Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

A big fan of the IRS posted:

My past has caught up to me. IRS found $28k I made in 2013 via Paypal thru a PP account I opened in my sisters name and wants me to pay tax/penalty/interest of $11,624. (self.personalfinance)

submitted 22 hours ago * by PaypalFuckUpUGH

Backstory: I had to make an account under my sisters name because of my questionable business past history & I was banned from PayPal in 2007.

Obviously her SSN is tied to the account and bank acct. IRS sent a certified letter today. Everything is claiming it's hers but I need to claim it as mine. Some of this $ I did withdraw and put into my Chase bank account and paid federal taxes on it in 2013.

Problems I need answers to:

What forms to do I need to fill out claiming this money is 100% mine and not my sisters to get out of any mess?

Is there anyway I can consider all of the $ business expenses and I operated at a loss and owe less than 11k ?

I feel like I am getting doubled taxes here. How do I prove what $ came out of the PayPal total and I deposited into my Chase bank acct and already have been taxed on it?

fml. Is the best solution here to work out something w IRS and do installment payments of $500/m for 23 months once everything is claimed under my SSN?

Thanks!

Edit, link: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3t89ut/my_past_has_caught_up_to_me_irs_found_28k_i_made/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Devian666 posted:

Breast or horse equity may be the only solution. Combine them so you have a horse with tits on a houseboat.
Sounds like an MS Paint challenge.

Edit: NM, it's probably someone's fetish.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

A baller posted:

Should I pay off student loans at 6% or invest long-term instead? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 50 minutes ago by singingnoob

If I pay off the student loans, I have a guaranteed 6% return.

If I keep that money invested, I could reasonably average 7%+ over 40 years, though not guaranteed.

Some argue that student loans can't be discharged in bankruptcy, but with my income and low cost of living I am not concerned about that.

More importantly, by keeping it in a portfolio, I still have access to that money in an emergency or if a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity pops up. The price for maintaining this "line of credit" is just the difference between actual investment returns and 6%.

For example, even if I am only able to average 5.5% in the market on $50k in loans, that means I am effectively paying $250/year tohave access to up to $50k at 6%. Is that so bad?

gently caress it, go for broke. :hfive:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

He just needs to fill out Form 345A, Application for a Jail Room Facing the Courtyard.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

If your children need a tutor for first grade they're already hosed, save your money and buy a houseboat or something.

Seriously, I'm just imagining the tutor storming into the parent's office and screaming "Johnny is just not understanding how to stay inside the lines when he colours the balloons, I cannot loving work like this, I quit!"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah it was posted last page, probably around the time it hit the front page of Reddit.

Thanks. I really have the pulse of that web site.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's not spending the money, it's socializing. You can buy the cheapest thing on the menu and still be part of the group. That's not saying he'll get raises from it, but if he's new at his job it's probably a good idea to fit in and not be that guy.

I'm not gloating or rubbing it in anyones faces. They ask if I want anything from Starbucks and I say "nah, I'm fine"

I'm commenting on how shocking it is for these people to spend 5 bucks a day every day on sugary poo poo. And it's not like they all go out and socialize at starbucks. They come back and drink their coffee at their desks while working on their stuff. Usually 1 person runs and gets it for the others. When there are times for social activity, I take part in it.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 19, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I'm not gloating or rubbing it in anyones faces. They ask if I want anything from Starbucks and I say "nah, I'm fine"

I'm commenting on how shocking it is for these people to spend 5 bucks a day every day on sugary poo poo. And it's not like they all go out and socialize at starbucks. They come back and drink their coffee at their desks while working on their stuff. Usually 1 person runs and gets it for the others. When there are times for social activity, I take part in it.

Lmao I read your first post and just assumed it was a troll

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

sugary bullshit

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I poo poo you not they'll get caramel macchiatos

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

sugary bullshit coffee

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

sugary poo poo

Yeah we get it you have superior taste in beverages you can shut up about it now.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

God damnit, can you believe they put sugar in their lunch time gruel?? What a waste of money!!!

!!!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Some sandy vaginas up in this thread.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Not shopping around to different filling stations is bad with money, and also you have to pay attention because some of them are straight unscrupulous, here are the two biggest offenders I've seen near me:

1) What I call Joker pumps, where no matter how lightly you squeeze the trigger, it won't let you just put in a penny's worth, and forces through about 3 cents worth. Shell is the worst at this. Aggravating if you want to buy just 20 dollars without prepaying inside.

2) I've started seeing this crop up at 76 stations, normally the buttons for different octanes are in order, because that makes sense: 87 89 91. At the place I go, it's organised 89 87 91. Literally makes no sense but I wouldn't be surprised if they're raking in the bucks from the people who don't stop to look at the buttons and fill up with 89 thinking it's the cheapest because it's on the left.
I had to look up why the hell USA uses such low octane values. Turns out USA uses a different metric to measure Octane (RON vs MON). So a 95RON=85MON. So the guy putting in 93 is probably putting in 99RON. Hoooollllyyy poo poo what a waste of money.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If you have a car designed for premium, you need to put premium in it. Best case scenario, you've got sensors that impede the timing and just decrease your fuel economy. Worst case, your engine tears itself apart. To be fair, cars that take premium can still get pretty good fuel economy so it's not as much a waste of money as it seems.

E: wait he was for real about that? It's not like they charge you and don't give you the gas. I know this will be rich, coming from me, but sperg harder dude.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 19, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm still chuckling to myself about the earnest and passionate exhortation to drive around in order to avoid gas stations that sabotage their pumps to get an extra 2 cents out of their customers.

Thank you for that, whoever it was.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I knew a guy who used to drive ~6 miles out of his way to get gas at Costco rather than the place on the way home from work. Yep, worth the extra 15 minutes in traffic to save 6 cents a gallon.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

No, you don't understand, he needed to pay with cash for the one-hosed bandit because he is part of an elite cabal known as The Unbanked.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

No, I'm not joking, basically every performance car on the market rated for more power with 93 octane than 87, even NA engines. I don't understand the psyduck, this is fact is stated right in my owners manual. Cars have a had adaptive ignition and valve timing for over a decade, it's not new or rare feature.

Edit: I figured this would be pretty common knowledge among AI folks and I wouldn't have to sit here and defend myself.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 19, 2015

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

No, I'm not joking, basically every performance car on the market rated for more power with 93 octane than 87, even NA engines. I don't understand the psyduck, this is fact is stated right in my owners manual. Cars have a had adaptive ignition and valve timing for over a decade, it's not new or rare feature.

Well good lord, what if the the owners manual says,

Does that mean I can use both?

Edit: I figured this would be pretty common knowledge among AI folks and I wouldn't have to sit here and defend myself.

Read what you quoted. The car has to be tuned to using higher octane fuel to get any benefit from it. If you put 93 in a 87-rated shitbox you're not going to get better performance out of it. The fuel cost savings using regular on a premium-designed engine will not make up for the decreased performance and fuel economy, they're just letting you know you can use it and it won't blow holes in the engine.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I buy either one depending on gas prices and that's perfectly legitimate. It does make more power with 93 and that's not up for debate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oRenj9 posted:

I buy either one depending on gas prices and that's perfectly legitimate. It does make more power with 93 and that's not up for debate.

Do you think you could tell in a blind test?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Can you believe it? They're spending discretionary funds on something that they enjoy to distract themselves from their slowly encroaching mortality being frittered away writing TPS reports. What utter cretins! :monocle:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Today's bad with money is me:

I paid about 7k this year for my live-in girlfriend's dental expenses + invisalign out of pocket. Turns out my employer's health+dental plan covers "domestic partners", and all I had to do to cover it by insurance was to put her name on a form and certify that we were in fact living together and jointly responsible for things.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
I have a BWM story from my co-workers roommate. So this roommate was needing car to move across country and just general use because everything is spread out where he is going versus the public transit here that worked for him or borrowing my co-workers car.

Anyway he originally tries to get financing to buy my co-workers jeep wrangler and gets denied. Now this person has multiple things in collections including unpaid medical bills and his credit is just horrid. So my co-worker and his roommate go to one of those "off the highway" type dealerships that is a mobile home on some plot of land and he finds a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee for around 9000$ with 110k miles on it and he decides to get this jeep however he is declined again BUT here is the best part.

The dealership says they have in-house financing they can offer him even with his terrible credit so they run the numbers and they come back with a loan that will cover the cost of the jeep at 20% APR for 5 years and he accepts it

So he will be at the end of this loan paying double for this 110k mile 10 year old jeep.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

njark posted:

I have a BWM story from my co-workers roommate. So this roommate was needing car to move across country and just general use because everything is spread out where he is going versus the public transit here that worked for him or borrowing my co-workers car.

Anyway he originally tries to get financing to buy my co-workers jeep wrangler and gets denied. Now this person has multiple things in collections including unpaid medical bills and his credit is just horrid. So my co-worker and his roommate go to one of those "off the highway" type dealerships that is a mobile home on some plot of land and he finds a 2005 jeep grand Cherokee for around 9000$ with 110k miles on it and he decides to get this jeep however he is declined again BUT here is the best part.

The dealership says they have in-house financing they can offer him even with his terrible credit so they run the numbers and they come back with a loan that will cover the cost of the jeep at 20% APR for 5 years and he accepts it

So he will be at the end of this loan paying double for this 110k mile 10 year old jeep.

20% sounds like a high interest rate, but if you were the dealer and someone with bad credit and a track record of not paying their bills walked in asking to finance $9000, what rate of return on your investment would you want to receive?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Do you think you could tell in a blind test?

If I had the opportunity to rev it out, yes.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

20% sounds like a high interest rate, but if you were the dealer and someone with bad credit and a track record of not paying their bills walked in asking to finance $9000, what rate of return on your investment would you want to receive?

A few years ago, while my friend was in the Army, he financed a $20,000 car at 17% interest. I guess, at the time, the thought that was a normal rate to pay for a car loan.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

njark posted:

I mean, that's super BWM, but some hole-in-the-wall dealerships are legit. A good friend of mine ran his "dealership" out of what was basically a shed with a parking lot (the bare minimum he needed, legally), did all the wrenching himself back at his fully kitted-out home garage because he's a car nerd, and passed the savings on to his customers.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I went to get coffee with a few coworkers today and instead ended up buying an iced green tea for $2. I had green tea packets at my desk and ice in the freezer.

Am I a bad person, yes/no ???

ShadowHawk posted:

Today's bad with money is me:

I paid about 7k this year for my live-in girlfriend's dental expenses + invisalign out of pocket. Turns out my employer's health+dental plan covers "domestic partners", and all I had to do to cover it by insurance was to put her name on a form and certify that we were in fact living together and jointly responsible for things.

Can you retroactively bill/change your insurance because dude, that legit sucks.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Senf posted:

Can you retroactively bill/change your insurance because dude, that legit sucks.
At this point probably not, because it happened in a prior month. I may have an appeals process to retroactively claim benefits then, but I'm doubtful.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Also, to explain why I was confused, in the state of California "Domestic Partner" means the state's equivalent of civil unions (ie marriage).

My company's definition of "Domestic Partner" doesn't require me to register as such with the state's domestic partner registry, and I don't need to be "married" or legal equivalent. I just have to sign an affidavit saying we are in fact living together and financially responsible for eachother.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

oRenj9 posted:

You misunderstand what is happening. You have a car that's designed for 93 (hits higher compression) but can adapt down to lower octanes to avoid knocking. It's not that it produces more power with 93 but that your engine deliberately cripples itself to avoid being damaged by 87/89. You even mentioned you had a performance car that's designed to use higher octane fuel. Everyone in the thread has said there's no benefit to using a higher octane than what your car is designed to use.

The opposite case, putting 93 in a car meant for 87, gives absolutely no benefit because there's no more energy in 93 than 87. None. If you put 95 in your car meant for 93 you'll get no benefit either.

Real BWM: A few months ago a coworker bought an expensive carbon fiber commuter bike. He talked about it a fair bit before buying it but now that he has the bike he's been oddly silent and still commutes by car. I've seen him use it maybe three times.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

canyoneer posted:

I knew a guy who used to drive ~6 miles out of his way to get gas at Costco rather than the place on the way home from work. Yep, worth the extra 15 minutes in traffic to save 6 cents a gallon.

If you're paying with your Costco card you're probably saving alot more than that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ShadowHawk posted:

Also, to explain why I was confused, in the state of California "Domestic Partner" means the state's equivalent of civil unions (ie marriage).

My company's definition of "Domestic Partner" doesn't require me to register as such with the state's domestic partner registry, and I don't need to be "married" or legal equivalent. I just have to sign an affidavit saying we are in fact living together and financially responsible for eachother.

Probably because not every state is California, and some did (or do, looking forward to how Kentucky plays out) actively deny partnerships to gay couples. The health insurance benefits verbiage was probably not immediately updated following the Supreme Court decision.

You didn't find some magical loophole, you found the "marriage benefits for people who do not want to or cannot say that they are married" wink wink nudge nudge section.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

At this point probably not, because it happened in a prior month. I may have an appeals process to retroactively claim benefits then, but I'm doubtful.

Maybe you can get lucky, but I can't think of an insurance policy that would cover her retroactively.

On the plus side, dental insurance generally sucks. Most of the time you're stuck with half the costs (as opposed to 80 or 90% with medical), so it's not like you lost a full 7k.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Volmarias posted:

Probably because not every state is California, and some did (or do, looking forward to how Kentucky plays out) actively deny partnerships to gay couples. The health insurance benefits verbiage was probably not immediately updated following the Supreme Court decision.

You didn't find some magical loophole, you found the "marriage benefits for people who do not want to or cannot say that they are married" wink wink nudge nudge section.
To be clear, we're not a gay couple by any definition (I'm a man and my girlfriend is a woman, neither transgendered). I had indeed known the company promised this benefit to make things right for those who couldn't be legally married, but it never occurred to me they'd benefit those who just didn't want to.

Krispy Kareem posted:

On the plus side, dental insurance generally sucks. Most of the time you're stuck with half the costs (as opposed to 80 or 90% with medical), so it's not like you lost a full 7k.
This part is true. Looking up the policy seems I'm only out 2.2k or so. 2.7k for what the insurance would have covered, but subtracting a 500 dollar cash discount I got for not using insurance (note: a lot of dentists do this, if you pay out of pocket make sure you ask!).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Volmarias posted:

This existed in CA in 2008/9 when I lived there. Kaiser is one group that does it that way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

This part is true. Looking up the policy seems I'm only out 2.2k or so. 2.7k for what the insurance would have covered, but subtracting a 500 dollar cash discount I got for not using insurance (note: a lot of dentists do this, if you pay out of pocket make sure you ask!).

See, there you go. And you get a Good Guy award for fixing your girlfriend's teeth, thereby improving her looks and making it easier for her to find an even better boyfriend.

Good Guy ShadowHawk.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

See, there you go. And you get a Good Guy award for fixing your girlfriend's teeth, thereby improving her looks and making it easier for her to find an even better boyfriend.

Good Guy ShadowHawk.

Haha, :drat:

When you've got major purchases like that, it can be worth using them to hit the minimum spends on credit card signup bonuses to net some miles (or just do cashback or other rewards).

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Desuwa posted:

You misunderstand what is happening. You have a car that's designed for 93 (hits higher compression) but can adapt down to lower octanes to avoid knocking. It's not that it produces more power with 93 but that your engine deliberately cripples itself to avoid being damaged by 87/89. You even mentioned you had a performance car that's designed to use higher octane fuel. Everyone in the thread has said there's no benefit to using a higher octane than what your car is designed to use.

The opposite case, putting 93 in a car meant for 87, gives absolutely no benefit because there's no more energy in 93 than 87. None. If you put 95 in your car meant for 93 you'll get no benefit either.
Not only that, putting 87 in an engine built for 93 because you feel like saving a few cents is nearly as boneheaded as putting 93 in an engine built for 87. The car doesn't have some magic octane detector, it just figures out your fuel/air charge is predetonating and retards timing accordingly. You'll still get engine knocking, just less of it until you put in proper fuel.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Not only that, putting 87 in an engine built for 93 because you feel like saving a few cents is nearly as boneheaded as putting 93 in an engine built for 87. The car doesn't have some magic octane detector, it just figures out your fuel/air charge is predetonating and retards timing accordingly. You'll still get engine knocking, just less of it until you put in proper fuel.

Just buy earplugs or turn the radio up. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

Just buy earplugs or turn the radio up. Problem solved.

Save money by buying the wrong gas so you have enough money to buy earplugs to drown out engine noise! #frugalhaxx

• Locked thread