Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

clamiam45 posted:

OK, so my game plan is cruise EVGA B Stock website for 970, 980 and Ebay for R9 290 and R9 290X? Sounds good if so, thanks.

Edit:

So looking through GTX 970 B stock, should I go with what I guess is an even older 04G-P4-1972-RX or 04G-P4-1970-RX? Or wait for a newer 397x model? I'm not familiar with how often B stock is refreshed.

B-stock goes out of stock quickly, just get a 2xxx model, it won't OC quite as high as the really good 970s but it's still going to be very fast and at $250 it's a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

BTW, Fury is actually at a price that makes it worth it.

With the discount and the game, you might snag the card for 440-460$.

Wow, holy poo poo, and it's also the Sapphire Tri-X, too. Yes, this is a good value, if one can afford it. The cooling performance that a completely unobstructed third fan provides (owing to the shorty-short board) is surprising.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

OK, so my game plan is cruise EVGA B Stock website for 970, 980 and Ebay for R9 290 and R9 290X? Sounds good if so, thanks.

Edit:

So looking through GTX 970 B stock, should I go with what I guess is an even older 04G-P4-1972-RX or 04G-P4-1970-RX? Or wait for a newer 397x model? I'm not familiar with how often B stock is refreshed.

-197x- are the loud blower boxes, avoid them unless you need extra heat removal for SLI or the like.
It's updated whenever they get new stock from return or the step up program, and the 'good' model go really fast.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rhaka posted:

Is there a European equivalent of these B-stock sales? Getting a new 970 sets me back anywhere from €350,- to €400,- which seems a bit much to pay for them right now. I tried buying one used from the local auction site but got hosed and lost my money, so I'm rather eerie about buying used now... And I think I'd get hosed on shipping/import fees if I order through the regular B-stock site.

If you're in the UK, OCUK tends to have some decent deals, I think.

You can use a package-forwarding service, if you like, but you'll pay import duties and maybe VAT? I'd imagine that's where a good chunk of the price difference comes from.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Rhaka posted:

Is there a European equivalent of these B-stock sales? Getting a new 970 sets me back anywhere from €350,- to €400,- which seems a bit much to pay for them right now. I tried buying one used from the local auction site but got hosed and lost my money, so I'm rather eerie about buying used now... And I think I'd get hosed on shipping/import fees if I order through the regular B-stock site.

EVGA have a European B-store too:

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

970s for €280-ish.

Only thing is they all appear to be using the crappy cooler mentioned earlier (ACX 2.0).

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you're in the UK, OCUK tends to have some decent deals, I think.

You can use a package-forwarding service, if you like, but you'll pay import duties and maybe VAT? I'd imagine that's where a good chunk of the price difference comes from.

In Holland, actually, but close enough. And yeah, the import duties and so on completely obliterate the otherwise great savings when ordering electronics from outside of europe.

xiansi posted:

EVGA have a European B-store too:

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

970s for €280-ish.

Only thing is they all appear to be using the crappy cooler mentioned earlier (ACX 2.0).

Oh, awesome. I tried to find the EU store but apparently I am poo poo. Will definitely stalk this for a bit. How big of a deal is it to get the crappy cooler? €120,- worth of a deal? Don't suppose it can be replaced with an aftermarket cooler of some sort?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rhaka posted:

In Holland, actually, but close enough. And yeah, the import duties and so on completely obliterate the otherwise great savings when ordering electronics from outside of europe.

Oh, awesome. I tried to find the EU store but apparently I am poo poo. Will definitely stalk this for a bit. How big of a deal is it to get the crappy cooler? €120,- worth of a deal? Don't suppose it can be replaced with an aftermarket cooler of some sort?

Your option for an aftermarket one is pretty much just waterblocks for custom liquid cooling loops, so not cheap at all. The lovely cooler is fine when you are getting that sort of discount, the 970 is a cool, quiet card to begin with so the crappy cooler does not have a huge impact, you'll just get a lower overclock than a nicer card would get you.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Ah, okay. I wasn't really planning on fiddling with OCs too much anyway--mainly I just really need to replace the ancient 7700 that's holding the rig back, and the 380 I previously bought has some poo poo driver issues with one of my main pc games (FFXIV) AMD doesn't seem in a hurry to fix.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rhaka posted:

Ah, okay. I wasn't really planning on fiddling with OCs too much anyway--mainly I just really need to replace the ancient 7700 that's holding the rig back, and the 380 I previously bought has some poo poo driver issues with one of my main pc games (FFXIV) AMD doesn't seem in a hurry to fix.

I have a 970 and play FFXIV and it runs great with everything maxed out on my 1920x1200 monitor, so you should be just fine with a 970 in your system.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Rock on.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Your option for an aftermarket one is pretty much just waterblocks for custom liquid cooling loops, so not cheap at all. The lovely cooler is fine when you are getting that sort of discount, the 970 is a cool, quiet card to begin with so the crappy cooler does not have a huge impact, you'll just get a lower overclock than a nicer card would get you.

There's also the option of an NZXT G10 adapter and any old cheap AIO liquid cooler, but that'll bring you pretty close back up to the original price.

Back when I had one of AMDs jet-engine cards, these were a thing:

http://www.quietpc.com/gel-icy-vision

but that doesn't fit a 970 by the looks of it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So when are the 16nm cards coming out?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

So when are the 16nm cards coming out?

Somewhere between next spring and fall, I'm guessing September or so.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it's also worth noting that those early ACX2.0 cards have a 4+2 phase VRM, while the later models went to a 6+2. That helps the overclocking as well as the cooler. It's not €125 worth of difference but it does help a little.

If they have a B-stock site in the EU, assuming it works like the US they periodically refresh their stock. The better quality units are fractionally more expensive but sell out quick.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 18, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How are resale values on high end gpu's when the new model comes out? Friend of mine sold his old Titan Z and bought a Titan X with enough £££ leftover for his wife's system to get a 980ti. Is he correct in proclaiming that the *80ti's and titan's historically hold their value over a couple of years as long as you buy a well known brand like MSI or ASUS because someone, somewhere, will want to SLI it or replace a dead card when they gently caress up overclocking. I tried to point out the Z has full fp64 for why it's used price has actually increased but he shrugged that off as no use for gaming.

I sort of asked this before as part of another question but didn't see this part answered.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Verizian posted:

How are resale values on high end gpu's when the new model comes out? Friend of mine sold his old Titan Z and bought a Titan X with enough £££ leftover for his wife's system to get a 980ti. Is he correct in proclaiming that the *80ti's and titan's historically hold their value over a couple of years as long as you buy a well known brand like MSI or ASUS because someone, somewhere, will want to SLI it or replace a dead card when they gently caress up overclocking. I tried to point out the Z has full fp64 for why it's used price has actually increased but he shrugged that off as no use for gaming.

I sort of asked this before as part of another question but didn't see this part answered.

780 Tis went according to their gaming value rather than their compute value. For a handy reference on what that meant for pricing, they lost about half their value overnight when the 970 came out. For people replacing dead cards they'd be getting a 970 or 980, it's entirely compute users keeping value high for Titans, while the reason people pick up a second last gen card is because the new hotness drove the price down.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
For more perspective on gpu resale value.

When the gtx 900 series came out, I sold my GTX 680 for $150. When the 700 series came out, I bought it used for $360. The 900 series tanked the value of all other generations by several hundred dollars. The only exception being Titan cards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't have numbers but if you want to sell, it's definitely best to watch for rumors of an imminent launch and sell it before the announcement. Those usually happen at conferences/expos.

It can be a bit between announcement and availability, and it's even longer before they stop pumping the early adopters and start dropping prices. Typically the new hotness launches as a halo product (Titan X, Fury X) for a time before we get the reasonably-priced consumer variant, then there's a rush on supply, and finally 6 months later the prices have started dropping for realsies. So it could easily be 4Q 2016 or 1Q 2017 before we have a 1080 Ti.

So don't forget to think about Plan B for the period between when you sell and when you buy in again. If you don't have a GPU you'll be happy playing on in the interim, I'd think seriously about watching for a cheapie midrange card, like a B-stock 780 Ti ($180) or a 290 (aim for <=$200) / 290X (<=$250) or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 18, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have numbers but if you want to sell, it's definitely best to watch for rumors of an imminent launch and sell it before the announcement. Those usually happen at conferences/expos.

It can be a bit between announcement and availability, and it's even longer before they stop pumping the early adopters and start dropping prices. Typically the new hotness launches as a halo product (Titan X, Fury X) for a time before we get the reasonably-priced consumer variant, then there's a rush on supply, and finally 6 months later the prices have started dropping for realsies. So it could easily be 4Q 2016 or 1Q 2017 before we have a 1080 Ti.

So don't forget to think about Plan B for the period between when you sell and when you buy in again. If you don't have a GPU you'll be happy playing on in the interim, I'd think seriously about watching for a cheapie midrange card, like a B-stock 780 Ti ($180) or a 290 (aim for <=$200) / 290X (<=$250) or something.

Huh, did the Titan X come out before the 750 Ti?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It didn't. The Titan X launched around the time of the 970/980. 750ti was a thing that stuck around for a year before that as Nvidia's mobile chip testbed.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Somewhere between next spring and fall, I'm guessing September or so.

That would be two full years after the release of the 970/980, which would be a significantly longer than usual delay. Is there any specific reason to believe it's going to take that long?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

MaxxBot posted:

That would be two full years after the release of the 970/980, which would be a significantly longer than usual delay. Is there any specific reason to believe it's going to take that long?

It appears to be issues with HBM2 production ramping up to a scale Nvidia thinks will make for a fluid release. The thinking is AMD wants to beat Nvidia to the market, but with Nvidia having such a dominate position it can afford to go slower and stick the landing instead. There may or may not be also considerations about GDDR5X, since the 150-250$ market is lucrative enough that forgoing might make ones midrange cards unappealing all things considered equal. Finally, TSMCs 16nm readiness for GPU production may be holding things up.

It's all speculation and rumor right now though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

It's been a two year delay for a while now, you had Fermi, then Kelper then Maxwell all separated by 2-2.5 years depending on how you want to count things. Before that there was a 3 year gap between Tesla and Fermi, I don't think the delay is all that unusual when we are going to be moving to a new process and a new architecture with Pascal.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The longer it takes the less bad I feel about buying like 10 900 series cards :)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-380x-official-performance-price-specifications/

The 380X is claimed to bring 10% higher average fps than a (undoubtedly stock) 960 on AMD's own press benchmarks.
Any kind of overclock or custom card and you can say hello to 250 Watts.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Will GeForce Pascal cards likely be available with 12GB+ RAM from the start, or will these come later?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sauer kraut posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-380x-official-performance-price-specifications/

The 380X is claimed to bring 10% higher average fps than a (undoubtedly stock) 960 on AMD's own press benchmarks.
Any kind of overclock or custom card and you can say hello to 250 Watts.

I thought the 380x is supposed to be a chunk more power efficient than the 390, it's a newer architecture right? 380x TDP is 190 watts, for comparison the 390 is 275 watts.

On the other hand, the GTX 960 that AMD themselves claim they're 10% better than is a TDP of 120 watts, so yikes, I didn't realize the watts to performance was *that* bad for AMD.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure they've shifted to releasing generations with the midrange part so they can milk the hell out of people who have to have the best with the x80 part, and then come out with the big halo part to hit them again with the Titan/Ti part. Also because it does make sense to use the smaller chips to start new architectures/nodes.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Will GeForce Pascal cards likely be available with 12GB+ RAM from the start, or will these come later?

HBM2 is a new tech, it's going to be pricey. I doubt it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

Pretty sure they've shifted to releasing generations with the midrange part so they can milk the hell out of people who have to have the best with the x80 part, and then come out with the big halo part to hit them again with the Titan/Ti part. Also because it does make sense to use the smaller chips to start new architectures/nodes.

Yeah, it does totally make sense to lead with a midrange part (x80) or even the low-end part (x50 Ti) so you can prototype your architecture and figure out if it's got an unexpected bottleneck.

I'm not sure if history is going to be a 100% accurate guide here, because my impression is that AMD is going to be leading with trump, Greenland. I wouldn't be astonished to see either a Titan Q or a 1080 as NVIDIA's lead play, in response.

It'll be interesting, because everyone is doing a node shrink and NVIDIA is also doing their first HBM design.

Cingulate posted:

I think a Titan Q will probably have 12-16 GB, a 1080 Ti will probably have 8 GB, and a 1080/1070 will have 4-6 GB.

I don't think HBM is going to make it into the lower-tier parts, particularly if they have supply issues. I think rumored supply issues are probably overblown at this point but I'm not counting them out.

I'm not betting either way on the midrange 1080 part but I think AMD is likely to release an enhanced or die-shrunk Fury part in that space, which may push NVIDIA to do HBM there too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 19, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
All the rumour sites I've seen pointed at GP100 using HBM2 with 16GB baseline prosumer Titan and/or Ti flagship cards in Q2 and a 32GB Quadro/Tesla monster for fuckloads of cash later in the year when HBM2 supply is more stable. GP104 is the GDDR5x compatible chip for everything below Ti.

Is there any reason they couldn't just use two or three of the 4GB HBM2 modules on an intro GP100 card? Do they have to go with 4x4GB OR 8x4GB as kitguru and the rest are all claiming?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

I thought the 380x is supposed to be a chunk more power efficient than the 390, it's a newer architecture right? 380x TDP is 190 watts, for comparison the 390 is 275 watts.

On the other hand, the GTX 960 that AMD themselves claim they're 10% better than is a TDP of 120 watts, so yikes, I didn't realize the watts to performance was *that* bad for AMD.

AMD's basically trying to use one architecture to compete both in desktop graphics (traditional pipeline) as well as consoles. All the modern consoles are (high-end, customized) AMD APUs while NVIDIA has a specialized desktop-graphics architecture (Maxwell) and hawks Kepler in the compute space (which they absolutely dominate, and which is no more efficient than GCN is). AMD's bet is that DX12 and Vulkan are going to have a very compute-like workload, since bare-metal and asynchronous workloads let the console guys (where they dominate, and where hardware is cheap and lovely) squeeze more out of the hardware. For AAA games and name-brand game engines it's a reasonably solid bet.

That said the efficiency improvements of Tonga are overblown. It does make some solid improvements in tesselation performance over Hawaii, but it's basically an incremental improvement. AMD's been running more-or-less the same architecture since Tahiti and Pitcairn and just bolting crap on when they need more. For a company that's trying to economize on engineering resources (design, driver support, etc) it makes sense, but honestly the efficiency/performance advantages of GCN 1.2 over an equivalent amount of GCN 1.1 cores just isn't that great. GCN 1.0 (Tahiti and Pitcairn) is starting to get seriously long in the tooth at this point, though. As much as the 285 wasn't really a suitable replacement for the 280/x (all it really improves on is transistor density, tesselation, and color compression), AMD did need to give GCN 1.0 a dirtnap.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 19, 2015

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I think the 380x will flop if it comes in at $250 for non reference coolers. Really need to be around $220 since you have been finding 290s/970s between 230 to 270.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think their pricing pays any mind at all to the used prices/aftermarket.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Are the M295X/395X basically just power binned (and presumably lower clocked?) versions of the 380X?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

japtor posted:

Are the M295X/395X basically just power binned (and presumably lower clocked?) versions of the 380X?

Basically. Although possibly not even power-binned, since Apple was basically buying up 100% of the Tonga XT crop.

The distinction used to be that the 285 was Tonga Pro (chips with defective units) and Apple got all the Tonga XTs. If AMD was binning Tonga XT then that implies there was somewhere for the lower-binned units to go. If they went somewhere, it was probably Apple desktops. Or Apple might have been doing it themselves.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 19, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not betting either way on the midrange 1080 part but I think AMD is likely to release an enhanced or die-shrunk Fury part in that space, which may push NVIDIA to do HBM there too.

Wasn't Fiji a native 20nm design but then got cut back to fit into 28nm? If they can stack HBM1 higher than 4GB then it's solid reasoning to assume Fury X now is going to be the 490X in 2016. I guess this wouldn't be making a new GPU as well.

But I'm still betting on Tonga because it'd be weird as hell to have the high end have worse tessellation performance and fewer features than the 480/470 but then, it hasn't stopped AMD before.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Is a 950 a decent upgrade over a 560Ti?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

a retard posted:

Is a 950 a decent upgrade over a 560Ti?

It's not a huge upgrade, I'd save up for a 380 and keep an eye out for sales instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's not a huge upgrade, I'd save up for a 380 and keep an eye out for sales instead.

Tell me if I've got this right

Sub 100$: HD 6970, HD 7850 or R7 360
Sub 100$, low profile: GT 740 GDDR5
Sub 150$: GTX 750 Ti, R7 370, HD 7950*
Sub 150$, low profile: GTX 750 Ti
Sub 225$: R9 380, R9 290*, GTX 780*
Sub 300$: GTX 970*, GTX 780ti*, 290X
Sub 400$: GTX 970, GTX 980*
401$ and up: 980 Ti, Fury*

*Second hand, B-Stock, Sale.