Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

S'not fair. Flares and artillery strikes replenish at Sanctuary's inventory, why doesn't the Brotherhood give me Fusion Cores? C'mon, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I love how there's still useful items all over the place, tons of undisturbed skeletons. It's like you're the first person to ever explore the wastes. Bethesda really wants fallout to take place like maybe a generation after the bombs fell.

Whether the bombs fell a year ago or 200 years ago all useful resources would be picked clean anyways - people are smart, they'd get that poo poo on lock down as soon as it was safe to venture outside. It wouldn't take a year for settlers to clean up a space the size of Megaton either, much less 200. I'm sure Bethesda realizes this.

So what I'm seeing here is Bethesda crafted the worlds of Fallout 3 and 4 to match a certain gloom-and-doom post-apocalyptic aesthetic and simulate the feeling of combing through rubble and scavenging treasure from the old world without realizing that what their fans reeeeally want is settlements with perfectly groomed lawns and blasted ruins filled with absolutely nothing because someone smarter than you scavenged it already to rebuild civilization. While we're at it, let's address all the ridiculous ways radiation seems to have effected the world when in reality it wouldn't remain a threat past the first few years, if that. And the deathclaws. And power armor. And super mutants. And FEV. And laser weaponry. And---

---or we could just suspend our disbelief over a work of science-fantasy for a second and accept the things that make the game a more interesting place to explore at face value.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I know most people dislike the male voice actor but drat does he have some rare good deliveries. Talking to Zeke at Atom Cats is amazing, for example. The way John Fallout exclaims "I'm hip!" in a total dad tone and then meekly asks "...Fat City?" like he's afraid to hear the answer, all the while wearing X-01 power armor

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

Whether the bombs fell a year ago or 200 years ago all useful resources would be picked clean anyways - people are smart, they'd get that poo poo on lock down as soon as it was safe to venture outside. It wouldn't take a year for settlers to clean up a space the size of Megaton either, much less 200. I'm sure Bethesda realizes this.

So what I'm seeing here is Bethesda crafted the worlds of Fallout 3 and 4 to match a certain gloom-and-doom post-apocalyptic aesthetic and simulate the feeling of combing through rubble and scavenging treasure from the old world without realizing that what their fans reeeeally want is settlements with perfectly groomed lawns and blasted ruins filled with absolutely nothing because someone smarter than you scavenged it already to rebuild civilization. While we're at it, let's address all the ridiculous ways radiation seems to have effected the world when in reality it wouldn't remain a threat past the first few years, if that. And the deathclaws. And power armor. And super mutants. And FEV. And laser weaponry. And---

---or we could just suspend our disbelief over a work of science-fantasy for a second and accept the things that make the game a more interesting place to explore at face value.

Majority of people just like use caps, maybe they are dumb. Maybe the entire population of Boston has low int.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part of suspension of disbelief is up to the creator. Comicbook radiation and mutated monsters are easy, because that's part of apocalyptic fiction (and it's interesting). There's literally no reason to set a story 200 years later and have it look like the next day. It's like starting a story with "It was a dark and stormy night. The sun was shining brightly." That's not the player's fault for not suspending disbelief, it's the writer's fault for sloppy storytelling.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minorkos posted:

I know most people dislike the male voice actor but drat does he have some rare good deliveries. Talking to Zeke at Atom Cats is amazing, for example. The way John Fallout exclaims "I'm hip!" in a total dad tone and then meekly asks "...Fat City?" like he's afraid to hear the answer, all the while wearing X-01 power armor

The best line of voice acting I've ever heard was John Fallout talking to a cat. It brought a tear to my eye.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlkCGG3Gi18

53 seconds in. So good.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 19, 2015

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Vargs posted:

You press the use button while aiming at them and they stand there and put their hands up. If you shoot them by accident they'll go hostile again. If you have the higher rank of the perk, you can use it again to get them to side with you. I didn't spend much time at all with rank 2 but it felt a little finicky. Maybe you need to be closer for that part to work?

I didn't particularly like it. Your cursor needs to be directly on them for it to trigger, and at that point why not just shoot them instead? Especially since you need to wait around to see if it worked, which it often doesn't and you've just wasted a few seconds while he and his buddies continue to lay into you. Maybe it's better on survival where it could be really useful to have a potential damage spongy guy on your side, but on hard it just seems like a waste of effort.

Anyways, does anyone know exactly how to get that railroad upgrade that lets you improve your underarmor? So far I've done some "main" stuff for them, all 6 of those dead drop Randolph missions, 2 missions for PAM, and god knows how many of Tinker Tom's weathervanes. At this point there doesn't seem to be anything else except the repeatable weathervane quests. And still, I can't upgrade military fatigues or anything of the sort. Someone mentioned that when that stuff unlocks, Tom starts selling "armored" items, which he has not done. I'm getting pretty annoyed at this point.

Did you get the DIA quest from PAM? That's how I got it

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The best line of voice acting I've ever heard was John Fallout talking to a cat. It brought a tear to my eye.

The one you return to Vault 81? Yeah, it was perfect.

His gutteral scream when he takes psycho is also delightful. The female VA doesn't really sell it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Deified Data posted:

The one you return to Vault 81? Yeah, it was perfect.

His gutteral scream when he takes psycho is also delightful. The female VA doesn't really sell it.

It makes for some fun moments, especially if you slip up in the inventory screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4ILzgFfUA (Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled on minor main quest detail, kind of forgot)

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 19, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sector_corrector posted:

Part of suspension of disbelief is up to the creator. Comicbook radiation and mutated monsters are easy, because that's part of apocalyptic fiction (and it's interesting). There's literally no reason to set a story 200 years later and have it look like the next day. It's like starting a story with "It was a dark and stormy night. The sun was shining brightly." That's not the player's fault for not suspending disbelief, it's the writer's fault for sloppy storytelling.

Setting it 200 years later effectively just means that it's not in living memory. No one cares about canon except spergs. Especially for games that the developer didn't even make.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Setting it 200 years later effectively just means that it's not in living memory. No one cares about canon except spergs. Especially for games that the developer didn't even make.

You're a loving moron.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kimmalah posted:

It makes for some fun moments, especially if you slip up in the inventory screen.

First time I used it was actually after this same dialogue as soon as combat initiated, so it was awesomely appropriate.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
So what "underarmor" can actually be upgraded? I'm still using the vault suit 20 hours in......

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't see what people are complaining about, Fallout 4 makes it pretty clear that all of the junk in looted buildings reappears within a couple of days after being cleared out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

The jetpack is something that I was considering speccing into power armor later in the game to get, so it's really funny to see how badly they hosed it up.

Wait for mods that add a non-power-armour jetpack.

Rocket boots in Boston would be pretty radical.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is it better to have armor penetration or outright damage?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Jesus, this 200 years thing is still a big deal for some people?

It's funny/cool seeing the reactions of the NPCs when you tell them you're from pre-war

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't see what people are complaining about, Fallout 4 makes it pretty clear that all of the junk in looted buildings reappears within a couple of days after being cleared out.

Really, the Chinese did us all a favor.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

Anyways, does anyone know exactly how to get that railroad upgrade that lets you improve your underarmor? So far I've done some "main" stuff for them, all 6 of those dead drop Randolph missions, 2 missions for PAM, and god knows how many of Tinker Tom's weathervanes. At this point there doesn't seem to be anything else except the repeatable weathervane quests. And still, I can't upgrade military fatigues or anything of the sort. Someone mentioned that when that stuff unlocks, Tom starts selling "armored" items, which he has not done. I'm getting pretty annoyed at this point.

Since there have been a lot of people confused about this poo poo and maybe they're in the same situation as me, I'd like to mention that I just did some poking around and tested some stuff out for myself and it seems likely that I've bugged this out by not doing some railroad quests in the exact correct arbitrary order. I opted to use this guide to add ballistic weave to my clothing, except ballistic weave seems extremely picky about what it can be placed on, for no good reason. It's fine with Dirty Army Fatigues and Military Fatigues, but none of the underarmor clothing that I like the look of worked.

So in the end I just said gently caress it and used the following commands to gain the benefit artificially:
player.modav energyresist 115
player.modav damageresist 110

This seems to persist just fine through level ups, putting perks into resistances, and entering + exiting power armor. I also did it to my follower by clicking on her in the console and removing the "player." portion of those commands, but it's not so easy to see if those changes will stick around forever. Could lose it when I dismiss her or something, but I'll never know without any way to see her current armor values.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 19, 2015

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Does anyone know if building more artillery pieces increases the amount of shells fired in an artillery strike? Is there any point in having more than one per settlement outside of aesthetics?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Elderbean posted:

Is it better to have armor penetration or outright damage?

I think armor pen, high armor pen weapons still destroy me even when I'm rocking 1800~ DR. Of course, not all enemies have tons of DR, so it probably varies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luminaflare posted:

Does anyone know if building more artillery pieces increases the amount of shells fired in an artillery strike? Is there any point in having more than one per settlement outside of aesthetics?

I've been wondering this and I think it fires a bit faster with 2 than 1? They do alternate with each other when firing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hellfaucet posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here, goon made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSw6iDSujg

:gizz:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Deified Data posted:

First time I used it was actually after this same dialogue as soon as combat initiated, so it was awesomely appropriate.

Yeah I just now noticed it's a bit spoilery but I can't edit quotes so uh no one click it if they're really concerned about not knowing the name of the killer guy from the vault. :doh:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

They set it 200 years later so we could explore cultures and settings that were built and influenced by the wasteland, not pre-war America.

They littered it with loot to make it visually interesting and give players motivation to explore.

If they set the game the day after the bombs fell there would be no distinct wasteland cultures or history. If they made everything as clean and orderly as it surely would be 200 years later (or even a year, or months), there'd be no game - you'd move into a walled city and spend the rest of your life growing vegetables and treating your tumors because all the raiders killed each other off and couldn't organize in any meaningful way without first settling down and producing something which would remove their need to raid in the first place. So we can have an orgy of death and looting a day after or a sterile world not so dissimilar from the boring one we currently inhabit 200 years later. Or we can suspend our disbelief, because the setting is fun. Bethesda did their part of the work in building a work and showing us some of its moving pieces and how they interact, where they came from, and where they're headed. Now's it's your turn to realize how easy it is to accept one "comic book" element once you've accepted another, and another, and another. It makes no sense to accept deathclaws and residual radiation 200 years later but not the equally pulpy notion that post-apocalyptic wastelands look like garbage heaps because that's what people like imagining them as. It's as much a part of the genre as mutants and magical radiation.

This seems like a petty concern to me. Like there's not enough complaints about the game itself so we have to resort to criticizing its premise.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Loved clearing the Castle.

(Steps on mirelurk nest)
(Mirelurk hatching bites me)
(Get three molotovs thrown right at me by my troops)

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I found a suit of T50!

Neat.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Protons posted:

I found a suit of T50!

Neat.

What does it look like?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I was sneaking around and spotted a raider through VATS. Went in and killed him with a sneak baseball bat only to discover he was kneeling over another raider laid to rest in a grave and now I feel bad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I was sneaking around and spotted a raider through VATS. Went in and killed him with a sneak baseball bat only to discover he was kneeling over another raider laid to rest in a grave and now I feel bad.

Nah, he always attacks on sight anyway. Just a dick mourning another probable dick.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah don't feel bad about grave guy, he instantly snaps out of his grief to murder you.

Phanatic posted:

Loved clearing the Castle.

(Steps on mirelurk nest)
(Mirelurk hatching bites me)
(Get three molotovs thrown right at me by my troops)

Now I don't feel even a little guilty about firing those nukes at Preston in that fight.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

They set it 200 years later so we could explore cultures and settings that were built and influenced by the wasteland, not pre-war America.

They littered it with loot to make it visually interesting and give players motivation to explore.

If they set the game the day after the bombs fell there would be no distinct wasteland cultures or history. If they made everything as clean and orderly as it surely would be 200 years later (or even a year, or months), there'd be no game - you'd move into a walled city and spend the rest of your life growing vegetables and treating your tumors because all the raiders killed each other off and couldn't organize in any meaningful way without first settling down and producing something which would remove their need to raid in the first place. So we can have an orgy of death and looting a day after or a sterile world not so dissimilar from the boring one we currently inhabit 200 years later. Or we can suspend our disbelief, because the setting is fun. Bethesda did their part of the work in building a work and showing us some of its moving pieces and how they interact, where they came from, and where they're headed. Now's it's your turn to realize how easy it is to accept one "comic book" element once you've accepted another, and another, and another. It makes no sense to accept deathclaws and residual radiation 200 years later but not the equally pulpy notion that post-apocalyptic wastelands look like garbage heaps because that's what people like imagining them as. It's as much a part of the genre as mutants and magical radiation.

This seems like a petty concern to me. Like there's not enough complaints about the game itself so we have to resort to criticizing its premise.

Lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should read what you've written, out loud, to yourself.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sorry, I'm still new. I don't know who to bother replying constructively to yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Nah, he always attacks on sight anyway. Just a dick mourning another probable dick.

Mourning? Or attempting to teabag?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
He's entirely right though. Realistically depicting 200 years after a nuclear war is a stupid concept desired only by spergs.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Sorry, I'm still new. I don't know who to bother replying constructively to yet. Thanks for the heads up.

You're a dipshit, so you'll fit right in here. Say hello to your new friend, Mr. Bibs.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

"Well I could write a story that's internally consistent, or I could write some bullshit to make a deadline and have fans defend it"

-What game writers are probably thinking given the rise of the internet.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
In hindsight I think it would have been more fun to just scavenge mods instead of taking all these crafting perks. I haven't crafted all that often, and it would have made the stuff I came across more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deified Data posted:

This is Something Awful, it's better not to spend two-hundred words when twenty will do.

I'll sum up the bulk of your post for you: "I think the setting is fun enough to run around in that I'm willing to give it a break for how stupid it all is when you stop and think about it for even a second."

And the last bit: "I'm going to add that extra dash of condescension just because I can."

• Locked thread