Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

And animals aren't smart. They don't recognize things in human terms.
The information you get is going to be vague or limited anyways.
It isn't like the local squirrel can fully explain that
"Why yes, dread wizard Sper Glord has spirited away the townsfolk to slave in his crystal mines to the north." And ruin your players finding their own plothook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

In that instance, the GM didn't want us to know what was coming because it was a Spider Eater and he was planning to paralyze most of the party for months so his sorceror buddy could make a deal with some forest witch. He got pissy when we killed it too early, and so loving declared that me and a rogue tripped and fell on top of it, paralyzing ourselves. Then he got mad when I pointed out that the cleric could heal paralysis, and declared that I couldn't tell anyone that, and nobody's characters could loving know that because it would be out-of-character knowledge.

Yep, that's right. The cleric couldn't know that the spell he had which could heal paralysis would be able to heal the party member's paralysis. Because he wanted to give the sorceror a moment with this loving forest witch.

Did the sorcerer give the forest witch a wedgie and tell the cleric to use his drat magic?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Captain Bravo posted:

In that instance, the GM didn't want us to know what was coming because it was a Spider Eater and he was planning to paralyze most of the party for months so his sorceror buddy could make a deal with some forest witch. He got pissy when we killed it too early, and so loving declared that me and a rogue tripped and fell on top of it, paralyzing ourselves. Then he got mad when I pointed out that the cleric could heal paralysis, and declared that I couldn't tell anyone that, and nobody's characters could loving know that because it would be out-of-character knowledge.

Yep, that's right. The cleric couldn't know that the spell he had which could heal paralysis would be able to heal the party member's paralysis. Because he wanted to give the sorceror a moment with this loving forest witch.

Wow. Why were you letting him read you his novel, again?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

the_steve posted:

"Why yes, dread wizard Sper Glord has spirited away the townsfolk to slave in his crystal mines to the north." And ruin your players finding their own plothook.

My players miss so much information all the time, I wish they'd talk to the animals or *something* every so often.

Like darn it, there's all this world-building going on, I wish someone would take the time to appreciate it, and try to figure out *why* there's a manual of necromantic golemancy in the hands of the kobold leader, or why the ancient flesh-statue-throne thing is so willing to talk and make deals with the pcs.

But no, as long as there's loot to be found, and things to kill...

Also reading this thread makes me sad that I haven't played DnD for a while.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"i continually do things my players have no interest in and now i seem to have no group"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

gently caress, I could actually build a campaign around this one. Even though that'd basically just be LOTR.

Especially if you make it tempting to use the cursed sword.

Sword of the Rings. (The Rings are Hell)

cheetah7071 posted:

The ultimate solution is to never expect anything. You can come up with a hundred possibilities for what the players might do, and they'll find option 101 instead every single time.

Plan nothing. Build a setting and react to players. Also ask your players to make characters that want something, that might also help.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I've been in two FS/N games. One was a large-scale setup with 14 characters that needed a shitton of coordination to get anything done and never got to any big fights before it fizzled, which is a shame because there were some cool concepts. My favorite was the guy who summoned his past self because he'd been just that famous.

The other one had five players with eight characters between us playing an alliance of four teams against ten other NPC teams. The gameplay was more story than numbers, and it was split between journal-based roleplay for downtime and everyone jumping into a chat at once for combat sessions. Most of us died multiple times, usually on purpose because that meant the GM would whip out a Tiger Dojo act at us and then we'd get to do it over.

The party was:

Mulan (Saber) with a ten year old prodigy snotrag who got the entire party and then himself killed via incompetent double-crossing.
General Patton (Rider) with a cowardly illusionist in over his head. Fate/Zero came out the year after and did that whole dynamic much better.
Atalanta (Brawler) with the illusionist's dumbass best friend who had no idea he was a wizard. Brawler's best moment was facing down Simo Hayha and saving her Master by punching a bullet dead on.
And one of the other new classes with an anxious housewife who was the only Master on the team old enough to legally drink.

It was less a tournament and more trying to capture the feel of the original game, stupid main character choices and overblown meal descriptions and all. That one didn't escape the FS/N game curse either, but we got a lot further and had a lot more fun before it died.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kavak posted:

Was the sorcerer played by his girlfriend or something?

No, but his wife played in the game. One time he told her that her character couldn't hear the battle going on inside the building she was standing outside of, and so her character just stood outside and did nothing while we fought some bandits. She got kind of pissy, and he got pissy in response, and it was really uncomfortable.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Then who the hell was this sorcerer?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

No, but his wife played in the game. One time he told her that her character couldn't hear the battle going on inside the building she was standing outside of, and so her character just stood outside and did nothing while we fought some bandits. She got kind of pissy, and he got pissy in response, and it was really uncomfortable.

I think that's the first time I've heard of someone dicking over their significant other in game.

Who was the sorcerer, then?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just a friend! Some guy who I started referring to as his butt-buddy. He may also have been the dudes weed hookup, maybe that explains it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

I think it was a New Yorker cartoon where a scientist finally invents a dog translator, only to find out that dogs only ever say "Hey!" at varying volumes and inflections.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was a different cartoon or tweet that said that all bird language is variation on "This is my spot" or "Let's gently caress".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was a New Yorker cartoon where a scientist finally invents a dog translator, only to find out that dogs only ever say "Hey!" at varying volumes and inflections.
The Far Side.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

the_steve posted:

Yes, let's apply real world logic to the thought patterns of animals with whom we are communicating via magic in our land of make-believe.

Animals should be able to tell the players exactly what the GM needs to tell them in order to advance the story line at the pace the GM wants. So this is a hyper-smart squirrel, or this spell allows the translation of thought patterns into those recognized by humans.

I get the desire to maintain verisimilitude, but at some point it all breaks down because magic.

I remember I was playing a Sorcerer in a Rolemaster campaign and there was a spell that changed one form of gas into another form of gas. I decided I was going to use it to convert all of the nitrogen in the room beyond a certain locked door to Hydrogen. Surely the light that was visible via the gap under the door was caused by a flame? Hydrogen mixed with Oxygen and flame creates an impressive boom (and a little bit of water vapor).

So one of the other players says something to the effect of how would a person in the middle ages know about the chemical composition of the air and know to convert one into the other using chemistry?

My retort was holy gently caress dude: If the spell allows the conversion of one gas to another, there must be some basic knowledge of chemistry or else why the gently caress would this spell exist?

Later on, I decided to convert nitrogen to chlorine. :black101:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agrikk posted:

Holy poo poo. That's aw ful esome

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does the end result have to be something that is naturally a gas in the current environment? If not, well, there's a lot of fun to be had with gaseous metals. :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The point I was trying to make was: there's no reason to NOT allow someone to use Speak with Animals if they think to use it. Like you said, the local squirrel can convey enough info for them to go on without spoiling anything major.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SynthOrange posted:

Does the end result have to be something that is naturally a gas in the current environment? If not, well, there's a lot of fun to be had with gaseous metals. :v:

Hah hah hah. That's funny. I imagine that it currently has to be a gas, because if not I could do dumb stuff like turn gas-lead into gas-gold and other game-breaking shenanigans.

But a lungful of gas-plutonium instead of nitrogen would be an interesting critical to receive.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

the_steve posted:

The point I was trying to make was: there's no reason to NOT allow someone to use Speak with Animals if they think to use it. Like you said, the local squirrel can convey enough info for them to go on without spoiling anything major.

"A passing chipmunk tells you: that thing can outrun you but it's not my problem, g'bye!"

Agrikk posted:

Hah hah hah. That's funny. I imagine that it currently has to be a gas, because if not I could do dumb stuff like turn gas-lead into gas-gold and other game-breaking shenanigans.

But a lungful of gas-plutonium instead of nitrogen would be an interesting critical to receive.
If it observes conservation of atom-density and energy, considering that plutonium at room temperature has a very tiny vapor pressure the effect would be something along the lines of "rapid pressure drop followed by intense heat as plutonium rapidly oxidizes, then the room implodes."

If you instead went with antimatter-gas-plutonim, then... :unsmigghh:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Agrikk posted:

Animals should be able to tell the players exactly what the GM needs to tell them in order to advance the story line at the pace the GM wants.

I disagree. Humans talking to animals are naturally funny, and animals are best used to make druids look insane/brilliant.

I recently started playing a Druid named Ranger Fizbit, whose gimmick is he's a Ranger Rick guy whose inalterable sign of transformation is a brown ranger's cap.

Making animals animalian is a big part of wild adventurers. Rick fed his rations to a gluttonous wren (who revealed the forest had no food in it, since weird magical creatures had driven everything off); he tricked a dragonfly (who was too stupid to tell adventurers, aka "two-legs", from hypnotized pawns), and directly insulted a Magus by parleying with the guy's familiar instead of him.

My point is: If the Justice League were pre-Gens, Aquaman would be the funnest.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 8, 2018

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Our Bard in a 5e port of the Stolen Land modules from pathfinder pretty much constantly has speak with beasts up and while the spell(in most systems anyway) really doesn't allow for proper conversations with animals we've had some fun listening in on them. We came up on a group of bears indulging in the continental breakfast at the re-purposed fort the adventure starts in, and got an earful of the man who owns the place screaming his head off behind a locked door. Since the bard had cast speak with beasts we got to hear a lot of incidental dialogue. :tbear:

Waador posted:

Oleg's Trading Post...
Durnem the surveyor imbues himself with the ability to speak with the wild beasts of the natural world, and bravely strolls into the compound. Approaching a bit closer than Jergo deemed to be wise, he is able to eavesdrop on the conversation occurring between the ursine family.
"Oh my gosh this bacon is delicious, I can almost fit the entire thing in my mouth!"
"That's disgusting, brother! Chew your food! Or just come roll around in this egg yolk with me! It will give us both shiny, beautiful coats!"
"Don't roll around in that, it's never going to wash out. You're going to smell like rotten eggs for months. You two are the worst."
"I think I might have eaten too much. I can't remember, did we decide that we should or should not eat our own vomit? This ...might become important rapidly."
"PLEASE BE QUIET CHILDREN, MOTHER IS TRYING TO CONCENTRATE ON SHUTTING OFF THIS INCESSANT ALARM."
“This is the worst day I have ever had in my life!”
"That is honestly the worst sound I have ever heard in my life."

After murdering a bunch of bandits we eventually took possession of their riding horses who have been fairly unnerved by our antics off and on.

Waador posted:

Oleg's Trading Post...
The group then goes on to bicker about what to do with the spoils of their successful battle. The topic of the riding horses comes up more than once. Which is interesting, because while this debate is going on, Clive is busy eavesdropping on the animals.
"Did you see what they did to that one guy? They cut him in half man. I think that guy with the tattoos is wearing him like a new coat. We have to get out of here before they do the same thing to us."
"Calm down, just calm down. Look, they put us in the barn. It's going to be all right. Maybe they just want to ride us. Who doesn't want to ride us? We're fabulous."
"Quiet! One of them is coming. Everyone play it cool, now. Don't make any sudden movements. They can smell fear."

The horses grow still as Clive approaches.
"Oh, it's just the timid one, thank goodness. I think that man and that woman are both bathing in the blood of the men, though. This is some seriously hosed up poo poo. What's wrong with these people?"
The fifth horse whinnies, shaking his head. "It's not all humans. Just ones of no fixed address. Something about being homeless drives them insane. They don't know how to live free, like us. It plays tricks on their mind."
"These apples are really good, though. Have you guys tried these apples? Oh my god they're so good."
The last horse is going loving nuts on a basket of apples.

From his position near the doorway to the stables, Clive is able to effectively eavesdrop on the conversation of the horses while also participating in one with his comrades. They have now moved on to the subject of whether to deal with the bandits imminently, or pursue their longer-term objective of mapping the region.

When Gorom speaks, the horses immediately quiet, trembling in more than a little fear. Meanwhile, Kahli stands up for Gorom.
"He isn't going to wear you like a coat, you people are just orc racist. You need to go out and see the world. The only thing you have to fear are halflings. Vicious little creatures. Wicked, tricksy, and false!" Kahli apparently had a traumatic experience with a halfling at some point in time.

Waador posted:

Oleg's Trading Post...
The horses go dead silent when it becomes apparent that Clive can both understand them and speak their tongue. There is a horsey gasp and then a long, pregnant pause, until it is finally broken by the apple-loving horse.
"That is amazing. You don't even look like a horse! Was your father a horse? Are you a were-horse?"
The horses look hopefully at Clive when he suggests they will be treated well, and a bit more glibly when he suggests they might be eaten. The apple-loving horse breaks that silence once more.
"Calm down, guys, it'll be fine. Horsetag YOLO, am I right?" He shakes his head, and ruffles his mane in the process, offering, "You don't want to go south though, that's the swamps. We ride through the grasslands, and then the forest, it's so much safer. There aren't any seven-headed snakes in the forest. Also, there are trees with ...various... fruits."
"He means apples. He's an addict and needs help."
"Yo shut up you're just jealous of how luscious they make my coat, look at your mangy rear end locks, mare please."
"..."
"Oh now you've done it."
"I am going to kick you so hard."
"Come at me bro."

Not giving the animals you're chatting up at least some kind of personality, especially if they're going to be around for the long term, is just wasted entertainment potential :v:.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
In the first ever game I ran one of the players had a spell that let them speak to machinery. When she used it on a mad scientist's device it told her how it had tried its best for master but it still wasn't good enough and he just got angry and hit it.

:eng101: THAT'S IT GUYS WE'RE RESCUING THE MACHINE

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
In a Dark Sun campaign I had a wild mage perserver with a snake familiar. The DM knew just how to spin it. It is really hard trying to hold critical supply negotations when your snakes is whipering in your head

"Can I eat 'em, boss?"
"Can I? Huh? Huh?"
"Please?"
"How about now?"
"Now?"
"I betcha you say 'yes' NOW..."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

karmicknight posted:

Sword of the Rings. (The Rings are Hell)
I laughed hard enough at this that my co-worker looked at me funny.

I need to run this game now.

Just need to decide what system.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

a horse posted:

Horsetag YOLO, am I right?"

Noooooooo

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Yes, let's apply real world logic to the thought patterns of animals with whom we are communicating via magic in our land of make-believe.

Animals should be able to tell the players exactly what the GM needs to tell them in order to advance the story line at the pace the GM wants. So this is a hyper-smart squirrel, or this spell allows the translation of thought patterns into those recognized by humans.

I get the desire to maintain verisimilitude, but at some point it all breaks down because magic.

I remember I was playing a Sorcerer in a Rolemaster campaign and there was a spell that changed one form of gas into another form of gas. I decided I was going to use it to convert all of the nitrogen in the room beyond a certain locked door to Hydrogen. Surely the light that was visible via the gap under the door was caused by a flame? Hydrogen mixed with Oxygen and flame creates an impressive boom (and a little bit of water vapor).

So one of the other players says something to the effect of how would a person in the middle ages know about the chemical composition of the air and know to convert one into the other using chemistry?

My retort was holy gently caress dude: If the spell allows the conversion of one gas to another, there must be some basic knowledge of chemistry or else why the gently caress would this spell exist?

I've had somebody tell me that radon gas decaying into lead at macroscopic quantities would be violently exothermic as well. No oxygen required.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

silentsnack posted:

If it observes conservation of atom-density and energy, considering that plutonium at room temperature has a very tiny vapor pressure the effect would be something along the lines of "rapid pressure drop followed by intense heat as plutonium rapidly oxidizes, then the room implodes."

Agrikk posted:

poo poo like this is why I'm not allowed to take dots of Matter in Mage.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Yawgmoth posted:

poo poo like this is why I'm not allowed to take dots of Matter in Mage.

I mean, you can't actually do that sort of thing in Mage until everyone else can do equally effective things because it actually has hard rules set for it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Do you GMs keep your old log books and notes? Or do you just toss them after a while?

I am notoriously bad at hoarding old gaming stuff (hello complete and intact Boot Hill game from 1975)and recently I was wandering through a bunch of old boxes and I found an old campaign logbook from about 20 years ago. Crazy how many memories it brings back.

I'm wondering now: Is this thread worthy? I was thinking about posting page images from it and doing a write up on my thoughts at the time of where the campaign would go.

Would y'all be interested in a thread like this?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Highlights, yes. Mostly comparing and contrasting how you did things then vs how you would do them now. That would be interesting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, you can't actually do that sort of thing in Mage until everyone else can do equally effective things because it actually has hard rules set for it.
It entirely depends on how your GM defines words like "valuable" and "rare". Like for example, sodium is ridiculously common as an element and also cheap as poo poo, but turning someone's clothes into pure sodium is going to hurt for the rest of their life.

Also they're dropping pretty much all the distinctions on Matter transmutations in 2e so get ready for plenty of "then I turned his shirt into ClF3 and the other moros was pissed because there wasn't enough left to use any Death spell on."

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This is the best line :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skyscraper posted:

This is the best line :v:

The entire horse conversation was brilliant in every way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agrikk posted:

Do you GMs keep your old log books and notes? Or do you just toss them after a while?

I am notoriously bad at hoarding old gaming stuff (hello complete and intact Boot Hill game from 1975)and recently I was wandering through a bunch of old boxes and I found an old campaign logbook from about 20 years ago. Crazy how many memories it brings back.

I'm wondering now: Is this thread worthy? I was thinking about posting page images from it and doing a write up on my thoughts at the time of where the campaign would go.

Would y'all be interested in a thread like this?

Starting last year or early this year I began actually taking notes of sessions I participated in. I have all of my tabletop stuff on a 1 TB Dropbox account that's linked to two computers.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I bribe my players with bonus XP for each session they write a small in-character journal entry for, and it's been working great. It's always funny to read players who STRONGLY disagree over whether something that happened is good.

Player A: Things are progressing according to plan, we will soon be triumphant!
Player B: Things are so out of hand, we are the monsters the next heroes will slay
Player C: :supaburn: THINGS ARE ON FIRE

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Finishing L5R sessions with a haiku-off was always nice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I try to record my sessions for posterity.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I audio record my sessions. This helps to keep emotional and situational context for everything, allows me to easily remember what happened for the next session when I listen to it on my way to and from work, and, most importantly, preserves the often hilarious table talk that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

I bribe my players with bonus XP for each session they write a small in-character journal entry for, and it's been working great. It's always funny to read players who STRONGLY disagree over whether something that happened is good.

Player A: Things are progressing according to plan, we will soon be triumphant!
Player B: Things are so out of hand, we are the monsters the next heroes will slay
Player C: :supaburn: THINGS ARE ON FIRE

Something I wanted to do for a Supernatural-inspired monster/ghost hunter game was to use Google Docs or something to create a digital "journal" of all of the information that the party comes across, like what monsters are vulnerable to and their notes on the individual case.