and I agree that 4's version is fantastic. Is there a combat variation like there was in 3?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dongicus posted:

No. Speech checks, and skill checks in general, are an outmoded relic of the days when your character was a little blue pixel you viewed from 500 feet away. Checks in a modern RPG would serve only to detract from the protagonist's characterisation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hot Jam posted:

You can put them on the rack, once you pick them up you have the bonus.

I don't really agree, having shopkeepers with more money than the diamond city vendors means one-stop shopping when you are unloading gear in between adventures. Also industrial water purifiers are basically money printing machines and glue farms make adhesives a non-issue.

That said, there is a ton of wasted potential with settlements.

Oh yeah for sure have shop keepers at your main base where you plan to do all your logistics. The question was if it's worth it to fully build out every town. Not really, the shops and stuff are there for you as the player's convenience so you can set up a one-stop crafting and shopping zone. But you only need one really.

Yeah, town building is a really wasted potential. With a better interface and some more options/policies it could have been really cool. Let towns specialize in certain things and trade between them selves. Let your towns trade with the outside world for profit, so actually sell excess food and water. Set up workshops and industries, have some simple production chains. I mean you don't have to turn it into Anno 2287, but I'd have a blast setting up little economies and actually seeing the wasteland become more civilized over time due to my actions. It would also open up a lot of quest solutions and opportunities, things bigger than a lone wanderer. Maybe a whole town is starving, so you offer some of your network of town's surplus food (if you have a surplus that is). Assign patrols to areas to increase their safety, making hostile encounters there much more rare while making civilians more happy/productive. I'd love to actually slowly take back the wasteland, pacify and civilize it. gently caress, that could be the whole plot of a game. gently caress finding a stupid single baby, there's a whole commonwealth to save.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dongicus posted:

Yes, there are quite a few which allow you to avoid a fight or get information easier. That's about it though and they're all Charisma-based.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dongicus posted:

They are few and far between. For example, there's a robot-run outdoor mall you can find...

All the Mr. Handys are glitched such they all 'accidentally' try to kill you. The coffee shop has a gas leak, so as soon as they turn on the burners, the shop explodes, etc. You can get a password that lets you initiate a firmware upgrade that fixes all that, but before you can, you have to get past the robo-supervisor. The only ways to do so are to kill him (and he's kind of a bastard at low levels...) or pass a speech check.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dongicus posted:

A handful. I've come across one that seemed like it would let me resolve a quest non-violently (with Covenant), but wasn't skilled enough to pass it. A few of them let you get passwords earlier than you normally would, but all of those are replicable by killing stuff since Bethesda will never lock a character out of doing everything in one playthrough. Mostly, however, it's just a way to get a larger number of caps.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I found it helped to setup Glue Farms and Scrap Mines at all the settlements.

I target a settlement size of 12 and I plant 4 food of Corn, Mutfruit and Tomatoes. Then I build 9 nine scavengers benches.

When the settlement hits 12 people I end up with 2 farmers, 1 Parts Runner (Local Leader 2) and 9 people working the Scrap mines.

I never run out of scrap and with the links I just build 10 turrets at every base and they never get attacked. They just work all day generating scrap for me.

I have basically enslaved half of the wasteland. It is pretty great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dongicus posted:

Are you sure thats all the caps you can give me?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

oh... ok thanks guys

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Starhawk64 posted:

I think the more likely answer is that you're meant to suspend disbelief a bit and just think of these as surviving songs from 2077 instead of "no music at all was made for 127 years." 2077 is the 50s in this universe.

(Also of course the practical answer that it's easier to license old songs than to hire someone to write and perform new ones.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

maybe the reason poo poo's still so wrecked is that everyone left is in a state of maudlin depression brought on by the radio playing nothing but ironic nuclear/death/apocalyptic oldies. or perhaps skrillex, macklemore and iggy azalea existed, just that no one burned them onto a holotape and buried them

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 18, 2015

• Locked thread