Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Literally The Worst posted:

yo i just found out imagination station is currently working on GoGoV, added a link to the Mega folder in the big post

Isn't Imagination Station the newest incarnation of GekiKnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Numbers posted:

Isn't Imagination Station the newest incarnation of GekiKnight?

we have this discussion everytime it gets mentioned and i think the answer is "yes but he's actually got someone working with him to make it not poo poo"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So are the bands that do music for sentais and riders like, popular or listened to in the country, or are they more equivalent to Stan Bush or something.

Also what's with multiple series having people being uploaded or downloaded as "data". It happens so much that it's like an accepted rule of reality that people can be made of/turned into data.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

we have this discussion everytime it gets mentioned and i think the answer is "yes but he's actually got someone working with him to make it not poo poo"

Exactly. He's been working with an actual translator since the group was offically formed (said translator as I understand it has also worked with groups such as GUIS and Hikari-Senshi) so however bad the Gekiranger scrubs were, there is nothing objectively wrong with their Abaranger or GoGoV subs so if you want to check those series' out watching the IS subs isn't the worst option you could take (in fact, they're pretty much in the same style as Overtime's subs, albeit to a slightly lesser extent).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 15, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Larryb posted:

Exactly. He's been working with an actual translator since the group was offically formed (Said translator as I understand it has also worked with groups such as GUIS and Hikari-Senshi) so however bad the Gekiranger scrubs were, there is nothing objectively wrong with their Abaranger or GoGoV subs so if you want to check those series' out watching the IS subs isn't the worst option you could take (in fact, they're pretty much in the same style as Overtime's subs, albeit to a slightly lesser extent).

Fair enough!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Exactly. He's been working with an actual translator since the group was offically formed (said translator as I understand it has also worked with groups such as GUIS and Hikari-Senshi) so however bad the Gekiranger scrubs were, there is nothing objectively wrong with their Abaranger or GoGoV subs so if you want to check those series' out watching the IS subs isn't the worst option you could take (in fact, they're pretty much in the same style as Overtime's subs, albeit to a slightly lesser extent).

yeah i checked out the abaranger subs earlier and they're decidedly not poo poo. its rad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've been slacking and only just now watched last week's Nininjer. Did they really forget to edit out the rope pink was swinging on at 7:30 or was that supposed to be left in?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Acne Rain posted:

Also what's with multiple series having people being uploaded or downloaded as "data". It happens so much that it's like an accepted rule of reality that people can be made of/turned into data.

Is it more than W and Drive? Because those two had the same writer, and he also used to work on something Digimon-related, so maybe it's that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

point of return posted:

Is it more than W and Drive? Because those two had the same writer, and he also used to work on something Digimon-related, so maybe it's that.

those and the entire plot of go busters.
It's a separate trope to the scientist who collects data where data is defined really generously but they feel related

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Acne Rain posted:

those and the entire plot of go busters.
It's a separate trope to the scientist who collects data where data is defined really generously but they feel related

I'll have you know combat data is a viable scientific principle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but look how well that worked for Freeza and the Saiyans.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, but look how well that worked for Freeza and the Saiyans.
Hey, it got Cell built.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Watch the DOA movie if you want to see the most laughable execution of this plan.

Wait, no, don't watch that movie. Really don't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hey, it got Cell built.

And it didn't work every well for him either!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Light Gun Man posted:

Watch the DOA movie if you want to see the most laughable execution of this plan.

Wait, no, don't watch that movie. Really don't.

Watch it for laughs and get wasted. It's really not meant for serious or those with standards.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

So are the bands that do music for sentais and riders like, popular or listened to in the country, or are they more equivalent to Stan Bush or something.

I think it's a pretty common sci-fi trope. The entire basis of the transporters in Star Trek is that your body and mind are encoded into essentially a data structure while the machine disassembles you into component particles, which is then used to reassemble you at your destination. I can remember in an anecdotal way at least one episode that implies that the person being teleported remains conscious while in this state, as well. It's also the basis of most ideas of technological singularity, although you typically don't bring your meat body with you in that case.

I think for the sake of TV, it paints an easier-to-understand "this is a crisis" situation when you show everybody panicking while they dissolve into glowing math. Like, if you just show 40 extras flopping over like Phillip does when W transforms, then you have to also take the time to explain that, "No, see this is actually existentially terrifying for them. There's some real Cronenburg poo poo happening inside that supercomputer right now."

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

This week's Shuriken Sentai Ninninger has been preempted by The Hero Takaharu. Learning what the End Shuriken is known for, and even a taste of its power, was nice to see. Also the fact that Takaharu isn't stealing the show too much, and the other rangers having their days in the limelight, is nice.

EDIT: Also oh hey, next week is a tribute to Magiranger. I've been kind of wanting to watch that at some point, though I dunno if it's hyped by anyone or not.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 16, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think Magiranger is pretty good.

It's not going to blow your socks off or anything but it's good fun IMO.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I liked Magiranger a lot. It sat on the edge of campy and serious in a pretty good way, and I loved almost every character, including both lovely puppets and like most of the bad guys. Kickass giant robot music for both their regular one, and the later upgraded one that they get, and also good music in general.

The last episode felt kind of rushed, but I forgive it because it features one of the more ridiculous "henshin parade" mass roll-calls out of like the entire run of Super Sentai, with special guest appearance from Soga Machiko (RIP).

If it feels like a weird Harry Potter Cash-In, that's because it was 2005 and the world was gripped by Wizard Fever. It diverges pretty quickly from "let's learn how to wizard", and moves more into "these siblings are all crazy people, here is a day in the life" type of plots, where a lot of fun character driven stuff happens until the monster shows up, or in response to what the monster did.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

This sounds like an enjoyable ride, oh man. And if I remember correctly, it got fully subbed recently, so this is the perfect time to re-experience '05! :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Magiranger is my favorite sentai and MagiShine is the best sixth ranger. :colbert:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Dexie posted:

Magiranger is my favorite sentai and MagiShine is the best sixth ranger. :colbert:

What up, MagiShine buddy :ssj:

I am kind of bummed this year seems to be kind of generic and run of the mill for Toku, between Ninnin and Ghost falling into a abyss of mediocrity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
All Gold Rangers are the best.

Magishine, Go-On Gold, Genta, Jin and Utchy All top tier.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
With only 45 days left, it seems we might reach the 99 days before the end of the series. Probably around the halfway point

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I just got the Dairanger DVD's and they look pretty sharp. Outside of the no special features and ugly early 90's subtitle font everything is good.

I mean it's no HikariSenshi but I guess it'll do.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Still waiting on mine. UPS dropped the ball this time and it didn't show up today even though it was scheduled to be delivered today.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I'm glad ghost is continuing the trend of secondary riders having goofy as gently caress weapons, Meteor and his amazing beyblade on a stick must be smiling upon specter's giant plastic grabby hand from on high.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, there are a bunch of rider shows I haven't seen, but a cowardly lead is new to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh, there are a bunch of rider shows I haven't seen, but a cowardly lead is new to me.
If you want to keep from getting burnt out on the concept, avoid Den -O like the goddamn plague.

(Of course, Den -O is currently TVN only so you should probably avoid it either way.)

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Ryoutarou was incredibly wimpy but he wasn't really a coward after the first couple of episodes.

Also, Den-o is being subbed by Orangelion now! Slowly! Painfully slowly! But it's good and you should watch it when the subs are complete.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Reds posted:

Ryoutarou was incredibly wimpy but he wasn't really a coward after the first couple of episodes.

Also, Den-o is being subbed by Orangelion now! Slowly! Painfully slowly! But it's good and you should watch it when the subs are complete.

I'd go as far as to say Ryoutarou was not ever cowardly. He was really ineffectual in Plat Form and running away from the monster, but he still went in to try and fight it. He also never really backed away from all the weird investigation and possession bullshit that he had to deal with. He just had no fighting skills until causality broke and he had to start using the (insanely strong anyway) Liner Form.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you want to keep from getting burnt out on the concept, avoid Den -O like the goddamn plague.

(Of course, Den -O is currently TVN only so you should probably avoid it either way.)

Ryotaro grew out of it after a while and was mostly just really ineffectual.
By that same token, Gaim had a few episodes of cowardice as well.

I currently fully expect Ghost to follow Ryotaro in his development.

If you haven't seen it, just watch it, it's a good show regardless of subber. A word of warning though, it's probably the "lightest" of the Kamen Riders. It doesn't quite deliver on some of it's promise but at least the characters (primarily the Zeronos) are interesting.
I watched the TVN version, it's perfectly understandable (banana new shoe).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Kamen Rider Super 1 is the lightest of the Rider series.

Not that anyone is subbing it right now but you know.

Well the second half of Super 1.

Where he fights basketball men and bars of soap.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Serious Frolicking posted:

I kinda liked that Takeru actually got scared of Spectre. It's something different from usual, and it makes sense, since he's basically stealing the things Takeru needs to not die. It definitely won't last but it was a good character moment.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 19, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Justin_Brett posted:

I kinda liked that Takeru actually got scared of Spectre. It's something different from usual, and it makes sense, since he's basically stealing the things Takeru needs to not die. It definitely won't last but it was a good character moment.

Yeah there is something both endearing in a 'this isn't something I've seen often' way and kind of neat at Takeru recklessly charging the monster going 'I HAVE TO HURRY BEFORE HE SHOWS UP'; he's not angry or determined or anything, he's basically a cornered rat trying to escape something he knows is coming.

Then Spectre shows up and beats the poo poo out of him in like a minute and leaves him on the ground in pain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, it is perfectly understandable for him to give up fighting the dude who consistently and effortlessly beats his rear end. But he ran away without the eyecon, even though it was the one he had an emotional connection with. Takeru's catchphrase of "I believe in myself" rings rather hollow at the moment.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
There are a ton of jokes that Tv-n's subs miss due to their stilted and bad translation. Such as all of the wordplay humour, for instance. Wait for real subs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All Gold Rangers are the best.

Magishine, Go-On Gold, Genta, Jin and Utchy All top tier.

Sorry, but they are only the #2 metal-themed sixth rangers in Japan.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 44

Also, I wonder why Toei didn't do video compositing here. It would have let them rescale that hand as it slid out, so it wouldn't look, well, like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Soon it will be finished.

Soon it will be done.

I can't loving wait. Going to be so good!

• Locked thread