Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Greentop Nursery is suddenly under attack by an army of super mutants that I just can't defeat. I've got 14 settlers with guns and turrets and we're just getting loving demolished every time I reload and I have no idea what to do about it. I've got a 90 damage laser rifle that takes about eight shots to kill a loving mutant hound.

Why did I ever start building settlements? I have no time to do actual quests. I just don't have the resources to build enough defenses and I don't have time to actually do other quests between having to run around solving kidnappings and stopping random attacks by insane roided-out super mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is "50 Minute Man" supposed to be a thinly veiled reference to blowing your load? Because, for some reason, I find that song a lot more weird and disturbing/distracting than "Butcher Pete".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cyclomatic posted:

Apparently there is a "wrong" way to salvage resources where you lose most of the resources and a correct way where you get all the resources.

Can anyone explain this?

It could be referring to that savager perk, where you get screws/copper, and laser bits you wouldn't get without the perk, but that only applies to weapons, not settlement stuff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish settlements didn't auto-lose if you didn't show up. Every time I show up, my turrets and citizens mow down the enemies needing no help at all, then I leave. But if I don't show up they automatically lose half their population or what ever. It would be nice if they actually did a little math or simulated the attack in some way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

M42 posted:

Can someone explain why my pipboy is so zoomed out? It was fine on my first character, then I started another and it's like this. Right click doesn't move it much, restarting game/computer didn't help :confused: It's a pain in the rear end to read anything on it.

On the console version you can shift this with one of the thumbsticks iirc. This bugged me for a while as well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Theta Zero posted:

I actually liked his nervous bumbling. It sounded pretty genuine, like a real person who was terrible at being a radio DJ was commentating. It was endearing, in a train wreck sort of way.

Agreed.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is "50 Minute Man" supposed to be a thinly veiled reference to blowing your load? Because, for some reason, I find that song a lot more weird and disturbing/distracting than "Butcher Pete".

It's 60 minute man and yeah, it's about loving: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixty_Minute_Man

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seriously spent half of my playtime in the past three days defending settlements, rescuing kidnapped settlers, and generally doing everything I can not to lose all my settlers and have a quest log full of failed quests. It's honestly making me want to stop playing and never load this game up again until someone comes out with a "settlements can at least try to defend themselves" mod.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Harrow posted:

Greentop Nursery is suddenly under attack by an army of super mutants that I just can't defeat. I've got 14 settlers with guns and turrets and we're just getting loving demolished every time I reload and I have no idea what to do about it. I've got a 90 damage laser rifle that takes about eight shots to kill a loving mutant hound.

Why did I ever start building settlements? I have no time to do actual quests. I just don't have the resources to build enough defenses and I don't have time to actually do other quests between having to run around solving kidnappings and stopping random attacks by insane roided-out super mutants.

You can always just ignore it and it will work itself out. Your settlement may need some repair work afterwards.

Alternately, with that many settlers you could just get good because you should be able to handle this. Craft yourself some cover real quick.

In case people don't know how to use cover: get behind something and push up against it until you lower your gun. You have to be near the edge of whatever you're hiding behind. When you aim you'll automatically lean out.

As far as I know this is never explained.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you're ever unsure what a song is about the answer is pretty much always loving.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyclomatic posted:

Apparently there is a "wrong" way to salvage resources where you lose most of the resources and a correct way where you get all the resources.

Can anyone explain this?

If you move an item with multiple components (duct tape, for instance) to your workshop storage, and then use one of those components in a mod (adhesive, for instance) both the cloth and the adhesive of the duct tape get destroyed. This is more of an issue for things like advanced circuit boards, that give you a lot of good poo poo.

However, if you throw all of your trash on the ground, go into workshop mode, and highlight it with your cursor, then there will be an option to scrap it to component parts instead. That lets you get everything out of the item, although it's a fairly tedious process.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

titties posted:

You can always just ignore it and it will work itself out. Your settlement may need some repair work afterwards.

Alternately, with that many settlers you could just get good because you should be able to handle this. Craft yourself some cover real quick.

In case people don't know how to use cover: get behind something and push up against it until you lower your gun. You have to be near the edge of whatever you're hiding behind. When you aim you'll automatically lean out.

As far as I know this is never explained.

I can't. I've already seen what happens if it fails: 0 settlers.

I just... this is absurdly frustrating. I can't even go get power armor and come back because if I fast travel to Sanctuary to get my power armor I fail the defense, and my most recent save before I have to rush over there to defend them is far enough back that I'd feel actively punished for having to load it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bunky posted:

It's 60 minute man and yeah, it's about loving: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixty_Minute_Man

Whoops. On my phone, didn't bother checking the name.

I think I'd like Diamond City radio more if they mixed up the vocal tracks with instrumentals or slightly varied genres of music (maybe have Django Reinhardt or Thelonious Monk?). The veiled "tee hee this song is actually about SEX in 50s slang!" gets overdone after Butcher Pete IMO.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's less thinly veiled and more outright stating what it's talking about.

It's really weird given the kind of stigma that media from that era was "safe" and inoffensive, but a there's a surprising amount of novelty songs that are somewhat vulgar even by today's standards.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

I can't. I've already seen what happens if it fails: 0 settlers.

I just... this is absurdly frustrating. I can't even go get power armor and come back because if I fast travel to Sanctuary to get my power armor I fail the defense, and my most recent save before I have to rush over there to defend them is far enough back that I'd feel actively punished for having to load it.

Just bump the game down to very easy, take care of the threat, and then put it back to what it was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now the settlers went hostile to me on my latest attempt because one of them jumped in front of me while I was trying to shoot a super mutant and got turned into green goo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm coming up on hour 60 of my first play through and just quick traveled to the Diamond City market to sell off some lovely "special" weapons I couldn't scrap when the guard you always teleport in next to made some quip, only this time he said something like "I can't believe it's Christmas again already." And low and behold I check my Pip-Boy and it's 11:14AM on December 25th, 2287. They even salvaged some decorations and strung up lights all around the market:

Why is the Bethesda team so good at building worlds but so terrible about writing people to put in them?

Makes me wonder what other time sensitive things they put in.

poo poo like this is why I can't believe it when people act like Bethesda is some lazy, piece of poo poo dev. Despite the glitchiness they really do put a ton of love into the worlds they create.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Please remember nothing will ever stand up to FISTO.

Nothing will stand after FISTO either! BAM!

titties
May 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

I've seriously spent half of my playtime in the past three days defending settlements, rescuing kidnapped settlers, and generally doing everything I can not to lose all my settlers and have a quest log full of failed quests. It's honestly making me want to stop playing and never load this game up again until someone comes out with a "settlements can at least try to defend themselves" mod.

Let them die, getting more settlers is as simple as turning your beacon back on.

sector_corrector posted:

If you move an item with multiple components (duct tape, for instance) to your workshop storage, and then use one of those components in a mod (adhesive, for instance) both the cloth and the adhesive of the duct tape get destroyed. This is more of an issue for things like advanced circuit boards, that give you a lot of good poo poo.

However, if you throw all of your trash on the ground, go into workshop mode, and highlight it with your cursor, then there will be an option to scrap it to component parts instead. That lets you get everything out of the item, although it's a fairly tedious process.

This has been discussed so many times that it's hard to remember exactly where we ended up on it, but I want to say that it is just some UI issue or supply-line-tallying fuckery that is making it display incorrectly and you're not actually losing anything. When crafting in a new settlement from my supply line stock I can see the leftover bits of copper and whatever in the workbench afterwards.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have supply lines, and I'm pretty sure I tested it at the start of the game by clearing out my stuff and making a single mod, and that it did indeed consume everything. I'd prefer if you're right because it means less time pressing square on trash.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

If you're ever unsure what a song is about the answer is pretty much always loving.

Nah sometimes it's about drugs

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If I remember correctly it was decided it was a UI bug, it would not show the item as being there or the materials but the extra materials would be there when you went to craft and eventually they would show up on their own.

This game really does not like my nice guy playthrough, it just keeps spawning people who I should be able to talk to as hostile and ruining questlines for me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeron posted:

If I remember correctly it was decided it was a UI bug, it would not show the item as being there or the materials but the extra materials would be there when you went to craft and eventually they would show up on their own.

This game really does not like my nice guy playthrough, it just keeps spawning people who I should be able to talk to as hostile and ruining questlines for me.

Ah, that's really annoying, but it saves a lot of time. Thanks for letting me know.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not strictly 1950s music, but Tiger Rag by Django Reinhardt, Powerhouse by Raymond Scott, and One o' Clock Jump by Count Basie would be solid additions to even out the vocals tracks on Diamond City radio to accompany my perforation of enemy skulls in the Commonwealth.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

poo poo like this is why I can't believe it when people act like Bethesda is some lazy, piece of poo poo dev. Despite the glitchiness they really do put a ton of love into the worlds they create.

Why? Because if you look two feet to the right you'll see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eq-AWy7qAw

Why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

Why.

I'm legitimately curious, what large-scale games actually feature in-depth eating animations for nameless NPCs in the environment? Like I can understand some criticism but I can't recall any game that doesn't do this or something close to do this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Reason posted:

My radio is called "foobar2000" I can play almost any music I want on it without caring what a game developer decides to add, its pretty cool.

I know, I know, have the exact same radio.I also do podcasts n poo poo. Still.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Odobenidae posted:

Why.

Subpar noodle animation? Wow what a tragedy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Odobenidae posted:

Why.

Yeah, the game has it's less than beautiful aspects. I'm just saying it still looks like about as much effort was put into this game as any other released this year overall.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

The noodles should be physics enabled.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm legitimately curious, what large-scale games actually feature in-depth eating animations for nameless NPCs in the environment? Like I can understand some criticism but I can't recall any game that doesn't do this or something close to do this.

The sims.

titties
May 10, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I don't have supply lines, and I'm pretty sure I tested it at the start of the game by clearing out my stuff and making a single mod, and that it did indeed consume everything. I'd prefer if you're right because it means less time pressing square on trash.

Honestly I don't really know. I always hoard in these games and it's hard to tell if I lost 1 or 2 out of hundreds of a specific material. I'm not even sure if my supply lines are working all the time, it doesn't seem like it.

Also, here are some places that may or may not glitch out and crash the game when you get sent to them for quests:

-Cambridge Police Station or wherever you go for the beginning Brotherhood quests
-Monsignor Plazza when sent there for a settlement quest
-Cambridge area north of BATF office during Silver Shroud

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
the product owner decided noodle animations were not the most important feature for this release.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FormatAmerica posted:

the product owner decided noodle animations were not the most important feature for this release.

neither were a lot of other things based on their quality

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

Why.

aside from they not modeling noodles being eaten, thats really not notably bad.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

It's actually a really good animation. It shows someone trying to eat noodles with chopsticks for the first time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Already goofing around with alts.

Meet Dottie, the wasteland mom.

I feel like she should really have a Minnesota Nice voice as she tries to befriend Bloatflys and 10 CHA her way to peaceful solutions.

Anyway I ran across an interesting Random Encounter on her. I heard shots and came across a friendly Scavenger fighting raiders. After we won he told me not to touch the hatch, whatever's down there is his. I looked around and indeed, there was a basement style hatch nearby.

Huh, that's odd. Why does it say "Detonate" on mouseover?

Well... I don't know what I expected.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FormatAmerica posted:

People call Bethesda lazy a lot but I think that's unfair, I don't doubt that they work like demons, but they prioritise vista views and loot caves with emotionally placed skeletons. They know games also have to contain things like animations and stories and they get round to those when they can, but they have to do a lot of loot caves and vistas so everything else naturally ends up a bit half-baked.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress if I know. I'd guess the problem is that you either spend too much time on stupid animations like that, don't do it at all, or say "gently caress it" it and publish the rough copy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else get crashes when you invest in shops, sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Generic Monk posted:

and, y'know, the metro book

This is from way back but Metro 2033 the book was inspired by Fallout. :eng101:

• Locked thread