Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

Lurdiak posted:

All you nerds that keep complaining that there's no news about the game, Frankie is streaming work on the game live as usual.
E: He has ended his stream to spite me.

Whoops. Well there's still the recorded stream, though parts of it are muted because of Twitch's Dad Rock Censorship.
http://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow/v/25469447

I've been working on tuning up the players sprites, poses and weapon sprites for held gun's in the past weeks. All work around what the player looks like when holding up a gun and firing. Haven't been streaming most of it because its really slow, tedious, boring work. Drawing guns in all 8 directions, Shifting them around a few pixels, tweaking where bullets are spawned depending on the gun and direction, changing how the sprites are layered etc. But I basically finished it tonight, really happy with that!

All guns used a handful of ugly sprites rotated around the player axis before, now they got proper drawn directions with perspective and are held differently, looks a lot better. Also did stuff like animating the gatling guns, revolvers, etc. There's still a little bit of work left on this, like some gun materials need different/unique sprites, but I can move on to slightly more fun work for a little bit at least.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cabbagepots posted:

Please put a guest character from Ro-Kyu-Bu motherfuckin BASQUASH in this game. Talk to Japan and set up a meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqgOVJQWSE

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

im a big fan of how he hasn't posted for eleven months
he still posts....... on RPG Codex :mrgw:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FrankieSmileShow posted:

... Drawing guns in all 8 directions...

You just got Fired, now the game will never come out :(

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

All you nerds that keep complaining that there's no news about the game, Frankie is streaming work on the game live as usual.

E: He has ended his stream to spite me.

Manually spriting all that poo poo is completely loving nuts, 2023 sounds reasonable. Had a friend try basically the same thing for a game he was working on in his spare time before deciding that it would make more sense to spend the first year just fleshing out some tools to speed up the process, then most of that year in he decided that it still wasn't worth it and 90% of the enemies/NPCs became geometric shapes because he wanted to have something playable before the earth fell into the sun.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
I'm not drawing unique 8-direction sprites for all 2000+ gun's. Just a handful of sprites for each big gun type, like pistols, rifles, SMGs.
I have a "generic" set of them that I use for most gun material variants (steel, iron, etc), and I'm making a more blobby set for all the more shapeless materials like polenta and soy weapons. More unique-looking sets might be needed for some of the materials, but that will be later. Those generic sprites are drawn in white, and color-blended so they look a little bit closer to their "real" image in the hud.
I also made a set of sprites that are just "spots" that can be layered over a regular weapon set and given a separate color blend, so I can have a regular-looking steel weapon with rusty orange spots for the rusty gun's, or green spots for the rotten gun's. I might make another set that are just highlights of specific parts of each gun's like the stock or barrel, so I can make dual-color materials (like the plastic gun's, which are mostly pink and blue) look better.

This is almost all done, just have a few more set variants left to draw. All the basic ones are in, for every gun type, so I can move on for now. Its not going to look perfect in the player character's hands, some gun's are going to look alike or be very off-model, but its going to at least make it a bit more obvious to the player which of your current gun's you have in your hands, out of your regular arsenal, without having to glance down at your hud. And it definitely looks much better than what we had before.

Its very close to how Diablo 2 handled equipment drawn onto the player character, just layering some more generic sprites and giving them a slight color blend to fit them together, with a few more unique pieces having their own sprites too. Doesn't look exactly right, but your player sprite at least responds to the different equipment sets, and that looks better.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Diablo 2 is kinda interesting because they pretty blatantly used 3d models but then output it to sprite files. That's not too related to what you said because ultimately they used sprites and the technique you said.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he still posts....... on RPG Codex :mrgw:

Why, it's almost as if Something Awful has become completely irrelevant!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BiggerJ posted:

Why, it's almost as if Something Awful has become completely irrelevant!
will Barkley 2 have a "Relevance System" where you must fulfill the arbitrary sidequests of trunkpump 2.0 in order to increase your KKKlouChullan score?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/Pope_Hentai/status/662002431341936640

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hey ToG Rat, answer your email from djh! Thank you.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Node posted:

Hey ToG Rat, answer your email from djh! Thank you.

which rat do you mean? there is nothing but disgusting rats working in ToG, you must elaborate.

PS. if you mean any US based tog rats, they usually slumber all day, then come out to yawn and leave shortly after to waste KS money on everything but barkley2 before going back to bed

those loving slackers

:argh: :argh:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When isn't this game coming out?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nanomashoes posted:

When isn't this game coming out?

Today! You can't download it here:

http://www.talesofgames.com/game/barkley-2-revenge-of-cuchulainn/

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Q4 2013 :smugjones:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Gortarius posted:

which rat do you mean? there is nothing but disgusting rats working in ToG, you must elaborate.

PS. if you mean any US based tog rats, they usually slumber all day, then come out to yawn and leave shortly after to waste KS money on everything but barkley2 before going back to bed

those loving slackers

You guys still have kickstarter money?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

we're nearing the 4 year anniversary of that press kit

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gortarius posted:

those loving slackers

The contact@talesofgames.com address.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It would be nice to get a serious response on the state of the game and its potential future that wasn't "lol its not coming out/its going to be garbage".
It feels like everyone was laughing and joshing about it for years and then recently its started to wear thin and the smiles are brittle.

I don't want a refund or anything and I'm not going to start going on about your duty to my quids, I'd just like to know what is the state of the sequel to one of my favourite RPGs; beyond "we have finished brainstorming affixes" type minutia.

gently caress it, I'll wait either way but the ironic devposts and disconnected updates were only funny for so many years.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 18, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the state is really bad adn its never going to come out

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

nopantsjack posted:

It would be nice to get a serious response on the state of the game

Sure.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
well from the pax demo tir na nog, the wasteland, sewers, and the swamps are done or nearly so. theres also brain city which is still being made afaik and the areas surrounding it, plus various dungeons and whatnot still. these are being kept secret for the most part so they could be done already. good news is all the basic mechanics are in they just need to be balanced. bad news is with a loot-based game that may take a while, plus the game still needs quite a few art assets and maps take a while to make since they're going for a very high level of quality (the "three tile rule").

also looks like music and writing are done or mostly so, they're just working on implementing things.

this is the last stage of development before serious testing begins so it shouldn't be too far out, i'm guessing another year at most depending on how finished the unshown areas are.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

nopantsjack posted:

It would be nice to get a serious response on the state of the game and its potential future that wasn't "lol its not coming out/its going to be garbage".
It would also be nice if entropy stopped and everyone could be infinitely happy forever. If you want not-joke's, :getout:.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

nopantsjack posted:

It feels like everyone was laughing and joshing about it for years and then recently its started to wear thin and the smiles are brittle.

I don't want a refund or anything and I'm not going to start going on about your duty to my quids, I'd just like to know what is the state of the sequel to one of my favourite RPGs; beyond "we have finished brainstorming affixes" type minutia.

gently caress it, I'll wait either way but the ironic devposts and disconnected updates were only funny for so many years.

Here's some footage a guy took from a playable demo at this year's PAX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkb1xQQZmTQ

There was also a "Story" video that I haven't really watched much. It seems to me like they're making good progress, but I'm not on the team or anything so take that with a grain of salt I guess. :shrug:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

nopantsjack posted:

It's weird, man. The only reason we even know the game is probably still being worked on is because the losers happen to post here - the last monthly newsletter was sent over a year and a half ago. They have zero presence on their own website or Twitter or really anywhere. they've offered no explanations for what's going on or what we can even expect as far as actually playing the game goes

and you can't even give them the benefit of the doubt that they're just heads-down-working because the updates they are sharing are super pathetic. like wow, you're drawing rotated gun sprites instead of just rotating a single one. great, definitely sounds like you're on the final lap! keep up the good work that should have been completed literally years ago

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
an active social media presence is not required to develop a game

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

obstipator posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SirPenguin posted:

It's weird, man. The only reason we even know the game is probably still being worked on is because the losers happen to post here - the last monthly newsletter was sent over a year and a half ago. They have zero presence on their own website or Twitter or really anywhere. they've offered no explanations for what's going on or what we can even expect as far as actually playing the game goes

and you can't even give them the benefit of the doubt that they're just heads-down-working because the updates they are sharing are super pathetic. like wow, you're drawing rotated gun sprites instead of just rotating a single one. great, definitely sounds like you're on the final lap! keep up the good work that should have been completed literally years ago

I hope you didn't bother donating. God drat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

obstipator posted:

Honestly, the expectation that a small team can do so and still get the job done is just about the biggest thing wrong with crowdfunding these days.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

SirPenguin posted:

the last like 20 pages were them taking suggestions for weapons which to any not-retard should have set off a big rear end red alarm about how unfinished the game is but everyone tripped over themselves to regurgitate the same 6 year old memes instead

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While I would also enjoy an update from the edutainers, I suspect they're waiting for this thread to get real angry to fill up Truckpump 2.0.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

obstipator posted:

an active social media presence is not required

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In any case, it's more than likely that funding for the game ran out years ago and the devs have been working full-time and developing B2 as a side project for a long time.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Hi I've never played the original game or had any interest in the sequel. I just noticed the kickstarter is ~4 years old and I wanted to ask: is this a real thing? did it come out? was anything produced after dev got paid? Thank you for the answers to these questions.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Liquid Penguins posted:

is this a real thing?

presumably

Liquid Penguins posted:

did it come out?

not yet

Liquid Penguins posted:

was anything produced after dev got paid?

theres been a demo shown at some gaming conventions. one of the art guys streams game art sometimes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Will ToG be at PAX East?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
I still want a gun that will be my friend and buddy and will talk to me as i shoot monsters and tell me that im doing a good job

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ryaomon posted:

the last like 20 pages were them taking suggestions for weapons which to any not-retard should have set off a big rear end red alarm about how unfinished the game is but everyone tripped over themselves to regurgitate the same 6 year old memes instead

SirPenguin posted:

We have some real negative normans in this thread all of a sudden.

You don't just add all the gun mods and then begin making a game. It turns out you don't even need gun mods or a gun's system to do the rest of the game. It is a fairly isolated system. The coder is probably adding the gun mods and we already know they have a scripting system for quests and more completed so the people making levels and quests and junk can still do it while he's coding gun mods.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 19, 2015

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Nessus posted:

While I would also enjoy an update from the edutainers, I suspect they're waiting for this thread to get real angry to fill up Truckpump 2.0.

I wonder how many of my posts are in there. I'm willing to bet, all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

obstipator posted:

I would like to point out it is a crowd-funded project so updates to backers is expected.

I have a hunch that they don't want to admit they have no idea when they'll finish or something like that.