Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Venom Soag posted:

brother sergeant Actio

two pistols in the saddle

pic of himself on his back

That model is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Venom Soag posted:

brother sergeant Actio

two pistols in the saddle

pic of himself on his back

:vince:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X-Post from the 30K thread.

The Sisko posted:

Since I enjoy reading this thread I thought it be a good idea to contribute to it with some WIP's. Today I managed some decent hobby time and I spent most of it on these here Gal Vorbak and a little with Erebus. I'm aiming to have these bad boys done by the end of the week and if I don't finish them this thread has free reign to call me nasty names ( like Bulbasaur).

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Silhouette posted:

It looks like he's wearing camo cargo shorts, ready to jump in the pit at a Sepultura show.

kroots bloody kroots

WildFireHooligan
Nov 26, 2013

Lighters are interesting

Skarsnik posted:

I'd go with whatever dheneb stone is these days

This just popped up on my fb feed:

As well as being rad as gently caress, the way the parchment was done is cool:

"I made the parchments out of paper bits that I cut out and shaped, then underpainted and after that soaked in superglue after attaching them to the banner. Then I painted them. "

Probably should say that was from https://www.siegestudios.co.uk to give the dude credit

Man that picture alone makes me want some sick banners for my armies.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
$54 Badger Air-Brush Co 105 Patriot Fine Gravity Airbrush on Amazon

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thanks for this

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
More 10mm Infantry. This scale is quite fun and fast to paint, three and a half days for twenty special forces guys and twelve suits from primer to finish. The very first batch of dropzone infantry was a bit wonky but i like these and the praetorians a lot.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Bistromatic posted:

More 10mm Infantry. This scale is quite fun and fast to paint, three and a half days for twenty special forces guys and twelve suits from primer to finish. The very first batch of dropzone infantry was a bit wonky but i like these and the praetorians a lot.

I absolutely love well-painted 6mm/10mm infantry. It really makes everything better by locking in the scale while at the same time making it feel just as detailed and vivid as 15mm/28mm.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bistromatic posted:

These guys are sharp! Can't wait to see them based.

Grots! Buttloads of grots! I got a bunch of these little dudes in a few lots when I bought this army, and while they weren't part of the original plan for my Blood Axes, this just kinda happens with armies, doesn't it? It's a fun mix of old metals, modern plastics, and in a few cases even old plastics when I was short a body or two!

And all 34 of them together. Batch painting will be the death of me:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I'd go with whatever dheneb stone is these days

This just popped up on my fb feed:

As well as being rad as gently caress, the way the parchment was done is cool:

"I made the parchments out of paper bits that I cut out and shaped, then underpainted and after that soaked in superglue after attaching them to the banner. Then I painted them. "

Probably should say that was from https://www.siegestudios.co.uk to give the dude credit

I used to do my sails for Man O' War that way, but I used Elmer's glue.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Finished my first Marine (sans transfers, they're late) for my Heresy Alpha Legion. Really growing to love the Betrayal at Calith kits, the Mark IV armour's such a joy to paint with it's clean panels and minimalist details.

(Do excuse the lighting.)

Not so sure on the base, was trying to go for a kinda Alien World/Coral look but it looks a little... messy, I just wanted something other than the usual wasteland bases I do.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You did a great job painting Alpharius there.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SRM, those are some solid grots. Awesome as always. Love the giant red squig especially.

SteelMentor posted:

Finished my first Marine (sans transfers, they're late) for my Heresy Alpha Legion. Really growing to love the Betrayal at Calith kits, the Mark IV armour's such a joy to paint with it's clean panels and minimalist details.

(Do excuse the lighting.)

Not so sure on the base, was trying to go for a kinda Alien World/Coral look but it looks a little... messy, I just wanted something other than the usual wasteland bases I do.

This owns. Seriously owns. What's your recipe for that metallic blue? I'd love to hear how you did it.

As for the base, I'd consider switching to another color. What you have works ok, but a dusty orange, yellow, or rust color would compliment your other cool colors much better. It would really make your army pop.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BULBASAUR posted:

This owns. Seriously owns. What's your recipe for that metallic blue? I'd love to hear how you did it.

As for the base, I'd consider switching to another color. What you have works ok, but a dusty orange, yellow, or rust color would compliment your other cool colors much better. It would really make your army pop.

Think I posted it somewhere else in the thread, but it goes:

Prime White,
Base Leadbelcher,
Layer Ironbreaker, then Runefang Steel atop of that,
Layer Guilliman Blue til you reach a nice strong blue,
Wash with thined Thraka Green (or whatever the dark green wash is called now) to give it that more teal colour.

And cheers for the advice for the base, will give a more rusty tone a try.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

SRM posted:

These guys are sharp! Can't wait to see them based.

Grots! Buttloads of grots! I got a bunch of these little dudes in a few lots when I bought this army, and while they weren't part of the original plan for my Blood Axes, this just kinda happens with armies, doesn't it? It's a fun mix of old metals, modern plastics, and in a few cases even old plastics when I was short a body or two!

And all 34 of them together. Batch painting will be the death of me:

These Grots so rad.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SteelMentor posted:

Wash with thined Thraka Green (or whatever the dark green wash is called now) to give it that more teal colour.

Perfect, this was the step I had been missing. Thank you.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

PantsOptional posted:

Perfect, this was the step I had been missing. Thank you.

I have really fallen in love with off-color washing lately. I'm painting a gaggle of kobolds and goblins from an old Bones order -- I based them all yellow, and then washed the Goblins with green and the Kobolds with a red (Vallejo flesh-shade) and they both have this great hue shift to the shading. It's really helping me to understand how to incorporate color into my shading more effectively, I think.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BULBASAUR posted:

Another option would be the Scale75 Metal & Alchemy range, which even has a nice shimmery cobalt blue as part of the steel set.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
When airbrushing what do you guys use to mask other parts of a model? Some sort of paint friendly blu tack?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Silly Putty.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the compliments y'all. They'll go in clear, black-rimmed bases like the previous ones.

For masking i generally use Tamiya masking tape and Tesa Precision Indoor for larger areas but it really depends on what you want to do. For wobbly tiger camo or organic patterns definitely go with some sort of putty, for anything with clean, straight edges stick with tape.

And yeah, both the grots and that mettalic teal are great. I could see the latter for PHR ships... almost makes me want to buy some to experiment with the large armor surfaces :v:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Sisko posted:

X-Post from the 30K thread.

Those are WIP? The smooth, soft skin tones combined with the flawless, glossy armor/morphs combine to drive home how hosed up those monsters are, it's stunning. Another example of how the GW/FW photos and paint don't do justice to some of these sculpts-- yours does.

It's genuinely creepy how realistic the flesh looks, contrasted with the unreal nature of the metals, nice work.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unearthed a time capsule, thought you guys might get a kick out of it... I decided to get back into gaming with Warmachine, went looking through some boxes for whatever modelling supplies I had left from long ago, and found a bunch of old Citadel Paints. All the 'bolter shell' pots I had were now dried up lumps of snot. But these other pots felt a bit heavier:

Popped them open to find the paints still wet and usable. These paints are at least twenty years old now :stare:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lord Twisted posted:

When airbrushing what do you guys use to mask other parts of a model? Some sort of paint friendly blu tack?

Water-based liquid mask. I use Micro Mask by MicroScale Industries.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Unearthed a time capsule, thought you guys might get a kick out of it... I decided to get back into gaming with Warmachine, went looking through some boxes for whatever modelling supplies I had left from long ago, and found a bunch of old Citadel Paints. All the 'bolter shell' pots I had were now dried up lumps of snot. But these other pots felt a bit heavier:

Popped them open to find the paints still wet and usable. These paints are at least twenty years old now :stare:

Yep they last forever. I have some Elf Grey from the same era that is still kickin'.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Those pots are the best. The soft plastic lids form a great seal, even when the lid's got a split in it. I have an old bleached bone pot from that era with a hosed lid but the paint's still fine.

Bolter pots were the worst and rarely managed to keep the paint liquid for long. The flip top ones were less bad but the screw top ones were nightmares and I can't believe someone signed off on them.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Lord Twisted posted:

Try looking up Panzer putty, for hard edge stuff I would suggest Tamiya tape as the best.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Posting here cause we don't have a general gear thread

Anyone got a US recommendation for a good brush holder? I'm tired of storing all my brushes in a tiny basket. Bonus points for holding very short brushes because I do use very short brushes. I don't have the brush caps for my standard brushes either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

signalnoise posted:

Anyone got a US recommendation for a good brush holder? I'm tired of storing all my brushes in a tiny basket. Bonus points for holding very short brushes because I do use very short brushes. I don't have the brush caps for my standard brushes either.

I just leave mine lying around in the table, I'm pretty sure an old jar, cup, mug, whatever would do just fine

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

signalnoise posted:

I use a tube broadly similar to this, albeit mine uses a screw action to open/expand/contract rather than adjustable notches.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
The links in the OP are mostly broken at this point.

I'm planning on punching and painting Space Hulk. What do I need for hobby snips, and where can I get them (like Michael's, Home Depot, whatever)?

Think I have brushes, paints, etc. mostly covered, and I can obviously find an X-Acto knife. There is not a lot of guidance, however, on exactly what you're looking for with regard to snips.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

The links in the OP are mostly broken at this point.

I'm planning on punching and painting Space Hulk. What do I need for hobby snips, and where can I get them (like Michael's, Home Depot, whatever)?

Think I have brushes, paints, etc. mostly covered, and I can obviously find an X-Acto knife. There is not a lot of guidance, however, on exactly what you're looking for with regard to snips.

I stand behind the Xuron 2175ET http://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutter/dp/B001TMZ7QA/ for plastic

You might want to have one that is less precise and less expensive for metal, but I usually just use a hobby knife for that

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone know of some companies that make good dog miniatures? Preferably with a few different breeds. I know Hasslefree has a couple, but I am hoping to find some more variety than the 1 or 2 offerings most companies I am seeing that has them provide.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

signalnoise posted:

A Pringles can works wonders.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Silhouette posted:

A Pringles can works wonders.

A Printed or Lays Stax can is good for brushes with long handles. I used to use a Stax can for storing brushes I used for oil painting.

For smaller brushes for model painting, just use an empty pasta sauce jar or something similar. If you're looking for something to hold your brushes to take with you for travel, you can get brush cases at any art supply store. Alternatively, you can wrap them into a bundle with a cloth and use a rubber band to hold the bundle together.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

I posted a picture of it before but I use some sort of watch or jewelry box to hold my brushes. I honestly didn't know until recently that it was not actually a brush holder but made for watches. It has little clamps to hold the brushes down.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

signalnoise posted:

The Paintier 80 has some brush storage. As previously established, I like HobbyZone's stuff, but shipping to the US is brutal. In the past, I also used a margarine container with holes cut into the lid to store brushes/tools.

Also get some loving brush caps. You should be storing your brushes point down, and you obviously need caps for that. If you store them point up, then any moisture in the bristles seeps down into the ferrule and softens the glue holding the bristles in place. The end result is hairs falling off onto your little man when you're painting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Avenging Dentist posted:

The Paintier 80 has some brush storage. As previously established, I like HobbyZone's stuff, but shipping to the US is brutal.

Also get some loving brush caps. You should be storing your brushes point down, and you obviously need caps for that. If you store them point up, then any moisture in the bristles seeps down into the ferrule and softens the glue holding the bristles in place. The end result is hairs falling off onto your little man when you're painting.

I hadn't thought of that, I already have enough trouble dealing with rogue cat hair (I do use the caps though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So I took a day off work, ostensibly because the gas man was coming, really because my airbrush was coming. Just spent the day loving about with it, learning how to disassemble and clear clogs etc.

I just painted a crashed aquila lander to acceptable tabletop quality, with washes, in about... 30 minutes.

where has this thing been my whole life.