Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did Rubin put up big money on Christie on inTrade or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

she's just a loving idiot

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't like people saying this latest Trumpism is a Godwin or whatever. Like, this isn't comparing something he's saying/advocating to something the Nazis did. He's literally calling for the same actions that some of the early Nazis called for. Like, this isn't 'thing A is like thing B' this is 'Thing A IS ALSO thing B'

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Remember, the nazis had some good ideas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
That looks supremely uncomfortable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

I don't think Cruz realizes what debating idgaf Obama would be like.

He realizes it would boost his cred with the right wing base. Doesn't matter if he'd win or lose the debate, it'd only endear him further to the extreme right. It'd be dumb as hell for Obama to pay any attention to Cruz on this and they both know it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

N. Senada posted:

That looks supremely uncomfortable.

chi bello vuole apparire, un pò deve soffrire

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not entirely true.

For all the things I want to say about John McCain, he largely was an adult.

hows that old beach boys song go ? bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb iran!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

baw posted:

chi bello vuole apparire, un pò deve soffrire

That man does not look good with or without his weird ear mufflers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

He realizes it would boost his cred with the right wing base. Doesn't matter if he'd win or lose the debate, it'd only endear him further to the extreme right. It'd be dumb as hell for Obama to pay any attention to Cruz on this and they both know it.

I'm not sure. I think if Obama just clowned on him people would flock to a stronger Tea Party hero. Pretending to be a persecuted minority is intrinsic to the Tea Partier's identity but they want their leaders to be tough manly men so Cruz looking like a fool against the hated Obama wouldn't help his cred. I do think Cruz just calling him out is good for his image but an actual debate wouldn't necessarily be so. Cruz is probably narcissistic enough to think his success at college debate team and winning on technical points would translate well into a real televised debate but I'm not sure if he would actually agree to one since I think he has more to lose than to gain.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Conservatives must willfully ignore the Truth, lest it infect their malleable brains

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monkey Fracas posted:

Conservatives must willfully ignore the Truth, lest it infect their malleable brains

"Reality has a known liberal bias"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"I can't hear you LALALALALALALA"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Actually, just noticed that Obama was clearly photoshopped on. Looked around and found a Snopes page about the picture.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/earflap.asp

Turns out it was originally a picture of an army vet at a GWB veteran's event back in 2005.

edit: not rally, vet event

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^
So that guy is likely dead and he's being used for an agenda.

Evil Fluffy posted:

What if Clinton took the offer?

12 11 hours.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hows that old beach boys song go ? bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb iran!

That's substantively different from stirring up Islamphobia.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

computer parts posted:

You don't remember "Nuke Mecca"?

Mecca, being in Saudi Arabia where the 9/11 hijackers were from, would have been a more appropriate response than invading iraq.

A good bumper sticker

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
What's with the whole "homeless veterans before refugees" talking point? I've heard it trotted out at work about a dozen times this week. Is it just a way to give the impression of being compassionate while secretly having some pretty uncompassionate opinions?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Locobono posted:

What's with the whole "homeless veterans before refugees" talking point? I've heard it trotted out at work about a dozen times this week. Is it just a way to give the impression of being compassionate while secretly having some pretty uncompassionate opinions?

Because the GOP/Tea Party are the 'Support Our Troops' crowd, even though the overwhelming amount of GOP members vote against Veterans issues time and again, and actively strip away Veterans benefits.

Because basically, if you support refugees you support terrorists and you are supporting terrorists over 'ARE TROOPS' even though these morons don't give a poo poo about veterans.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Radish posted:

I'm not sure. I think if Obama just clowned on him people would flock to a stronger Tea Party hero.

No, Fluffy's right. Remember that there's a significant portion of people who believe that Ryan beat Biden in the VP debate and that Hillary got schooled by the Benghazi committee. Cruz would win by virtue of existing, even if Obama literally put Teddy over his knee and spanked him on live TV. Even absolute worst case, he would 'have courage' and get a poll boost from that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I hope Joementum can forgive me for posting Erik Erikson links but:

Erik Erikson is American so for me this is true. And I hate ISIS a whole bunch

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
"I'm no fan of Cruz, but boy did Obama disgrace the office of the Presidency by..."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Lowtax could take Ted Cruz

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's substantively different from stirring up Islamphobia.
the joke has aged, but not matured.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the joke has aged, but not matured.

Like a quarter wedge of cheese from a year ago that you found hidden behind a refridgerator drawer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
First step in Hillary's plan to defeat ISIS: defeat ISIS! :bravo:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CommieGIR posted:

Because the GOP/Tea Party are the 'Support Our Troops' crowd, even though the overwhelming amount of GOP members vote against Veterans issues time and again, and actively strip away Veterans benefits.

Because basically, if you support refugees you support terrorists and you are supporting terrorists over 'ARE TROOPS' even though these morons don't give a poo poo about veterans.

It's the Moving Goalposts of Empathy. I don't care about group X, why aren't we looking after group Y more? I mean you proposed helping group Y, but what about group Z?

In Finland it's been "We don't want swarthy young men from Iraq, we want women and children from Syria."

Once it was women and children from Syria, it was "What about homeless Finnish people?"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

First step in Hillary's plan to defeat ISIS: defeat ISIS! :bravo:

Well duh, you can't defeat ISIS without defeating ISIS :rolleyes:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FAUXTON posted:

That's because the Quran lays out a fairly conservative tax code as long as you're a Muslim.

From what (very) little I've read about Islamic finance it owns. Gambling on bad things happening to people is forbidden so the community must come together to help :)

Really Islam does a lot of rad things, it's just some desperate goobers in very bleak countries have co-opted the oh hi Mr. FBI Dude I was just posting some complementary things about Isla

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tempest_56 posted:

No, Fluffy's right. Remember that there's a significant portion of people who believe that Ryan beat Biden in the VP debate and that Hillary got schooled by the Benghazi committee. Cruz would win by virtue of existing, even if Obama literally put Teddy over his knee and spanked him on live TV. Even absolute worst case, he would 'have courage' and get a poll boost from that.

That would be the case if Cruz was the only option. They rallied behind Ryan since he was the nominee and they couldn't admit defeat. If Obama had a better performance than primary candidate Cruz in a debate they certainly would try and pretend that didn't happen or how it was unfair but he would start dropping in the polls and they would be looking for a stronger guy since that's all they respect. Paul Ryan is a RINO now since he failed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Texas Ag commish thinks he needs to "weigh in" (he is fat and won largely by campaigning that he would end the ban on school kids bringing cupcakes for their classmates on their birthdays)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

liberals would declare obama the victor and conservatives would declare cruz the victor. i don't think undecideds exist nowadays so a debate between those two would serve no other purpose than to give each other airtime. obama can do that at will, and cruz can't. why help cruz garner attention?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ron Jeremy posted:

Mecca, being in Saudi Arabia where the 9/11 hijackers were from, would have been a more appropriate response than invading iraq.

A good bumper sticker
Saudi Arabia is still one of the primary bankrollers of ISIS too

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

so here's your list of Republican Legislative Ideas to Solve a Totally Not Real Problem

Rep. Mike McCaul (R-Tex.): The American Security Against Foreign Enemies Act of 2015
The official vehicle of the House Republicans, which would add new layers to refugee background checks. Among them are "a thorough background investigation" by the FBI, an analysis by the Department of Homeland Security, and a monthly report on who's been let in. The refugees covered include anyone who "has been present in Iraq or Syria at any time on or after March 1, 2011."

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.): The Terrorist Refugee Infiltration Prevention Act of 2015
Introduced Wednesday night, Cruz's bill is written to block any refugee who is "a national of, has habitually resided in, or is claiming refugee status due to events in" a country with substantial territory controlled "by a Foreign Terrorist Organization, as designated by the State Department." Cruz's much-criticized (but potentially popular) exception for Christians is intended to be covered by a line allowing a refugee to enter the United States if he "is a member of a group that has been designated by the Secretary of State or by an Act of Congress as a victim of genocide."

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.): an amendment to the Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development Appropriations Act
Rolled out Monday — before Cruz's bill, as Paul's team would be first to point out — this bill would prohibit any funds being used to "provide or administer assistance to aliens admitted" from any of the following nations: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and "the Palestinian Territories."

Sen. David Vitter (R-La.): The Syrian Refugee Verification and Safety Act of 2015
Vitter, who has been lagging far behind in his race for governor of Louisiana, quickly seized on the issue of refugee resettlement and pledged to stop it if elected. (There are serious legal questions about whether that's even possible). His bill would "suspend the admission and resettlement of aliens seeking refugee status because of the conflict in Syria until adequate protocols are established to protect the national security of the United States." Unlike Paul, Vitter does not delineate the countries affected; unlike Cruz, he does not provide an exception for any specific group of people. And while the legislation establishes a multi-stage process by which the Obama administration could prove that it is vetting refugees, it would subject its proof to a congressional disapproval vote. Vitter also asks for "the identity of the aliens admitted to the United States as refugees since 2001 who subsequently engaged in criminal or terrorist conduct."

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.): The Give States a Chance Act of 2015
A short attempt to fix the potential legal issues with the mass revolt of governors against refugee resettlement; it would "authorize the Governor of any State in which it is proposed to place or resettle a Syrian refugee to refuse such placement or resettlement if the Governor makes certain certifications."

Rep. Brian Babin (R-Tex.): The Refugee Resettlement Accountability National Security Act of 2015
The Texas freshman's legislation predates the current panic by four months, and would prevent the admission of any "alien under section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1157) until such time as Congress passes a joint resolution giving the Secretary authority to resume admitting aliens under such section." As Babin has said since this weekend, his bill would fully halt any new refugees arriving from Iraq and Syria — a position he is ready to defend against anyone.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/19/a-quick-guide-to-the-gop-bills-that-would-bar-middle-east-refugees/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SCREENSHOT OF A POLITICAL TWEET

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 19, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I knew being fb friends with binow would pay off

You posted in the wrong thread, boyo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoops!

Before everyone gets terribly worried about this hate legislation, a reporter I follow on twitter was on a conference call with Cornyn yesterday where he said none of these bills are going to move in either chamber.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.): an amendment to the Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development Appropriations Act
Rolled out Monday — before Cruz's bill, as Paul's team would be first to point out — this bill would prohibit any funds being used to "provide or administer assistance to aliens admitted" from any of the following nations: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and "the Palestinian Territories."

Noted Islamic nations Russia and North Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Intrade don't exist no more, shut down by the feds. PredictIt is where it's at now and it's pretty easy money

• Locked thread