Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Neil Degrasse Tyson on tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Prickly Pete posted:

If you want to listen to the creepiest sounding way possible, shortwave is the way to go.

If you don't have your own shortwave receiver, you can tune in via a web-controlled receiver here or here
You should be able to tune into the show at 5,085 khz, and depending on reception you can use the AM or AM-nrw band filter.

You'll get all of the weird fading in and out atmospheric interference and background noise you could ever want. Absolutely essential for the Halloween show.

It's also fun to just mess around with those radios and see what other weird stuff you can find.

Oh my god, thanks for this! Looking forward to checking it out when I can.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ah man Ghost to Ghost was on last night.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Oooh. Thanks! Finally, my monthly subscription will pay off!

Did anyone happen to listen to it?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Art said that he thinks he was Asian in a past life. :allears:

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

That guy Gregory Paxson from a couple of weeks ago was a great guest. Hope he comes back to Art's show soon.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Paul Kersey posted:

That guy Gregory Paxson from a couple of weeks ago was a great guest. Hope he comes back to Art's show soon.

I missed that one, I'll have to listen today while I'm at work.
I liked the guy who talked about nuclear winter and how we are all going to die from even the smallest nuke exchanges.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

So were Art and Malachi Martin lovers or what

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Tonight's episode is great, all the callers are fuckin with Art big time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Tonight's episode is great, all the callers are fuckin with Art big time.

Naked man eruptions. Mumbling crazy people going on about satellites turning people into zombies and Florida spraying sewage onto lawns. Art making zombie noises over the bumper music.

Penultimate caller of the night: A bunch of barking dogs.

Is anybody else also listening to Richard Hoagland's show that is on afterwards? I've also found it to be fairly entertaining.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'd like to make it to Richard's show but I find myself often falling asleep before Art's three hours are over. Apparently RCH is getting a lot of troll callers? That is what some other Dark Matter Network program was saying.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'd like to make it to Richard's show but I find myself often falling asleep before Art's three hours are over. Apparently RCH is getting a lot of troll callers? That is what some other Dark Matter Network program was saying.

Hoagland is pretty laid back and has some interesting guests (he's like Art Lite). I phoned him last week and went directly on the air. I thought for sure his assistant would screen my call, but nope!

Hoagland also has a $5 monthly subscription fee for people who want to listen to older episodes.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Hoagland is pretty laid back and has some interesting guests (he's like Art Lite). I phoned him last week and went directly on the air. I thought for sure his assistant would screen my call, but nope!

Hoagland also has a $5 monthly subscription fee for people who want to listen to older episodes.

Hoagland was (and is) one of my least favorite guests to ever appear on Art's show. He was absolutely insufferable every time I heard him, talking over callers and getting all worked up when he was challenged on his insane ideas. Oddly enough, his show is not terrible from what I have heard. I may have gotten lucky and heard the right one but if I was up late at night I'd probably keep it playing in the background.

My goal at this point is to make a Ham radio contact with Art and then I will move on to another obsession. Tonight's guest looks a little new age for my tastes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

also didn't dickie hoagland have his website designed to look like the star trek interface

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Riptor posted:

also didn't dickie hoagland have his website designed to look like the star trek interface

Late-90s Art Bell website looked like this.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 20, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Prickly Pete posted:

Hoagland was (and is) one of my least favorite guests to ever appear on Art's show. He was absolutely insufferable every time I heard him, talking over callers and getting all worked up when he was challenged on his insane ideas. Oddly enough, his show is not terrible from what I have heard. I may have gotten lucky and heard the right one but if I was up late at night I'd probably keep it playing in the background.

Hoagland is just fine for a late night talk show from 2 am to 4 am central time. He's okay, but some of his guests (like Art's) can be crap. At least Hoagland isn't George Noory, right?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
No Art tonight due to illness.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The demon mouse got him

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
lemonparty.org shoutout at the end of tonight's show

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I abandoned my autistic Bigfoot son in the woods, he got retarded from eating GMOs and now he won't help me fight the undersea methane zombies

Riptor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 22, 2015

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Hoags alternates between patient science professor and crazyman rambling about ancient civilizations that built glass domes on Pluto (which oddly resemble normal geographic features). I can't listen to him all the time, but he's fun to catch occasionally.

When he's doing Radio With Pictures, just don't look it up. So much more magical with just your imagination.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Empire State posted:

Hoags alternates between patient science professor and crazyman rambling about ancient civilizations that built glass domes on Pluto. I can't listen to him all the time, but he's fun to catch occasionally.

When he's doing Radio With Pictures, just don't look it up. So much more magical with just your imagination.

IA.

It's a bit like Night Vale, but on a larger stage. Of course, all of it goes back to Art. :)

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Oh Lordy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wife upgrade?

Still its far outlasted his last show; so it's not like I have room to complain too much.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Wasn't he just saying last night they thought they saw someone on the property again?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Damnit you beat me to posting it after I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to use my phone.

RIP MitD

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

head58 posted:

Wasn't he just saying last night they thought they saw someone on the property again?

Right at the beginning of the show, yep. Hope all is well. Someone fired a shot at his studio last month.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Apparently last week somebody sent death threats to Art and his family, and then the other day he caught somebody creeping around his house in the bushes and almost shot them.

The guest on tonight was absolutely insane. It was pretty funny when Art and the callers started laying into him asking for proof and you could hear the guest getting pissed off.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

C.M. Kruger posted:

Apparently last week somebody sent death threats to Art and his family, and then the other day he caught somebody creeping around his house in the bushes and almost shot them.

gently caress. That is creepy. Art needs a guard dog or an electrified fence. :(

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Last night's guest, R. Scott Lemeriel, sounds like he's gone high in the ranks of Scientology - a lot of his story sounds just like whole Xenu story - and is then adding his Star Trek personal embellishment.

Also holy poo poo about Art finding someone lurking around his property after receiving death threats.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

C.M. Kruger posted:

Apparently last week somebody sent death threats to Art and his family, and then the other day he caught somebody creeping around his house in the bushes and almost shot them

Goddamn it Noory!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
why do people hate art so much? he's a national treasure

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

why do people hate art so much? he's a national treasure

Joking aside, Art seems pretty benign.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Art is going to be talking about flying humanoids tonight. Sounds promising.

Edit: Every night, there is some usually-funny, snarky live tweeting going on about the show & the Dark Matter network at #dmtalk. One of the regulars there made Bingo In The Desert with Art Bell, to be played during MITD. Might be up somebody's alley here. https://bingointhedesert.wordpress.com/

vez veces fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2015

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm really enjoying the Friday night fast blasts

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Boinks posted:

I'm really enjoying the Friday night fast blasts

Agreed. That last one was a lot of fun.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Someone needs to get on and ask if Art has stairs in his house. Someone without kids who can stay up that late. :)

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Boinks posted:

Someone needs to get on and ask if Art has stairs in his house. Someone without kids who can stay up that late. :)

I'm pretty sure the last caller of Friday's show was a goon. "Everyone has a spooky skeleton inside of them," is something I'm certain I read on SA. I guess it could have gotten around the Internet though.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Empire State posted:

I'm pretty sure the last caller of Friday's show was a goon. "Everyone has a spooky skeleton inside of them," is something I'm certain I read on SA. I guess it could have gotten around the Internet though.
Definite goon but in the general internet sense rather than specifically an SA goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Art said he wants everyone to give a plug to the community they're listening with, even 4chan, lol.

• Locked thread