Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Back in the olden days Judd Apatow would gauge his test-audiences reaction to a new comedy. The scenes where people didn't laugh he'd then edit down afterwards. Nowadays any movie produced by him are in excess of two hours. There should be a law that any movie that bills itself as a comedy should not last longer than 100 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Back in the olden days Judd Apatow would gauge his test-audiences reaction to a new comedy. The scenes where people didn't laugh he'd then edit down afterwards. Nowadays any movie produced by him are in excess of two hours. There should be a law that any movie that bills itself as a comedy should not last longer than 100 minutes.

If you put cancer or 9/11 references in you get an extra 45 minutes.

Sad but true.

Cancer/ 9/11 movies have actually killed a lot of people from blood clots because they felt guilty about getting refills on their drinks or draining the lizard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When me and the girlfriend watched trainwreck we left thinking it should have at least 30 minutes shorter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apatow himself has actually only done 5 movies. Just Trainwreck and This is 40 since Funny People. He produces a lot though.

I haven't seen This is 40 but yeah Trainwreck could have lost 20-30 minutes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

syscall girl posted:

If you put cancer or 9/11 references in you get an extra 45 minutes.

Sad but true.

Cancer/ 9/11 movies have actually killed a lot of people from blood clots because they felt guilty about getting refills on their drinks or draining the lizard.

Does that mean if you put both in you can run all the way up to three and a quarter hours?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Does that mean if you put both in you can run all the way up to three and a quarter hours?

After the stroke time actually speeds up.

The English Patient ends up seeming like an episode of Ducktales.

Reading Dostoevsky is a Saturday night.

Shits cray

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

syscall girl posted:

I think I've said this before but the third act of Funny People.

It was so good and honest and funny and then it's a romcom for Sandler's cinematic penis

Alas, would still recommend.

e: I guess that's not irrational, I love parts of it and then ack, idk

That one part where he goes to do standup and just rants about how he's rich and other people aren't and he doesn't understand it just always felt so uncomfortable to me.

Like that's not a movie, that's just Adam Sandler being himself. :stare:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

That one part where he goes to do standup and just rants about how he's rich and other people aren't and he doesn't understand it just always felt so uncomfortable to me.

Like that's not a movie, that's just Adam Sandler being himself. :stare:

Honest

Good

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Yeah the Airplane movies never did this, based on other things that never did this, sgo fjfg horw rg jorgjorghrg hrh por rg hrhpogreoaerhgaero pareoghaerpgoh aproeghr

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I thought 40-Year-Old Virgin was ok, with Seth Rogan standing out like hell. I walked out halfway through Knocked Up because I realized I didn't give two shits about anybody in the film and would rather go get tacos. That's the entirety of my Apatow experiences. I'm sure that fascinated you all.

On an unrelated note, I rewatched the original Star Wars trilogy so my wife could have a refresher before she read the Thrawn books. For the first time ever I noticed something that now haunts me.

How does this guy use those goggles?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

He takes off his helmet, wears the goggles, puts the helmet back on. What?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Deftly.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Len posted:

When me and the girlfriend watched trainwreck we left thinking it should have at least 30 minutes shorter.

Any sin committed by train wreck is forgiven due to john cena. I watched this on an airplane last week and I know I woke some people up in the first half of the movie because of him. Surprise performance to say the least.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krinkle posted:

He takes off his helmet, wears the goggles, puts the helmet back on. What?

I'm 90% sure the helmet could not fit down over those giant things. Even if it could, if they're for wearing under the helmet then why are they so giant? Also, if they're for under the helmet why aren't they just worn around the neck so they could be easily pulled up, as opposed to requiring removing the helmet first?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Why do people wear stiletto heels when it hurts your bones and makes you tip overable? People do things that look bad rear end sometimes for fashoin I don't know what to tell you.

You're really going to tell an AT AT commander what is or isn't functional apparel?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Why do people wear stiletto heels when it hurts your bones and makes you tip overable? People do things that look bad rear end sometimes for fashoin I don't know what to tell you.

You're really going to tell an AT AT commander what is or isn't functional apparel?

@ @s we're steampunk before there was steampunk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rydiafan posted:

I thought 40-Year-Old Virgin was ok, with Seth Rogan standing out like hell. I walked out halfway through Knocked Up because I realized I didn't give two shits about anybody in the film and would rather go get tacos. That's the entirety of my Apatow experiences. I'm sure that fascinated you all.

On an unrelated note, I rewatched the original Star Wars trilogy so my wife could have a refresher before she read the Thrawn books. For the first time ever I noticed something that now haunts me.

40-year-old-virgin isn't the best movie ever (I vastly prefer Airplane for instance) but man, I remember the first time I saw it in theaters. I was literally out of breath from laughing so hard non-stop, and there were people like falling out of their chairs literally rolling on the floor laughing. The only other movie I can remember seeing in theaters that got that big of a reaction was Borat, which doesn't hold up as much to repeat viewings either. But just being there in that audience, everybody was losing their poo poo and you got caught up with it even more.

Uhhhhh am I crazy here or does it not just work like you flip down the googles and they sit on the helmet. No? Of course they don't fit under the helmet, they're part of the helmet. Don't they just pivot down?

rydiafan posted:

I'm 90% sure the helmet could not fit down over those giant things. Even if it could, if they're for wearing under the helmet then why are they so giant? Also, if they're for under the helmet why aren't they just worn around the neck so they could be easily pulled up, as opposed to requiring removing the helmet first?

It doesn't fit over, the goggles are just a visor built into the helmet that flips down. Looks that way to me. I guess you guys are assuming it'd get stuck on the sides? Those side things look like grommets that can rotate, dunno how much give it'd have but I think it'd work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wanna see more of this guy:

That's a pretty wicked helmet design that you never see again. I guess you only need it if you're working on the main death star cannon, but it looks pretty menacing. Almost like a plague doctor mask.

Bring that guy back!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The best guy is the You Rebel Scum guy from Return of the Jedi. He spent time on those three words, good for him. That guy is cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rejutka posted:

The best guy is the You Rebel Scum guy from Return of the Jedi. He spent time on those three words, good for him. That guy is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aspp1r0tS4

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yep, that guy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhhhh am I crazy here or does it not just work like you flip down the googles and they sit on the helmet. No? Of course they don't fit under the helmet, they're part of the helmet. Don't they just pivot down?

It doesn't fit over, the goggles are just a visor built into the helmet that flips down. Looks that way to me. I guess you guys are assuming it'd get stuck on the sides? Those side things look like grommets that can rotate, dunno how much give it'd have but I think it'd work.

They can't flip down. The opening for the nose is currently on the bottom of them. They'd have to slide down. But the helmet shape means the goggle is wider than the top of the opening but narrower than the bottom of the opening, so they'd kinda awkwardly angle inward.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Would you argue with Vader?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

rydiafan posted:

They can't flip down. The opening for the nose is currently on the bottom of them. They'd have to slide down. But the helmet shape means the goggle is wider than the top of the opening but narrower than the bottom of the opening, so they'd kinda awkwardly angle inward.

Having worn a variety of PPE, I can say that sometimes they aren't compatible. It's just a lovely helmet and goggles. It happens. I've worn respirators that won't fit beneath proper eye protection. They just suck. You have to decide if seeing, or breathing, is most important. It's a poo poo deal, but it happens.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey speaking of Vader, something occurs to me. When we first meet him, in A New Hope, Vader is essentially the #2 in command of the Empire. He might technically be outranked by Grand Moff Tarkin, but I daresay Tarkin would think twice about delivering a direct order to Vader that Vader might not agree with. When Tarkin told Vader to release the dude who wasn't frightened by Vader's sorcerer's ways, Vader knew he was doing the wrong thing, and also knew that if he didn't want to do what Tarkin told him, there wasn't a drat thing Tarkin could do about it.

So why directly the gently caress, was the second in command of the entire galaxy, allowed to suit up and get into the cockpit of a TIE fighter while there was a terrorist attack going on? Imagine the French Prime Minister deciding it would be cool to grab a gun and head out onto the street to dispense some justice last weekend in Paris. There's no loving way.

Having said that,

Len posted:

Would you argue with Vader?

is an excellent counter to my arguments. I bet Vader's the kind of manager that doesn't want to actually manage - he's been promoted based on ability (and at least a little bit of nepotism) and now he does whatever the gently caress he wants and ignores the HR reviews that are piling up on his desk that need sign-off. Being his direct report would be a nightmare - imagine trying to get Vader to approve your Q3 budget.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If Hollande had space wizard powers he drat well better be out there fighting ISIS.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Vader isn't a #2 he's a goddamn thug. He's the equivalent of that guy with the metal teeth in a james bond movie. Absolutely his loving job is to get into his modded tie fighter and shoot people or cut open airlocks and choke people until he gets answers. If you're a bullshit little uniformed peon you don't want to piss off a thug but a thug isn't setting policy.
He loving invites luke to join with him in a coup d'etat this is not #2 behavior.

The emperor brought him in as a negotiating tactic with luke at the end of Jedi like how in mad men they brought up their only Jewish employee from the mail room to meet with the Jewish department store people.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Nov 20, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krinkle posted:

Vader isn't a #2 he's a goddamn thug. He's the equivalent of that guy with the metal teeth in a james bond movie. Absolutely his loving job is to get into his modded tie fighter and shoot people or cut open airlocks and choke people until he gets answers. If you're a bullshit little uniformed peon you don't want to piss off a thug but a thug isn't setting policy.
He loving invites luke to join with him in a coup d'etat this is not #2 behavior.

The emperor brought him in as a negotiating tactic like how in mad men they brought up their only Jewish employee from the mail room to meet with the Jewish department store people.

Alright, I'll pay all of this except the bolded statement. The Emperor would have always been across the fact that if Vader found a partnership that would put him the hot seat instead of Darth Wrinkles, he would take it. It's basically the Sith Circle of Life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Yeah but it doesn't have to slide far. I really think it would actually work in real life, you just slide it down a little bit. That's what I meant.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Memento posted:

Alright, I'll pay all of this except the bolded statement. The Emperor would have always been across the fact that if Vader found a partnership that would put him the hot seat instead of Darth Wrinkles, he would take it. It's basically the Sith Circle of Life.

This is really hard to parse, to the point I believe your phone is auto-correcting too much, but I think I get what you're saying, and I don't accept the prequel movies as canon so that whole "there must always be two sith" thing, or the sith in general, to me, is Extended Universe nonsense that doesn't apply.

Like it's really, really dumb to make a club that by definition can only have two members and try to take over the galaxy let alone anything larger than a PTA. Oh you strongarmed jerry into supporting your clone wars initiative but were outvoted again anyway. The macaroon bake sale is back on. Meeting adjourned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Memento posted:

Hey speaking of Vader, something occurs to me. When we first meet him, in A New Hope, Vader is essentially the #2 in command of the Empire. He might technically be outranked by Grand Moff Tarkin, but I daresay Tarkin would think twice about delivering a direct order to Vader that Vader might not agree with. When Tarkin told Vader to release the dude who wasn't frightened by Vader's sorcerer's ways, Vader knew he was doing the wrong thing, and also knew that if he didn't want to do what Tarkin told him, there wasn't a drat thing Tarkin could do about it.

So why directly the gently caress, was the second in command of the entire galaxy, allowed to suit up and get into the cockpit of a TIE fighter while there was a terrorist attack going on? Imagine the French Prime Minister deciding it would be cool to grab a gun and head out onto the street to dispense some justice last weekend in Paris. There's no loving way.

You're forgetting that Vader is Anakin. Remember Episode 3? He is insaaaanely confident in his ability to use the force to be the ultimate dogfighter, and for the most part he's right.

Although it makes it really awkward that feature creep makes that kinda incompatible, he just gets shot by Han out of nowhere. Lol okay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They loopholed it by saying the two Sith over the years had tons of acolytes and apprentices, just that only 2 could be Darths.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

drat, first he gets head protection that's hosed up, then when he goes on a treasure hunt he gets the wrong glass and dies of supremely old age.

You may say, that in regards to his career, he chose... poorly.

:haw:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat, first he gets head protection that's hosed up, then when he goes on a treasure hunt he gets the wrong glass and dies of supremely old age.

You may say, that in regards to his career, he chose... poorly.

:haw:

An old man's dream

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

When we first meet him, in A New Hope, Vader is essentially the #2 in command of the Empire.
I don't think he was actually any part of the chain of command, he answered only to the emperor and no one answered directly to him. He could make executive decisions and order people around on behalf of the emperor, but he didn't have any power or specific duties of his own.

Krinkle posted:

I don't accept the prequel movies as canon so that whole "there must always be two sith" thing
Isn't that shown to be wrong even within the prequels? Like, aren't Darth Maul and Count Dooku both active at the same time, even if they're not actually in the same movie?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The Rule of Two was implemented because too many sith were backstabbing so limiting it to two would minimize that problem.

But Sith gonna Sith and will constantly keep secret unofficial apprentices around.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I'd consider myself a bad Sith Lord if my apprentice wasn't constantly trying to usurp. Like, you know you are a successful Sith Lord the moment the other one kills you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Light Gun Man posted:

Honestly I'd consider myself a bad Sith Lord if my apprentice wasn't constantly trying to usurp. Like, you know you are a successful Sith Lord the moment the other one kills you.

It's expected one day that your apprentice will kill you, so your job is to make it drat hard so they get stronger in the process and become a better sith lord for it. It's legit an interesting dynamic.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that shown to be wrong even within the prequels? Like, aren't Darth Maul and Count Dooku both active at the same time, even if they're not actually in the same movie?

If I remember right, Dooku fell in response to Qui Gon's death, since Dooku was Qui Gon's master when Qui Gon was a padawan. Thats my IMM, that that relationship was never fleshed out, would have made Dooku a better character instead of being some random guy who's evil I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
In my mind the rule of 2 was mostly like seperate Master<->Apprentice each in a closed loop; not that there was only 2 sith ever. Jedi had an opposite hierarchy of master->app->app->app->app etc.