Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The way he's been written the last 5 years, nobody will miss Hank McCoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Suffer not a Beast to live. Not one, from any timeline. Destroy them all.

Long live Scott Summers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought Extraordinary X-Men #2 was a vast improvement over #1. I got a kick out of the Limbo relocation 'cuz it hearkens back to the ridiculous schoolground antics during Wolverine and the X-Men.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Die Laughing posted:

Old Ice Man and Beast know their days are numbered.

Old Iceman is too bland and ineffective to die. He'll probably just retire, find some nice dude, and be Your Gay CPA.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Gay Wizard Iceman will split off from Self-loathing Closet Monster Iceman in the last acknowledgement the future x-men from that crossover ever gets.

All three Icemen continue to be boring.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 19, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I mean, I'm gay, and if I could split off from my terrible closet case issues to become a fabulous ice wizard I know I would. Your theory checks out from top to bottom.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

BrianWilly posted:

I thought Extraordinary X-Men #2 was a vast improvement over #1. I got a kick out of the Limbo relocation 'cuz it hearkens back to the ridiculous schoolground antics during Wolverine and the X-Men.

Yeah at first I thought X-Haven was going to be stupid if it was X-Men loving off to another planet again but sending the school into hell is actually awesome in every way.

Also I like how when we're cutting to New York, we'll get specific districts of New York like Manhattan or Brooklyn. Old Man Logan drinking in a bar? It's in Manitoba. Just, somewhere there. Winnipeg? Winkler? Flin Flon? Nah, just Manitoba. The cold trailer-y part I guess.

Other side note: still not a fan of the artist's rendition of Magik. The bangs are just such a small detail but they've been her thing ever since she's been a major character. She just doesn't look right without them.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

kdrudy posted:

Hey guys, mutants are done, no more of them

Until a famous person wants to write an X-men book.

Late on this, but Bemis wrote a pretty good comic already (Oh, Killstrike, an affectionate parody/homage of gritty 90s XTREME fare). I'm game for this, regardless of celebrity nepotism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Some people clearly remember it.

I forgot already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I forgot already.

That's because you drink too much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

Yeah at first I thought X-Haven was going to be stupid if it was X-Men loving off to another planet again but sending the school into hell is actually awesome in every way.

Also I like how when we're cutting to New York, we'll get specific districts of New York like Manhattan or Brooklyn. Old Man Logan drinking in a bar? It's in Manitoba. Just, somewhere there. Winnipeg? Winkler? Flin Flon? Nah, just Manitoba. The cold trailer-y part I guess.

Other side note: still not a fan of the artist's rendition of Magik. The bangs are just such a small detail but they've been her thing ever since she's been a major character. She just doesn't look right without them.

Yea. Magik really should have the icy Russian Supermodel look, and without the bangs it just doesn't work.

Hopefully Jean will be more tactful than Kitty in dealing with potential boyfriends being mutant bigots. I also like how the dudes "I'm not a Mutant i'm and Inhuman!". Also I love how its Old Logan and Young Jean.

Oh and the splash of the dead X-men at Logan's feet was brutal. There were clearly body parts everywhere, not just bloody corpses, they where in pieces.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That's because you drink too much.

I'm FINE.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You'd think Tony Stark of all people would be able to afford something better than Canadian whisky.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

You'd think Tony Stark of all people would be able to afford something better than Canadian whisky.
Hey, you don't make money by spending it!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized that with Scott out of the Picture, there's no one to stand between Jean and Logan, just that ones like 17 and the other is like 200.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That has never stopped him before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I realized that with Scott out of the Picture, there's no one to stand between Jean and Logan, just that ones like 17 and the other is like 200.

It worked for Buffy & Angel.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Rhyno posted:

It worked for Buffy & Angel.

C'mon, Cyclops would be Angel and Wolverine would be Spike.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

team overhead smash posted:

C'mon, Cyclops would be Angel and Wolverine would be Spike.

Nah, Sabertooth just sort of got a "soul" so he fits the narrative better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine is not nearly terrible enough to be Spike.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Plot twist: Wolverine and Angel break up, Jean is in a love triangle with Wolverine and Wolverine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Plot twist: Wolverine and Angel break up, Jean is in a love triangle with Wolverine and Wolverine.

For real though, they need to go back to the original plan of Teen Cyclops with Laura. Just for the reactions from Logan.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Squizzle posted:

Archangel: cool
Angel with power over life and death: cool
Young Angel w/ laser wings: could be cool
White privilege with downy wings: not cool

This checks out.

As far as Cyclops, he was my favorite character for a long time. But in the end I felt like after Deadly Genesis, the farther they took him away from Xavier, the harder it was to sympathize with Cyclops. And even before he went full mid 90s Magneto (literally moving into Magneto's old mutant separatist House/Asteroid) I just had a hard time reading books that were centered around him.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

SirDan3k posted:

So since the young x-men are sticking around, which still surprises me, we might not even get a resurrection of perpetual midlife crisis man.
The new All-New X-Men was sold as The Search for Scott in a campervan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Wolverine is not nearly terrible enough to be Spike.

In this scenario Wolverine is Angel! Spike got his soul in season 7 of Buffy!

Oh man, this makes me want a Wolverine/Good Sabertooth series in the vein of Angel season 5.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

For real though, they need to go back to the original plan of Teen Cyclops with Laura. Just for the reactions from Logan.

"Oh god...is Moonstone in prison? I need to talk to a someone who will recommend suicide".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked that young Jean getting together with young Beast was some kind of big important payoff at the end of Bendis' run and immediately afterwards Lemire was like "Nah I don't care."

I really liked this. Not sarcasm.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

(On reflection, I should probably clarify my proposed joke love triangle of Wolverine-Jean-Wolverine would require Jean and Laura to both be into women, not incest/selfcest with Laura and Logan :v:)

Codependent Poster posted:

Such a missed opportunity. I think we did get a scene of lil' Scott telling big Scott he thought Laura was hot but from what I recall, big Scott didn't react much. I doubt Old Man Logan would care what Laura does so even if they did hook up, there's no Logan or Scott around to react to it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

But didn't you see the hilarious page where he's such a badass and takes out 3 Cyclopses?

Are you implying that wasn't hilarious? PYF lame opinions itt, apparently :rolleyes:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrProsek posted:

(On reflection, I should probably clarify my proposed joke love triangle of Wolverine-Jean-Wolverine would require Jean and Laura to both be into women, not incest/selfcest with Laura and Logan :v:)

Such a missed opportunity. I think we did get a scene of lil' Scott telling big Scott he thought Laura was hot but from what I recall, big Scott didn't react much. I doubt Old Man Logan would care what Laura does so even if they did hook up, there's no Logan or Scott around to react to it.

It kind of creeps me out, consider in the Liu run there was a demonic portrayal of naked Scott that told Laura how she would do anything for him, which she understandably was not a fan of. Still, at least the Cyclops relationship was actually set up beyond 'crap, Scott's off in space now, and Warren's the only one I don't have other plans for. Screw it, Laura & Angel are a couple now!'

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

Are you implying that wasn't hilarious? PYF lame opinions itt, apparently :rolleyes:

Plus you've got to read the rest of the story too.

Something I realized when looking at it again, I realized that Laura is drawn more stocky than before. She's not nearly as stocky as Logan, but you can see it in a bunch of panels.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

It kind of creeps me out, consider in the Liu run there was a demonic portrayal of naked Scott that told Laura how she would do anything for him, which she understandably was not a fan of.

Yeah, Laura should really have a completely deep seated hatred of Cyclops (and Emma) after AvX and other recent events, but apparently we're not supposed to remember that stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Laura should really have a completely deep seated hatred of Cyclops (and Emma) after AvX and other recent events, but apparently we're not supposed to remember that stuff.

I think the in-universe excuse is :airquote:amnesia:airquote:. Despite her apparently having flashbacks to X-Force in All-New Wolverine (where she still talks exactly the same as she does in the 'present'-not to mention Logan's attitude not matching up between the flashback & actual series.)

Although maybe the amnesia is on the part of the writers.

Edit: has anyone asked why Laura never tried to kill Emma like she promised? Because that seems like it would have been an interesting story to tell. Too bad Bendis, near as I can tell, only got Laura's character down as 'Girl Wolverine'. While that has its advantages (ignores NYX and 'trigger scent' drama), considering all of the great character development Kyle, Yost, & primarily Liu put into her, he kind of threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 20, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

has anyone asked why Laura

No-Prize answer: Teenagers say dumb, insincere, hotheaded poo poo all the time, and change attitude basically overnight, without warning, on any topic. Wolverine says dumb, hotheaded poo poo all the time, and changes attitude basically overnight, without warning, on any topic. This is a teenage Wolverine.

Real answer: Writing a character doesn't demand Talmudic reconciliation of every prior appearance they've made into a coherent direction that the writer must then follow. Come on.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Did Laura even exist in OML's universe? He might not even know she's his clone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

plainswalker75 posted:

That's what I figure. It's going to be interesting to see them meet, as their relationship had moved to a more father daughter than siblings. Not to mention OML actually had children.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm actually super surprised that post-Battleworld, characters are still dimensional refugees and stuff like that, rather than a sort of Crisis on Infinite Earths thing where they think they've always been this way.

I was expecting the old Logan to be quietly reintroduced as the real thing as a way to bring the character back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Honestly, I want OML to be the Logan of what ever 616 is now. He can join Steve in old mentor for everyone, and I want Laura to be The Wolverine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

plainswalker75 posted:

Assume Old Man Logan knows everything regular Logan knew. He was originally intended to be an alternate future version.

I forget how Millar's Hooded Man fits in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
old man logan's universe seems to cut off around the 90's though.

• Locked thread