Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've been getting into a game I found called Battle Brothers. Its a neat little thing about being a mercenary group roaming around an overworld (A la' Mount And Blade) and clashing with groups of bandits, orcs, undead, and recently goblins in a turn based strategy on a hex grid. They're also close to a huge release revamping the overworld to be a lot more interesting.

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a thread for it. Is it just merely unknown at this point?

http://battlebrothersgame.com/ The website/blog. Game itself is on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
cloud was often kind of brokenly good in the PSP Dissidia games because characters like he and Onion Knight had HP attacks that could branch from brave attacks, removing much of the strategy involved in the combat

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Thanks for the recommendations! Now that this conversation has me really pumped to give SotN another spin (after I get my paycheck and buy it for PSN), I'm gonna at least hunt for a copy of Aria of Sorrow for GBA. Hope it isn't a super rare game or something.

vvvv I have an SP, so I'll be fine :D

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 19, 2015

ManaJerk
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
Circle of the moon was the best out of the portable Metroidvanias, except If you had a first gen Game Boy Advance and couldn't see poo poo, I guess. Otherwise it was fun and actually difficult!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I goddamn loving love dissidia

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Puckanas posted:

Circle of the moon was the best out of the portable Metroidvanias, except If you had a first gen Game Boy Advance and couldn't see poo poo, I guess. Otherwise it was fun and actually difficult!

The original GBA launch was a fun time, you had a Castlevania that you couldn't see because the screen was too dark and a Rayman that you couldn't play because they blew the sprite up to be visible on a portable screen at the expense of fitting on platforms and dodging attacks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ekster posted:

Games are bad.

wrong, idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whA9AB8b_sQ

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I think I said this before but you know how all Castlevania games throw in remasters of excellent classic tracks from older games as a little treat for longtime and new players alike?

Circle of the Moon has more of those on its soundtrack than any other game in the series iirc. Just one of the reasons why it owns and is tragically underrated.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New Call of Duty game looks to be tackling some controversial subject matter

Heavy Lobster posted:

Why do so many people dislike Portrait of Ruin while giving Dawn of Sorrow a pass? I've been replaying both recently and couldn't bring myself to finish DoS, but have been enjoying Portrait more than I remembered.
1) DoS had the last good Dracula's Castle (well not Dracula's but eh) that was a giant interconnected map instead of a hub world or final stage

2) DoS had the last good Julius Mode - better than Richter Mode or Albus Mode

3) PoR started recycling all the painting stages

4) PoR is really, really anime, more so than even DoS - and DoS was a game where Soma had a Japanese girlfriend and Alucard pretended to be a Japanese businessman named Genya Arikado. Like in PoR they meet the more cartoonishly redesigned Death and their dialogue just consists of "You're evil so we're going to kick your rear end" lines straight out of shounen superhero manga. DoS was melodramatically anime in service of making Soma take up the Dracula mantle again, but it wasn't nowhere near as bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is the ds valkyrie profile (covenant of the plume, i think) as good as the first 2 games?

SE should stop loving up and puts the first game on psn

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Real hurthling! posted:

is the ds valkyrie profile (covenant of the plume, i think) as good as the first 2 games?

lord jesus no

do not touch it it is bad

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Something else that bugged me about Portrait of Ruin is that there's a big story related optional boss battle at the end of the game to get Johnathan the Vampire Killer and it's supposed to have serious consequences or something. But it's entirely optional, all it does is give you a more powerful whip, and it doesn't even effect the ending in the slightest.

Even deciding to purify the shopkeeper gives you a slightly different ending, come on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hubris.height posted:

lord jesus no

do not touch it it is bad

Hm? I've heard that it's really good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
really? i have never heard anyone say a good thing about it, and my experience playing it ended pretty abruptly out of bordem

i'm sure that there is depth and interesting things happening eventually, maybe, but it just wasn't for me. especially on a platform with so many amazing games like the 3/ds.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Something else that bugged me about Portrait of Ruin is that there's a big story related optional boss battle at the end of the game to get Johnathan the Vampire Killer and it's supposed to have serious consequences or something. But it's entirely optional, all it does is give you a more powerful whip, and it doesn't even effect the ending in the slightest.

Even deciding to purify the shopkeeper gives you a slightly different ending, come on.

To be fair, the effect of getting the whip to its most powerful state is more long term than the end of the game, and told to you when you do it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nasgate posted:

To be fair, the effect of getting the whip to its most powerful state is more long term than the end of the game, and told to you when you do it.

Yeah, I guess I was just expecting at least a nod to it in the ending or last boss fight, or something. It's just kind of funny you can beat it without getting it at all and there's nothing like, 'wow I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with that lovely curse'. :v:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I really hope that Lord of Shadows and the new Castlevania universe that came with it dies so we can get back to the more classic setting.

This weepy sadtimes Dracula is for the birds and the ending to Lord of Shadows 2 is the dumbest thing in the world.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Citizen Kane of videogames was among us all along.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

SE should stop loving up and puts the first game on psn

It's good but insanely hard and nothing like the first two games. It's an SRPG with the gimmick being that you can permanently sacrifice characters to gain huge power boots for that stage, which you're supposed to abuse during your first time through the game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I really hope that Lord of Shadows and the new Castlevania universe that came with it dies so we can get back to the more classic setting.

This weepy sadtimes Dracula is for the birds and the ending to Lord of Shadows 2 is the dumbest thing in the world.

castlevania is totally dead. thanks pachinko but also lords of shadow 2 being terrible

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

castlevania is totally dead. thanks pachinko but also lords of shadow 2 being terrible

yeah gently caress konami.

igavania is off doing Bloodstained and konami's only new core castlevania game since Lords of Shadow 2 is that lovely erotic violence pachinko game. we may see a lovely castlevania cell-phone game, but castlevania is essentially dead in the water.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

theultimo posted:

And Anarchy Online

They really need to remake this game :smith:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Dawn of Sorrow has a cut character who was a salaryman who threw in with the bad guys to get ultimate riches and when you entered the boss room to fight him he would find out that he had won the lottery and would run off, completely abandoning them and vanishing from the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically my thoughts about the three DS games are:

Dawn of Sorrow: Best overall castle and since it's essentially an upgraded form of the soul system from Aria (which was great) it's a pretty great overall package. Biggest downside is drawing the seals, which came at a time when the DS was still sort of in its infancy and wanted to shove touch screen controls everywhere, though once you sort of figure out the only thing that matters is that you do them quickly once you start and that accuracy isn't that big of a deal they're not so hard. I guess the story is worse and/or the character portraits are more generic but I couldn't care less about any of that, I play these games for exploring those castles and making the JRPG numbers bigger. Its CV3 mode is by far the best extra mode of the three games.

Portrait of Ruin: I liked the boss fights in this one more than Dawn, but overall I think it falls slightly below Dawn in every other category (castle isn't quite as good, the partner gameplay mechanic isn't as good as the soul system, extra mode isn't as fun). Richter mode is a solid extra mode but not as good as Julius' in Dawn. I still really like exploring the castle and portraits, the music is still amazing, etc. so the sum of its parts is still a blast.

Order of Ecclesia: Pretty much everything about it is perfect except for Albus Mode which is my least favorite extra mode in the three games, it just was so low effort. Except for his battle with Drac which is one of the most entertaining boss fights in the franchise IMO. Anyway, it's easily my favorite of the three games because of how challenging it is combined with the sense of exploration harkening back to CV2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AC Syndicate launched for PC today. I am playing it right now but first its forcing me to watch a couple hours of cutscenes. Am I in for a world of hurt? How bad is this game?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

AC Syndicate launched for PC today. I am playing it right now but first its forcing me to watch a couple hours of cutscenes. Am I in for a world of hurt? How bad is this game?

I have no first hand impressions but it generally seems like a return to form for the series. And at the very least the console versions haven't had any major bugs outside of the usual open-world jank.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

I have no first hand impressions but it generally seems like a return to form for the series. And at the very least the console versions haven't had any major bugs outside of the usual open-world jank.

I did just push a dude off a moving train.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dragon Quest Heroes is coming to Steam how did I not know this :monocle:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410850/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Castlevania is pachinko because it is dead. Not the other way around.

Good post. DoS and OoE are close ties for me. Dawn easily has the best map in the entire genre this side of Super Metroid and its classic mode is so loving good. The whole drawing seals thing isn't too bad because they're all fairly simple designs and you only have to do it a handful of times (which, unfortunately, includes landing the final blow on bosses). Between it and the ice breaking power I'm actually pleased that they didn't go to more to hell with the touch gimmicks so early in the systems life. Good game all around IMO.

Order's gameplay is really good. The Sorrow games are kind of like SotN in that they're a little slow paced and you can get away with using the strongest weapons, but OoE is really fast and encourages you to put a little more thought in your weapon choices. The map and classic mode falls a little flat, so I tend to favor DoS over it.

Portrait, on the other hand, I was so disappointed with that I traded it in as soon as I finished it...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
gently caress it, I'm done with Fallout 4 I think. It's just too goddamned boring to continue all of a sudden.

I got 50 hours out of it so I'm not going to complain about money spent, but I never had this problem with 3 or NV. Maybe mods will fix the problem.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome Welles posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is coming to Steam how did I not know this :monocle:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410850/

Less then two weeks too. I feel like I knew this already but didn't expect it so soon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycU6UnRrLss

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Didn't we already get the Untold Story we were promised?

And wasn't it released two years ago as "The Banner Saga"?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

gently caress it, I'm done with Fallout 4 I think. It's just too goddamned boring to continue all of a sudden.

I got 50 hours out of it so I'm not going to complain about money spent, but I never had this problem with 3 or NV. Maybe mods will fix the problem.

You playing anything else or just Fallout 4? I find it pretty easy to burn out on Bethesda games if I don't have anything else to act as a palette cleanser.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

You playing anything else or just Fallout 4? I find it pretty easy to burn out on Bethesda games if I don't have anything else to act as a palette cleanser.

I do, it's just a slog. Combat isn't very engaging because the enemy AI is so simplistic and all the cool conversation stuff that existed in the old games is gone, so...

I've still got Vermintide though, and the December update is gonna be great!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Welcome back game legislation we missed you!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pegi-to-adjust-age-ratings-for-virtual-reality-games/0159302

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

replaying alpha protocol

threatened to murder an innocent woman, got a perk for it, leveled up mid conversation

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

replaying alpha protocol

threatened to murder an innocent woman, got a perk for it, leveled up mid conversation

alpha protocol made me feel bad being a jerk to madison. she's probably the only one that you can't interpret as a jerk if you want

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

im trying to piss off literally everyone this playthrough

mina is kinda hard to get angry unless youre an out and out psychopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

im trying to piss off literally everyone this playthrough

mina is kinda hard to get angry unless youre an out and out psychopath

I had Mina absolutely despise me last play through, it was amazing

• Locked thread