Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonsense posted:

So apparently all those governors refusing, and mayors refusing actually amounted to something, and it wasn't enough that there was federal supremacy? I'm disappointed, the most Obama can do is threaten a veto of a racist bill. :smith:

None of them can legally do poo poo, but they can make refugees feel very, very unwelcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man, gently caress this stupid country and the cancerous plague of conservatism.

:ughh:

There are candidates actively advocating that we help only christian refugees and test them before allowing them to enter, and no one seems to give a poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LeeMajors posted:

There are candidates actively advocating that we help only christian refugees and test them before allowing them to enter, and no one seems to give a poo poo.

Seems like the President, members of his party give a poo poo :shrug:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

lol at everyone in this thread losing their poo poo over all this. Have you guys been under a rock for the last few decades? This is minor league stuff for the GOP

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

Man, gently caress this stupid country and the cancerous plague of conservatism.

The best worst part is that most of those assholes would probably poo poo a brick if they knew the Christians they're talking about looked like this:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
If another terrorist attack takes place on American soil we're looking at God Emperor Trump, First of His Name, and a thousand years of darkness.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

LeeMajors posted:

note: this is the liberal republican position of establishment types like Jeb. The more common GOP position is keep all of them out.

Joementum posted:

President yes, his party far less so. Joe Donnelly, Maggie Hassan, and a few others denounced it and joined with the GOP, and tellingly Pelosi had a meeting with Ryan in getting the refugee bill through

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Even the liberal Joe Donnelly, SMH.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
FEMA Camps: Not such a bad idea now, eh Tea Party?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

smg77 posted:

If another terrorist attack takes place on American soil we're looking at God Emperor Trump, First of His Name, and a thousand years of darkness.

[THE HOLE LEFT BY THE TRUMP DARK AGES]

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

quote:

In a new interview published by GQ magazine, former ESPN executive and TV personality Bill Simmons asked Obama what the most entertaining conspiracy theory he ever read about himself was, and he didn’t hesitate in answering.

“That military exercises we were doing in Texas were designed to begin martial law so that I could usurp the Constitution and stay in power longer,” he responded. “Anybody who thinks I could get away with telling Michelle I’m going to be president any longer than eight years does not know my wife.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/11/18/obama-names-jade-helm-rumors-as-most-entertaining-conspiracy-theory-about-him/

I would have gone with the one about him teleporting to Mars when he was 19 to acclimate Martians to humans. That one never really caught on, though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

William Bear posted:

I would have gone with the one about him teleporting to Mars when he was 19 to acclimate Martians to humans. That one never really caught on, though.

This is also my favorite Obama conspiracy theory, by a wide margin.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Are there any crosstabs on the bloomberg poll showing that 64% of Americans are literally the worst? I want to hope it's at least partially a generational thing, that the under 40 vote is at least semi-human.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

lol at everyone in this thread losing their poo poo over all this. Have you guys been under a rock for the last few decades? This is minor league stuff for the GOP

Yeah there is no reason to really be upset at this whole matter. The GOP just finally found a winning argument. Xenophobia flares up at times like this. If it really is a winning argument then the Dems just need to table it for a while. Peoples views on immigration waxes and wanes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fade5 posted:

The best worst part is that most of those assholes would probably poo poo a brick if they knew the Christians they're talking about looked like this:

my mother has a coworker is who is an Assyrian christian. she and her husband immigrated to the US a couple decades ago, they are very kind people. they are pro assad though, because they view him as the least bad, apparently. great people none the less.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

William Bear posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/11/18/obama-names-jade-helm-rumors-as-most-entertaining-conspiracy-theory-about-him/

do what now?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Abel Wingnut posted:

do what now?

The CIA sent Obama to Mars in the 80s for a project. DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

THANKS, OBAMARS! :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

They're just staying par for the course that Europe already established.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Nonsense posted:

So apparently all those governors refusing, and mayors refusing actually amounted to something, and it wasn't enough that there was federal supremacy? I'm disappointed, the most Obama can do is threaten a veto of a racist bill. :smith:

Surprisingly enough they really aren't that excited about handing the election to the R's on a silver platter. Like if the dems go full speed ahead on accepting refugees and something happens don't even bother holding an election.

Joementum posted:

No, not really.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tsa posted:

Surprisingly enough they really aren't that excited about handing the election to the R's on a silver platter. Like if the dems go full speed ahead on accepting refugees and something happens don't even bother holding an election.

Great name post combo right there. Security theater and worthless violation of civil liberties included too.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Fried Chicken posted:

note: this is the liberal republican position of establishment types like Jeb. The more common GOP position is keep all of them out.

President yes, his party far less so. Joe Donnelly, Maggie Hassan, and a few others denounced it and joined with the GOP, and tellingly Pelosi had a meeting with Ryan in getting the refugee bill through

Hard to fight against it at this point. Every single thing coming off of TV/news websites today seems to be implying that there's not much security screening being done with the current refugees and the GOP is being the reasonable actor. Polling is strongly in favor of the GOP on the issue.

Politically the democratic party is staked out on not only the losing side but a very (politically) dangerous position if something ends up happening in the USA before the election. I'm glad Obama is sticking up for what is right but politically for the democratic party this is going to be a losing issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yes, I'm sure polling on a week old event is indicative of a long term trend. I also remember how people still care about Ebola.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I like how most of the time Us Pol posters are bitching about the Democrats not loudly calling Republicans out, but now we have people wringing their hands over the optics of accepting swarthy refugees. My God.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

smg77 posted:

If a terrorist attack occurs because of individuals illegally immigrating over the southern border, then yeah, you're looking at some constitutional changes in America.

This is why our party must be stronger than Republicans on security policy: if we fail, even once, the nation will never be the same again, and we will have failed in our duties to protect and defend the constitution of the united states.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

I like how most of the time Us Pol posters are bitching about the Democrats not loudly calling Republicans out, but now we have people wringing their hands over the optics of accepting swarthy refugees. My God.

It's the whole immigration debate, with the added risk of terrorism, in addition to the known propensity for antisemitic views to be held by individuals from non-democratic nations in the mideast.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 19, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

If it was good enough for President Bartlet...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

You know, this whole ISIL issue could have been avoided, if only Obama had the courage in his victory speech on election night in '08 to inspire all of humanity to take part in a joint project to send an American to Mars, a project which would have given hope to the hopeless amongst us while economically stimulating regardless of which party controlled Congress.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jim Webb, who is still pretending to be a candidate, just retweeted this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Still better than Jeb! as a crime boss

I hope he doesn't burn bridges, I liked Webb a lot following the first debate and while I think he's very far from being presidential, I do think a good spot is waiting for him provided he doesn't go rogue

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

I hate how they shoehorned a love story.

Edit: wait fight in Vietnam again?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
George Takei was also upset by the rear end in a top hat mayor from Roanoke.

https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/photos/a.223098324386295.105971.205344452828349/1411997808829668/?type=3 posted:

George TakeiLike Page
3 hrs ·
Earlier today, the mayor of Roanoke, Virginia, Mr. David A. Bowers, in the attached letter, joined several state governors in ordering that Syrian refugees not receive any government assistance, or be relocated to their jurisdiction. Apart from the lack of legal authority to do so (under the Refugee Act of 1980, only the President has authority to accept or deny refugees), his resort to fear-based tactics, and his galling lack of compassion for people fleeing these same terrorists, Mayor Bowers made the following startling statement:

“I’m reminded that Franklin D. Roosevelt felt compelled to sequester Japanese foreign nationals after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and it appears that the threat of harm to America from Isis now is just as real and serious as that from our enemies then.”

Mayor Bowers, there are a few key points of history you seem to have missed:

1) The internment (not a "sequester") was not of Japanese "foreign nationals," but of Japanese Americans, two-thirds of whom were U.S. citizens. I was one of them, and my family and I spent 4 years in prison camps because we happened to look like the people who bombed Pearl Harbor. It is my life’s mission to never let such a thing happen again in America.

2) There never was any proven incident of espionage or sabotage from the suspected “enemies” then, just as there has been no act of terrorism from any of the 1,854 Syrian refugees the U.S. already has accepted. We were judged based on who we looked like, and that is about as un-American as it gets.

3) If you are attempting to compare the actual threat of harm from the 120,000 of us who were interned then to the Syrian situation now, the simple answer is this: There was no threat. We loved America. We were decent, honest, hard-working folks. Tens of thousands of lives were ruined, over nothing.

Mayor Bowers, one of the reasons I am telling our story on Broadway eight times a week in Allegiance is because of people like you. You who hold a position of authority and power, but you demonstrably have failed to learn the most basic of American civics or history lessons. So Mayor Bowers, I am officially inviting you to come see our show, as my personal guest. Perhaps you, too, will come away with more compassion and understanding.

-- George Takei

Nice to hear someone in the public eye not being an rear end in a top hat. George Takei rules.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'd say we've reached Peak Friedman, but maybe not. The next six columns are going to be crucial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Nice to hear someone in the public eye not being an rear end in a top hat. George Takei rules.

"I get to see Allegiance as George Takei's personal guest! Mission accomplished!"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Mr. Takei would know exactly why internment is bullshit.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mitt Romney posted:

Hard to fight against it at this point. Every single thing coming off of TV/news websites today seems to be implying that there's not much security screening being done with the current refugees and the GOP is being the reasonable actor. Polling is strongly in favor of the GOP on the issue.

Politically the democratic party is staked out on not only the losing side but a very (politically) dangerous position if something ends up happening in the USA before the election. I'm glad Obama is sticking up for what is right but politically for the democratic party this is going to be a losing issue.

The left was right about Iraq being wrong and stupid and I'm not letting this one go, I'll shame these cowards every day.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's the whole immigration debate, with the added risk of terrorism, in addition to the known propensity for antisemitic views to be held by individuals from non-democratic nations in the mideast.

When you use the phrase antisemitic as part of a sweeping generalization about a group of semitic people, is it a kind of self-aware joke to go along with your act or is it just your usual self-contradictory BS?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hot Take of the day:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Joementum posted:

Hot Take of the day:

I, too listen to a women who lectures other women about staying in the kitchen and building a proper house for their husbands while that she's off having a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Joementum posted:

Hot Take of the day:

:yikes:

The more I try to understand people like her, the more I hurt inside.

• Locked thread