Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

fyodor posted:

the only people who notice me in my fost are attractive women who point and laugh at the man driving a "ford focus." :(

I got a honk of respect and questions about fost randomly on the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Optimus Subprime posted:

I got a honk of respect and questions about fost randomly on the street.

I forgot to mention the other group that notices me are assholes who don't let me over/generally think their leased 320i entitles them to king of the road status.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

fyodor posted:

I forgot to mention the other group that notices me are assholes who don't let me over/generally think their leased 320i entitles them to king of the road status.

Under the right conditions this can be very enjoyable though especially if you are just cruising around at the speed limit with something fancy tailgating for a while and you finally approach a corner and suddenly make the pokey little econobox disappear like the Millennium Falcon. Turning the V1 up all the way, switching interior lighting to red, and ESC to Sport while yelling BATTLE STATIONS prior to doing this is optional, but recommended.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I had an actual Michigan factory guy see my car while I was in Michigan come up to me and say thanks for buying the cars he put together.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Ringo Star Get posted:

I had an actual Michigan factory guy see my car while I was in Michigan come up to me and say thanks for buying the cars he put together.

de nada senor

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My RS has been selected for scheduling! Earliest estimated arrival is Feb 22nd. This finally feels real.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Congrats! I read that all of the rs's are being built out of a ford plant in Germany since they are being shipped out globally there. I am interested in hearing if the qc of that plant is better than their usdm and other na facilities.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I wish I could justify an RS to myself, it sure looks like it will be an amazing car.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Well it has a drift button. What other car has a drift button?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dr.Caligari posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not sure even I would recognize a GTI vs an R in the wild

The main giveaway is the R on the front and back, quad exhaust and wheels (if they're stock). That and the huge smile on the driver's face :)

Had some dumbass nearly rearend me on the way home last night cause the dickhead in the lane next to me was matching my speed and wouldn't let me over (i used my turn signal like an idiot), so when I slowed down to get behind him she lays on the horn cause I'm clearly the rear end in a top hat for needing to get over and not her for sitting an inch from my bumper.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr.Caligari posted:

Some might view it as a bad thing, but I love how it draws the least attention of any car I've had and is also probably the quickest. I've had exactly one person ask me about it since owing early '14.

Yeah, it's also nice that I can tell other people that I drive a Focus and not seem like a snobby douchebag. Only car people really know/give a poo poo.

edit: where the hell do you put a front plate on the RS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 19, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Front, what? :smug:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

The Locator posted:

Front, what? :smug:

Quoted for truth.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh gently caress, New Jersey requires a visible front plate :negative:

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

I gave a thumbs up to someone in a FoST the other day. I try to whenever I see one. :colbert:

I'd do the same if every FiST/FoST i saw wasn't driven by a middleaged woman :(

Optimus Subprime posted:

Congrats! I read that all of the rs's are being built out of a ford plant in Germany since they are being shipped out globally there. I am interested in hearing if the qc of that plant is better than their usdm and other na facilities.

the AUDM FiST/FoST all come from Germany, and looking at some of the disastrous panel-fit issues on the USDM cars in this thread I'd say you're in for an upgrade.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KidDynamite posted:

Oh gently caress, New Jersey requires a visible front plate :negative:

Texas does too, but they don't really enforce it. My SHO was a Michigan car and didn't have a front plate bracket when I bought it almost 2 years ago. Never bought one and have never had any issues from the cops. I keep the front plate under my passenger seat just in case. I can imagine Jersey enforcing it though.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, it's also nice that I can tell other people that I drive a Focus and not seem like a snobby douchebag. Only car people really know/give a poo poo.

On the matte black grille splitter or whatever it's called. I've occasionally seen them with European license plates which are ideally sized for the splitter as seen here.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-ford-focus-rs-first-ride-review

Not sure how it will look with American plates.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I read about this a few weeks ago but had no idea that the car involved was the same exact poo poo as mine, MY16 Magnetic Grey, Ebony wheels (without the red caliper covers stated on the window sticker/order guide/everywhere - I'm totally happy with the non-red calipers but hopefully some fanatics puts the screws to them for that and the fact that I can't do ST Academy anymore so I can get some goodwill dollars thrown my way despite not really giving a poo poo). No doubt that young bro picked that car up in the last week and proceeded to go absolutely wild, I understand that completely...but if he wore his loving seatbelt he'd possibly be alive instead of splattered on a freeway exit sign/inspiration for best regional bad taste Halloween costume of the year.

:milk:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

WTF.. how did he get up on the sign?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

It's not impossible. Without a seatbelt you are basically going the same speed as the car and will keep moving until something stops you. It looks like it was possibly a violent rollover and that usually leads to an ejection. Check out YouTube for old videos of cars from the 60s on the Neuburgring and the low speed crashes resulted in people still sticking out the car as it rolled. Phone posting so I can't find it now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^^^

There are plenty of videos from the middle east of cars rolling multiple times and bodies/parts of bodies flying out.

That's pretty god drat impressive.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Locator posted:

WTF.. how did he get up on the sign?

Inertia is simply a cruel, uncaring bitch. Without reading details my assumption would be 100-120mph, heavy braking/loss of control, roll, ejection of driver, pronounced dead at scene. I guess the car seems to have taken it fairly well. Even during every single stupid thing I have ever done behind the wheel since getting my license at 16yo I have always worn a seatbelt and see no reason why you would not.

Even properly restrained I've still already almost had an unsecured 32oz Gatorade go airborne and bounce off my head at speed amongst a few other close calls involving food and drink (or bodily fluids) coming very close to being strewn/spewed about the interior of my new car (and the idea of new car still hasn't entirely settled in yet despite prob being in the 99th percentile of OCD car owners).

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Plus that seat belt reminder 'ding' is the most annoying sound in the world. I always wear my belt, but just driving down the lane to the mailbox drives me nuts to hear that dinging

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

Plus that seat belt reminder 'ding' is the most annoying sound in the world. I always wear my belt, but just driving down the lane to the mailbox drives me nuts to hear that dinging

Toyotas are the worst about this by far, IMO.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Toyotas are the worst about this by far, IMO.

Tomorrow i will record my car's seat belt warning for you. You'll beg for the ding.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My old boss was telling me about the guy on the sign ejected from his car. I'll have to mention that it was a focus that was the same color as mine!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My car has no seatbelt ding at all :smuggo:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sadnessboner posted:

I'd do the same if every FiST/FoST i saw wasn't driven by a middleaged woman :(

the AUDM FiST/FoST all come from Germany, and looking at some of the disastrous panel-fit issues on the USDM cars in this thread I'd say you're in for an upgrade.

I don't think anyone's had issues with FoST which is built in Michigan - the hood gap is annoying but I think basically part of the car, not a fit and finish issue, versus the FiST which is built in Mexico.

Edward IV posted:

On the matte black grille splitter or whatever it's called. I've occasionally seen them with European license plates which are ideally sized for the splitter as seen here.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-ford-focus-rs-first-ride-review

Not sure how it will look with American plates.

That will look 100% retarded with a US plate.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think anyone's had issues with FoST which is built in Michigan - the hood gap is annoying but I think basically part of the car, not a fit and finish issue, versus the FiST which is built in Mexico.

The Michigan-built focuses all have abysmal panel fit. Thankfully the dealer fixed mine (it was so bad the hatchback didn't open and close properly). I looked at all the other focuses on the lot and have kept an eye on the ones I see in the wild and they're all crap.

At least mine looks good! It's amazing how much tidier the car looks with even panel gaps.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

The panel fit on my usdm fost is OK, but not great. I hope the rs sells well, maybe I'll save up and pick one up in a couple years.

In other news, I installed the pedal spacer rip Paul walker sold me, and holy hell is getting to the upper bolt of the accelerator assembly a huge pain in the rear end. It's nice to have equal height pedals now, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The Michigan-built focuses all have abysmal panel fit. Thankfully the dealer fixed mine (it was so bad the hatchback didn't open and close properly). I looked at all the other focuses on the lot and have kept an eye on the ones I see in the wild and they're all crap.

At least mine looks good! It's amazing how much tidier the car looks with even panel gaps.

Really? Mine is fine - on the other hand it's also black so that probably helps. I also don't really care provided it's not interfering with functionality.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My wing is a tad crooked to the point it rubs on the body. Would the dealer still fix it if it outside the warranty, or would it be better to do it myself. Or comedy option: buy the wing riser set.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The panel gap is not something I noticed until after purchase and I was standing back looking at the car. I am pretty sure the body lines and colors are at least partly designed to help hide fitment issues...

Bugged the poo poo out of me once I saw it tho... especially when it was parked next to a beat to poo poo Daewoo that had perfect panel fit

Optimus Subprime posted:

In other news, I installed the pedal spacer rip Paul walker sold me, and holy hell is getting to the upper bolt of the accelerator assembly a huge pain in the rear end. It's nice to have equal height pedals now, though.

I hope you like that thing. It was a bit too aggressive for me (I ended up going with the Breedt THIN spacer in the least aggressive position, that makes it very similar to the pedal spacing in my E46). Also, guys, proof that I actually ship things, if anyone needs a Cobb rear motor mount *wink wink nudge nudge click the ? next to my name and find the link to my SA-Mart thread*

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 20, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

As promised. -11*c start followed by putting it into gear which turns the seatbelt warning on. it's turned off once the seatbelt is pulled far enough out which i did a couple times to shut the buzzer off. Putting a bag of groceries on the passenger seat causes it to go off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQ3aju4BCU

It should be noted that the video doesn't accurately convey how loving loud the god drat thing is.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Powershift posted:

As promised. -11*c start followed by putting it into gear which turns the seatbelt warning on. it's turned off once the seatbelt is pulled far enough out which i did a couple times to shut the buzzer off. Putting a bag of groceries on the passenger seat causes it to go off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQ3aju4BCU

It should be noted that the video doesn't accurately convey how loving loud the god drat thing is.

My prior car (W201 Benz) used to produce a staggering banshee wail from the instrument cluster area on the coldest of days (single digit F or below)...as you said the video does not do it justice. Caused by lack of lubrication on speedometer gears due to cold/dry conditions + age of car...nearly caused a panic attack first time I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZhD6T0yVw

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
I put a hold deposit on a 2015 Focus ST-3 I'm going to take a look at next weekend. I've been shopping around for a few months and finally found a great deal just a few hours away from where I live. I'm pretty excited :)! I've been waiting to decide since the news of the RS coming to Canada surfaced, but since my local dealership jacked up the price $5000 off sticker price it just really helped solidify my decision to look elsewhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IKillForPie posted:

I put a hold deposit on a 2015 Focus ST-3 I'm going to take a look at next weekend. I've been shopping around for a few months and finally found a great deal just a few hours away from where I live. I'm pretty excited :)! I've been waiting to decide since the news of the RS coming to Canada surfaced, but since my local dealership jacked up the price $5000 off sticker price it just really helped solidify my decision to look elsewhere.

Dealers here are advertising them at sticker, but that's still fifty thousand loving dollars

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2016-ford-focus-rs-extremely-limited-quantity/1110524537?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Fully Loaded Price: $49,664 + Taxes & Fee's!!
(and yes it's less than an Sti)

except the 2016 STI still starts under $38k. The CLA 45 AMG is only $50,600. the GLA 45 AMG is $50,500 and both of those got bumped to 365hp this year.

Ford canada is out of their god drat mind.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

Powershift posted:

Dealers here are advertising them at sticker, but that's still fifty thousand loving dollars

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2016-ford-focus-rs-extremely-limited-quantity/1110524537?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

except the 2016 STI still starts under $38k. The CLA 45 AMG is only $50,600. the GLA 45 AMG is $50,500 and both of those got bumped to 365hp this year.

Ford canada is out of their god drat mind.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone paying $50'000+ CAD for an RS is out of their goddamn mind. Not that I think it wouldn't be fun to drive or own but seriously with that much money you can do a whole hell of a lot better than Ford.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Jesus, Is CAD scaled up that high, or is it just grossly overpriced is canada-land? $50k is just a hair away from a new corvette here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Jesus, Is CAD scaled up that high, or is it just grossly overpriced is canada-land? $50k is just a hair away from a new corvette here.

Over the last year, our dollar dropped from $1 usd to $0.75 USD.

We were getting hosed hard on prices at par, now they took away the lube. We're also in a recession, so it's going to be a decade before wages adjust for the lovely dollar.

Still, you can get a BMW M235xi for less than a focus RS. It's about $47k in the us or $48k in canada.

It took 5 years for prices to adjust down with our stronger dollar, and most companies seem to be taking their time to adjust back up. ford on the other hand...