Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

autism is no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Namtab posted:

autism is no joke

It is, however, pretty lame.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

It is, however, pretty lame.

That's just mean.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy this, uh, this Franken Fran series sure does go places in the six chapters I've read, doesn't it...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's great.

It's just not a very... coherent work. But treat it like a series of hilarious one-shots with some occasional callbacks and it's fine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some chapters are excellent. Other chapters are garbage. It's flip-flopping between them, like a dissected fish with a human head graphically grafted onto it flopping around on the floor, gasping for breath.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
quick question since we're on manga chat
I was reading Girl May Kill a while back but then it hit the loli chapter/small girl develops feelings for adult male part of the manga and I noped out.
does that part continue or do they drop it pretty quick?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Some chapters are excellent. Other chapters are garbage. It's flip-flopping between them, like a dissected fish with a human head graphically grafted onto it flopping around on the floor, gasping for breath.

actually it all owns

only problem is that i wish it went a bit softer on some of its characters but that kinda goes against its themes :P

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

actually it all owns

only problem is that i wish it went a bit softer on some of its characters but that kinda goes against its themes :P

The Birthday Girl chapter was really bad, man

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Alright so I'm looking for some recommendations on stuff right now, so here goes:
Is there like a Sherlock and Holmes sorta anime? Basically where smart protag and witty sidekick go around and solve crimes/murders and what not. For a comparison the first few episodes of Sakurako's Investigation follow this pretty nicely but past the fourth they've tended to be a little more dull when it comes to the crime solving thing.

Side question: if anyone in here has played 999/Virtue's Last Reward, is there an anime thats as bat poo poo crazy as either of those games? Or are there any shows where people get trapped in similar circumstances and have to do puzzles and garbage to get out? I watched the start of the Danganronpa anime and did not enjoy myself with that one, but that might be because I played the game beforehand (if that's anything to go off of)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Punchline is written by the same guy who wrote 999/VLR, you should try that as long as high fanservice levels don't bother you.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I heard about it, didn't know it was the same writer. It was already in my crunchyroll queue of "i mean maybe i'll watch one of these later" but now I'll give the first episode a look.

speaking of 999/VLR, you wouldn't happen to know if the watch version preorder thing of Zero Time Dilemma is completely gone already? Amazon says unavailable so that's what I assume it means which makes me really sad because I've missed out on those things twice now

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
You are looking for Detective Conan my friend.

Prepare yourself to witness a 10 year old personally solve over half of all murders in Tokyo during his time there. (I did the calculations)

The only question unanswered is why people with a de-aging potion would use it for a convoluted revenge plot instead of selling it and making literal billions.

NB: I have never actually watched it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

virtues last reward owned what is the punchline premise

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A dude becomes a ghost and has to save the wold by rewinding time a lot. Unfortunately he dies if he sees panties too often.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Unfortunately he dies if he sees panties too often.

same

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Anime must be a dangerous hobby then

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Anime must be a dangerous hobby then

It's a little death

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

It's a little death

:golfclap:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a manga called Dragons Rioting that's a cross between that and ranma saotome, in that you've got a pro martial arts kid trained in the mountains by his father his whole life but he's got a terminal illness where he goes into heart failure if he gets too aroused. He applies to some special all male martial arts school but oh no its actually all female! And they're all scantily clad martial artist badasses!! So he has to survive his daily school life both because of martial arts violence as well as avoiding pantyshots!!!

It's not as good as prison school in terms of being smart with its fanservice but it's good dumb fun and the main character is fantastic

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

You'd think unisex anime schools would have learned to vet their students' genders better at this point.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a manga called Dragons Rioting that's a cross between that and ranma saotome, in that you've got a pro martial arts kid trained in the mountains by his father his whole life but he's got a terminal illness where he goes into heart failure if he gets too aroused. He applies to some special all male martial arts school but oh no its actually all female! And they're all scantily clad martial artist badasses!! So he has to survive his daily school life both because of martial arts violence as well as avoiding pantyshots!!!

It's not as good as prison school in terms of being smart with its fanservice but it's good dumb fun and the main character is fantastic

that sounds fun but im illiterate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pavlov posted:

You'd think unisex anime schools would have learned to vet their students' genders better at this point.

Never.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I like the tits

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What is smart fanservice

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Help Im Alive posted:

What is smart fanservice

Fanservice of girls with glasses and college degrees.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What is smart fanservice

Prison school

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Do you have a thing for girls with eyepatch es too? Because there's like 4 of them in there at least

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What is smart fanservice

eroticism

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Derek Smart lewd photos.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is Daisuki available on PS4?

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm just about finished Togari Boushi no Memoru, and I'm wondering if there's any other anime in that vein. Cute aliens/fantasy creatures going on cute adventures and having fun, with no Japanese high schools in sight.

I've already seen a Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar.

Bottle Fairies? I heard the ending was awful.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zaphiel posted:

I'm just about finished Togari Boushi no Memoru, and I'm wondering if there's any other anime in that vein. Cute aliens/fantasy creatures going on cute adventures and having fun, with no Japanese high schools in sight.

I've already seen a Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar.

Bottle Fairies? I heard the ending was awful.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hakumei-to-mikochi-r16297

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lmao

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

smart fanservice

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prison school is a masterpiece, sharky.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really should go finish the show, the first episode was magical.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

what's some good shows like honey and clover, nodame cantabile, kids on the slope, and your lie in april?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

His and Her Circumstances and Lovely Complex if you're not trying to avoid any comedic elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.