Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Hirayuki posted:

I think one of them is "DDDDD". :v:

Thanks very much for this LP, by the way! It's clear you put a lot of time and effort into it.

Seriously, this is a fantastic LP all around. It's really a joy (:haw:) to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I spent a long time hoping that I was just having bad luck and not that I had run through all the brothel encounters. :negative:

I'm pretty certain my fishman trial went a little differently that that. Am I misremembering, or is that a thing?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It looks like your skill menu changes during the brothel encounters, but "Items" can still be selected. Does this mean that you can win the seduction encounters by throwing firebombs at your clients?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

dancingbears posted:

I'm pretty certain my fishman trial went a little differently that that. Am I misremembering, or is that a thing?
It changes slightly depending on what lines you pick during the trial. One of the best is words to the effect of "My client says he wants to touch your wife. Right in the gills."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What was the weird monologue you did atop the barrels?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Captain Bravo posted:

What happens if you do this, and then bring Bo back to the cave?

You fight his bro then he leaves if I remember correctly, it's related to position.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Well, at least with the gang wiped out, you don't have to worry about losing someone who isn't Geese in this area.

Also, when the party got poisoned, couldn't you have just gotten into a fight with a shadow and used Bo's status effect curing song? Or is poison too strong for the power of rock as well?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Technically he could've used the truck and gone to an inn to avoid the whole thing. I assume it was an all an excuse to light up and smoke.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's likely that the whole brothel sequence was intended to make the player even more uncomfortable than they already were, but considering the circumstances, that was one of the very least unpleasant things that has happened thus far.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Fat and Useless posted:

You fight his bro then he leaves if I remember correctly, it's related to position.

To be fair, if I joined a group to find my brother, and then was forced to help them kill him... I probably wouldn't stick around either. :smith:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Oh wow, I just realized that the mutants' death screams seem like a slowed down version of the Withdrawal sound effect... Go easy on the pills, Brad :ohdear:

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 19, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Something I love so far is how almost everyone's Fireball command is different in some way. Brad does the classic hadoukens, Percy uses a spray can/lighter combo, Mad Dog does... a weird energy thing, and then there's Rooster's amazingly named COCKBLASTS. It's great. Similarly I like Bo's attack command being called Jam Out.

Sadly Queen Roger sucks. Other than the joy addiction he just doesn't have an impressive arsenal. All he learns is two more multi hit attacks and one big attack with a chance of stun. Since Brad is a mainstay in the party you don't really need that many "HIT REALLY HARD" characters.
I liked Geese's mechanical pecking but that's pretty much all he does. I think all his skills are just Pecks that hit a bit harder with each new one, and a poison and stun variant. What a weirdo. RIP.
Fishman Village is great and Harvey is just amazing in every aspect. I'd even call him a ...Bass Attorney.

If you're still in the mood for working out after that last section then enjoy some nice music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

Captain Bravo posted:

To be fair, if I joined a group to find my brother, and then was forced to help them kill him... I probably wouldn't stick around either. :smith:
Bo is just devastated about it but he doesn't resent you or anything. He apologizes and even pays you 100 mags for guiding him there.
I'm not sure if this is relevant but there's a pair of WWE wrestlers called Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt who are actual brothers. Nothing else related otherwise but it seemed like an amusing anecdote.

Mazed posted:

It's likely that the whole brothel sequence was intended to make the player even more uncomfortable than they already were, but considering the circumstances, that was one of the very least unpleasant things that has happened thus far.
I dunno, I think everything in there way played for pure comedy, from the client "battles" to all the employees and customers. Even the outraged guy at the start of it who misses his wife.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
queen roger is my favorite character in this video game

work harder is my favorite song in this video game

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man that mutant was creepy. I almost jumped when he was right outside after you see his body.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's actually been awhile since we saw any Joy, strangely.

HGH posted:

Sadly Queen Roger sucks. Other than the joy addiction he just doesn't have an impressive arsenal. All he learns is two more multi hit attacks and one big attack with a chance of stun. Since Brad is a mainstay in the party you don't really need that many "HIT REALLY HARD" characters.

The one issue I run into with Brad is that he's at such a high risk of going into withdrawal, which is a massive debuff to a lot of things including max HP, and also reduces ATK by 90%. When Brad's craving Joy, his combo dial inflicts no or almost no damage because it depends on ATK, so all he can really do is rely on special moves until he's either Joyed or fights off the craving. S.ATK suffers during Joy withdrawal too, though not nearly as much as ATK.

When I played, Brad was one of my best damage dealers when he wasn't in withdrawal, but when the craving set in he was pretty much relegated to fireballing and debuff duty. I suppose it would suck a lot more for characters that have a joy addiction and no real special moves to fall back on; Queen seems to fall into that category.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 19, 2015

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Oh my god, on the seduction win screen, Brad's loving hiding on the bottom :allears:
"Brad feels weird" Me too, buddy. Me too.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
This game is so wonderfully hosed up. Great LP so far thevoiceofdog, thanks for sharing. That part where you cut your sentence for the flashback, and other small touches like that, has made this one LP I follow closely to see what you'll come up with next.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Normally when I'm following an LP of a game I haven't played, I avoid spoilers like the plague, but this game is so weird that I haven't been able to keep myself from looking up a couple little things in an attempt to improve my understanding of context, which has (of course) incidentally led to consuming a few massive spoilers.

Brad potentially losing an arm isn't even tagged most places.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

JT Jag posted:

Normally when I'm following an LP of a game I haven't played, I avoid spoilers like the plague, but this game is so weird that I haven't been able to keep myself from looking up a couple little things in an attempt to improve my understanding of context, which has (of course) incidentally led to consuming a few massive spoilers.

Brad potentially losing an arm isn't even tagged most places.

FEATURES:
- Visible character sacrifices that effect your stats (removing arms, eyes, scratches)

and then it shows all of brad's sprites on the store page.

The tone is set before you even buy it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

They made it sound a lot more involved than it actually turned out, but yeah, stuff like that and party member permadeath were known before the game was even released. Dingaling was/is very up front about exactly what you're getting into with this game. I mean, it's called The Painful RPG for a reason.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

HGH posted:

I'm not sure if this is relevant but there's a pair of WWE wrestlers called Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt who are actual brothers. Nothing else related otherwise but it seemed like an amusing anecdote.

Bo Wyatt's middle name in the game is listed on the Wiki as Rotunda, which was Bo and Bray's real last name. Also their dad commonly wrestled under his real name, Mike Rotunda. So it was probably intentional.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Especially considering the gym is just 100% wrestling references - you got Macho Man, Dolph Ziggler, Too Cool, Ric Flair and more.
I don't think it would be overly presumptuous to guess that Dingaling's a fan.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
We have fought dudes named after professional wrestlers already. Hell, Brad's entire skillset being Armstrong Punches is almost assuredly one too.

I know nothing about the guy save for what's been in these six videos but I can say with absolute certainty that Dingaling loving loves wrestling.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Baron La Croix posted:

Especially considering the gym is just 100% wrestling references - you got Macho Man, Dolph Ziggler, Too Cool, Ric Flair and more.
I don't think it would be overly presumptuous to guess that Dingaling's a fan.

Oh, just you wait. poo poo's gonna get real in a couple of updates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Oh, just you wait. poo poo's gonna get real in a couple of updates.

poo poo has been getting realer with every update.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ah Geese.

The wiki says some interesting things about him that don't come up in the game itself.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Geese's bio is.... interesting. I guess it wouldn't be spoilers since it doesn't show up ingame at all, but still, look it up if you want to. RIP Geese Thompson.

^^^^ e: beaten! ^^^^

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RIP Geese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Blackheart posted:

^^^^ e: beaten! ^^^^

Oops :v:

Anyways, something else I wanted to mention is.....

We got Birdie!!! :allears:

Voice ain't kidding, he's the best character in the game with the right party setup.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've heard good things about Lisa and how it's similar to Earthbound. thevoiceofdog, you're doing a great job of presenting this. I've enjoyed the ride so far.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Finally got around to updating the bio section in the 2nd post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746021&userid=153943#post451248900

Let me know if I missed anyone that we already recruited.

Edit: Geese's is awesome.

I mean I know he's a serial killer but look at that face. LOOK AT THAT FACE.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 19, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Haha oh man that's hosed up. Ex teacher serial killer in a plastic duck mask. Jeez.

Well, one thing's for sure. He got to be the center of attention all the way to the end!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wouldn't a serial killer WANT to mislead police so they wouldn't ever find him? I mean, Zodiac's byzantine deal left people clueless for decades.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
All of those character bios are wonderful. Fardy's fighting art -- Childlike Frustration -- is so :allears:

Brad's Armstrong Style has an interesting description, being referred to as a homebrewed mixture of Karate and PAIN. Makes you wonder what he was teaching those kids; it sounds like his art is all about caving in ribcages and rupturing organs.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Speedball posted:

Wouldn't a serial killer WANT to mislead police so they wouldn't ever find him? I mean, Zodiac's byzantine deal left people clueless for decades.

Sure, if they don't hate not (personally) being the center of attention. There's a difference between crediting kills to "the BTK Killer" and "Dennis Rader" after all.

e: more to the point, you might get a much cooler nickname than your real one, but you can't get your 15 minutes of fame if you never let anyone know you're actually responsible.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 19, 2015

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Aw, Geese was my favorite character in the game. His rhymes were cool and he has an interesting design, plus his single target damage gets pretty ridiculous later in the game, his attacks always ignore defense.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Look, we all loved Geese. But someone had to die so that we might steal the Pretty Boys' magazine stash, and Fardy is the only one who knows how to drive the truck.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Brad knows how to drive. You don't need to keep Fardy alive. If he dies, you've already got his truck keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

Brad knows how to drive. You don't need to keep Fardy alive. If he dies, you've already got his truck keys.

Brad lost his arm. What if the truck is a stick?

• Locked thread