Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ossipago posted:

I had let my Linkedin profile go for a while and came back to discover they no longer consider sharing group membership a 2nd degree connection, so you're now hit with the "how do you know (name)" questions that can prevent you from connecting if you don't have another legitimate reason to know someone...

...except with the mobile app, which still lets you connect with reckless abandon with a single click to anyone you're in a group with (unless that individual has a setting to prevent it). The caveat here is no personalization to the invite, but it seems a lesser evil in order to quickly bolster your connections. There's a handy combined feed of recent posts to all the groups you're in, so you can just scroll and connect to all the active posters super fast. I invited 30 contacts all with gigantic networks, mostly recruiters, in under 10 minutes this way. Yay for mobile, I guess.

If anything Linkedin has value since it has a better chance of setting you up for a resume submission to actual human or quick elevator position moment with a recruiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
As someone looking for a new sales career (which is very broad I know), should I put something in my LinkedIn profile saying that I'm actively looking for a new job or what's the best way to go about that so passive traffic/people just viewing my profile know that I'm looking.

I'm not worried about current employer knowing I'm looking or anything like that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had a recruiter message me out of the blue for a full time job with the org I'm currently with part time (I'm in school - doing coop / part time here). Said no because I'm still in school for another year but we talked for a bit and I sent him my program coordinator details because he's basically looking for grads from our program, just didn't know the program even existed. It was a good interaction, and I'll keep him in mind for when I graduate. It didn't really work for me in this instance but I guess opportunities really do present themselves on LinkedIn.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I had a recruiter message me out of the blue for a full time job with the org I'm currently with part time (I'm in school - doing coop / part time here). Said no because I'm still in school for another year but we talked for a bit and I sent him my program coordinator details because he's basically looking for grads from our program, just didn't know the program even existed. It was a good interaction, and I'll keep him in mind for when I graduate. It didn't really work for me in this instance but I guess opportunities really do present themselves on LinkedIn.

well often you can fish for email and other contact info for future use.

If anything Linkedin is useful for getting your resume looked at by a actual human

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I currently have a part time job that I want to keep but I'm looking for an additional part time job. Is there a good way to indicate this on my linkedin profile?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've been plastering together my LinkedIn profile over the past few days. It still needs work but I'm curious about a few things; how much is "too much?" I know that you want to keep resumes brief but because of how LinkedIn works is it best to just cram as much as you can on there? Also, I'll be finishing college soon and I'll have a BS in computer science with a math minor and a BFA. How much experience do other goons have finding work with those kinds of degrees?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Anyone had any success messaging an HR person who posted a job on LinkedIn?

If so what did you say?

I'd like to connect with a few people who posted jobs I applied for but not sure if it's worth it or that comes off the wrong way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've been plastering together my LinkedIn profile over the past few days. It still needs work but I'm curious about a few things; how much is "too much?" I know that you want to keep resumes brief but because of how LinkedIn works is it best to just cram as much as you can on there? Also, I'll be finishing college soon and I'll have a BS in computer science with a math minor and a BFA. How much experience do other goons have finding work with those kinds of degrees?

I used to go into narrative mode on my LinkedIn but I switched to it essentially mirroring my resume but with a few more (not excessively more) bullet points than my one-page version.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Is there a way I can tell if someone denied my LinkedIn connection request? A person I could swear I've already sent a connection request to keeps reappearing in my "people you may know" section, and I don't know if my previous connection request with them is still pending or has been denied or what. I could just hit that "connect" button again, but if they've denied it the first time, I'd rather not spam them with another one.

Also, in which section of my profile do I put the fact that I'm swole af

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 13, 2015

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Siliziumleben posted:

Is there a way I can tell if someone denied my LinkedIn connection request?

I get lots of requests from recruiters, which I almost always ignore, but I never reject the requests explicitly. I mean, out of the choices "click yeah sure on LinkedIn", "click nah on LinkedIn", "don't click anything at all anywhere", I pick the last one. Dunno how it works but I wouldn't be surprised if it only reports back to you if someone chose one of the first two, but not for the last one.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I don't think anyone ever sees what happened to a connection request unless it's accepted. I am almost positive it works the same way as friend requests on Facebook do. So feel free to deny/ignore.

If someone is still available to connect after you are sure you sent one, more than likely they simply have not logged in to see it yet. Most people are not on Linkedin every day or even every week.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Actually, LinkedIn just updated their "sent invitations" page and now you can see exactly when you've sent someone an invitation.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

That link 404'd for me.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
I've just applied to an interesting position. I found who I think is the hiring manager on LinkedIn and I wondering if you think its worth messaging him. He's got the same background as I do and the same major so I figured I'd ask how his education and degree helped him in his current role. He also used to perform the same job I applied to which may help me determine a good fit. Should I message this person and if so, how should I word it?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Big Spoon posted:

I've just applied to an interesting position. I found who I think is the hiring manager on LinkedIn and I wondering if you think its worth messaging him. He's got the same background as I do and the same major so I figured I'd ask how his education and degree helped him in his current role. He also used to perform the same job I applied to which may help me determine a good fit. Should I message this person and if so, how should I word it?

That seems like a kinda boring, formal question. If youre gonna message someone, ask them something they'd wanna reply to, or just use it to call attention to your baller rear end linkedin since they'll probably visit it if theyre considering you as a candidate.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

Do I list MOOC certificates (from edX, Coursera etc.) in LinkedIn's "certifications" section, or are those not "professional" enough?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I would. Recruiters/HR dont really read that far down anyway, its something you can point to and say "I am committed to staying at the forefront of technology and education" or some similar line employers like.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I have all of my Coursera certificates listed on my LinkedIn profile, but I have no idea how much difference it makes.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

As someone who makes hiring decisions, I'd recommend it. The courses themselves may not be particularly valuable, but it signals to me you are motivated enough and are eager to learn more. That means you can learn what you need to be successful on my team.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

gently caress yeah, all star profile and not even publicly available

Gonna tweak a few more things and then put myself out there.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
I've read through the first few pages of this thread, got my profile up to all-star status, and have joined dozens of groups for local networking as well as my industry. I'm at a point where I want to start making connections with recruiters, but when I try to connect, I get asked "How do you know this person?" with no option to ask to connect randomly. I'm sure this is a basic question but I can't find instructions in the OP on how to deal with this. The only option that doesn't require me to jump through a hoop (name the company, or their email address) is to say that their a "friend," which doesn't seem right.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You select friend.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I wish there was a way I could specify in my profile that I'm interesting in moving to/working in a different area than I currently live in, and do this such that recruiters could see it but regular people wouldn't. I don't suppose this already exists, does it? Surely I'm not the only for whom this would come in handy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The "one face for the whole world" is also a large part of why linkedin is so successful

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
I had a recruiter reach out to me on LinkedIn about several companies, including one of our competitors. He passed my resume on to their HR department and they wanted he said that they wanted me to film a video interview, however, I never heard from them. I reached out to my old boss who now works at that company about working there and he just directly passed my resume on to their regional director. The regional director then set up an interview directly with me for next Friday. The recruiter did not seem to know this and he told me thought they took the position down. The recruiter has asked me a few times on progress on setting up an interview.

I'm not exactly how it works between recruiters and companies, he originally informed me of the position there, however, my old boss was the one that got me directly to the director to set up the interview. Do I need to keep involving the recruiter or is he hurting my chances for a job? It is for a PM position for a very large specialized construction company.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dump the recruiter. He knows nothing.

You already have an in with the company. Now that you have the interview it's all down to you

tubz
Apr 28, 2006
Here for the chicks!
I'm trying to network on this linked in and have started applying for jobs. When applying should I post a plain-text resume in addition to my formatted pdf one?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

tubz posted:

I'm trying to network on this linked in and have started applying for jobs. When applying should I post a plain-text resume in addition to my formatted pdf one?

In general, I like delivering my resume in PDF form (as opposed to DOC or TXT) because it mostly takes care of the possibility of someone (or some application) accidentally mangling the formatting, having their window be too small, or having their cat jump on the keyboard and start typing gibberish or something. It's basically a lot easier to control how your resume looks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there a good way to indicate on LinkedIn that you're interested in relocating to a particular area? I don't want to change my location, as that would be inaccurate and a little too public, but I'd like to have something better than messaging individual recruiters.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You could put it as part of your summary. I don't know how much it will show up in searches though

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

ultrafilter posted:

Is there a good way to indicate on LinkedIn that you're interested in relocating to a particular area? I don't want to change my location, as that would be inaccurate and a little too public, but I'd like to have something better than messaging individual recruiters.

I'd change your location and then update your profile to state where you are today and that you're seeking a position in the new location. This way you'll show up in searches.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ultrafilter posted:

I asked about the same thing a bit up the page:

Cicero posted:

I wish there was a way I could specify in my profile that I'm interesting in moving to/working in a different area than I currently live in, and do this such that recruiters could see it but regular people wouldn't. I don't suppose this already exists, does it? Surely I'm not the only for whom this would come in handy.
So I'm guessing no, there's no way to do this. Which is weird because it seems like a really common use case.

app posted:

I'd change your location and then update your profile to state where you are today and that you're seeking a position in the new location. This way you'll show up in searches.
Right but that basically broadcasts "I want to move/change jobs" to everyone you're connected to. There really needs to be a "I'm looking for jobs right now in [location]" flag that's only visible to recruiters (and automatically resets after a couple weeks to keep the info relatively accurate).

edit: apparently you can at least turn off the automatic notifications when you update your profile: http://www.job-hunt.org/social-networking/LinkedIn-job-search/managing-linkedin-stealth-settings.shtml

Cicero fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 13, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
+1 for changing your location so you show up in searches. As you discovered you can disable notifications.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to get LinkedIn to stop recommending me jobs completely outside of my experience range on the dashboard? Or should I just ignore it completely. It keeps asking me if I'm interested in applying for Vice President of Engineering and I don't know if I can make it show me anything meaningful at all.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any way to get LinkedIn to stop recommending me jobs completely outside of my experience range on the dashboard? Or should I just ignore it completely. It keeps asking me if I'm interested in applying for Vice President of Engineering and I don't know if I can make it show me anything meaningful at all.

I believe this has more to do with the posters of those jobs paying extra so they show up as "featured" or something. If you think about it from a business' standpoint, it makes a bit of sense to make sure your most senior positions that are open get seen as much as possible. But I could be wrong and this is another example of bad algorithmic matching on Linkedin's end too.

It's also dumb from another perspective, since C-level execs most frequently get new gigs by word-of-mouth, not random mostly-untargeted Linkedin emails.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Bumping thread. Hoping that means everyone has gotten a job though!

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Is there still that service that helps edit or build linkedin profiles somewhere? I've gotten most of this stuff setup, it's more like I would prefer a professional or possibly a business to do editing and suggestions since asking friends and family is delayed and rife with mistakes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's a waste of time. The OP is really what a professional would end up doing anyway. Hell that Resume2Interviews guy literally copied your resume to your profile and added you to a few relevant groups. Save your money

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks I'll just have to run it by a few people instead of a service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BERGfu posted:

Thanks I'll just have to run it by a few people instead of a service.

If you post I will review.

• Locked thread