Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So spoiler talk aside. I've stumbled onto the makings of a fun little format when trying to teach draft archetypes for BFZ.

40 card decks. Up to two of a common, uncommons are singleton. All cards must come from a single draftable pool (in this case BFZ) It's really caught on with the local playgroup AND improved their BFZ drafting.

If you were to attend a battle of the drafts tournament which was open to all legal sets from Onslaught out, what would you bring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

I'm wondering if Wastes won't be the only type of ♦ producing basic land since it occupies a common slot instead of the land slot in the booster.

If they want these things to be available in sealed, wouldn't they need to put ♦ lands in 3-4 common slots ?

Well, to pay diamond costs, you probably just need colorless mana. You're more than likely going to be paying for it with Eldrazi Scions.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

"And then they will discover that it is a fake!"
"But I don't think that they will, because any imperfection in the forgery will appear to be a result of the change in block structure. So with a seemingly legitimate card art in one hand, and an ambiguous blog post on the other, I ask you Captain, what conclusion would you draw?"

"That's why you came to me, isn't it Gideon? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well it worked; and you'll get what you want, a war between Zendikar and the Eldrazi, and if your conscience is bothering you, you can soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just secured the safety of the entire multiverse, and all it cost was was the life of a few vampires, a lot of kor, and the self respect of one Planeswalker. I'd call that a bargain."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh yeah, by the way, it looks like the bismuth only really appears from Kozilek spawns. If we get two more waste basics with different art, I can guarantee we'll get a Ulamog chalky one and then whatever the gently caress the iceberg makes.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ramos posted:

Oh yeah, by the way, it looks like the bismuth only really appears from Kozilek spawns. If we get two more waste basics with different art, I can guarantee we'll get a Ulamog chalky one and then whatever the gently caress the iceberg makes.

A rock, since according to the fatpack lorebook, Emrakul doesn't affect the land at all. Living beings, on the other hand...

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PJOmega posted:

So spoiler talk aside. I've stumbled onto the makings of a fun little format when trying to teach draft archetypes for BFZ.

40 card decks. Up to two of a common, uncommons are singleton. All cards must come from a single draftable pool (in this case BFZ) It's really caught on with the local playgroup AND improved their BFZ drafting.

If you were to attend a battle of the drafts tournament which was open to all legal sets from Onslaught out, what would you bring?

Did you post about this before? I feel like it's come up. The answer is Mirrodin Block.

2 Ancient Den
2 Darksteel Citadel
2 Great Furnace
2 Island
2 Seat of the Synod
2 Swamp
2 Tree of Tales
2 Vault of Whispers

1 Ornithopter
2 Disciple of the Vault
2 Arcbound Worker
2 Arcbound Stinger
2 Frogmite
2 Somber Hoverguard
2 Myr Enforcer

2 Chromatic Sphere
1 Skullclamp
2 Bonesplitter
2 Cranial Plating
1 Genesis Chamber
1 Tooth of Chiss-Goria
2 Thoughtcast

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
No Shrapnel Blast?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some Numbers posted:

No Shrapnel Blast?

It's tough to support, the deck only has 4 sources of red mana, and it's more important to play Disciple of the Vault, Thoughtcast, and Somber Hoverguard. If the mana can support red, I'd cut Tooth and an Arcbound Stinger to add Shrapnel Blast and Atog.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PJOmega posted:

Innistrad would be incredible, since you get every power uncommon for the mill deck and a guaranteed Spider Spawning + Memory's Journey + Runic repetition, plus two each of Mulch, Dream Twist, Forbidden Alchemy, Gnaw to the Bone, and Armored Skaab. Aggro decks don't appreciate it when you pay 2G to gain 14 life.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Legendary Cube is a fun change up. I'm dating 5-8 signets plus whatever the heel else I want to play and it's going well. Should I crack my packs or just sell them?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

wildfire1 posted:

Legendary Cube is a fun change up. I'm dating 5-8 signets

;-*

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Izzet Signet is making sparks fly, but I'm feeling something spiritual with Orzhov Signet.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

Innistrad would be incredible, since you get every power uncommon for the mill deck and a guaranteed Spider Spawning + Memory's Journey + Runic repetition, plus two each of Mulch, Dream Twist, Forbidden Alchemy, Gnaw to the Bone, and Armored Skaab. Aggro decks don't appreciate it when you pay 2G to gain 14 life.

What list would you build?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

On dominaria a scavenger, on mirrodin a predator.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PJOmega posted:

So I get to play 24 rares?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They had an interview with Owen T on LR this week. He came off pretty well I thought...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Chamale posted:

What list would you build?

I was thinking about this a bit last night, and what I came up with was something like this:

//Lands 17
2 Evolving Wilds
7 Island
6 Forest
2 Swamp

//Creatures 12
2 Armored Skaab
2 Selhoff Occultist
2 Dawntreader Elk
2 Deranged Assistant
2 Screeching Skaab
1 Falkenrath Noble
1 Tower Geist

// Spells 11
2 Mulch
2 Silent Departure
2 Forbidden Alchemy
2 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Spider Spawning
1 Memory's Journey
1 Runic Repetition

The Fortress Crabs feel like they should be something else, but I can't think of another defensive creature to fit the slot. Maybe Kessig Recluse? It's possible they should just be Avacyn's Pilgrim or Dream Twist instead.

e: BFZ would actually be kind of insane, too.

Niton fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 19, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Niton posted:

The Fortress Crabs feel like they should be something else, but I can't think of another defensive creature to fit the slot. Maybe Kessig Recluse?

A Falkenrath Noble and a Tower Geist?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Chamale posted:

A Falkenrath Noble and a Tower Geist?

These are actually really good ideas! I was fixating on commons looking for replacements, so I wasn't even thinking of uncommon options.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chamale posted:

Mirrodin Block

What about Trinket Mage? Having two extra copies of your Skullclamp seems ridiculous to me, and in pseudo-limited I don't think that throwing off the curve is that big of a deal. It can also get a few decent second choices if you draw the Skullclamp.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

What about Trinket Mage? Having two extra copies of your Skullclamp seems ridiculous to me, and in pseudo-limited I don't think that throwing off the curve is that big of a deal. It can also get a few decent second choices if you draw the Skullclamp.

Great idea, thank you! I took out one Bonesplitter and Tooth of Chiss-Goria to add the Trinket Mages. I've been running the Mirrodin deck against the Innistrad deck, Spider Spawning can occasionally win by clogging the board and milling but the matchup clearly favours Affinity.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
GP Pittsburgh capped out today at 2500. The TO is trying to find a way to stuff more seats in the venue. Hope anyone that was going pre-registered.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

GP Pittsburgh capped out today at 2500. The TO is trying to find a way to stuff more seats in the venue. Hope anyone that was going pre-registered.

Well I guess that makes my decision of whether I'm going or not easy. Good, I didn't actually want to play but I know I would have.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Well I guess that makes my decision of whether I'm going or not easy. Good, I didn't actually want to play but I know I would have.

This is a common thing I see about this hobby. I mostly see it with my friends who started grinding seriously and feel like they have something to prove. You don't have to play this game. If it's not fun, back away and come back to it later - if at all. Don't turn into one of those joyless dudes who feel obligated to do events. That's why we have "that guy."

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

This is a common thing I see about this hobby. I mostly see it with my friends who started grinding seriously and feel like they have something to prove. You don't have to play this game. If it's not fun, back away and come back to it later - if at all. Don't turn into one of those joyless dudes who feel obligated to do events. That's why we have "that guy."

The best Magic-related decision I ever made was to cube with friends more and play everything else way less. The game is not necessarily the hobby!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

That's why we have eurogames, let's be honest.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Same. I still really enjoy following and thinking about Magic, but I've moved past the point where trying to keep up with the Joneses is feasible or healthy for me, to the extent that it ever was. Trying to grind GPs or Opens seems like purgatory to me, but more power for anyone for whom it works.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I mostly agree. Last year was the 1st time I've ever really done big events. This year I had more of a come to jesus moment, that while I like events i'm not going ot win a GP so it is a good bit of $$ for not much return. More fun to just get away for a weekend with some friends. i do like playing modern and this is close so i'm just going to have 9 matches and enjoy playing my deck. Next year I think I'm going to go to gencon and just have a broader more casual gaming experience. I might do team sealed in march because then I get to spend a day playing directly with my friends, that sounds pretty reasonable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This standard and draft format has been bad enough I probably dissected news items like New Kozilek or Shadows of Innistrad and what it means way more than I've been playing.

This is not a good format at all, and I don't have the time or skill to grind out odd events - sure Modern events fire all the time, but its not so easy to attend random daytime events or weeknight events.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jassi007 posted:

I'm actually shocked they capped a constructed gp at 60$. Like I'm going and it's actually just the worst fun + worst value to play the main event.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

This standard and draft format has been bad enough I probably dissected news items like New Kozilek or Shadows of Innistrad and what it means way more than I've been playing.

This is not a good format at all, and I don't have the time or skill to grind out odd events - sure Modern events fire all the time, but its not so easy to attend random daytime events or weeknight events.

I agree that standard is bad and homogeneous - but why don't you like BFZ draft? I'm enjoying it more than anything since Triple Khans.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm actually shocked they capped a constructed gp at 60$. Like I'm going and it's actually just the worst fun + worst value to play the main event.

Bitcoin didn't rise of out the ashes of the Magic The Gathering Online eXchange because Magic players are good at risk assessment, you know.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lancelot posted:

I agree that standard is bad and homogeneous - but why don't you like BFZ draft? I'm enjoying it more than anything since Triple Khans.

There are too many strategies that actively don't work and culminate in a mess of a draft. Green being actively unplayable doesn't help.

When LSV says a color or archetype isn't good in a draft format, if the format is good, that can mean its a sleeper archetype to get into because you get all the cards you need passed to you. In a bad format like this one, it doesn't matter, green still sucks and taking the open green cards is still a losing recipe. Its kind of the same issue with Converge and Processors - they're mostly random mechanics because they're entirely synergy based cards to work, but you're not terribly likely to actually get them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 19, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

People like Modern alot for some dumb reason.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

People like Modern alot for some dumb reason.

Variety of decks mostly. The metagame is huge.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Variety of decks mostly. The metagame is huge.

Hope you guessed the highest frequency decks and sideboarded for it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

There are too many strategies that actively don't work and culminate in a mess of a draft. Green being actively unplayable doesn't help.

When LSV says a color or archetype isn't good in a draft format, if the format is good, that can mean its a sleeper archetype to get into because you get all the cards you need passed to you. In a bad format like this one, it doesn't matter, green still sucks and taking the open green cards is still a losing recipe. Its kind of the same issue with Converge and Processors - they're mostly random mechanics because they're entirely synergy based cards to work, but you're not terribly likely to actually get them.

Yeah green is probably unplayable which is why it didn't just win a GP

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Weren't the finals of GP Atlanta 2 G/x decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

After listening to the most recent Limited Resources, I'm really starting to wonder what happened to green in BFZ limited. Because these sets get heavily playtested in-house, I highly doubt they would have accidentally pushed out a set where green was this underpowered -- it's possible, but it would mean they're really dropping the ball in development.

It's more likely that green was purposely neutered in BFZ -- but to what end? Are they developing the green decks in OTG to support BFZ green? It seems unlikely -- the format will be OTG, OTG, BFZ, so the green in BFZ will have very little impact on the limited environment at that point.

Was it brought down in power to encourage building synergy decks over beatdown decks? Green is the color of on-curve, square bodies -- it sounds like a cop-out from the design perspective.

• Locked thread