Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Does anyone have a recipe for some kind of hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving? We ended up having some last time when the turkey took too long to cook and everyone was just standing around waiting. It would need to be something light that I could make the day before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for some kind of hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving? We ended up having some last time when the turkey took too long to cook and everyone was just standing around waiting. It would need to be something light that I could make the day before.

Olives, pickles, hummus and pita, cucumbers, carrot sticks, or crackers, roasted nuts ...

The easy stuff is so delicious and not too terribly filling before the meal itself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I usually do a charcuterie tray if enough people are coming over. Plus my family makes these tiny toast things with cheese, they are addictive. I think it's a glob of mayo and parm baked onto the toast.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dino. posted:

Olives, pickles, hummus and pita, cucumbers, carrot sticks, or crackers, roasted nuts ...

The easy stuff is so delicious and not too terribly filling before the meal itself.

Thanksgiving means deviled eggs for me. Also, pickles and carrot sticks.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Well, I made the dough and it's currently resting in the fridge:

It's like no cookie dough I've ever experienced. It's glistening, and a bit sticky, and it tastes amazing, like butterscotch or toffee. I just hope it bakes as well as it tastes!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gerblyn posted:

It's like no cookie dough I've ever experienced. It's glistening, and a bit sticky, and it tastes amazing, like butterscotch or toffee. I just hope it bakes as well as it tastes!

They really are the best cookies I've ever made-nothing comes close.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Gerblyn posted:

It doesn't at all look like Kenji's pictures either!

On a whim, I ended up following Kenji's steps but using the New York Times ingredients and proportions.

The dough is delicious, I'll be tag teaming it to my girlfriend the ice cream wizard to make cookie dough ice cream. Then we'll see how the actual cookies come out. :3:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Jan posted:

It doesn't at all look like Kenji's pictures either!

On a whim, I ended up following Kenji's steps but using the New York Times ingredients and proportions.

The dough is delicious, I'll be tag teaming it to my girlfriend the ice cream wizard to make cookie dough ice cream. Then we'll see how the actual cookies come out. :3:

The dough above looks like it was mixed a little long, but the fridge time should help. Yours looks amazing and I think I know what I'm taking to volunteer duty on Saturday...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

detectivemonkey posted:

The dough above looks like it was mixed a little long, but the fridge time should help. Yours looks amazing and I think I know what I'm taking to volunteer duty on Saturday...

I checked out images in the SE article and I think you might be right, I did the mixing by hand trying to be extra careful too :( Oh well, hopefully it won't have too much of a negative effect!

Edit: I think also the dark sugar we get here (it's called Dark Bastard Sugar, which is an amazing name) is actually different from the dark sugar the recipe refers too. Would explain why my dough is so dark compared to the articles and Jan's.

Edit 2: apparently the English name is muscovado sugar. It still tastes fine, though I guess the chemistry is probably a bit different...

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 17, 2015

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
My go to for cookies is just the Good Eats Chewy:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe.html

It's pretty foolproof, and everybody goes nuts over them. The recipe actually looks pretty close to the Serious Eats one, so they're probably fairly similar.

One thing I've found is that they get better as they sit in the container. Straight out of the oven they're crispy outside, very soft inside, but as they sit the moisture level seems to even out and you get that perfect chewy cookie.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I need some mailable holiday gift recipes guys! Last year, I sent my family flavored salts and sugar and the wiki's mango habanero hot sauce, which they loved. This year I've got sweet and savory nuts, marshmallows, and maybe some jarred soup mix, but for that last one I'm afraid it's just gonna sit in my parents' pantry.

What do you like to make, or what do you like to receive in your holiday package from your loved ones?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Personally I always love receiving those assorted little bottles of quality flavored olive oils and vinegars, because they're always nice to have on hand but not typically stuff you'd buy for yourself.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

kinmik posted:

What do you like to make, or what do you like to receive in your holiday package from your loved ones?

I've been toying with the idea of making my own chocolate truffles. I looked it up and I was surprised at how easy they are to make. You're essentially just making ganache, flavouring it with something like brandy or orange zest, then dipping balls of it in something like crushed nuts, coconut or melted chocolate. There seems to be a lot of freedom to flavor and decorate them, and make something fancy looking, without really having to do anything all too complex or fiddly, except maybe a tempered chocolate coating.

Note there's an awful lot of "seems" and "should be" here, I'm yet to try it myself :v:

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 18, 2015

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So I just remembered that a couple weeks ago I volunteered to handle the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving with my family this year. For like twenty years we've been doing the mashed sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows on top, and I'd like to do something more interesting.

My first inclination is that my family wouldn't be too into anything non-European in style, but they've surprised me before. I'm pretty able in the kitchen, I'll have all day to prepare it and I like a challenge. Any recipes or general guidance would be appreciated.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Truffles sound legit for my friends, but I suppose it would also help to mention that my brother and brother-in-law are trying to watch their weight, and my sister is gluten-intolerant. :v:

Great idea exquisite, my dad is crazy for his bread and oil. Garlic infused oil has the potential to be super unsafe (if you're a dumbass like me), right? What about herbed oils, or ones with chili? Those should be less likely to kill my family I suppose.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

kinmik posted:

I need some mailable holiday gift recipes guys! Last year, I sent my family flavored salts and sugar and the wiki's mango habanero hot sauce, which they loved. This year I've got sweet and savory nuts, marshmallows, and maybe some jarred soup mix, but for that last one I'm afraid it's just gonna sit in my parents' pantry.

I always do candied pecans and hot chocolate mix. This year I'm considering granola and maybe fruit butter(s). Flavored sugar is a great idea.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
Fruit butters are dead easy- I make an apple-pear one in the crock pot that requires almost no attention, and when you pack them into the short, stocky mason jars, it's very easy to make pretty- a circle of cloth tied over the top with pretty twine, a cinnamon stick, whatever. You look like Martha Stewart for less than an hour of work.

Homemade granola would be nice, but you'd want to invest in good containers to keep it dry and uncrushed, which might take some of the economic edge out of homemade gifts unless you luck out at the dollar store.

There are several varieties of cookie that travel well- shortbread and chocolate chip come to mind- and if you decorate a pringles can it makes a very good shipping container.

Seconding truffles- so so so so easy, and if you splurge a little on fancy coatings it looks like a million bucks. I did a chili-dark chocolate last year that I rolled in King Arthur golden sparkling sugar and people insisted I must have bought them. They are delicate to ship, so again, a good container, and the little foil baking cups work better than paper because the paper sometimes gets greasy-looking if the shipment isn't kept consistently cold.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Last year I made Irish cream and put them in those mason jars with handles. Cheap, easy and good gifts.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Fruit butters are dead easy- I make an apple-pear one in the crock pot that requires almost no attention, and when you pack them into the short, stocky mason jars, it's very easy to make pretty- a circle of cloth tied over the top with pretty twine, a cinnamon stick, whatever. You look like Martha Stewart for less than an hour of work.

Homemade granola would be nice, but you'd want to invest in good containers to keep it dry and uncrushed, which might take some of the economic edge out of homemade gifts unless you luck out at the dollar store.

I've actually just mailed granola in ziplock bags surrounded by newspaper and it worked great. I was thinking fancier plastic baggies with pretty ties.

I did a plum butter for myself a while back that was amazeballs, and then I was going to experiment with vanilla-pear, too.

But I think my family would revolt if I didn't make my trademark ancho chili pecans. I've been told fights have broken out.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

poop dood posted:

So I just remembered that a couple weeks ago I volunteered to handle the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving with my family this year. For like twenty years we've been doing the mashed sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows on top, and I'd like to do something more interesting.

My first inclination is that my family wouldn't be too into anything non-European in style, but they've surprised me before. I'm pretty able in the kitchen, I'll have all day to prepare it and I like a challenge. Any recipes or general guidance would be appreciated.

Boil and mash them but instead of dairy add coconut milk and red curry paste. Deeee-licious

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chilli oil is really good, looks very nice and is super easy without appearing so...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also chilli sauce!

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 18, 2015

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Sweet potatoes au gratin!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

pile of brown posted:

Boil and mash them but instead of dairy add coconut milk and red curry paste. Deeee-licious

That sounds yummy. I usually do mashed with cardamom and orange juice (plus butter and cream of course!).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Roasting a chicken tonight and cannot find my drat meat thermometer. How long should I roast a 6.5 pound chicken, or should I do something else tonight and just buy a new thermometer tomorrow

Lilleman
Feb 12, 2014
So I have a couple of half dried chili peppers lying around from a plant we had that sadly died. I have about 40 but they're hot as hell so I probably wont be using all of them.
Came here to ask if you guys had any good recipes for Hot Sauce or Chili sauce of just about any kind! :)

Edit: I can't spell.

Lilleman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 19, 2015

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I have a stack of green beans; I want to do something different with them. Usually, I cook them with a bit of water and soya sauce, then add an onion and some slivered almonds.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

Roasting a chicken tonight and cannot find my drat meat thermometer. How long should I roast a 6.5 pound chicken, or should I do something else tonight and just buy a new thermometer tomorrow

I cooked a chicken of nearly identical size about 45 minutes on each side, breast and back, over a roasting pan full of veggies with a tarragon/thyme butter mashed under the breasts, and spread over the back at flipping time. 450 F oven. You may want to overshoot that a bit just to be safe.

It's a roast chicken, so it won't necessarily be inedible dry and bad if it's overcooked some. You can and should make a pan sauce or gravy with the drippings to mask any overcooking. I was lazy and added about 3 oz of box white wine along with cutting board drippings from the rest period and about half a container of boxed broth, and thickened with some onions I caramelized then blended till slightly chunky and Wondra (told you I was being lazy).

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Writer Cath posted:

I have a stack of green beans; I want to do something different with them. Usually, I cook them with a bit of water and soya sauce, then add an onion and some slivered almonds.

I like them sauteed with anchovies and garlic. Or roasted and tossed in tarragon.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Quick question for tonight's dinner. For puttanesca sauce, when do you add the capers and olives? I'm assuming at the end?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Quick question for tonight's dinner. For puttanesca sauce, when do you add the capers and olives? I'm assuming at the end?

Yes. Though it can be nice to crisp up the capers in a bit of oil real quick before adding them as a sort of garnish.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Writer Cath posted:

Fossolia?
Ethiopian dish using tomato paste, onion, garlic, ginger and carrots.
E: some recipes say use fresh or tinned tomatoes, but you really want to fry some tomato paste for it's concentrated umami.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 19, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I want to make Kenji's stuffing waffles for thanksgiving, but I have a Muslim guest. What's a good replacement for sausage?

I looked at turkey sausage at the grocery, and one brand said it had pork casings which is immediately out. Another said it had "collagen" casings. Is that synthetic?

Is ground turkey any different from turkey sausage?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I want to make Kenji's stuffing waffles for thanksgiving, but I have a Muslim guest. What's a good replacement for sausage?

I looked at turkey sausage at the grocery, and one brand said it had pork casings which is immediately out. Another said it had "collagen" casings. Is that synthetic?

Is ground turkey any different from turkey sausage?

Collagen is like gristle and tendons and things, it could come from any animal, though in the case of turkey sausages you'd hope it came from turkeys!

Anyways, the easiest way to tell if something's suitable is if it's marked as "Halal". Round here, I'd just go to a muslim/turkish butcher, but I guess you don't have one in your area?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, easiest way is to go to a halal butcher. If you don't have one, make your own sausage meat with ground meat, breadcrumbs (fine type, not panko), spices, herbs etc, sauce to bind. E: you remove casing in the recipe, so does it matter and wouldn't it be easier to make your own "sausage meat" mix anyway? Just use a rissole or meatball recipe

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 19, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You should be able to cook a chicken without a meat thermometer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scientastic posted:

You should be able to cook a chicken without a meat thermometer.

A 3 pound chicken, sure. I've never cooked one this big before though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lawnie posted:

I cooked a chicken of nearly identical size about 45 minutes on each side, breast and back, over a roasting pan full of veggies with a tarragon/thyme butter mashed under the breasts, and spread over the back at flipping time. 450 F oven. You may want to overshoot that a bit just to be safe.

It's a roast chicken, so it won't necessarily be inedible dry and bad if it's overcooked some. You can and should make a pan sauce or gravy with the drippings to mask any overcooking. I was lazy and added about 3 oz of box white wine along with cutting board drippings from the rest period and about half a container of boxed broth, and thickened with some onions I caramelized then blended till slightly chunky and Wondra (told you I was being lazy).

This sounds right. For a 6-7 lb chicken (which is usually what I end up with from the store) It takes around 1.5 hrs at 425-450F to be done.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Just FYI I made a holiday cooking/gifting megathread for all your halal stuffing needs.

Steve Yun, I would use well-seasoned ground turkey or chicken (dark meat) mixed with a little added fat like schmaltz or duck fat or even butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a trick to finely chopping a bell pepper? Should I unroll it, so to speak?