Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Lemme get some ideas for a play through. Preferably around 867 or 1066. Open to anything especially interesting vassal games
Do Navarre in 867. Or Tanist Brittanny, that can be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

McGavin posted:

Or you could have your army run around until the Norman stack fights the Norse stack and then mop up the survivors with your full strength army.

One of my most satisfying runs saw me start as Lancaster and try really hard to help out Harold in just such a way that he both won the wars and had his armies more or less decimated in the process.
I came out without losing much manpower and was able to plot for the throne easily.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

verbal enema posted:

Lemme get some ideas for a play through. Preferably around 867 or 1066. Open to anything especially interesting vassal games

I had a pretty fun run in the Charlemagne start recently.. started as some count in the Byzantine Empire, usurped my duke's title (Duke of Nicaea), got elected emperor for a few short years, then inherited the Kingdom of Georgia and moved my entire family out there, giving up my Nicaean holdings to a relative. Had an off again/on again relationship with the Empire, sometimes as a vassal and sometimes as an allied independent state. Was contemplating a switch to Islam because why not when my king died without any dynastic heirs and it was game over around 1100 CE (was doing ironman).

I'm doing a Romuva game now. Started as the duke of Lithuania in the Charlemagne start date, reformed Romuva, formed Lithuania, now I'm conquering my way through Nordic lands and a bit through Russia to try to spread Romuva as far as I can before crusades start happening.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

kingturnip posted:

One of my most satisfying runs saw me start as Lancaster and try really hard to help out Harold in just such a way that he both won the wars and had his armies more or less decimated in the process.
I came out without losing much manpower and was able to plot for the throne easily.

This tends to be the most fun way to start a game for me too. My fav start like this was my Roman Empire one, where I actually started as the nomadic Orthodox Alans, which allowed me to join Georgia in assisting the Byzantines in defending against the Seljuks. It took a long while, and a shitload of attrition baiting, but that last battle where we managed to defend the Kingdom of Armenia successfully was a blast. Not long after that, I took over and settled in Georgia and began to scheme and plot my way onto the Byzantine throne while also asking to be annexed.

So yea...I guess my advice would be - pick any ally or vassal of a leader, that's looking like they would lose by default and historically, and try to alter history's course against the odds. Thinking of how you can best do that can be very fun.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
If you're not interested in the Horse Lords, is there any reason to go for it? The only features that interest me is the Populations and Dynamic mercenaries. Are they a DLC only feature or are they in the patch themselves?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The population/manpower mechanics are actually exclusive to the nomad government type. All other governments still use the retinue and levy systems.

The DLC also includes the silk road trade posts and tributaries.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Sindai posted:

The population/manpower mechanics are actually exclusive to the nomad government type. All other governments still use the retinue and levy systems.

The DLC also includes the silk road trade posts and tributaries.

Ah OK, thank you. Is the merc system locked to the DLC or is that now a patch feature?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SkySteak posted:

Ah OK, thank you. Is the merc system locked to the DLC or is that now a patch feature?

The send your son to be a merc thing? Nomad only too.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

The send your son to be a merc thing? Nomad only too.

I mean this feature:

quote:

Dynamic mercenaries: mercenary bands can now form dynamically, becoming available for hire by rulers in the general region. As they earn money, the size of their regiment increase

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The way that feature works in game is that you can spend X amount of manpower to set one of your spare kids up with a tiny merc band that can then be hired and grow if it is successful.

The restriction that "only nomads can form dynamic mercenaries" is just moddable decision code rather than something hardcoded (and it's not even nomad-only in vanilla, there are a few exceptions - I just can't remember off the top of my head how someone gets the Mercenary Traditions modifier), but I don't know if it will still happen at all without the DLC.

IIRC games without the DLC have no nomads even for the AI, they're all turned into Tribals instead so that non-HL owners can still play as, say, Mongols, so even if the dynamic mercenary stuff worked without the DLC it might just never show up since vanilla only has nomads forming them.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 19, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In any case, nomads are immensely fun to play, even if a bit on the easy side, so I wholeheartedly you get horse lords.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So I hear Ireland is "tutorial island" in this game. Is there any particular starting ruler and time that's best? It's worth noting that I don't presently have any of the DLC.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GlitchThief posted:

So I hear Ireland is "tutorial island" in this game. Is there any particular starting ruler and time that's best? It's worth noting that I don't presently have any of the DLC.

Either Munster Mumu or Dubhlinn Dublin in the earliest 1066 start.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
can you normally do this

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes. It's a random event of the feast.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
but im a child

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
You had a boring childhood irl

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
1066 was a different era. the concepts of "adult" and "teen" didn't even exist yet!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

1066 was a different era. the concepts of "adult" and "teen" didn't even exist yet!

Teen didn't, but adult kinda did, though moreso tied to events and actions that are nowadays considered quite non-PC (like you're not a man until you kill someone and you're not a woman until you have your period).

So yeah, go slay dem boars and be a MAN or whatevs...

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Is it possible to modify childs genetics at birth? Trying to figure out how to handle cross-breeding in my dumb awesome kobold mod. I've got a hybrid trait, and i'm working on integrating a custom kobold portrait set, so it'd be nice if I'd be able to force the kobold portrait set to be used if the character has a Kobold or Kobold Hybrid trait.

It was really amusing though when the Byzantine empress gave birth to a tiny scaled baby with tail and claws. The emperor saw nothing amiss and established it as his heir.

Next up, religion. Where you can worship the good dragon god Bahamut, or the evil dragon god Tiamat. The later of which you can gain piety by eating your foes. :getin:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

space kobold posted:

Is it possible to modify childs genetics at birth? Trying to figure out how to handle cross-breeding in my dumb awesome kobold mod. I've got a hybrid trait, and i'm working on integrating a custom kobold portrait set, so it'd be nice if I'd be able to force the kobold portrait set to be used if the character has a Kobold or Kobold Hybrid trait.

Look up the Dragon mechanics for AGOT. I know they have ways of overriding the portraits for dragons. Might as well do some good with that mod. :v:

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I've investigated that but it's entirely for static portraits. I've got a bored professional-tier game artist that's willing to work on some sweet fully featured kobold portrait sets in vein of the Elder Kings argonian ones.

Would be a shame to ditch the awesome assets. I could just let genetics run amok and have spontaneous lizard babies depending on how CK2 decides to move genetics around.

The pope will be a not-so-secret reptilian.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

space kobold posted:

I've investigated that but it's entirely for static portraits. I've got a bored professional-tier game artist that's willing to work on some sweet fully featured kobold portrait sets in vein of the Elder Kings argonian ones.

Would be a shame to ditch the awesome assets. I could just let genetics run amok and have spontaneous lizard babies depending on how CK2 decides to move genetics around.

The pope will be a not-so-secret reptilian.

A mod with a hidden reptilian trait that makes intrigue shoot up, but allows a free casus belle to non-reptilians if discovered.

With a strong chance of being assassinated by angry reptilians, or gaining a lunatic trait :buddy:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Does anyone have any idea why the achievement never popped up when my wife pushed out our fifth kid? Yes I'm playing on Ironman.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rarity posted:

Does anyone have any idea why the achievement never popped up when my wife pushed out our fifth kid? Yes I'm playing on Ironman.

- Were any of those 5 kids pre-existing when you started the game?
- Are all those kids actually yours?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jabor posted:

In Crusader Kings 2, one should never underestimate the power of the cuck!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jabor posted:

- Were any of those 5 kids pre-existing when you started the game?

...Oh god my wife is cheating on me

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

...Oh god my wife is cheating on me

You'd better murder her and all of your children just to be sure.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

So for my kobold mod's religion, because i'm not modifying the vanilla map at all you can generate/play a kobold pretty much anywhere, Holy Sites can be awkward to place.

What's the best approach for this? Have the main religion and a couple of heresies each map to a different region in the game so you can pick and choose based on where you are? Have a bunch of variations of the same base religion that corresponds to different areas, giving you one by decisions/event based on your geographic location and then quietly ignoring all the others?

Could also just make it hard mode and getting all 5 Holy Sites would require conquering your way from the British Isles to India.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Regional religions sounds like the best way to go there.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

:getin:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

First ironman attempt: High Chief becomes ill right away, dies 6 months in and GAME OVER.

Second attempt: 187 years in it is the most stable game I've had, with every ruler staying in power for at least 20 years. Suomenusko faith reformed and high chiefdom is now a kingdom. Just got two provinces in Norway and Iceland through holy war, but Letland (Latvia) will grow larger. I miss tribal armies though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just had a great run where my aspiring King of Ireland was faced with the rest of Ireland all inter-married so he bought a bunch of mercenaries to even the odds which would have worked except halfway through the battle he ran out of funds so they deserted and his troops got slaughtered meaning he had to go 250 g in the hole to surrender. Luckily he claimed back the money but locking up his bishop and stealing a whole load of money from the church, which would have been great except that got him excommunicated so he paid back half the money and the Pope took him back, at which point the Pope declared a crusade and everyone else in Ireland hosed off to the Middle East leaving the happy duke to rampage through the other counties at his leisure. Intermingled in this was the high comedy of 25 of the most powerful men in Ireland repeatedly loving up the murder of a random lady courtier and when they did finally get it right it turned out the girl I was going to marry to her widow was already dead.

My king was later honoured with The Wise.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

Just had a great run where my aspiring King of Ireland was faced with the rest of Ireland all inter-married so he bought a bunch of mercenaries to even the odds which would have worked except halfway through the battle he ran out of funds so they deserted and his troops got slaughtered meaning he had to go 250 g in the hole to surrender. Luckily he claimed back the money but locking up his bishop and stealing a whole load of money from the church, which would have been great except that got him excommunicated so he paid back half the money and the Pope took him back, at which point the Pope declared a crusade and everyone else in Ireland hosed off to the Middle East leaving the happy duke to rampage through the other counties at his leisure. Intermingled in this was the high comedy of 25 of the most powerful men in Ireland repeatedly loving up the murder of a random lady courtier and when they did finally get it right it turned out the girl I was going to marry to her widow was already dead.

My king was later honoured with The Wise.

If movie was made about this, your character would be the villian.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Reformed Romuva get the coolest monikers. My current king is "the Sword of Perkunas" or something like that, and that's badass :black101:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CrazyLoon posted:

Teen didn't, but adult kinda did, though moreso tied to events and actions that are nowadays considered quite non-PC (like you're not a man until you kill someone and you're not a woman until you have your period).

So yeah, go slay dem boars and be a MAN or whatevs...

:thesperg:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The king of Germany, who is my vassal, attacked a Pomeranian duke, who is also my vassal as I hold the Kingdom of Pomerania title, to press an apparently fabricated claim.

Germany is on low crown authority, but the duchy and county in question are de jure Pomerania. Pomerania is on medium CA, and the empire they are all a part of is on medium CA.

Not only does CA make no difference at all and he's able to conquer a fellow vassal anyway, but as Emperor I am allowed to do gently caress-all bout it except sit and watch him steal my vassals.

This'll be useful information to remember for my next vassal game, that apparently you're allowed to attack vassals of a lower rank than yourself no matter what the CA is. But how does it make any sense at all that you're allowed to steal vassals from your own emperor without having to fight him for it? Even if CA was zero you would not expect the emperor to shrug and say "oh well, nothing I can do, guess I have to sit idly and watch you kick my vassal's poo poo in and steal his vassalage from me."

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Are they de jure part of your empire yet? Your empire CA only sort of matters to kingdoms that haven't drifted into it yet.

Edit: It's weird and annoying and doesn't make a ton of sense in lots of situations but that's how it works

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 22, 2015

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What prompts the "Ask for Help Managing Your Titles" option when your demesne grows too large? I get this option sometimes but not all the time, and I don't like having to hand out city and church titles manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

snoremac posted:

What prompts the "Ask for Help Managing Your Titles" option when your demesne grows too large? I get this option sometimes but not all the time, and I don't like having to hand out city and church titles manually.

4 over your demesne limit

• Locked thread