Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Isnt it amazing how archeologists somehow always seem to find something that exists in the few remaining pieces of text we have from the ancient world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Charlie Mopps posted:

Isnt it amazing how archeologists somehow always seem to find something that exists in the few remaining pieces of text we have from the ancient world?

Why, next thing you know, they'll find Atlantis!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tomn posted:

Why, next thing you know, they'll find Atlantis!

Turns out it was right under our noses all along! :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

This.. triggers.. meeeeee! :wave:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dalael posted:

This.. triggers.. meeeeee! :wave:

Congrats on becoming an Ask/Tell history thread in-joke. Just like me and my opinions about Niall Ferguson.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Congrats on becoming an Ask/Tell history thread in-joke. Just like me and my opinions about Niall Ferguson.

I'm still waiting for my own :aegilaus: style smiley. :argh:

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Dalael posted:

If we go in for $10 each we can just split up the pixels

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dalael posted:

Unfortunately the altiplano is a bit big for a smiley.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to believe he was a pug

Not sure if gigantic man with a pug's head would be scary or not.

Probably a bit off-putting either way.

St Chris: C'mon, I'll carry you across the river.
Peasant (trying not to STARE at pug head): Maybe I don't need to cross the river THAT badly....

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so what iconography represents his perpetual wheezing?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

the Correct Opinions about niall ferguson are no joke

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
He's bad.

Also not nice in person.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i heard he makes his grad students do his research for him and then doesn't give them credit

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I know he was a dick to his undergrads at Cambridge and that his former colleagues don't like him or respect him

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

i heard he makes his grad students do his research for him and then doesn't give them credit

Probably for the best they don't have their names tied to his work.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Probably for the best they don't have their names tied to his work.

Some of the financial stuff is OK.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Was that the insane poster?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

You're gonna have to narrow this down a bit. We're all insane here.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

speak for yourself

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

HEY GAL posted:

speak for yourself

Says the person who travels to Germany to simulate doing one of the world's shittiest jobs for fun, in order to take their mind off the day job of staring at ancient mail until all the squiggles blend together and all you're left with is a vague impression of drunken defenestration.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 20, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Keldoclock posted:

Says the person who travels to Germany to simulate doing one of the world's shittiest jobs for fun, in order to take their mind off the day job of staring at ancient mail until all the squiggles blend together and all you're left with is a vague impression of drunken defenestration.

Says Keldoclock.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
all my life choices are good ones

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Right. drat I was thinking about the guy who was defending Roman slavery style as possible modern solution to economic problems. Didnt he also have some strange Atlantis beliefs? I think he got banned from a few different posts and I havnt seen him post in months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lord Tywin posted:

What was the name and the author of that book? Just trying to search for Babylon unfortunately turns up quite a lot of books!

Whoops, yeah. Paul Kriwaczek.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

Right. drat I was thinking about the guy who was defending Roman slavery style as possible modern solution to economic problems. Didnt he also have some strange Atlantis beliefs? I think he got banned from a few different posts and I havnt seen him post in months.

Ah, you mean good ol' Agesilaus. I don't remember what he had to say about Atlantis but it was probably really drat stupid.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

:agesilaus: was a monarchist and classical-supremacist that unironically held the viewpoint that democracy was rule by smelly plebs, and that he was of the superior aristocratic breed of humans that can handle power. There might have been something in there about Roman slavery being cool and good, too, I don't remember.

Bolivian Atlantis was Dalael.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Keldoclock posted:

You're missing the bit where drunken defenestration is really fun to read about.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Jazerus posted:

:agesilaus: was a monarchist and classical-supremacist that unironically held the viewpoint that democracy was rule by smelly plebs, and that he was of the superior aristocratic breed of humans that can handle power. There might have been something in there about Roman slavery being cool and good, too, I don't remember.

Bolivian Atlantis was Dalael.

Even I think that guy sounds hosed up. :stare:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

You're missing the bit where drunken defenestration is really fun to read about.
after someone else has found it, translated it, and typed it

edit: when the book finally comes out, the amazon reviews are just going to be page after page of "cuck" and "i'm gay," won't they

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 20, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dalael posted:

He was so bad, I, generally a terrible poster, didn't want to get involved in his poo poo.
I like this little odds and ends of history discussion.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

LingcodKilla posted:

From what I recall Niall Ferguson is a neo-conservative historian who unironically argues that colonialism was a good thing and Britons (Europeans in general really) should feel good about it. Among other arguments.

Dalael posted:

Enjoy!

Here's a quick excerpt:

Agesilaus posted:

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, though. Humanity is still yet to recover in may ways; we have regressed politically, philosophically, culturally, and socially from Classical Greece. I can think of ways we are behind Ancient Rome, too. It's not hard to find people today that will talk about how we've lost certain positive values and practices; out in the colonies you might not have any physical ruins to squat around, but there's still the mire of intellectual and social ruin.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"certain positive values and practices"

:pedo:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

edit: when the book finally comes out, the amazon reviews are just going to be page after page of "cuck" and "i'm gay," won't they

If you were, hypothetically speaking, drunkenly defenestrated, would you rather land on a pile of rubbish bags or a pile of manure? Did your guys have any opinions on the appropriate method to defenestrate someone?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

I'll write one that won't be.

MikeCrotch posted:

If you were, hypothetically speaking, drunkenly defenestrated, would you rather land on a pile of rubbish bags or a pile of manure? Did your guys have any opinions on the appropriate method to defenestrate someone?

"Hopefully this one won't lead to a massive war by setting off religious tensions!"

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

HEY GAL posted:

Yes, but they'll all be five-stars. :dance:

MikeCrotch posted:

You may not be pleased to hear that the contents of historical rubbish bags might be a bit sharp

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 21, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ferguson wrote a short article in the Times the other day comparing the current EU to the fall of Rome, and it was embarrassingly bad. Like, how is this man a professor bad.

Highlights include thinking the sack of Rome was especially horrific because Gibbon said so, thinking Rome was a politically relevant city at that time, forgetting the Eastern Empire existed, and saying the Goths invaded because Rome didn't bother defending its borders or having a real army.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you think that's bad, check out victor davis hanson

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i like some of victor davis hanson's stuff, he has some interesting work on hoplite warfare for example, but then all of a sudden he'll throw in "oh PS - anyone who isn't Western is basically subhuman"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i like some of victor davis hanson's stuff, he has some interesting work on hoplite warfare for example, but then all of a sudden he'll throw in "oh PS - anyone who isn't Western is basically subhuman"
a western man, to be precise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Ferguson wrote a short article in the Times the other day comparing the current EU to the fall of Rome, and it was embarrassingly bad. Like, how is this man a professor bad.

Highlights include thinking the sack of Rome was especially horrific because Gibbon said so, thinking Rome was a politically relevant city at that time, forgetting the Eastern Empire existed, and saying the Goths invaded because Rome didn't bother defending its borders or having a real army.

I'm going to guess he had a stupid argument to make about current events and worked from there. Am I right?