Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh good lord, I was so worried when I found vault 81, and was just kind of stunned and kind of somehow horrified t at how seemingly normal everything was and how it felt EXACTLY like a Fallout 1 style vault with way too many identical rows of identical doors etc, and how could everybody be so happy and normal and oh god - until I came back three times before finding out that it too had an ugly secret, it'd just been locked up and buried. :unsmith:

I brought Codsworth because I figured he was a piece of the vault tec era so why not, and someone commented that he was in better shape than their engineer in the basement.. After Codsworth weathered a nuclear blast and then was left abandoned essentialy in the outdoors for 200 years. o_O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, the game has it's less than beautiful aspects. I'm just saying it still looks like about as much effort was put into this game as any other released this year overall.

FO4's about on par with the standard, but there's some outliers that put that standard to shame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

FO4's about on par with the standard, but there's some outliers that put that standard to shame.

Witcher 3 has some fantastic animations in cutscenes but I don't really think it had exceptional generic NPC environmental animations unless I missed something, and I can't think of any other big open world games this year which I'd say looked significantly better. What sort of things are the exception in this case?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So Strong is voiced by Goku.

That's why he thinks that the milk of human kindness is something you drink.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I just discovered the "big twist" of the main plot or something.

Okay he's your old man son but what exactly is the purpose of little robot Shaun other than to confuse the player?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is "50 Minute Man" supposed to be a thinly veiled reference to blowing your load? Because, for some reason, I find that song a lot more weird and disturbing/distracting than "Butcher Pete".

If you have to ask and the song is from the 50s, the answer is ALWAYS yes

ImpAtom posted:

Witcher 3 has some fantastic animations in cutscenes but I don't really think it had exceptional generic NPC environmental animations unless I missed something, and I can't think of any other big open world games this year which I'd say looked significantly better. What sort of things are the exception in this case?

If you use cheat engine to turn on noclip in the Witcher 3, you can watch the NPCs digest their noodles in REAL TIME

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 19, 2015

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

jailhouse rock was about rear end eating

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVQ9KaPxRI

Finally, a comprehensive review of Fallout 4 I can appreciate.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I was mostly referring to the topic of effort in general rather than specific examples cited. Like yeah, you can tell someone in Bethsoft was paying attention to little details and wanted people to notice and enjoy them, but then you also have a lot of other, more noticeable content that feels half-baked, especially in comparison to other games ostensibly in the same genre. PantsBandit is sticking up for Bethesda and bless his heart, since even in this thread there's a lot of people disappointed by Bethesda being, well, Bethesda. But he's holding up small examples as proof that Bethsoft is so much better than those hurtful critics say they are. When, let's be honest, most of these small examples kind of pale in the attention to detail you can see in, yeah, The Witcher 3. A game that seems to be inspired by Bethesda's own games but goes so far above them in terms of handcrafted, open-ended content that Fallout 4 suffers in comparison.

Not to say that Fallout 4 isn't a great open-world action game with more robust content than, say, AssCreed. But it's clear that when they made some decisions on what to prioritize in development, with a lot of stuff they merely settled for "pretty good" or even "mediocre but that's okay too." Which is fine, but not great. And not the sign of a developer that really puts a lot of effort into, say, dialogue, quest design, or writing. That's cool, the game's fun in spite of it, even if Bethesda didn't put as much effort into building a world as they want you to think they do. But if you want to talk about devs putting effort in, CD Projekt Red are kind of bonkers in that regard. Obsidian may be slightly less so but they're still in that same school of high-detail, high-effort gamemaking.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I just discovered the "big twist" of the main plot or something.

Okay he's your old man son but what exactly is the purpose of little robot Shaun other than to confuse the player?

One of his many experiments. All of the synths so far were adults, this was the first child synth. It even weirded out/confused other Institute scientists if you search around the terminals

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Someone already mentioned sentry bots having to vent heat and ghouls having momentum and actually acting like fast zombies, but I love just how different enemies feel in this one.

Take Protectrons for example. In the old games, they could barely take any hits. Now they're pretty durable from the front, soaking up far more bullets than I expected. Until I noticed their limbs are a hell of a lot weaker than the rest of them. One shot to each leg later and now the Protectron is trying to drag itself away with it's arms blaring "Error Error Critical Mobility Malfunction" and is essentially harmless, if kind of sad looking :saddowns:

Synths will keep firing even if they've lost limbs and are on the ground, Radscorpions will rebury themselves to ambush you again from underground, Glowing Ones can revive nearby Ghouls

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I was mostly referring to the topic of effort in general rather than specific examples cited. Like yeah, you can tell someone in Bethsoft was paying attention to little details and wanted people to notice and enjoy them, but then you also have a lot of other, more noticeable content that feels half-baked, especially in comparison to other games ostensibly in the same genre. PantsBandit is sticking up for Bethesda and bless his heart, since even in this thread there's a lot of people disappointed by Bethesda being, well, Bethesda. But he's holding up small examples as proof that Bethsoft is so much better than those hurtful critics say they are. When, let's be honest, most of these small examples kind of pale in the attention to detail you can see in, yeah, The Witcher 3. A game that seems to be inspired by Bethesda's own games but goes so far above them in terms of handcrafted, open-ended content that Fallout 4 suffers in comparison.

Not to say that Fallout 4 isn't a great open-world action game with more robust content than, say, AssCreed. But it's clear that when they made some decisions on what to prioritize in development, with a lot of stuff they merely settled for "pretty good" or even "mediocre but that's okay too." Which is fine, but not great. And not the sign of a developer that really puts a lot of effort into, say, dialogue, quest design, or writing. That's cool, the game's fun in spite of it, even if Bethesda didn't put as much effort into building a world as they want you to think they do. But if you want to talk about devs putting effort in, CD Projekt Red are kind of bonkers in that regard. Obsidian may be slightly less so but they're still in that same school of high-detail, high-effort gamemaking.

All I'll say is I think it's telling that whenever people criticize this game they point to the witcher 3. One of the most impressive and robust rpgs released in the last decade or so. Yeah how many games will stand up to that comparison?

Not every game released has to be tw3 quality to consider the devs to be quality.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

What's the best way to save Kent at the end of the Silver Shroud mission? Is there really a way?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Are laser turrets more damaging than Heavy Machinegun Turrets? They seem to require a lot more stuff and need a power supply. They supply the same defense rating, 8. But LASERS.

Also: Who has tried making huge indoor areas so far? With corridors and traps for invading enemies?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Obsidian puts tons of effort into all the details of their games. *runs into another invisible wall before clipping through the floor*

I haven't played the Witcher but I'm sure you can find details they overlooked in that as well. You're never gonna find a developer that does everything perfectly.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What's the best way to save Kent at the end of the Silver Shroud mission? Is there really a way?

You can save him if you pass the charisma check that says "kill me first". I didn't try the other one but I'd assume it also works. Just pop some grape mentats to save your goony ghoul pal.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 19, 2015

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

titties posted:

In case people don't know how to use cover: get behind something and push up against it until you lower your gun. You have to be near the edge of whatever you're hiding behind. When you aim you'll automatically lean out.

As far as I know this is never explained.

What!? Twenty odd hours in and I completely missed this.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Theta Zero posted:

Finally, an objective look at the game not clouded by preexisting biases like nostalgia or blind hatred of bethesda.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Charisma

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just finished and I actually ended up liking it quite a bit more than I expected, and a hell of a lot more than 3. However, the ending was... what was the ending? It was just a generic thing of my character being sad about her lost life and then resolving herself. Like... okay? But what about all the decisions I made? How does this change the fate of the Commonwealth?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

So, I think my friend has a bug in his game.
Preston and his troop in concord won't leave and go to sanctuary, the quest objective is "meet Preston at sanctuary" but they're just sitting there in the freedom museum and won't budge. This was hours ago and he's still there even though we've gone though lots more of the game. Is there a way to un stick them? This is on console so no dev console.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kimmalah posted:

What I'd really like is for the ghoul corpses to disappear from Sunshine Tidings. I think they're actually respawning because I know I dumped some of them outside of town and one that was on a table I scrapped is now levitating. But I haven't seen Professor Goodfeels in a while.
I talked to him on my latest playthrough and he turned and suddenly beelined off across the wasteland, following the highway northeast. I tried to keep up with him but he was really booking it and I gradually fell behind between recharging my AP to sprint and enemies slowing me down. Never saw him again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of the terminal options sends him to the Atomic Robot Factory for reprogramming or something like that. There was a Colonel Gutsy inside it when I went there, but that could of just been a normal spawn and not him.

Kind of glad he's gone because hearing "groovy" stopped making me laugh when I heard it for the 100th time. I was wondering if he counted as a normal settlers and could be assigned to perform tasks though, like the Mr. Handies in Greygarden.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

omg chael crash posted:

Do settlers collect crops for me or do I have to do that myself?
They do it for you, although I think you might need to set the first one going, the other idlers will farm if there are enough plants. The crops on the plants are extra and the NPCs ignore them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

coyo7e posted:

I talked to him on my latest playthrough and he turned and suddenly beelined off across the wasteland, following the highway northeast. I tried to keep up with him but he was really booking it and I gradually fell behind between recharging my AP to sprint and enemies slowing me down. Never saw him again.

I met him in the little hippy commune he floats around in, and while I was exploring around the houses a squad of super mutants came and attacked him. I ran out of the house only to see a giant mushroom cloud. :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Adequate posted:

Just finished and I actually ended up liking it quite a bit more than I expected, and a hell of a lot more than 3. However, the ending was... what was the ending? It was just a generic thing of my character being sad about her lost life and then resolving herself. Like... okay? But what about all the decisions I made? How does this change the fate of the Commonwealth?

bethesda!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah Obsidian puts tons of effort into all the details of their games. *runs into another invisible wall before clipping through the floor*

which might be a more valid complaint if the same poo poo didn't happen in FO3

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 19, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

coyo7e posted:

Nice job failing gaming science. Now we'll never know...

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
After playing so many hours with pretty much ignoring base-building on account on how janky it is I finally decided to decorate the red rocket truck stop a bit, if only to have a place to stash all the stuff I am hoarding and don't exactly want to sell. (or scrap) I also think the place is looking nice enough and has enough room without having to build structures which I dread with this interface. It's funny that even with the base building there's no way to decorate with clutter in a sensible way. I tried to put some bottles on a shelf (which you can build). Absolutely hopeless.

That's also why people complain about Bethesda so much, on one side you have attention to detail like the entire world building and the stuff with the holidays, on the other side you have a game with dozens of clutter items and base-building and you can't even really put the clutter items around in a sensible way. There's always this stuff in their games where you think "man, did nobody ever sit down and think about this for a moment?" and the answer is always most assuredly "no" which is infuriating because they do so well in other regions but absolutely seem to refuse to learn.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fereydun posted:

probably the most bizarre aspect of this is that random NPCs in various areas will react appropriately to stuff like that (see: wearing vault suits in vault 81 and them responding, being buck rear end naked in public [this gets companion likes/dislikes even]) but whenever it comes to actual dialogue there's nothing
I was pretty bummed by the power armor/BoS dialogue thing because I'm pretty darn sure that in the previous games, if you went and got power armor and then found the BoS, they'd pretty much beg you to join them because they want your tech. I may be misremembering but I could swear they make a big deal out of it in previous games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

All I'll say is I think it's telling that whenever people criticize this game they point to the witcher 3. One of the most impressive and robust rpgs released in the last decade or so. Yeah how many games will stand up to that comparison?

Not every game released has to be tw3 quality to consider the devs to be quality.

Fair enough, it's just that for every neat easter egg and touch of life included, Bethesda drops the ball for something much more prominently presented and more likely for a player to run into. Time-based holidays and Codsworth recognizing a long list of names to refer to in speech are cool and interesting, the bulk of the writing the game wants the player to experience isn't.

That said, on the whole, FO4 is a lot better than FO3. So their decisions on what to prioritize and what to leave half-baked seem to have paid off. I'm not going to single out Bethesda as being better than any particular dev, they're just not terrible.

A little lazy in some areas, but not terrible.

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't played the Witcher but I'm sure you can find details they overlooked in that as well. You're never gonna find a developer that does everything perfectly.

For all the poo poo Obsidian deserves for its coding, you can't really deny that they produce some pretty good content for their games.

And I've made my fair share of criticisms about TW3 combat, bugs, and dodgy balance scaling in its own thread, but not about the writing, quest design, or worldbuilding. These sorts of things might not sound all that important, but they show a degree of care and attention that can make the difference between a good and a great game. Even the facial animations are top of the industry, better than LA Noire's despite being hand-animated as opposed to hideously expensive and "immersive" mocap.

If you haven't played it, you should probably give it a rental or something. Maybe steam share it from a friend or family who owns a copy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I love this game but I have to say that the suicide super mutants are the best loving thing bethesda has added to this game they are so god damned funny.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

I laughed pretty hard, especially during his commentary on dogmeat.

Rob Haldorson fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 19, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Completed the game with the Brotherhood. Very meh ending, but very fun experience all round. I'm going to make a Harkonnen-looking motherfucker now and wear the Courser outfit 24/7 because it looks so drat right.

Is there a side quest for finding out who's been sticking the mannequins all over the place? I was hoping to run into the source of that eventually but never did.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Saw a interesting random encounter, guy I've seen hang around settlements by the name of Art was in a fire fight in some city ruins, he was fighting his synth doubleganger.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

I love this game but I have to say that the suicide super mutants are the best loving thing bethesda has added to this game they are so god damned funny.

:agreed:

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
For all the talk about streamlinined mechanics and voiced protagonists leading to the massive sales for this game, I think people don't realize that they could literally replaced the disc with dog poo poo and it still would have sold the same amount. Most people just buy whatever's cool and don't really care about specific features.

Edit: The hype is dying out on subreddits such as r/fallout so expect rapbid hatred towards this game soon. Although this isn't much worse than the Todd Howard circlejerk atround e3.

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 19, 2015

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Gene might be my favorite random npc encounter yet. He's Garrus for one. I want a mod that just lets me offer him to live at one of my settlements and do his dog raising there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Speaking of dogs, I need to try an All-Dogmeat Lone Wanderer perk gameplay. It takes too long to max out certain follower's compassion towards you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is "50 Minute Man" supposed to be a thinly veiled reference to blowing your load? Because, for some reason, I find that song a lot more weird and disturbing/distracting than "Butcher Pete".
He's telling the ladies he isn't a 60 second man, and that he knows his way around the boudoir.. so yeah mos' def

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

I tried to put some bottles on a shelf (which you can build). Absolutely hopeless.
How do you pick up items? I think in the other games it was "f" but that doesn't work now. Can I safely place items in a settlement without them despawning? I want to build an armory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

eSporks posted:

How do you pick up items? I think in the other games it was "f" but that doesn't work now. Can I safely place items in a settlement without them despawning? I want to build an armory.

Press and hold the "interact" button.

• Locked thread